Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Uniforms

Started by HogNdazs, May 06, 2017, 11:48:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 06, 2017, 04:58:07 pm
Before the 2015 season the NCAA banned what they termed "overbuilt" face masks.  Something the NFL did a year or two before.  The rationale was two fold. 
#1 The "overbuilt" mask was heavier and could effect the integrity of the safety features built into the helmet.

#2 The smaller openings in the mask increased the chances of an opponents finger being caught in the mask.

Rogers Redding, the coordinator of the National College Football Officiating organization wrote a summary article a couple years ago that you can find on the NCAA website about this rule change and a few others.

Which is pretty ironic seeing as the entire reason players were wearing them was to make it harder for somebody to grab their facemask and jerk their head in the first place.

I could see where it would change the balance of the helmet, but it isn't going to change the ability of the helmet to absorb an impact.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

El Duderino

I think these would look pretty nice

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 07, 2017, 04:39:47 pm
Which is pretty ironic seeing as the entire reason players were wearing them was to make it harder for somebody to grab their facemask and jerk their head in the first place.

I could see where it would change the balance of the helmet, but it isn't going to change the ability of the helmet to absorb an impact.
Here's a link to one of several articles about changes back in 2015.

https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/football/article/2015-08-25/ncaa-football-need-know-rules-changes-2015-season
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

LZH

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 07, 2017, 06:48:16 pm
Here's a link to one of several articles about changes back in 2015.

https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/football/article/2015-08-25/ncaa-football-need-know-rules-changes-2015-season

Are they still using metal coated in rubber for face masks these days? Back in my day they certainly were but I would think that by now they would start using some lightweight carbon fiber-type protection.

I wore a typical John Elway-looking facemask on offense, but switched helmets for defense. One that had a t-bar on it because I had been poked in the eye the year before. That lasted a couple of weeks at best. I agree, those do get heavy and cumbersome. I don't see how some of these guys can be comfortable in a helmet that is always trying to fall forward.

FANONTHEHILL

Most of the guys are wearing a Revo Speed or Revo Speed Flex.  A handful of guys wore a new Schutt design that the equipment guys wanted to try out.  I'm not sure what the verdict was regarding the Schmitt helmets.  They are still a metal covered with rubber, but the gauge of the wire is a lot smaller that it was 30 years ago when I was playing.  The vertical "T" bar is no where Robbie found anymore.  My son has had a Revo Speed the past two years and told me he's going to a Speed Flex this fall.  As far as masks, just about the most radical design is what Ragnow and  B Wall wore this spring.  In this picture Franks is wearing the Speed Flex (newer design that has the cut out plate over the forehead) and Froholdt is wearing the Revo Speed that's been around for a while.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

LZH

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 07, 2017, 07:40:49 pm
Most of the guys are wearing a Revo Speed or Revo Speed Flex.  A handful of guys wore a new Schutt design that the equipment guys wanted to try out.  I'm not sure what the verdict was regarding the Schmitt helmets.  They are still a metal covered with rubber, but the gauge of the wire is a lot smaller that it was 30 years ago when I was playing.  The vertical "T" bar is no where Robbie found anymore.  My son has had a Revo Speed the past two years and told me he's going to a Speed Flex this fall.  As far as masks, just about the most radical design is what Ragnow and  B Wall wore this spring.  In this picture Franks is wearing the Speed Flex (newer design that has the cut out plate over the forehead) and Froholdt is wearing the Revo Speed that's been around for a while.

The least amount of mass you have on the face of that helmet, the more comfortable it is. At least it was for me.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: LZH on May 07, 2017, 07:45:37 pm
The least amount of mass you have on the face of that helmet, the more comfortable it is. At least it was for me.
Absolutely.  Our younger son is going going ton be a Soph Olineman at Fayetteville this fall.  FHS has a program where players can buy a helmet and part of the deal is Riddell will recondition the helmets each off season and then the kids have something for the trophy case when they're done playing.  They came in last week and I was shocked how light and comfortable the Speed Flex helmets are.  His has a lineman mask and it's a feather compared to what inward expecting. 

LZH

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 07, 2017, 07:54:14 pm
Absolutely.  Our younger son is going going ton be a Soph Olineman at Fayetteville this fall.  FHS has a program where players can buy a helmet and part of the deal is Riddell will recondition the helmets each off season and then the kids have something for the trophy case when they're done playing.  They came in last week and I was shocked how light and comfortable the Speed Flex helmets are.  His has a lineman mask and it's a feather compared to what inward expecting. 

