Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

buy walmart

Started by Farrestor, July 19, 2011, 08:48:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

October 15, 2017, 05:01:53 pm #50 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:20:50 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: ErieHog on October 15, 2017, 04:39:49 pm
I hadn't tracked the dividends WM had been paying, but it should be illustrative of the overall soundness of long term investing.
Seems to me the problem that some investors encounter is that they often overlook TOTAL returns. In other words, for companies such as War-Mart who actually pay dividends, this fact must be factored into the return on investment. The math is simple: say you bought the stock at its current price (approximately $86.60 a share) but a year down the road the price hasn't moved an inch. At lot of folks would assume the stock's done "nothing". And yet in that period time the company has paid you an income of $2.04 (using the current dividend) or a "static" return of 2.57% (not factoring in any costs to purchase). That's a huge reason that when many pundits quote historical per annum average returns have equaled right at 10%. However, if you look more closely roughly 40% of that number is assuming compounded (reinvestment of dividends) figures. So almost half of the markets returns over the past (almost) 90 years has been accounted for by stock pay outs. Of course we're not even considering the potential for dividend INCREASES over time. No wonder financial "gurus" such as Warren Buffett absolutely salivate over opportunities with attractive total return possibilities.

Obviously taking that same example and applying to a company that pays nothing in terms of dividends gives you a totally different result. In that case you had better get price appreciation or you'd have been just as well off putting the funds in a mattress. Not only would you money not have appreciated, but you were assuming price risk. 

It goes without saying that every investor has to take his/her own situation such as age, income needs, risk tolerance, etc. into account anytime they're considering making an investment; and none more so than in the stock market. However, IMHO and experience, any stock investor, no matter how aggressive, would do well to include some dividend stocks in their portfolio.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 09:32:30 am
And what's exactly your point? Whether they do or don't has NOTHING to do with the meeting last week. We're obviously talking about two separate events. Hello!!!!!!!
No need to yell.  Missing out on the growth of WMT his year sucks.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigoBoys on October 15, 2017, 05:44:13 pm
Perhaps the exact point is to somehow get you to understand that yes, there are multiple meetings each and every year. Some are in NWA and others very likely in NYC or elsewhere. In this case last Tuesday's meeting happened to be held in Bentonville; obviously nothing whatsoever to do with any other purpose then to update the investment community on developments within their online offering(s). Calm and plain enough for ya'?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigoBoys on October 15, 2017, 05:44:13 pm
I suspect there's further future price appreciation ahead, especially if their aggressive online/internet initiatives continue to grow. Despite obituaries from much of the investment community, Amazon, as good as they may be, won't completely take over every bit of future retailing.

HawgWild

And WMT keeps chugging along.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on November 10, 2017, 02:12:06 pm
And WMT keeps chugging along.

Yep, back to our 2014 level, haha.

DeltaBoy

Wal mart a machine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

ricepig

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 01:53:00 pm
Dilly Dilly.....

Indeed, a move like that pays for a stadium renovation and a couple of buyouts with money to spare.  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 16, 2017, 03:31:39 pm
Indeed, a move like that pays for a stadium renovation and a couple of buyouts with money to spare.  ;)
I'm keeping mine! Maybe I can afford NEZ club seats now, if they'll block the sun when I want them too.

HawgWild

Up almost 11% on the day. Not a bad move for a mature company.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgWild on November 16, 2017, 05:20:32 pm
Up almost 11% on the day. Not a bad move for a mature company.
Reported excellent numbers for the latest quarter. Nice increase in same store sales and continued progress in the online division. While they're still "small potatoes" in the latter, especially compared with Amazon, their efforts at diversifying their sales channels appears to be paying off and they are very optimistic about the future.

Yep, stock tore through the old price high which had been $91.98. Closed up 10.9% at $99.62. As with most stocks this significant breaking through of the previous high water mark likely sets the stock for another move even higher. Whatever sellers that would have likely come in as the stock approached $92 have been swept away.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 05:18:06 pm
I'm keeping mine! Maybe I can afford NEZ club seats now, if they'll block the sun when I want them too.

I love being in the south end zone.  It puts us in the shade for most games, save early season games that start before 3:00

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 16, 2017, 06:13:07 pm
I love being in the south end zone.  It puts us in the shade for most games, save early season games that start before 3:00

Yep, I can't see the extra money for the NEZ, but it's not time to renew yet.

