Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC M BBall Coaches during the Expansion Era?

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2011, 08:07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

VandyMBB ‏@VandyMBB 58m58 minutes ago

A few stats on the new guy, Coach Drew

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

John Pelphrey joins Alabama basketball coaching staff

QuoteThe former Kentucky star served two stints as an assistant coach at Florida as well as being a head coach at South Alabama and Arkansas. He did television work last season before accepting Avery Johnson's offer to join the staff in Tuscaloosa.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 2h2 hours ago

Gary Parrish of CBSSports says Donnie Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause by NCAA. Tyndall was confident he would be suspended a few games

jbcarol

Alabama M Basketball ‏@AlabamaMBB Apr 8

#FBF one year ago today, this happened. What a difference a year makes! #RollTide #BuckleUp http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040815aac.html ...

jbcarol

The Tennessean ‏@Tennessean 3h3 hours ago

Vanderbilt bucks @SEC trend of hiring retread coaches http://tnne.ws/1S2WD6a

QuoteVanderbilt's hiring of basketball coach Bryce Drew from Valparaiso goes against a recent SEC trend of tabbing retread coaches with power conference experience.

Among the seven SEC basketball coaches hired over the past two years, only two have been snatched from the Division I mid-major ranks — Drew from Valparaiso to Vanderbilt and Mike White from Louisiana Tech to Florida.

Coincidentally, they replaced the SEC's two longest-tenured coaches of the 2000s, Kevin Stallings (17 seasons) and Billy Donovan (19 seasons). Apparently, filling big shoes requires a coach with room to grow.

Drew, 41, has five years of head coaching experience, all at his alma mater Valparaiso. His goal is to have the most successful seasons of his career at Vanderbilt.

"As a coach you want to take a program and leave it in a better place than when you first got there," Drew said. "I think the past (Vanderbilt) coaches have each taken this program a step further than where it was before."

jbcarol

Bryce Drew's Record and Post-Season Success at Valpo

'12  22-12, 14-4  NIT 1st Round

'13   26-8,  13-3  NCAA Round of 64 (14 seed lost to MichSt)

'14  18-16,  9-7   CIT 1st Round

'15   28-6,  13-3  NCAA Round of 64 (13 seed lost to Maryland by 3)

'16   30-7,  16-2  NIT Runner-up (Drew's 1st postseason wins as a head coach)

Won the Horizon Conference every season except '14.

jbcarol

Vandy (updated)

Vandy hired 41-year old Bryce Drew to replace Kevin Stallings. Drew had completed his fifth season at Valpo with a 30-win season and NIT runner-up. His team had made the NCAA-T twice and had won the Horizon League in four of his five seasons. He is the son of longtime Valpo coach Homer Drew and brother of Baylor coach Scott Drew.

In SEC lore, Bryce Drew hit the last second shot and dove to the bottom of an iconic dogpile which defeated Ole Miss' best team ever in the 1998 NCAA Tournament. Current Florida coach Mike White was the lead guard for Ole Miss in that game.

55-year old Kevin Stallings has the dean of SEC basketball coaches when he completed his 17th and final season at Vandy  in 2016. His highlight was defeating UK's 2012 national champions in the SEC Tournament final.  Stallings was 138–142 (.493) in SEC regular season games. He took the Pittsburgh job replacing Jamie Dixon.

Stallings' best run has been '04-'12 including all six of their seven NCAA appearances during his tenure and two Sweet Sixteens. This represents two of six times Vandy has made the Sweet Sixteen ever. Roy Skinner took Vandy to the Elite Eight during Kentucky's off season in '65 and in a 23-team tournament field winning one game. Vandy has not won  the SEC regular season under Stallings.

Stallings was a teammate of Arkansas native JB Carroll during his playing days at Purdue.

Jan van Breda Kolff preceded Stallings at Vandy and coached for six seasons. Jan was the SEC Player of the Year in 1974 and helped Vandy gain a share of the Conference regular season title and a Sweet 16 run in the NCAA-T.

Jan was 43-53 for a prorated average of 7-9. van Breda Kolff took Vandy to the NCAA first round once in his six seasons. Vandy was in the NIT three times, runners up in '94.

