Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just if.....

Started by LZH, September 27, 2017, 10:07:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 09:25:14 am

Naw. He will be allowed to finish the season. Most likely he finds a way to get to six wins anyway and gets 2018.

It depends if they really want him gone.  If so, they'll not give him a chance to right the ship.

ricepig

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 08:38:31 am
Are you still "dug in" to he isn't going anywhere?  Just curious of if your opinion has changed at all over the last few weeks. 

I think he'll get next season, but I'm not blind to the pressure mounting. If he wins 6 games I think he will be back, 5 is real questionable, and 3 or 4 will have him dismissed.

ricepig

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on September 28, 2017, 06:30:19 am
Why would he be terminated after the Mizzou game when Jan 1, 2018 is less than 6 weeks away? Saving what - $3.7 million less whatever BB's actual salary is for those 6 weeks?

Because we will sign our recruiting class in Dec in the early signing period, I don't see Long letting him sign a class then, and then firing him

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 09:30:15 am
It depends if they really want him gone.  If so, they'll not give him a chance to right the ship.

"They" would only have thought of a discussion for termination if be wins 5 or less. Most likely 5 keeps him safe if the games are competitive.

Most pundits had arkansas as a 6 or 7 win team. As frustrating as it is, it isn't like he is blowing what was supposed to be a 11 win season.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: sowmonella on September 27, 2017, 10:38:47 pm
I am convinced of just the opposite. I'm hearing the RF power brokers are very firm behind CBB right now.

Hearing the same.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 09:35:43 am

"They" would only have thought of a discussion for termination if be wins 5 or less. Most likely 5 keeps him safe if the games are competitive.

Most pundits had arkansas as a 6 or 7 win team. As frustrating as it is, it isn't like he is blowing what was supposed to be a 11 win season.

Too many variables for you to say anything so definitive right now.  If we lose Saturday, or even if we scrape out a win but lose by three touchdowns to USCe, there will be people with some pull, not just message board stiffs, who want him fired immediately.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 09:41:20 am
Too many variables for you to say anything so definitive right now.  If we lose Saturday, or even if we scrape out a win but lose by three touchdowns to USCe, there will be people with some pull, not just message board stiffs, who want him fired immediately.

He won't be fired mid season.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

KennyForAD

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 27, 2017, 10:27:52 pm
Don't want any of your crappy choices..Patterson is who I want but he wouldn't leave TCU for Arkansas. Let that sink in for a minute before your ego takes off.

He wont leave TCU for ANYWHERE

Ideally, He would be removed today and given an Associate AD position.  He could continue to do very little there as opposed to on the field.  Enos could take over the team and be given a raise with promises of being considered for the job long term DEPENDING ON HOW HE HANDLES THE REST OF THIS SEASON.  I believe most fans who actually follow the Razorbacks do not trust Jeff Long to make the right hire so even if he is the best that ever was, it should be made clear when you bumped BB up the ladder that whomever became his replacement would be chosen by, (fill in the blank).  Just make it clear that Jeff wouldn't be doing the hiring by himself.

As for coaches, we must be especially careful here.  Piss poor selections have been the norm for so long its sad.  This is where the poor on field showing starts and pretty much ends.

Miles:  Not a great coach and if he tried the same schemes here that he operated at LSU, our gain might be 1 game annually at best.

Gundy, along with the Oilman's millions, brought Okie St. to the forefront, but nearly every time he has a special squad, he manages to lost to a lessor when the stakes are very high.  Really good teams usually don't get beat by a lessor.  Okie St, usually does.

Peterson won't come here but should be asked.

Fuente seems very good but why would he leave much better job to come to a worse job in a conference that has a history of being tougher than the conference he is in right now.

Venables:  I like the Guy but WHY hasn't someone taken him way before now.  I wouldn't rule him out just because he has fire in his belly and refuses to be denied, maybe the 2 most important traits you must have to be a successful coach at any level.

