Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whaley Set To Become Three-Down Back

Started by Mike Irwin, May 09, 2017, 08:11:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

DeltaBoy

Best of Luck to him and Woo Pig.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

nwahogfan1

On our running backs they are all good of course or they would not be on scholarship but the thing that separates the good from the outstanding especially in our system is reading the blocks to find the best hole to run through and then exploding through it.

When these RBs come from a spread where they are out most of the time in the open field to running in our power I it gets much harder to find those holes.  I just bet you many times the hole to run in is not the hole the play was designed to run. 

ChitownHawg

With the majority of carries the kid is going to have a breakout season.

SEC meet Mr. Devwah Whaley!  :razorback:
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

I think Whaley will do well.  My worry is the experience behind him.  We got a few horses but hardly any experience.

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on May 10, 2017, 08:53:55 pm
I think Whaley will do well.  My worry is the experience behind him.  We got a few horses but hardly any experience.

Don't underestimate Maleek Williams. The Guy is a Stud.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jgphillips3

I think come September, we will be thanking the good Lord that Maleek enrolled early.  We will miss the experience, enthusiasm and bright light that was RW3, but arguably, the pups are equally good talent wise (and Hayden probably is in fact more naturally gifted).  If Maleek or Hayden can take that #2 spot and let TJ motion into the backfield from the slot and from the backfield to the slot, we'll be just fine.  Probably have to use Day more early in pass pro but by the third or fourth game things should be rounding out.

Missooie

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 11, 2017, 01:09:35 pm
I think come September, we will be thanking the good Lord that Maleek enrolled early.  We will miss the experience, enthusiasm and bright light that was RW3, but arguably, the pups are equally good talent wise (and Hayden probably is in fact more naturally gifted).  If Maleek or Hayden can take that #2 spot and let TJ motion into the backfield from the slot and from the backfield to the slot, we'll be just fine.  Probably have to use Day more early in pass pro but by the third or fourth game things should be rounding out.

I don't think Day will see the field except in mop up duty, and maybe not even then. We might use the time to get more experience for CH and MW. Day has never proved himself to be able to do much since his injuries and the freshman both need experience.

Birminghog

And who is going to be Whaley's most ardent cheerleader? You got it. RWIII.

RazorWhacker

I have a feeling we are about to witness a young man become a full grown stud this fall. You could see him gaining confidence as the season progressed last year. Now the coaches have handed him the ball and said you're our man. He seems like the type that responds well under these circumstances.

Will miss RWIII, don't get me wrong. Whaley just strikes me as the type that will be proud to fill those shoes and put his whole heart into it.

Terryproy

:razorback: :razorback: Hope y'all are ready.... WooPig

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Terryproy on May 11, 2017, 09:34:46 pm

I am. I love that guy.
SOOIE

jgphillips3

I know your nephew would never have wanted this for Rawleigh, but just from observing him, I have to believe this will make him even better than he would otherwise have been with Rawleigh still playing.  He seems like the kind of kid that will take this mantle and bring the pups along behind him.  He could be a 1,500 yard back this fall.

ChitownHawg

I am very ready!  :razorback:
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Cmheinley

We're in good hands ladies and gentlemen. I firmly believe that.

pigroots

I don't worry about Devwah Whaley. I think he's got game. I worry if he gets banged up. And the rb spot is a place that can happen very easily. For a team that likes and needs to "pound the rock" we are thin without RWIII

jgphillips3

Quote from: pigroots on May 15, 2017, 09:35:47 am
I don't worry about Devwah Whaley. I think he's got game. I worry if he gets banged up. And the rb spot is a place that can happen very easily. For a team that likes and needs to "pound the rock" we are thin without RWIII

We will be able to run the ball.  TJ, Maleek and Hayden can all burn a defense.  The problem will be pass pro behind Devwah until about mid-season.  Again though, Maleek enrolling early may turn out to be huge in that area.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 15, 2017, 08:26:29 pm
We will be able to run the ball.  TJ, Maleek and Hayden can all burn a defense.  The problem will be pass pro behind Devwah until about mid-season.  Again though, Maleek enrolling early may turn out to be huge in that area.

Running the ball in the Pro I is much deferent than the spread so I am glad Maleek enrolled early and I hope Hayden can catch on quickly.  But i agree the hardest adjustment is picking up the blitzes so I hope the freshmen are quick learners.

PorkRinds

The blocking schemes may be what earn Juan Day some playing time.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: pigroots on May 15, 2017, 09:35:47 am

Same worries when JWill went down and AC did fine. My feeling is Devwah is a chiseled out of stone. Now if I am wrong I am blaming you for jinxing us.  ;)