Eddie Fogler was Vandy's coach for four seasons. His last two seasons were the first two of the SEC expansion era. Fogler went 38-30 in conference regular season play prorating to a 9-7 mark. He took Vandy to the NCAA twice and to the NIT the other two seasons.

For Fogler, Vandy was the NIT Champ in '90. In '93, Vandy won the SEC regular season championship with a 14-2 mark. Vandy made the Sweet 16 and finished with an overall 28-6 record.

Fogler left Vandy to take on a rebuilding task at South Carolina.

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 22h22 hours ago

Tubby Smith's contract at Memphis is five years ... $15.45 million.

For those asking why Tubby Smith would leave the Big 12 for the AAC, here's my simplest answer ...

jbcarol

History shows Caliparis can benefit as father-son as well as coach-player

Al McGuire famously suggested it's best when son is a star (Allie McGuire, Allan Houston, the Pistol) or sitting on end of bench (Brad, Herky Rupp)

Allan Houston, Sean Sutton thankful for the chance to be with their fathers as players

QuoteBesides re-opening a well-worn chapter in Kentucky basketball history, Brad Calipari and John Calipari will join a surprisingly large fraternity of father-son collaborations.

Press and Pete Maravich. Al and Allie McGuire. Homer and Bryce Drew. Lon and Kevin Kruger. Greg and Doug McDermott. Dick and Tony Bennett. Wade and Allan Houston. Jerry and Danny Tarkanian. And, as UK fans know, there's also Adolph and Herky Rupp, Eddie and Sean Sutton, and Tubby and Saul Smith.

To name a few.

Allan Houston, who was an example of the son being the best player, said McGuire was correct.

"I think it took a little bit of the pressure off (my father) and I because of the talent level ... ," he said of playing for Tennessee in the 1990s. "Because I was a starter, I think that changed everything. Just impacted everything."

To be a player of middling ability "adds a whole another layer to the dynamic with teammates," Houston said. "We were blessed not to have gone through that part of it."

I don't believe in -isms, I just believe in nepotism

Doug Barnes, once an assistant for Eddie Sutton at Kentucky, had two brushes with the father-son dynamic in his coaching career. The other came at Ole Miss when he watched Ed Murphy add his son, Sean, to the team.

Before making that decision, Ed Murphy checked with several coaches. He asked each coach about the wisdom of adding his son to the team.

"Each one of them said it was a mistake, and they wished they hadn't done it," Barnes said he was told by Murphy.

Yet, Murphy added his son, who became a target of fan discontent. Sean Sutton and Saul Smith know about that. Although it should be noted that Sean and Eddie Sutton enjoyed a fruitful partnership when they later reunited as player and coach at Oklahoma State.

So why do coaching fathers put their sons in that position? Barnes suggested that each father thinks his situation will be different.

Family that Cheats Together, Beats Together

Sean Sutton also looks back on how coach-player enhanced father-son.

"My mom pretty much raised me and my brothers," he said. "(His father) did the best he could, but, I mean, he was just busy.

"It was a great opportunity for me to spend some time with him every day."

Check out the big brain on Brad

Brad Calipari said that he accompanied his father on many recruiting trips. An annual trip to Las Vegas was a favorite. "He'd always ask me if I wanted to go," the younger Calipari said. "Of course, I said, yeah."

jbcarol

Chris Andrews
‏@andrewssports

Van Gundy said "the great Mark Fox at Georgia." Not so sure about that.

Dan Wolken Verified account
‏@DanWolken

Dan Wolken Retweeted Chris Andrews

12 years, 5 NCAA bids, 0 second weekend appearances. If that's not great, what is?

will robinson ‏@wilstero 16h16 hours ago

@DanWolken @andrewssports daughter is student at #UGA and works for @UGABasketball

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 16h16 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Dan Wolken

Give him Johnny Jones' rosters the last three years and I bet he looks pretty great. Took the wrong step-up job.

Needs time to get his players.

jbcarol

SEC Coaches total number of Regular Season Conference wins from '91-92 to Present. This balances on-the-court success with ability to sustain a career and a desire to stay with the SEC School over other options.

