Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Development of offensive linemen has been our downfall.

Started by luke hawg, May 14, 2017, 11:28:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RT1941

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2017, 08:37:57 am
Defense has been the issue, and will continue to be until safety and lb play improve. In both the Mizzu and Vt games, the defense got torched, repeatedly, in the second half. At Mizzu, if not for three drops of wide open passes and a bad overthrow of an open receiver, the Hogs would have trailed at half time.
Put a stout D on the field, and it will make everything else look better.  Takes pressure off the offense, oline, etc.  A top shelf defense hides a lot of deficiencies in other areas and gives folks time to develop, gain experience, build depth.
RazorTusk!!!!

Pudgepork

It works both ways, after all it is a team game.  The offense could have made the d numbers
much better if they had converted some of those 3rd and 1 chances in the red zones.   Against
some teams the O had multpile chances in the red zone and garnered no points. 
The time used from the clock in made 1st downs would have helped the D numbers and in at least a couple of games the added points would have crushed the others teams momentum

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pudgepork on May 15, 2017, 05:34:20 pm
It works both ways, after all it is a team game.  The offense could have made the d numbers
much better if they had converted some of those 3rd and 1 chances in the red zones.   Against
some teams the O had multpile chances in the red zone and garnered no points. 
The time used from the clock in made 1st downs would have helped the D numbers and in at least a couple of games the added points would have crushed the others teams momentum

Yes it does, but you only stated it one way.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs-n-Roses

Face it. The numbers don't lie. 3-9,7-6,8-5,7-6. We lose to Auburn by 7 touchdowns, if you had Arkansas and 50+ points you lost. Lost to 3 other SEC west teams by 3 or more touchdowns. Made Mizzous season.Embarrasing on and off the field against V Tech. We are a bad football program right now.
IE Its not just the O line!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 15, 2017, 05:51:36 pm
Face it. The numbers don't lie. 3-9,7-6,8-5,7-6. We lose to Auburn by 7 touchdowns, if you had Arkansas and 50+ points you lost. Lost to 3 other SEC west teams by 3 or more touchdowns. Made Mizzous season.Embarrasing on and off the field against V Tech. We are a bad football program right now.
IE Its not just the O line!

Lot's of issues that need to be addressed and you are right, it isn't just the O-line.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 15, 2017, 04:14:53 pm
In order to appease the rabid fan base for wins, Bielema has had to play younger players than he would like. He has yet been able to "develop" players. I believe I see a beginning.
Alabama, LSU, ATM, Georgia, Fl. Auburn have a built in recruiting advantage. People who can't figure this out don't understand recruiting.
So, in order to appease a rabid fan base for wins he played young players and still lost.

Make sense.

greenie

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 14, 2017, 11:42:31 pm
If my son or the other guys on the line that I have contact with had a low opinion of Anderson, I wouldn't lie to everyone here and say the he was fine.  I just wouldn't reply. This is the honest truth from someone who's son plays for him.  He is excellent. 

Is he loud? Yes.  Is he demanding? Yes. Does he ride the players hard? Absolutely yes! But the most important thing is he fact he makes them better. He relates to the players and they relate to him.  They are on the same page.  The man knows offensive line.  Technically, he focuses on the smallest of details.  Hand position, feet width, first step length and angle.  It's all pounded into them over and over.  A great example is about first step. My son tells me guys are corrected, himself included, about their first step being too long by as little as a half inch during film study.  They focus on it in drills and by the next time that they scrimmage live a half inch shorter step is used and the speed, amount of leverage strength, and timing of the block is improved.  Anderson sees everything and coaches it up as well as anyone, anywhere could.  You can tell he has coached an NFL team that led the league in rushing. 

I'll end this little sermon by saying that my son came to Arkansas and Sam Pittman was his Oline coach.  We loved Coach Pittman.  When he left for Georgia it hurt.  Everyone was like family in that Oline group.  There was a transitional period as the guys got to know Coach Anderson. One year in, I will say that my son has learned more about the techniques, the mentality, and the physicality required to be a successful offensive lineman.  That would not be the case if it weren't for Coach Anderson. So in reply to greenie, he's more than solid and Arkansas is lucky to have him.

Good stuff.  Thank you, sir.

snoblind

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2017, 08:38:54 am
I agree that the O-Line made plenty of mistakes last year in terms of pass-pro but what no one seems to want to discuss is the QB not making proper reads at the LOS, not checking out of bad plays, missed blocking assignments by the RB's and TE's, WR's not finding the seams and getting open more quickly and then holding the ball too long trying to give them time to get open, which ultimately contributed to trying to force the ball, which at times, resulted in multiple INT's.

Merely quoting the number of Sacks is the low hanging fruit of making a post without digging deeper into what may have been contributing factors.

You know why folks don't want to discuss it. 

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 14, 2017, 10:28:53 pm
I agree with you but one difference and the only one that matters over the same time period that you chose, wins and loses.  BB is struggling to post 7 wins at UA while producing the same quality athletes during the same time period at UW.  The difference is the level of competition in the SEC but he should have known that if he had done his research.  Bottom line, what he is attempting to do in the SEC with his O philosophy may have worked at Whiskey but so far and I would take the gamble, won't or should I say, hasn't worked at UA.  The future will write the final chapter but so far, this isn't a book I want to read!

Lol. The Colon thinks offense is our problem. Haha.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: luke hawg on May 14, 2017, 11:50:06 am
Anyone that has read my posts would probably catergorize me as a Bielema nut hugger but I'm not going to deny the obvious. I personally believe that this is the first season he can be held 100 percent responsible for the success or failure of this group. At this point he needs to start getting results regardless of excuses justified or not.

Yep we changed assistant coaches and Coordinators so it is time to fish or cut bait for Coach. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Looking ahead to 2018, Bielema will have what SHOULD be the best OL he's had since arriving. Brian Wallace, Johnny Gibson, and Hjalte Froholdt will all have be 3 year starters. Colton Jackson SHOULD be a 2 year starter. The only "new" piece will be whoever takes over the center spot. Looks like that will be Zach Rogers
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.