Remember the next selection will have the same profound effect on the program that the past 6 have had.  We didn't become a doormat overnight, but we did fight and scrap our way to the bottom.  It took time and lots of wasted money.  We cannot miss on the next hire. 

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 09:31:06 am
I think he'll get next season, but I'm not blind to the pressure mounting. If he wins 6 games I think he will be back, 5 is real questionable, and 3 or 4 will have him dismissed.
I do not think he gets to 6.  I think 4-8 OR 5-7 is probable.   But, let's say he does get to 6 or even 7. Does he not jump ship at that point? The smart move would be to leave after being bowl eligible.  It would help with future opportunities.   I do not think under any circumstance he will ever be fired.  It will be a mutual agreement to part ways and they will negotiate a settlement and possibly modify the language in the contract to not penalize him financially for taking another head coaching job.( If that language exists, not sure)

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 10:02:24 am
I do not think he gets to 6.  I think 4-8 OR 5-7 is probable.   But, let's say he does get to 6 or even 7. Does he not jump ship at that point? The smart move would be to leave after being bowl eligible.  It would help with future opportunities.   I do not think under any circumstance he will ever be fired.  It will be a mutual agreement to part ways and they will negotiate a settlement and possibly modify the language in the contract to not penalize him financially for taking another head coaching job.( If that language exists, not sure)

Who is he going to jump to that pays him what he is making.

You are wanting him to jump ship but most likely he won't. Doesn't make any kind of sense from his perspective.

Wishful thinking

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 12247 on September 28, 2017, 09:57:46 am
Ideally, He would be removed today and given an Associate AD position.  He could continue to do very little there as opposed to on the field.  Enos could take over the team and be given a raise with promises of being considered for the job long term DEPENDING ON HOW HE HANDLES THE REST OF THIS SEASON.  I believe most fans who actually follow the Razorbacks do not trust Jeff Long to make the right hire so even if he is the best that ever was, it should be made clear when you bumped BB up the ladder that whomever became his replacement would be chosen by, (fill in the blank).  Just make it clear that Jeff wouldn't be doing the hiring by himself.

As for coaches, we must be especially careful here.  Piss poor selections have been the norm for so long its sad.  This is where the poor on field showing starts and pretty much ends.

Miles:  Not a great coach and if he tried the same schemes here that he operated at LSU, our gain might be 1 game annually at best.

Gundy, along with the Oilman's millions, brought Okie St. to the forefront, but nearly every time he has a special squad, he manages to lost to a lessor when the stakes are very high.  Really good teams usually don't get beat by a lessor.  Okie St, usually does.

Peterson won't come here but should be asked.

Fuente seems very good but why would he leave much better job to come to a worse job in a conference that has a history of being tougher than the conference he is in right now.

Venables:  I like the Guy but WHY hasn't someone taken him way before now.  I wouldn't rule him out just because he has fire in his belly and refuses to be denied, maybe the 2 most important traits you must have to be a successful coach at any level.

Remember the next selection will have the same profound effect on the program that the past 6 have had.  We didn't become a doormat overnight, but we did fight and scrap our way to the bottom.  It took time and lots of wasted money.  We cannot miss on the next hire. 

When the time comes....

Mike Norvell

PRJ

rhames

I would take Gundy over Norvell.

hogblitz

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 10:04:00 am

Who is he going to jump to that pays him what he is making.

You are wanting him to jump ship but most likely he won't. Doesn't make any kind of sense from his perspective.

Wishful thinking
He is NEVER going to make that kind of money again.  However, if he takes a lower tier job making 2.5 million and we negotiate an 8 or 9 million buyout for him to walk away and do not penalize him for taking another head coaching job?!   That's a no brainer. 

Airforcehawg

I wonder if a run at Greg Schiano would be made. Currently the AHC/DC at Ohio State...proven college coach with an NFL background. I don't think he will be at OSU for to much longer as Meyer alluded to the fact that 2 schools made a run at him last year for a HC position. 