I took mine home after my senior season was over, it is still at my mother's house. Of course, no one said I could take it - I just assumed the worst that could happen was I would have to pay for it but no one ever said anything lol.

PorkSoda

Quote from: El Duderino on May 07, 2017, 04:49:17 pm
I think these would look pretty nice
awe the reverse mohawk.  wonder why that hairstyle never caught on...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 07, 2017, 08:01:42 pm
I took mine home after my senior season was over, it is still at my mother's house. Of course, no one said I could take it - I just assumed the worst that could happen was I would have to pay for it but no one ever said anything lol.

They discontinued those helmets with the webbing in the top  that year......

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2017, 09:17:33 pm

Ah, the old robot helmets. And just as I was looking forward to a newfangled Billy Kilmer look with that fancy single-bar facemask and no chinstrap.

The Boar War

Quote from: factchecker on May 06, 2017, 12:05:04 pm
Adidas probably owns the design rights to these but I would love to see them make a comeback:

Under Armour didn't seem to have any problems reproducing Wisconsin's adidas uniforms. 

Sed76

Just take that goofy looking tusk thing off the sleeves and put the running Hog on the sleeves.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Sed76 on May 07, 2017, 11:49:05 pm
Just take that goofy looking tusk thing off the sleeves and put the running Hog on the sleeves.
Wouldn't be hard to do if they design of the seams stays in the same place.  The "tusks" are just pieces of fabric there in the alternating color.  Could easily be done in the main jersey color.  Might be difficult to get a Razorback logo that would stretch over the sleeve though.  They can barely get the fabric over the shoulder pad flap as it is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 06, 2017, 09:41:35 pm
Great hike up in the North Cascades...

Did you ever find all of DB's stolen money.............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2017, 09:17:33 pm

PETA made them quit making em out of leather the year before.........................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SONofHAM

I don't believe we are getting new unis this year. 

People are assuming we are getting new uniforms because we have seen changes every couple of years in the past.  So far no one has produced an article or quote that makes me think we are getting new styles.

Hope I'm wrong.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: SONofHAM on May 06, 2017, 04:22:03 pm
Same with sweeping...definition even refers to across the board.

sweep·ing
ˈswēpiNG/
wide in range or effect.
"we cannot recommend any sweeping alterations"
synonyms:   extensive, wide-ranging, global, broad, comprehensive, all-inclusive, all-embracing, far-reaching, across the board; More
Proof that hogvillians will argue over anything  :P
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 08, 2017, 10:35:20 am
Proof that hogvillians will argue over anything  :P
I wasn't the one arguing.  The guy couldn't understand we were saying the same thing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: East Clintwood on May 07, 2017, 01:22:33 pm
I hate to see them replace the turf --- I'd rather they go back to grass.

I miss Razorturf, and his one man crusade to save the grass...  :(
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: SONofHAM on May 08, 2017, 10:29:55 am
I don't believe we are getting new unis this year. 

People are assuming we are getting new uniforms because we have seen changes every couple of years in the past.  So far no one has produced an article or quote that makes me think we are getting new styles.

Hope I'm wrong.

It's in this article, is it definitive, no, but it's based on history.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/03/mailbag-rawleigh-williams-injury-stadium-naming-ri/

SONofHAM

FraggleHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 08, 2017, 11:49:57 am
It's in this article, is it definitive, no, but it's based on history.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/03/mailbag-rawleigh-williams-injury-stadium-naming-ri/

Do I think there will be "tweaks" yes, but I don't foresee any major changes. A nod to tradtion by removing the tusks and adding the running hog on the sleeves would make me happy... But it's not about me... it's about what the recruits like.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

SONofHAM

Quote from: FraggleHog on May 08, 2017, 12:10:04 pm
Do I think there will be "tweaks" yes, but I don't foresee any major changes. A nod to tradtion by removing the tusks and adding the running hog on the sleeves would make me happy... But it's not about me... it's about what the recruits like.
I think that change would make most fans happy.

WizardofhOgZ

Nike handles so many schools and professional teams that they cannot make changes on a 1 year cycle.  We have seen that, where changes are requested, it takes at least 2 years to get them incorporated.

But, that does not mean that we will necessarily get changes to any particular uniforms every 2 years; just that we CAN.  Note that our current football uniforms were adopted in 2014; 2016 was the third season for us to wear them.

CBB said shortly after he got here that he preferred conservative, traditional uniforms, and our present uni's are more of that style than the one's they replaced:

I don't expect any significant changes this fall.  I, too, would prefer they lose the "tusk", but I don't think they will. 

