Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Howland: From LA to Mississippi State

Started by jbcarol, March 22, 2015, 09:31:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 19m19 minutes ago

Weatherpoon hits a 3-pointer at the buzzer and Mississippi State defeats Vanderbilt 75-74

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 8h8 hours ago

REAL impressed with Ben Howland tonight. Guy kept a straight face as he pointed into empty stands and told SEC Network "unbelievable crowd."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 2h2 hours ago

Courtney Cronin Retweeted Elite Dawgs

Velma Jackson alum Quinndary Weatherspoon makes his way to No. 1 in SC's top plays from Tuesday. 

https://twitter.com/EliteDawgs/status/699805559415918593

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/HailStateReward/status/699808728325947394

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 13h13 hours ago

Quinndary Weatherspoon's first-career buzzer beater gives MSU a win over Vanderbilt.  http://on.thec-l.com/1TpU6FM

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  2h2 hours ago
Fred Thomas dunk adds the cherry on top of MSU's 67-61 win over Alabama. Very good win for MSU without Malik Newman.

State has now won 5 of its last 9 conference games.

Howland said Newman's back locked up when he returned home Wed night for a going away party for Courtney Cronin. "I wish (she) didn't leave.

jbcarol

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton 3h3 hours ago

Ben Howland described muscular Alabama guard Retin Obasohan as "a great Nick Saban running back with basketball skills."

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball ‏@HailStateMBK  2h2 hours ago
FINAL INFOGRAPHIC | @Chickensword1 has season-high 24, but MSU drops tough one at A&M. #HailState #DistanceAtState

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  2h2 hours ago
Texas A&M holds off Mississippi State by two in College Station. Bulldogs have all of a sudden become a nuisance to play under Ben Howland.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 11h11 hours ago

Michael Bonner Retweeted SixPackSpeak

I think that's fair. Compete for a tourney birth. I was just saying compete w/SEC elite in year 3. 

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 37m37 minutes ago

Howland said Malik Newman's health is better. "He seems like he's back."

Howland points to the no-call at A&M on Weatherspoon. Thought it was an offensive foul.

Howland on slowing down SC: It's not a big secret. Get tough.

MSU will dine with the Final Four team tonight.

Ben Howland concludes his presser saying "I want to play our hearts out for those guys." in reference to the 96 Final Four team.

jbcarol

Ben Howland ‏@Ben_Howland 11h11 hours ago

Great night with our Final 4 team. I hope all our fans come to the game tomorrow to show their appreciation. #HailState

jbcarol

DJournalnow ‏@DJournalnow 2h2 hours ago

Howland expects physical contest http://ow.ly/YP9iw  | Bulldogs hosting South Carolina today.

QuoteState is playing a better brand of basketball of late having won three of its last five outings.

The Bulldogs have been on the road for the last two games but get a chance to return to Humphrey Coliseum today taking on South Carolina at 1:30 p.m. on SEC Network.

"In my opinion, the toughest and most physical team in our league is South Carolina," said MSU coach Ben Howland. "If I were an NCAA Tournament team here in a few weeks I would not want to play against the Gamecocks. They are so tough and physical. They are senior dominated with a lot of experience and great guard play."

Howland understands firsthand just how physical the Gamecocks can be having previously played last month. South Carolina claimed an 84-74 victory in Columbia on Jan. 26 thanks in large part to the play of Michael Carrera.

Carrera set career-highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds in that contest. The 6-foot-5 senior forward from Venezuela paces the Gamecocks averaging 14.8 points and 7.8 rebounds. In his last five games he is putting up 18.2 points and pulling down 10.2 rebounds.

South Carolina is 23-5 overall on the year and sports a 10-5 mark in conference play. The Gamecocks have won two straight and are coming off a dominating 84-58 victory over Tennessee on Wednesday.

"We better understand what kind of game it's going to be," Howland said. "If you come out there and expect it's going to be a ballet, it's not happening. They're knocking you around and it's physical."

The school will recognize its 1996 Final Four team on the court during halftime of today's game. That team featured notable players such as Erick Dampier, Darryl Wilson, Dontea' Jones and finished 26-8.

"It's going to be a lot of fun," said former MSU coach Richard Williams. "I'm sure there will be a lot of stories told and some stories embellished. I've seen a lot of the guys so it's not like I haven't stayed in contact but it's been a long time since we've all been together so we're all looking forward to it."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  39m39 minutes ago
Mississippi State beats South Carolina 68-58, its third-straight win against a NCAA (bubble) team.