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 10:09:05 am
He is NEVER going to make that kind of money again.  However, if he takes a lower tier job making 2.5 million and we negotiate an 8 or 9 million buyout for him to walk away and do not penalize him for taking another head coaching job?!   That's a no brainer. 

Haha. Keep telling yourself that.

FYI if he leaves for another job he owes us 2MM

You're in the compromising stage of the denial process.

hogblitz

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 10:13:52 am

Do you not understand the contract will be altered? Everything is negotiable!!   Bielema will not pay 2 million to walk away.  They will waive that.  I guarantee you that at some point he will be gone whenever that may be and that the current contract will NOT be followed to a "T". 

hawgon

Forget Gundy.

He isn't coming.  He WOULD HAVE come five years ago, but he has done really well since and the main reason he would have come then was T. Boone Pickens didn't like him and was really up in his business.  Well, that was five years ago.  T. Boone is 89 now and barely leaves his ranch these days.  Needless to say, he isn't nearly as involved over there as he used to be.

Father Time solved the main reason Gundy wanted to go.

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 10:19:08 am
Do you not understand the contract will be altered? Everything is negotiable!!   Bielema will not pay 2 million to walk away.  They will waive that.  I guarantee you that at some point he will be gone whenever that may be and that the current contract will NOT be followed to a "T". 

Lol.

Say you're about to get fired by your job. You're a hard worker and the company respects you it's just time for a change. The agreement is upon termination you are to be paid out all vacation days not used. You're such a hard worker you have a great amount built up.

So they sit you down and only want to pay you half of what was agreed upon. Would you agree to that or take what they will have to pay you per the agreement at employment?

Bielema has all the power in that. Agree to a lesser buyout or don't. Either way once Arkansas sits down with him the decision is made .

He is going to take the  money that is says he is due at termination.

You can do mental gymnastics all day to see a way it doesn't happen. I mean you're not the one paying it so why not deal in reality?

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 10:13:52 am

Yes, and he's talking about restructuring that portion of his contract, thus waiving his side of the buyout.  That's what we did with Nutt.  We allowed him to take another job, but we ended up paying him a portion of his contract.  Regardless of the fact that we owed him nothing if "he took another head coaching job".  He was fired, just as Bielema will be.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 28, 2017, 10:30:43 am
Yes, and he's talking about restructuring that portion of his contract, thus waiving his side of the buyout.  That's what we did with Nutt.  We allowed him to take another job, but we ended up paying him a portion of his contract.  Regardless of the fact that we owed him nothing if "he took another head coaching job".  He was fired, just as Bielema will be.

And the school was shamed. The AD this time won't do that. It isn't going to happen.

I get what the poster is talking about I'm just saying it won't happen

Houston also got a raise over what he made in 2007 when he left for ole miss.

hogblitz

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 10:25:46 am

Lol.

Say you're about to get fired by your job. You're a hard working and the company respects you it's just time for a change. The agreement is upon termination you are to be paid out all vacation days not used. You're such a hard worker you have a great amount built up.

So they sit you down and only want to pay you half of what was agreed upon. Would you agree to that or take what they will have to pay you per the agreement at employment?
Legally Bielema  would have every right to take the full amount of money.   I do not dispute that.  If he does though, he is flushing his career down the toilet at 48 years old.  No one will EVER hire him to be a head coach again by the time 2020 comes.    That's why he would get out as quickly as he can and take as much of our money with him as he can and try to revive his career somewhere else. 

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 10:33:17 am
Legally Bielema  would have every right to take the full amount of money.   I do not dispute that.  If he does though, he is flushing his career down the toilet at 48 years old.  No one will EVER hire him to be a head coach again by the time 2020 comes.    That's why he would get out as quickly as he can and take as much of our money with him as he can and try to revive his career somewhere else. 

Why? Because the university made a bad contract with him and he made them pay up?

Lol.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 10:32:38 am

And the school was shamed. The AD this time won't do that. It isn't going to happen.

I get what the poster is talking about I'm just saying it won't happen

Houston also got a raise over what he made in 2007 when he left for ole miss.