All in all, I'm OK with them.  They could be a lot worse (from looking around the college football landscape in recent years).

GuvHog

I would prefer they lose the Anthracite uniforms all together and add a black jersey to the red helmets and white pants for the game against LSU in Baton Rouge.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Arazorbackguy1

The wal mart, Tyson version was the best.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

FraggleHog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 08, 2017, 01:56:55 pm
I would prefer they lose the Anthracite uniforms all together and add a black jersey to the red helmets and white pants for the game against LSU in Baton Rouge.

Meh... Keep anthracite. If we incorporated black jerseys you'd have yahoos from A State saying that we're trying to be like them... ha
Calling the Hogs from DFW

GuvHog

Quote from: FraggleHog on May 08, 2017, 02:49:35 pm
Meh... Keep anthracite. If we incorporated black jerseys you'd have yahoos from A State saying that we're trying to be like them... ha

No offense but frankly, I don't particularly care what they think or say. The white Hog on that red helmet as well as those pants are unmistakable. It's only for one game anyway and it's a good way to thumb our noses at LSU. As a matter of fact, those chrome red helmets the Hogs wore in the bowl game a couple  of year ago would look sharp with black jerseys.

I don't like those Anthracite unis at all.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 08, 2017, 03:52:45 pm
https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/823282289392177159

Hey, if they do to LSU what they did to Florida  when they were wearing those uniforms I sure won't complain!

Justifiable Hogicide

Outline the hog on the helmet in black
Looks a lot better on red than what what we have been using.

razorback44

"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on May 08, 2017, 01:56:55 pm
The anthracite they wore in 2016 was MUCH better than the anthracite from bielemas 1st year. Those chrome red helmets are nice too. need to bring them out more
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

redleg

I would like to see two standard sets of uniforms...an all red for home games, and an all white for road games. PLEASE, for the love of God, retire the black/anthracite unis!

Home:
Red helmet with white hog and facemask, red jersey with white letters and numbers (RAZORBACKS on the front), red pants with white stripes and belt, red socks with white Nike swoosh, red cleats with white Nike swoosh.
Away:
White helmet with red hog and facemask, white jersey with red letters and numbers (RAZORBACKS on the front), white pants with red stripes and belt, white socks with red Nike swoosh, white cleats with red Nike swoosh.

Simple, classic, to the point.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

bennyl08

Quote from: redleg on May 09, 2017, 01:20:52 pm
I would like to see two standard sets of uniforms...an all red for home games, and an all white for road games. PLEASE, for the love of God, retire the black/anthracite unis!

Home:
Red helmet with white hog and facemask, red jersey with white letters and numbers (RAZORBACKS on the front), red pants with white stripes and belt, red socks with white Nike swoosh, red cleats with white Nike swoosh.
Away:
White helmet with red hog and facemask, white jersey with red letters and numbers (RAZORBACKS on the front), white pants with red stripes and belt, white socks with red Nike swoosh, white cleats with red Nike swoosh.

Simple, classic, to the point.
:razorback:

All red is bad for the hogs.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The_Iceman

FANONTHEHILL

PorkSoda

I always like ARKANSAS across the front better than RAZORBACKS, but maybe that's just me.

I'm probably in the minority because I also liked the anthracite.

I never could get used to the white helmets though. 
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

zebradynasty

Current unis would look better if they got rid of the tusk  :puke: I like the all red and the anthracite. Really like the chrome red helmets. An all black for really special occasions wouldn't be terrible ( I can hear the ole timers withdrawing donations now)! ;D

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 09, 2017, 02:24:19 pm
I always like ARKANSAS across the front better than RAZORBACKS, but maybe that's just me.

I'm probably in the minority because I also liked the anthracite.

I never could get used to the white helmets though. 
Tradition at most schools says mascot at home on the jersey, school name/state of the road.

PorkSoda

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on May 09, 2017, 03:32:12 pm
Tradition at most schools says mascot at home on the jersey, school name/state of the road.
I could go with that, is that what we currently do?  Guess I'm not really observant.

factchecker

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 09, 2017, 03:42:28 pm
I could go with that, is that what we currently do?  Guess I'm not really observant.

Yep.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 09, 2017, 02:08:42 pm
Yeah, this was awful.

This was. There were several other games where we wore all red and we lost the game. Thus, all red uniform is now bad luck to me for the hogs.

redleg

Bad luck. What a bunch of shite.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.