Holwand (sic): We're playing our best basketball of the year

Howland: They're improving, they're getting better. That's what you want as a coach.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 16h16 hours ago

With another win, MSU continues to spoil the resumes of NCAA Tournament teams http://on.thec-l.com/1QOE8oA

QuoteFrom Mississippi State's 68-58 win over South Carolina:

Bulldogs reeled off their third victory against a potential NCAA Tournament team in the past 10 days. The only loss during the four-game stretch came by two last-second free throws at Texas A&M on Wednesday.

Mississippi State (13-15, 6-10 SEC) has won four of six overall after beginning the SEC slate 2-8.

"I'm really happy for our seniors," MSU coach Ben Howland said. "We're now, as you can see, playing our best basketball of the year here at the end of the season."

State recorded 20 assists on 25 buckets. Four Bulldogs finished in double figures, led by Ware's 16 points. The senior added 12 rebounds for his eighth double-double of the season.

Through the 2-8 start to SEC play, MSU allowed 77.7 points per game. Since then, MSU is 4-2 and limiting teams to 62 points per game.

"To just keep trying as hard as you can, to never quit and never give up and keep doing your best, that's what I tried to do," Howland said. "That's what I demanded they try to do. I think a lot of it goes to leadership and starts with (Craig Sword).

"The whole mantra is to try to be the best you can be and try to keep improving and keep getting better and keep growing as a team and as an individual," Howland said. "And I think we're really doing that. So I'm really pleased at how hard we're playing.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 46m46 minutes ago

Howland calls the upcoming game vs. Ole miss will be "the test of our lives."

Howland: They're at full strength now. The game in Starkville could have gone either way.

Howland: We've got a very, very tough game. It seems like every game in this league is tough. I've been so impressed by the conference.

Kennedy says MSU is playing as well as anybody in the league.

AK: Praises MSU's coaching staff in teaching Q. Also said confidence is a funny thing. That helped too

Kennedy: I thought MSU would be the team they are now.

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 17h17 hours ago

Howland expects a challenge at Ole Miss http://dlvr.it/KfKhjZ

QuoteMississippi State coach Ben Howland picked up his first conference win against Ole Miss, winning 83-77 in Starkville on Jan. 23. The Bulldogs now have to make the return trip to Oxford to face the Rebels on Wednesday. Howland spoke about the challenges of facing a healthy Ole Miss team this time around.

"We haven't had practice yet so I haven't seen our guys since after the game. I can't say what the emotion of the team is. Obviously it's in-state rivals. It's Ole Miss and Mississippi State. It's a big deal. It's a big game."

On Malik Newman's response from being out...

"I watched the film from the game and I thought his defense is continuing to improve. You could see that his timing (on his shot) was off. Anytime your first shot is an air ball or an air bank I think it takes away a little bit of your confidence. He came last night and shot. All three freshmen were in here last night working on their shots. As a coach I love to hear that. They're doing it on their own. Obviously his back is getting better."

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 1m1 minute ago

MSU won the last meeting against Ole Miss 83-77 in Starkville on Jan. 23 behind 25 points from Malik Newman.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 13h13 hours ago

Mississippi State loses to Ole Miss 86-78.

Moody finishes with a career-high 43 points. Ware tied a career-high 28 points.

Kennedy said Moody told him before the game, he never lost to Mississippi State. Didn't want that to change.

Howland said the cramps are back for Newman. Said it's probably linked to the back injury that kept him out.

Howland said MSU probably should have went box and one, maybe a triangle and two, with two on Moody.

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 13h13 hours ago

Ole Miss wins, and the PA guy says, "And The School Up North wins again." So very SEC to have football rivalry be primary influence on hoops

jbcarol

Rick Ray Verified account
‏@RickRay1

@chickenSword32
@BigWare_20
@kingt40
@JohnnyZupp34
Fred Thomas

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  31m31 minutes ago
Mississippi State ends the regular season with a 79-66 win at home against Auburn. This team is playing well heading to Nashville.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 9h9 hours ago

Michael Bonner Retweeted Gregg G. Ellis

First year under Howland in the books. Will be an entirely different team next year.