Coach                 Wins  Avg. Season Seasons
Billy Donovan       202   10.4-5.6      19
Tubby Smith         139   11.6-4.4      12
Kevin Stallings      138    7.9-8.1      17
Rick Stansbury     122    8.7-7.3       14
Nolan Richardson  109    9.9-6.1      11
John Calipari          95   12.7-4.3      7
Andy Kennedy        88    8.4-7.6      10
Mark Gottfried        83    8.0-8.0      10.3
Rick Pitino              80   13.3-2.7     6
Eddie Fogler           77     7.7-8.3     10
Bruce Pearl            74     9.0-7.0      8
John Brady             74     7.1-8.9    10.4
Cliff Ellis                73     7.3-8.7     10
Mark Fox                61     8.1-7.9      7
Anthony Grant        54     8.5-7.5      6
Richard Williams     53     7.6-8.4      7
Rod Barnes            50     6.2-9.8      8
David Hobbs          50     8.3-7.7      6
Mike Anderson       48      8.7-7.3     5
Lon Kruger             44     8.8-7.2     5
Billy Kennedy         43     7.6-8.4     4
Jan van Breda Kolff 43     7.2-8.8     6
Rob Evans              43     7.2-8.8     6
Jerry Green            41   10.2-5.8     4
Dave Odom            41     5.9-10.1   7
Johnny Jones         40      8.9-7.1    4

Nolan Richardson had 65 conference wins for Arkansas in the SWC.
Mike Anderson won 43 conference games for Mizzou while they were in the Big 12.
Rick Pitino won games at UK prior to '91-92 while UK was on probation.
Eddie Fogler won 18 games for Vandy prior to '91-92.
Billy Kennedy won 4 games for A&M as part of the Big 12.

jbcarol

Steve Berkowitz ‏@ByBerkowitz 7h7 hours ago

Kentucky men's basketball team's 1000 APR means $50,000 bonus for coach John Calipari. It's the only bonus provided in Calipari's contract.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 5h5 hours ago

LSU's Johnny Jones has hired Robert Kirby as Associate Head Coach, per release.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/723160789411094528

QuoteLast I checked, which was early this morning, nearly every underclassman in college basketball had declared for the NBA Draft. Or, at least, it sure seems that way...

In the meantime, your favorite college coach might be sweating.

Why?

Because coaching careers really are enhanced and derailed by these decisions...

Mike Anderson is my favorite recent example.

Anderson once won enough at UAB to get the Missouri job, then won enough at Missouri to get the Arkansas job. But it took him a while to get things going with the Razorbacks -- evidence being how he missed the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons. Regardless, Anderson finally broke through, won 27 games in his fourth year and advanced to the Round of 32 of the NCAA Tournament. And he would've had a strong team again in his fifth year, this past season, if Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls had returned to school.

They didn't, though.

I understand why Portis and Qualls left Arkansas.

But, man, what a tough break for Anderson.

Instead of having a team that would've almost certainly made a second straight NCAA Tournament and contended for the Final Four, Anderson limped to a 16-16 record this season. So now he's missed the NCAA Tournament in four of five years at Arkansas. And when those hot-seat lists pop up in October, yeah, you'll probably see his name on them.

All because two players who could've sensibly returned to school did not.

Last year, Ed Cooley won.

And Mike Anderson lost big.

jbcarol

Remembering the Good Ol' Days: Greatest runs per SEC School

Mississippi State '59-63

Babe McCarthy's teams won the SEC regular season championship in four of five seasons and was named conference Coach of the Year in three consecutive seasons.

Honorable Mention: Richard Williams led State to the Final Four in '96 following a Sweet Sixteen appearance in '95.  His '91 team won the SEC regular season conference title and became State's first NCAA Tournament team in 28 years.

Rick Stansbury led the school's greatest run of NCAA tournament appearances with six from 2002 to 2009 including the SEC regular season conference championship in 2004 and SEC tournament championships in '02 and '09. None of Stansbury's teams advanced beyond the Round of 32 in the NCAA-T.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 7h7 hours ago

Billy D nabs first NBA playoff series win - http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13457/billy-d-nabs-first-nba-playoff-series-win ...

