Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just if.....

Started by LZH, September 27, 2017, 10:07:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

The real nightmare scenario is 6-6, CBB surviving with only 12 new recruits coming in, losing some valuable seniors, and knowing he is on the hot seat to be fired killing recruiting for 2019.  I am praying this season ends in disaster or a miracle...either one...so that we enter next season either with a new coach or at least without the guillotine hanging over Bret threatening to set us back for a couple years in recruiting.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 28, 2017, 12:16:35 pm
The real nightmare scenario is 6-6, CBB surviving with only 12 new recruits coming in, losing some valuable seniors, and knowing he is on the hot seat to be fired killing recruiting for 2019.  I am praying this season ends in disaster or a miracle...either one...so that we enter next season either with a new coach or at least without the guillotine hanging over Bret threatening to set us back for a couple years in recruiting.

The recruiting is already going to take a hit.  Long could put out a statement today say something to the affect of "Bret Bielema is doing a great job", "it's not all about wins", "we're going in the right direction"...  The fact of the matter is, we're going to end up 12th in the SEC again in recruiting.  ...and it may worsen if they keep him here.  Time to cut the cord.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 10:39:11 am
Why would you take $7m over $15.4 spread over 3 years? The tax implications say spread it out, there may be a tax cut, lol.....

In order to collect the full buyout of his contract, Bielema would have to leave the college coaching profession for at least the next 3 years because if he takes a new college coaching job, the money he makes from it would be subtracted from his buyout. That's why I believe if the U of A offered him a 10 million dollar buyout with no strings attached that would not be lessened it he took another job, he would accept the offer to resign.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 11:10:26 am
That's what mitigate means.   Negotiate for seven million, waive the mitigation and walk into a three million dollar job the next year.  The total for a three million dollar a year job for three years and seven million up front payment that you don't have to mitigate is $16 million.  Or, take your buyout in full with the terms of the contract and if you take that three million dollar a year job, your buyout will be reduced and the most you'll make is $15.7 million or $11 million if after January 1st.

Assuming he gets that job.......lots of speculation, we can only deal with the facts as they currently are.

hawgon

We're Arkansas.  What do you think we'll do?

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 28, 2017, 12:24:10 pm
In order to collect the full buyout of his contract, Bielema would have to leave the college coaching profession for at least the next 3 years because if he takes a new college coaching job, the money he makes from it would be subtracted from his buyout. That's why I believe if the U of A offered him a 10 million dollar buyout with no strings attached that would not be lessened it he took another job, he would accept the offer to resign.

If's and but's.......

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 12:27:19 pm
Assuming he gets that job.......lots of speculation, we can only deal with the facts as they currently are.

Did I ever say it was anything but?  In fact, I said it depended on what Bert would want to do and what kind of job he would think he could get.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 28, 2017, 12:20:35 pm
The recruiting is already going to take a hit.  Long could put out a statement today say something to the affect of "Bret Bielema is doing a great job", "it's not all about wins", "we're going in the right direction"...  The fact of the matter is, we're going to end up 12th in the SEC again in recruiting.  ...and it may worsen if they keep him here.  Time to cut the cord.
Send your check in.

GuvHog

Finishing 6-6 this year would mean finishing with a 3-5 conference record in his 5th season and I don't see him surviving that bad of a conference record to coach the Hogs another year. I believe he has to finish at least 4-4 in conference play and win the rest of the Non conference games to possibly get another year.

elksnort

were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas....

hogblitz

Yep. 

WOOPIGMAN

Guys, I tried telling you what we have planned already. Miles will be our next coach. Just support our boys and hope is on the way! Better recruiting with better assistants!

hogblitz

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 28, 2017, 12:35:26 pm
Guys, I tried telling you what we have planned already. Miles will be our next coach. Just support our boys and hope is on the way! Better recruiting with better assistants!
Do you have some insider knowledge or is this just your opinion?

WOOPIGMAN

Read my most recent thread Guys I tried telling you

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 12:42:28 pm

He doesn't have insider knowledge.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 12:46:24 pm

He doesn't have insider knowledge.
But he does have knowledge of his insides...

Kevin

6 win year is a nightmare
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 28, 2017, 11:12:43 am
I think y'all are missing the main issue in this thread.