Gregg G. Ellis
‏@MSUsportsGregg

That's it. UGA wins, 79-69. #HailState

Chicken sword ‏@Chickensword1 8h8 hours ago

State thank you a fun 4 years hailstate #foreverabulldog

Chicken sword
‏@Chickensword1

Thanks for all the negative tweets as well I saw lol 😂😂 #motivation

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 9h9 hours ago

Georgia defeats Mississippi State 79-69. Ben Howland's first season ends at 14-17.

I asked Howland about Malik Newman's future. Said Newman would talk to his family over spring break next week and they'd go from there.

Until next time Nashville

jbcarol

Robbie Faulk ‏@robbiefaulk247 5h5 hours ago

Malik Newman here: "I would like to announce I will be pursuing my dream of playing in the NBA" Said he's leaving the option open to return

Ben Howland says that Newman's taking online courses and is in great shape academically so he can go ahead and focus on work outs.

Newman has 10 days after the combine to pull his name out of the draft. Howland confirms they won't hire an agent.

Newman: "If it's second round, I'm pretty sure I'm coming back." Howland also says that Q Weatherspoon likely won't test the waters.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN Mar 23

Been told that Pittsburgh (or a third-party) did reach out to Mississippi State coach Ben Howland - who said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Howland is happy in Starkville, doesn't want to leave after a year — and has a highly regarded recruiting class coming in for next year.

Gregg G. Ellis ‏@MSUsportsGregg 24h24 hours ago

Hard to believe it's been a year since @stricklinMSU introduced @Ben_Howland as the new coach for @HailStateMBK.

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 11h11 hours ago

Stapleton has another ACL surgery http://dlvr.it/KwxgWV

QuoteState sophomore guard Xavian Stapleton tore the anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee on Aug. 17 which kept him off the practice court this past season.

Stapleton had to sit out the 2015-16 season after transferring from Louisiana Tech.

Now the 6-foot-6, 203-pounder from Flora will miss more time after tearing his left ACL again. Stapleton underwent surgery on Wednesday and is hopeful to return by January.

jbcarol

http://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Hoops-recruiting-classes-built-to-last-45036723/3

QuoteBen Howland hit the ground running at Mississippi State, landing six four-star prospects in his first full recruiting class.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/735318536407687168

QuoteThe return to college may not mean a second season at Mississippi State, though, for Newman.  A source told the Clarion-Ledger, Newman could potentially seek to transfer. When asked about the possibility, Newman's father, Horatio Webster confirmed the shooting guard is still enrolled at Mississippi State.

If Newman opts to leave Mississippi State, he would have to sit out a season under NCAA rules.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 5m5 minutes ago

Malik Newman camp is split on him transferring or remaining at Mississippi State, sources told ESPN.

jbcarol

Paul Jones ‏@PJ247Sports 1h1 hour ago

Malik Newman's father says Newman expected back at MSU http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Bolt/Malik-Newmans-father-says-Newman-expected-back-at-MSU-45481702 ... via @247Sports

QuoteState freshman Malik Newman created some headlines late Tuesday night when his father and former Bulldog standout Horatio Webster announced Newman was withdrawing from the NBA Draft.

On Wednesday morning Webster spoke with Bulldawgs247 and noted of Newman's process of entering and then withdrawing from the NBA Draft.

"We are going to send in that paperwork later today (to withdraw from the NBA Draft)," said Webster. "With Malik being bounced around in the second round (projections) and not having a clear vision of where he would be drafted, he is just a freshman and there is no way we were taking a chance like that. So we decided, as a family, to pull back.

"I thought it was a great opportunity but he didn't do well enough in the 5-on-5 stuff to move up," said Newman. "But his shooting was good and you could make an argument for his shooting percentages (at the NBA combine). They played him off the ball some and that's been the big question everyone had and whether or not he could play point guard. He showed good glimpses of that like he did last season at Mississippi State."

Not long after it was announced Newman was withdrawing from the NBA Draft, it was also reported that Newman could possibly not return to Mississippi State and transfer to another school, in which he would have to sit out a year.

"There is no talk of going juco or transferring," said Webster with a laugh. "He is at Mississippi State and we haven't discussed anything about leaving and that is not a concern. We heard a lot of everything yesterday and today with a lot of rumors and even heard (playing basketball) overseas. But he is a Bulldog and I don't think they gave away his scholarship."