QuoteSomewhat quietly, former Florida coach Billy Donovan picked up his first NBA playoff series win when the Oklahoma City Thunder knocked off the Dallas Mavericks 118-104...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/rickbozich/status/724696579181932544

Minutes before the 2014 National Title game tipoff

QuoteLos Angeles Times mentioned a string of prominent coaches as possible replacements for Byron Scott, who was fired as the Lakers' coach last weekend.

There was Jeff Van Gundy. And Mark Jackson. Luke Walton made the list. Those are all NBA guys. Kevin Ollie of Connecticut was also mentioned.

But guess which coach the Times featured in the picture that accompanied Mike Bresnahan's story?

Bingo! You win the pool if you selected Kentucky coach John Calipari.

Feel free to chuckle.

Former UK star Rex Chapman actually started this rumor two years ago at the NCAA Final Four in Dallas when he tied Calipari to the Lakers' job on the day of the NCAA championship game. Rex used the hashtag #DoneDeal. I looked it up.

The job went to Scott. He went 21-61 in 2015 and backed that up with a 17-65 performance this season.

#Won'tWork.

In the NBA, you can't add your son to the roster as the 15th player. At Kentucky, Brad Calipari begins his career as a walk-on guard next season...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Stephanie Taylor ‏@TNews_Steph 17h17 hours ago Tuscaloosa, AL

I've gotten a lot of strange letters from prisoners over the years, but this one is my new favorite...

Inmate, in Dec. 2002 Bama was number one:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2003/week/7/seasontype/2

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 11h11 hours ago

Cal State Bakersfield coach Rod Barnes, who went to NCAA tourney this past season, has signed a 5-year extension thru 2023, source told ESPN

jbcarol

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 9h9 hours ago

Doug Gottlieb Retweeted Nolan

What in the world was actually better in the 90s compared to now?

jbcarol

Auburn '84-88  Sonny Smith

Auburn made the NCAA tournament in five consecutive seasons accounting for more than half of the eight total appearances in school history.

Auburn made the Sweet 16 in '85 after winning the school's only SEC Tournament.

They made the Elite 8 in '86, Auburn's best post-season performance.

Honorable Mention:

'98-'03  Cliff Ellis

Auburn made the post-season in five seasons during this stretch including the regular season SEC Championship, a #1 ranking, and Sweet 16 appearance in 1999.  Auburn advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2003 as well.

Late '50's - early '60's Joel Eaves

Auburn won their first SEC regular season championship under Eaves in 1960.

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio May 12

Glad to see Billy Donovan (who I like) winning this game and series over top 5 All Time coach after NBA types mocked his coaching all season

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 40m40 minutes ago

Calipari this morning: "My plan is to coach here for the rest of my life. I want this to be my final coaching position."

Calipari says one of his main goals going forward is to make the atmosphere of Rupp Arena better

Finally Calipari says two goals for end of his career are to pass UCLA for most titles and have half of an NBA All Star Game with UK guys

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 8h8 hours ago

How is Billy D winning in the NBA playoffs? Basketball analysts weigh in - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20160517/ARTICLES/160519737/1136/FRONTPAGE ...

QuoteIn his rookie season as an NBA coach, Donovan helped lead the Thunder to their fourth straight playoff win and improved to 9-3 in playoff games. For the second time in the playoffs, Donovan guided the Thunder to a double-digit comeback in the second half on the road. In a game-five win over San Antonio, the Thunder came back from down 13 points in the second half to beat the Spurs 95-91.

How is Donovan doing it? For one, he's gotten his two superstar players, Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant, to stay motivated and play hard on both ends of the floor. But for those who know him best, who followed him through 21 college seasons that produced two national titles and four Final Four appearances, it's no surprise.