Did LZH just if ???

No kidding. Didn't intend to do anymore than start a conversation about who's out there that is a good coach and would take the job.

LZH

I never considered the January 1 buyout vs being fired after the Mizzou game. My point on that is I just don't think he will be here next year.

Next1_04

Quote from: LZH on September 28, 2017, 01:56:25 pm
I never considered the January 1 buyout vs being fired after the Mizzou game. My point on that is I just don't think he will be here next year.

How much you willing to wager he will be Arkansas Coach next year?

LZH

Quote from: Next1_04 on September 28, 2017, 02:11:55 pm
How much you willing to wager he will be Arkansas Coach next year?

Well that depends on what he does or doesn't do the rest of the season.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 12:42:28 pm

Read his post history, that will answer the question for you.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Foshodo on September 28, 2017, 06:13:57 am
When he wasn't fired after Toledo I knew this type of scenario wasn't an option...

Year 3 vs year 5.  Totally different process.  Lots of BS losses since then.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: code red on September 28, 2017, 11:07:33 am
Well.  The question must be asked.  If he is fired or if he leaves.  What school in the SEC would hire him.....ever?  He is between a rock and a hard place.  He needs to win next year just to be considered as a power 5 coaching candidate.

Man, I would love to be between that rock and hard place. I am quite sure that Bret has financial advisors that will keep his ship righted. Personally, I would continue to work my tail off at AR, draw my $4 million plus salary and let the chips fall. I would accept nothing less than the full payout. The AD signed off, with approval, on the contract so live with it.

Bret is assured of a comfortable nest egg for the remainder of his life regardless of how it turns out. That's assuming he makes prudent decisions with his money. Kudos to him. I just wish I could be his financial advisor.

Razor1997

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 27, 2017, 10:37:50 pm
Arkansas isn't a top 20 job...again ego.

No, but it used to be.

LZH

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on September 28, 2017, 09:25:18 pm
Damn sure was just five years ago.

i think we still are. great facilities. nwa is a great place to live. good pay.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 09:31:12 pm

Read somewhere that a guy suggested BB's biggest problem has been his position coaches.  Not necessarily his coordinators but individual position coaches. I thought that was interesting since player development comes up alot.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on September 28, 2017, 09:37:23 pm
Read somewhere that a guy suggested BB's biggest problem has been his position coaches.  Not necessarily his coordinators but individual position coaches. I thought that was interesting since player development comes up alot.

oline, dline i would assume. we seem good at rb, wr, te, qb, db

jethro

Any good AD will tell you, you should only fire if you have a better option that you know will come.

Iffy situations will kill you.  Remember the basketball program and thinking Gillispie was coming and then having to scramble afterward.  Yeah he flamed out at Kentucky.  That isn't the point.  WE made a move with what we thought would happen and then had to settle.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

LZH

Quote from: jethro on September 28, 2017, 09:55:58 pm
Any good AD will tell you, you should only fire if you have a better option that you know will come.

Iffy situations will kill you.  Remember the basketball program and thinking Gillispie was coming and then having to scramble afterward.  Yeah he flamed out at Kentucky.  That isn't the point.  WE made a move with what we thought would happen and then had to settle.

The LSU/Miles/Orgeron fiasco certainly caused me to cool my jets on "Fire him now and get a REAL coach in here!"

moses_007

Quote from: jethro on September 28, 2017, 09:55:58 pm

And we settled on John Pelphrey, who turned out to be our second bad basketball coach in a row.  The football program is right now where the basketball program was back in 2007.

GuvHog

Quote from: moses_007 on September 29, 2017, 12:20:32 am
And we settled on John Pelphrey, who turned out to be our second bad basketball coach in a row.  The football program is right now where the basketball program was back in 2007.

Actually we settled on the head coach from Creighton (Dana Altman who is now at Oregon) who would have been a solid hire if John White had not stuck his nose where it didn't belong. His meddling caused Altman to change his mind and set off a mad scramble resulting in Pel being hired.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Hogwild

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 09:31:12 pm

I think the job would be in the 20-30 range, one would have to figure that 8 SEC jobs that are better, atleast 4 each from the Big 10, ACC, Pac-12 and  2 more from the Big 12.