As a freshman, Newman averaged 11.3 points a game and led the Bulldogs with 61 made three-pointers. With the return of Newman and fellow classmate Quinndary Weatherspoon, head coach Ben Howland and his staff would have one of the top backcourts in the SEC.

jbcarol

Malik Newman removed his name from the NBA draft on Wednesday his father told the Clarion-Ledger.

The return to college may not mean a second season at Mississippi State, though, for Newman.  A source told the Clarion-Ledger, Newman could potentially seek to transfer. When asked about the possibility, Newman's father, Horatio Webster confirmed the shooting guard is still enrolled at Mississippi State.

Quote"We've talked a couple people on staff. We have not spoken with Ben (Howland)," Webster told The Clarion-Ledger. "I mean we don't know if Ben's got the same vision that we have. We don't know if we have the same vision that Ben has. There's going to have to be some talking going on. Once we meet and talk, a decision will be made. But right now he's at Mississippi State."

If Newman opts to leave Mississippi State, he would have to sit out a season under NCAA rules.

Newman signed with MSU as a five-star guard projected as a lottery pick. MSU coach Ben Howland referred to Newman as a "one-and-done player" throughout the season.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin on Newman: Transfer is a real possibility but is my no means a done deal. He needs to step back, take his time and soul search.

Had not considered potential academic eligibility issue due to packing it in to prep for the combine and workouts.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 3h3 hours ago

I'd still be very surprised if Malik Newman is on the court for Mississippi State next season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11m11 minutes ago

Ben Howland told @CBSSports he hopes to have Mississippi State's Xavian Stapleton (ACL) back by SEC play. Transfer from Louisiana Tech.

jbcarol

Julius Kim ‏@JKim97 15h15 hours ago

2017 four-star guard Nick Weatherspoon tells me he will take an unofficial visit to #Louisville on June 25th.

jbcarol

jbcarol

State will benefit from a fresh start

QuoteNo program that's rebuilding wants to lose a five-star prospect, but Malik Newman's decision to transfer could wind up being a blessing in disguise for the Bulldogs.

Howland made national headlines last fall by signing a top-five recruiting class and Newman's departure should open up an opportunity for some of Mississippi State's talented freshmen -- Lamar Peters, Tyson Carter, and Eli Wright -- to log significant minutes next season.

Howland wasn't likely going to have the Bulldogs in the 2017 NCAA Tournament with Newman, so now he can focus on building chemistry and continuity with a core of players who will be together for the next few seasons.

The next potential pro to watch in the Bulldogs' program?

Quinndary Weatherspoon, who averaged 12.0 points, 4.7 rebounds as a freshman.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1h1 hour ago

Howland begins: We're a very, very young team.

Howland talks about practicing in preparation for MSU's trip to Italy on Aug. 2-14.

Howland plans to sign three players next year.

Howland doesn't know what the program will do with Newman's scholarship. Will see what happens.

All but one freshman is on campus as of right now. Abdul Ado is the only freshman not on campus.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 4h4 hours ago

Mississippi State freshman Mario Kegler did not travel with team to Italy, per the school. Still awaiting academic clearance from NCAA.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 6h6 hours ago

Quinndary Weatherspoon scores 29 in Mississippi State's first game abroad. Freshman guards Tyson Carter and Eli Wright combined for 39.

jbcarol

State kicked off its international basketball tour in Italy. The full roster wasn't present for MSU's 88-83 overtime win against Lithuania.

QuoteThe program announced four-star freshman Mario Kegler didn't make the trip overseas because he hadn't been cleared academically.

Those on the court impressed. Sophomore Quinndary Weatherspoon scored 20 of his 29 in the second half.

"It was a success as we came out with a win," Weatherspoon said in a statement. "I tried to lead by example with my 29 points. We made some mistakes, but everyone played with effort and did their part. I think we showed we have the talent to compete at a high level."

Freshman Tyson Carter helped with 21 points on 8 of 13 shooting. Eli Wright poured in 18 on 8 of 9 shooting.

As for Kegler, he was supposed to provide Mississippi State depth on the front line being 6-foot-8. The Jackson native played at Oak Hill.

Howland said at the end of June six of the seven incoming freshmen were enrolled. Abdul Ado was the only player not.

jbcarol

jbcarol

How Ben Howland thinks

QuoteBen Howland lives in the details. Not in a way to suggest he needs organization to function – though disorganization is almost certainly among his pet peeves – but in the sense that he builds his knowledge on details. He sees the forest because of the trees.