HawgWild

January 05, 2018, 09:26:04 am #65 Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:35:34 am by HawgWild
WMT crosses $100 pps threshold today. Does it hold?

HiggiePiggy

Probably eventually goes into the 200s or more.  I don't think they will split ever again.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ricepig

Another buying opportunity??

HawgWild

Don't you have enough already!?  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on February 20, 2018, 01:40:36 pm
Don't you have enough already!?  ;D
Got too much today, lol.....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on February 20, 2018, 03:27:44 pm
Got too much today, lol.....
Not when you look out from the perspective of a year or so down the road. I personally don't think anyone has the health of the company's business to worry about in any way, shape or form. Typical of this type market: Don't disappoint no matter what the reason(s), no matter how much the real or alleged disappointment. In fact, since the pullback the general attitude has most certainly changed to a great extent. Used to be even a miss was likely not going to kill the stock; lately it's been the old "shoot first, ask questions later".

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 20, 2018, 04:50:08 pm
Not when you look out from the perspective of a year or so down the road. I personally don't think anyone has the health of the company's business to worry about in any way, shape or form. Typical of this type market: Don't disappoint no matter what the reason(s), no matter how much the real or alleged disappointment. In fact, since the pullback the general attitude has most certainly changed to a great extent. Used to be even a miss was likely not going to kill the stock; lately it's been the old "shoot first, ask questions later".

Oh, I won't be selling, it's been in the portfolio since the late 70's.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ricepig on February 20, 2018, 10:09:18 am
Another buying opportunity??

I think it goes to $90. Little more dust to settle out. However, those with no exposure could nibble at these levels.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

March 02, 2018, 04:11:07 pm #73 Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:33:56 pm by Boardon Hamsay
Looks like WMT picked up an analyst downgrade and price target decrease this week due to slowing dotcom growth concerns. Mix that with the broader market tariff based sell off and we get the $88.77 closing price today. I suspect additional pressures will prevail in the short to mid term. Would likely hit resistance in the low to mid $90 and may not find support until it gets into the $70s. I think investors are finding WMT on the expensive side (TTM P/E is just over 27) compared to others (industry avg TTM P/E is 19 and change).  Overall, I could see another 20+% of downside from the current level versus only around 10-12% of more resistance pressured upside.  All upside bets are off due to breaching $90 so buying at these levels would warrant a lot of caution.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HawgWild

Huh?

"Walmart fell 2% even after the world's largest retailer posted stronger-than-expected third-quarter earnings and raised earnings guidance for its next fiscal year, rose 3.6% after its fiscal first-quarter earnings and sales topped analysts' expectations."

hog.goblin

Walmart U.S. Q3 comp sales grew 3.4% and Walmart U.S. eCommerce sales grew 43%, Q3 GAAP EPS of $0.58; Adjusted EPS of $1.08, Walmart now expects FY'19 GAAP EPS of $2.26 to $2.36, Walmart raises guidance for FY'19 Adjusted EPS to $4.75 to $4.85

That eCommerce number is huge if they can continue that trend.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on November 15, 2018, 12:15:06 pm
Huh?

"Walmart fell 2% even after the world's largest retailer posted stronger-than-expected third-quarter earnings and raised earnings guidance for its next fiscal year, rose 3.6% after its fiscal first-quarter earnings and sales topped analysts' expectations."

Because the people that knew this was going to be a good quarter bought back at $94 and are cashing out a quick profit. The rest of us read the news this morning, lol.

Vantage 8 dude

Wait, are you saying your going against the "Oracle of Omaha"-Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway? See in their just released filings that they've apparently sold all their WMT and moved toward holdings such as JP Morgan and PNC Bank. Not that this necessarily should influence anyone's personal investment decision.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 15, 2018, 09:25:48 pm
Wait, are you saying your going against the "Oracle of Omaha"-Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway? See in their just released filings that they've apparently sold all their WMT and moved toward holdings such as JP Morgan and PNC Bank. Not that this necessarily should influence anyone's personal investment decision.

It doesn't interest me at all, except that I own some Berkshire Hathaway stock.

kingofdequeen

you idiots should always listen to Farrestor.   few have his insight.

HawgWild

Up 7.5%+ so far today.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on August 27, 2020, 12:34:48 pm
Up 7.5%+ so far today.

Tick tock , of course not spelled correctly, lol.

rzrbackramsfan

Yes, aggressive move on the Tik Tok possible acquisition with Microsoft. 

I wonder how Wal Marts initiative to do drive in movies in their parking lots is going?