If they throw 6-7 million at an immediate buyout and remove his non coaching stipulation and make some other concessions, he'd jump at it.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 28, 2017, 10:35:46 am
If they throw 6-7 million at an immediate buyout and remove his non coaching stipulation and make some other concessions, he'd jump at it.

Doubt it.

ricepig

Why would you take $7m over $15.4 spread over 3 years? The tax implications say spread it out, there may be a tax cut, lol.....

hogblitz

Lol.  You know exactly what I am saying.  It is just business.  For some reason, he refuses to think about it objectively in strictly a business manner. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 10:39:11 am
Why would you take $7m over $15.4 spread over 3 years? The tax implications say spread it out, there may be a tax cut, lol.....

It would be 11.4 million after 1-1-18.

He can also coach immediately, and he has a clean resume'. 

There's also a matter of spreading the payments out even longer if needed.  Creative accounting.

They should probably bite the bullet and make the move now and just pay the 15 million.  ...but they won't.

hogblitz

I am sure if they go that route they would handle whatever payout there is to benefit both parties. 

ricepig

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 10:44:30 am
I am sure if they go that route they would handle whatever payout there is to benefit both parties. 

The contract states that any buyout will be paid by the money owed, divided by the number of months, left on the contract. I realize those can be negotiated however they agree, but it takes two to tango and agree.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 28, 2017, 10:44:12 am
It would be 11.4 million after 1-1-18.

He can also coach immediately, and he has a clean resume'. 

There's also a matter of spreading the payments out even longer if needed.  Creative accounting.

They should probably bite the bullet and make the move now and just pay the 15 million.  ...but they won't.

Maybe, maybe not. Nobody wants Les, and he has a NC, his agent, who got him this buyout, may recommend the whole enchilada.

hawgon

I don't know about the exact amount, but not having to mitigate it would be a reason to take a lesser sum immediately.  It would depend on if he thinks he can get another high paying job quickly.

If he he thinks he can get another job making $3 or $4 million within a year or so, then that $7 million or whatever the figure might be could well be more than he would get otherwise.

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 10:53:37 am
Maybe, maybe not. Nobody wants Les, and he has a NC, his agent, who got him this buyout, may recommend the whole enchilada.
The other unknown factor is will they be calling our bluff? Will Bielema actually want out for the sake of his career?

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 11:00:06 am
I don't know about the exact amount, but not having to mitigate it would be a reason to take a lesser sum immediately.  It would depend on if he thinks he can get another high paying job quickly.

If he he thinks he can get another job making $3 or $4 million within a year or so, then that $7 million or whatever the figure might be could well be more than he would get otherwise.

Any salary he takes is deducted from the buyout.

code red

Long has no intention for Brett going anywhere.  Therefore.  No plan is in place to search for a replacement.  I may disagree with it, but, that's my opinion.  The board could step in a guess but, I would imagine at that point Long my walk.  I get the sense CBB is here for at least another year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 11:02:04 am
The other unknown factor is will they be calling our bluff? Will Bielema actually want out for the sake of his career?

Who's bluff? Lol. You can't tell a coach you want to fire him for a smaller buyout then keep him if he declines. That's the whole point I'm making. Arkansas has no bargaining power in that scenario.

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 11:03:05 am
They could change that language in the contract to appease Bielema. 

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 11:05:05 am
They could change that language in the contract to appease Bielema. 

The language already appeases him.

code red

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 11:02:04 am
Well.  The question must be asked.  If he is fired or if he leaves.  What school in the SEC would hire him.....ever?  He is between a rock and a hard place.  He needs to win next year just to be considered as a power 5 coaching candidate. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogblitz

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 11:04:50 am

Who's bluff? Lol. You can't tell a coach you want to fire him for a smaller buyout then keep him if he declines. That's the whole point I'm making. Arkansas has no bargaining power in that scenario.
The question is does Bielema want to stay at Arkansas and risk destroying his career any further.   That is the million dollar question.  If he does want to be here, you fire him and pay the full amount.  If he does not want to be here, you make a deal.  Not too hard to understand. 