As his team tours through Italy on a four-game exhibition trip for Mississippi State basketball, the head coach of the Bulldogs has shown what it is that's made him so successful in his career as a builder of programs and players – the details.

His style as a coach comes very much from his natural tendencies as a person, exhibited on a regular basis throughout Rome and Florence and their collective museums, towers and cathedrals. The trip is for the team, for the young roster to develop chemistry, to play other opponents and to experience new cultures and see history in person. However, seemingly none have been as excited away from the court in Italy as Howland. On each of the many guided tours, he is rapt with attention, carefully making sure he takes in every word, often turning to his players to ask if they heard what was said, repeating some interesting tidbit of information on the Sistine Chapel or Il Duomo or even Michelangelo's statue of David.

Intentional or not, Howland has found himself standing right next to the guide by the end of every tour, asking question after question as the group walks behind them. In one instance he even asked the guide if she would take he and his family to a nearby area he wanted to learn about, the famed Piazza della Signoria in Florence.

In those questions Howland asks, he is seeking information. The Whos, the Whats, the Wheres, Whens and Whys...

Ben Howland lives in the details, and because of that, he coaches in them, too.

Few head coaches are as hands-on in running their practices as Howland, regularly switching sides of the court to work with guards or forwards. The assistants are running each drill their players go through, while Howland observes, notes and teaches, often stepping in to coach an individual on technique or to physically provide an example of what needs to be done.

Howland enthusiastically sets picks against men one-and-a-half times his size, happily runs through drills with his players and regularly rolls off screens himself.

And then he explains why. He doesn't just want his players to know what they're doing. He needs them to understand why.

Perhaps Malik Newman did not care for the Why.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 47m47 minutes ago

Never put a lot of stock in results from foreign tours, but one obvious thing from Mississippi State in Italy: Tyson Carter is a player.

jbcarol

The commitment of four-star point guard Nick Weatherspoon means the 2017-18 season will be one to watch in Starkville.

QuoteWeatherspoon's addition (he verbally committed on Sunday) positions Mississippi State alongside Auburn as Kentucky's top SEC challengers in just year three of the Ben Howland era.

Last year, Howland put together the best recruiting class in school history, featuring eight players -- Lamar Peters, Tyson Carter, Eli Wright, Mario Kegler, Xavian Stapleton (Louisiana Tech), E.J. Datcher, Schnider Herard and Abdul Ado -- that will all have a year of collegiate experience under their belts when Weatherspoon arrives on campus in the fall of 2017.

Nick Weatherspoon's brother, Quinndary, is currently a sophomore on Mississippi State and is a potential first-team All-SEC player this coming years after averaging 12.0 points and 4.7 rebounds last season as a freshman.

There's no doubt that this young nucleus is going to take their lumps during the upcoming season...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 20h20 hours ago

I.J. Ready hasn't practiced recently because of acid reflux. MSU hopes its not mono related.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/TodaysUSports/status/797074533735919616

QuoteState Bulldogs senior I.J. Ready (ankle) will play in tonight's opener against Norfolk State, per a school spokesman.

Ben Howland will be counting on six freshmen this season to help the Bulldogs navigate a brutal SEC. With Read [sic] being one of the few veterans who will see minutes on the roster, it is important that he gets to play alongside all the new fresh faces on the squad.

Last season, the guard averaged 9.2 points, 4.5 assists, and 2.6 rebounds per game. As importantly, he improved his field goal percentage as a junior by nearly 20 points, finishing the 2015-16 season by making 42 percent of his attempts from the floor.

The Bulldogs are scheduled to face the Norfolk State Spartans on Friday. The game will tip at 8:00 Eastern. It is scheduled to be televised on the SEC Network. Following the opener, Mississippi State will then face the UCF Knights on Nov. 17. That game will air on ESPN2.

Ten different schools were represented on the All-SEC teams led by Kentucky's four selections. Wildcats and Georgia were the only teams with multiple first-team selections. Bulldogs' Quinndary Weatherspoon was named to the first-team.

jbcarol

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 16h16 hours ago

Mississippi State giving up 53 points in first half to UCF isn't a talent issue.

jbcarol

jbcarol