Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#TravelTheTrail

Started by Rendezvous Cook, October 01, 2015, 11:22:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rendezvous Cook

Come travel the Natural State Golf Trail with www.executivegolfpackages.com, Sharpe Dunaway, Christina Lecuyer and others.  We will be visiting every course on the Trail in just 7 days!  At each course we will host a closest to the pin shootout, in which you can qualify to win a shot at $10,000.  This will be a great time and the courses will be offering great deals.  Pick a few days October 12-18 to come out and join us!

Rendezvous Cook

ricepig

I hope you shoot at a hole with grass on the green at Sage, unless you're driving the green on #10 or #17.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on October 02, 2015, 12:37:21 pm
I hope you shoot at a hole with grass on the green at Sage, unless you're driving the green on #10 or #17.

It'll have to be on #7 or #13. 5 and 11 are just mud.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on October 03, 2015, 12:38:46 pm

Well, you can drive the green on #10 or #17 if you're a big hitter.......

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on October 03, 2015, 01:21:45 pm
Well, you can drive the green on #10 or #17 if you're a big hitter.......

And 4

Rendezvous Cook

We'll take a shot at their best.  Come join us!

GolfNut57

Quote from: clutch on October 03, 2015, 12:38:46 pm

So what happened for them to lose the greens? Poor course management by the greenskeepers? Drought? What?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 03, 2015, 10:55:29 pm
So what happened for them to lose the greens? Poor course management by the greenskeepers? Drought? What?

A lot of rain in a really short period of time followed immediately by extreme heat and it set up a fungus. I've seen it happen to bent greens before. Happened out there about 6 years ago and the next year was followed up with some of the best greens I'd seen out there. I look for things to be good again next year. There wasn't much the greenskeeper could do about it. Just one of those things I think.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on October 04, 2015, 10:27:47 pm
A lot of rain in a really short period of time followed immediately by extreme heat and it set up a fungus. I've seen it happen to bent greens before. Happened out there about 6 years ago and the next year was followed up with some of the best greens I'd seen out there. I look for things to be good again next year. There wasn't much the greenskeeper could do about it. Just one of those things I think.

Yeah, I only play there on a couple of Monday's a year when we're closed, but it seemed most of the effected greens were in coves, or had tree lines that limited air movement.

GolfNut57

So what are the chances Sage will move away from bentgrass and go with something different for the greens?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 05, 2015, 06:49:47 pm
So what are the chances Sage will move away from bentgrass and go with something different for the greens?

Doubtful, actually played 9 there this afternoon with my youngest after he got out of school. They have grass coming back, they'd probably be good in a few weeks/ next spring if they'd shut down.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on October 05, 2015, 01:56:53 pm
Yeah, I only play there on a couple of Monday's a year when we're closed, but it seemed most of the effected greens were in coves, or had tree lines that limited air movement.

Yep. It was on all the holes that don't get good air movement.

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 05, 2015, 06:49:47 pm

I don't see that happening. Their greens are usually pretty good. One fluke caused by weather isn't going to make them change. The members all like putting the bent greens too.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on October 07, 2015, 08:41:15 am
Yep. It was on all the holes that don't get good air movement.

I don't see that happening. Their greens are usually pretty good. One fluke caused by weather isn't going to make them change. The members all like putting the bent greens too.

My youngest had played a youth PGA there this summer and said it was great, then the late June?? rains and we played out there in July/August and it was mud. I know at RP they run those fans all the time on their sheltered greens for circulation.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on October 07, 2015, 11:32:00 am
My youngest had played a youth PGA there this summer and said it was great, then the late June?? rains and we played out there in July/August and it was mud. I know at RP they run those fans all the time on their sheltered greens for circulation.

They usually do at sage too, but I just don't think it gave it enough this year. Like I said though, the last time this happened the next year the greens were the best they've ever been. Hoping for a repeat next year.

Rendezvous Cook

Quote from: ricepig on October 02, 2015, 12:37:21 pm

When were you there?  The greens were just fine for this time of year. Not perfect but dang sure had grass on them. 

ricepig

Quote from: Rendezvous Cook on October 17, 2015, 10:47:52 pm
When were you there?  The greens were just fine for this time of year. Not perfect but dang sure had grass on them. 

I actually played there recently and they made a good comeback, but you can ask anyone that played in July or August, they had about 6 that were bare/mud.

clutch

Quote from: Rendezvous Cook on October 17, 2015, 10:47:52 pm

I played the Racheal Stewart tournament there in August and they were the worst I'd ever seen them. I'm sure they are starting to make their comeback now because we've had perfect weather for bent grass greens the past couple months.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on October 18, 2015, 02:06:52 pm
I played the Racheal Stewart tournament there in August and they were the worst I'd ever seen them. I'm sure they are starting to make their comeback now because we've had perfect weather for bent grass greens the past couple months.

I actually played there Saturday, and they were in really good shape. In fact, my group was playing a little JCC, RP, Sage tournament amongst ourselves and they might have been the fastest greens. Of course, no one at Sage knows how to fix a ball mark or rake a bunker, so there's that.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on October 18, 2015, 02:22:00 pm
I actually played there Saturday, and they were in really good shape. In fact, my group was playing a little JCC, RP, Sage tournament amongst ourselves and they might have been the fastest greens. Of course, no one at Sage knows how to fix a ball mark or rake a bunker, so there's that.

That's the dang truth. I fix at least 5 ball marks on every green when I'm out there. Some lazy golfers out there.

Glad to hear they have started to come back. I decided to wait until next year to go back out there after the Stewart, but now I may have to make one more trip.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on October 18, 2015, 08:20:25 pm
That's the dang truth. I fix at least 5 ball marks on every green when I'm out there. Some lazy golfers out there.

Glad to hear they have started to come back. I decided to wait until next year to go back out there after the Stewart, but now I may have to make one more trip.

It was actually in the best shape I'd seen in a while. I had read in the Sun where they had hosted a tournament for the ASU girls team, so we figured it had to be in decent shape, and it surprised us.

Rendezvous Cook

Travel the Trail. Make a weekend of it, or even more!!

https://youtu.be/U8tbeywrMtM