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2017, 11:03:05 am

That's what mitigate means.   Negotiate for seven million, waive the mitigation and walk into a three million dollar job the next year.  The total for a three million dollar a year job for three years and seven million up front payment that you don't have to mitigate is $16 million.  Or, take your buyout in full with the terms of the contract and if you take that three million dollar a year job, your buyout will be reduced and the most you'll make is $15.7 million or $11 million if after January 1st.

rhames

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 11:09:04 am
The question is does Bielema want to stay at Arkansas and risk destroying his career.   That is the million dollar question.  If he does want to be here, you fire him and pay the full amount.  If he does not want to be here, you make a deal.  Not too hard to understand. 

It's dumb logic. You are trying to conceed to an outcome that gives more promise to his termination. It won't happen that way. He would be fired either way in any scenario.

In the end the 15MM doesn't matter if they want him gone. They will pay him.

PonderinHog

I think y'all are missing the main issue in this thread.

Did LZH just if ???

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 11:10:26 am
That's what mitigate means.   Negotiate for seven million, waive the mitigation and walk into a three million dollar job the next year.  The total for a three million dollar a year job for three years and seven million up front payment that you don't have to mitigate is $16 million.  Or, take your buyout in full with the terms of the contract and if you take that three million dollar a year job, your buyout will be reduced and the most you'll make is $15.7 million or $11 million if after January 1st.

Do the math on all of that within the current restraints on what the buyout would be reduced with any salary he gets from a new job per the contract and get back to us.

Bielema has all the power. He is meant to come out on top either way.

He isn't leaving any money on the table.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 11:14:55 am

Do the math on all of that within the current restraints on what the buyout would be reduced with any salary he gets from a new job per the contract and get back to us.

Bielema has all the power. He is meant to come out on top either way.

He isn't leaving any money on the table.

Since any new job is purely speculative, that is impossible and as I said, is dependent solely on what Bert would think that he could and what he wanted to do.

Bu remember, he HAS A DUTY TO ATTEMPT to mitigate.  He doesn't get to sit in his arse.  He has to make good faith attempts to get a new job and earn a salary.  And it is at least implied that the salary would have to be at the market rate.  For instance, he couldn't tell a school that you can hire me for one dollar a year and let Arkansas pay my salary for the next three years.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 11:25:08 am
Since any new job is purely speculative, that is impossible and as I said, is dependent solely on what Bert would think that he could and what he wanted to do.

Bu remember, he HAS A DUTY TO ATTEMPT to mitigate.  He doesn't get to sit in his arse.  He has to make good faith attempts to get a new job and earn a salary.  And it is at least implied that the salary would have to be at the market rate.  For instance, he couldn't tell a school that you can hire me for one dollar a year and let Arkansas pay my salary for the next three years.

Yeah for sure. Not disagreeing that. And I believe he will do just that. He isn't going to negotiate with Arkansas though.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 11:27:06 am

Yeah for sure. Not disagreeing that. And I believe he will do just that. He isn't going to negotiate with Arkansas though.

He might.  It is akin to taking the payout in the lottery or letting them pay it out over time.  It is a calculated risk.

He could actually be leaving money on the table if he takes the full buyout in accordance with the contract.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on September 28, 2017, 11:30:43 am
He might.  It is akin to taking the payout in the lottery or letting them pay it out over time.  It is a calculated risk.

He could actually be leaving money on the table if he takes the full buyout in accordance with the contract.

Haha. Ok. You're just throwing anything out there at this point for the sake of argument.

"Sure I might get hit by a bus but I sure do love the taste of popcorn and the sound of farts"

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 11:27:06 am

...and I wouldn't blame him for sticking to us.  If we were dumb enough to give him this contract, we deserve the bed we made.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 28, 2017, 11:35:30 am
...and I wouldn't blame him for sticking to us.  If we were dumb enough to give him this contract, we deserve the bed we made.

Oh I agree and he will. No reason for him not to. Any person with a brain would.