"He's had a great run for his whole coaching career," said ESPN NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy, who was an assistant coach at Providence when Donovan played there. "The guy is an incredible basketball coach and he's inherited a talented basketball team and I think his poise and demeanor and his learning curve have been terrific. Whether they win the series or not, who knows, but this guy is a big-time coach."

jbcarol

Vanderbilt paid Kevin Stallings $3.9 million in 2014

QuoteFormer Vanderbilt basketball coach Kevin Stallings' earnings were nearly doubled after the only back-to-back losing seasons of his 17-year tenure, recently-obtained tax records show.

Stallings, now the Pittsburgh coach, received approximately $3.9 million from Vanderbilt in 2014 after earning an average of $2.1 million annually in the previous four years.

In a statement to The Tennessean, Vanderbilt athletics director David Williams said Stallings' pay increase "reflects a contract completion bonus as well as deferred compensation he accrued for longevity and performance. Although the deferred compensation was accrued over a number of years, he did not receive the payment until calendar year 2014."

Stallings entered the 2013-14 season one victory shy of Roy Skinner's all-time wins record (277), and he received the bonus in the 2014 calendar year...

Former Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew was hired as Vanderbilt's new coach in April, signing a six-year deal, according to ESPN. Williams declined to comment on Drew's salary at Vanderbilt.

The same tax return showed that Williams earned $1,061,843 in 2014.

jbcarol

USA TODAY Sports Verified account
‏@USATODAYsports

Ben Simmons' HS basketball coach: 'If you get the No. 1 pick and you don't take Simmons you should be fired'

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 16h16 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted USA TODAY Sports

Fixed: If you get the No. 1 pick and you don't reach the NCAA tournament, you should be fired.

jbcarol

South Carolina

Frank McGuire '71-74

'71 Bye to Sweet Sixteen (lost both tourney games including consolation)
'72 Sweet Sixteen (won 1st game in Round o' 25)
'73 Sweet Sixteen (won 1st game in Round o' 25)
'74 Round of 25 (lost 1st game i.e. lost First Round)

Honorable Mention:

Eddie Fogler '97-98

'97 Round of 64 (SEC regular season champs lost to Coppin State as a 2 seed)
'98 Round of 64 (lost opener to Richmond Spiders as a 3 seed)

Dave Odom '02-06

'02 NIT Runner-up
'04 Round of 64 (lost opener to Memphis as a 10 seed)
'05 NIT Champs
'06 NIT Champs

jbcarol

Florida reportedly will play at Oklahoma next season in the SEC-Big 12 Challenge

The game will pit former Gator and current Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger against the team he coached to a Final Four in 1994

QuoteKruger went 104-80 in six seasons at Florida (1991-96) before leaving to take the head coaching job at Illinois.

Kruger has coached against the Gators only once since he left UF, and it wasn't by choice. In 2000, Kruger's Illinois team lost Florida 93-76 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Oklahoma is coming off a 29-8 season and a Final Four appearance in 2016. But the Sooners are losing three senior starters from their squad, including national player of the year Buddy Hield.

jbcarol

According to a new list by ESPN's Jeff Borzello, the Wildcats have done less with more talent than anyone in college basketball since the start of the 2012-13 season.

QuoteBorzello says his list of the five biggest underachievers the last four years – which also includes LSU, UNLV, N.C. State and UCLA (zero Final Fours between them) – is "all relative to recruiting class rankings." And it is true that in ESPN's rankings, Kentucky's classes in that time ranked No. 2 three times and No. 1 once.

Should John Calipari have won a title in that span? Maybe so. Should the Cats have done better than the NIT in 2013? Yes, but star Nerlens Noel was injured late in the regular season. And the fact remains: UK has 115 wins, including 10 in the NCAA tournament the last four years.

Duke, which did win the 2015 title, has 116 victories, including 11 in the NCAA tournament – and also a first-round loss to Mercer and no other Final Fours. The Blue Devils' classes ranked No. 12, No. 7, No. 1 and No. 1. No one would claim they're major underachievers.

But there are some other top-recruiting programs who seem to fit Borzello's list better than Kentucky, which in the last six years has been to four Final Fours and won the 2012 national title.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bama

Wimp Sanderson '81-92

'82 Sweet Sixteen; SEC regular season and tourney champ
'83 First Round
'84 First Round
'85 Sweet Sixteen
'86 Sweet Sixteen
'87 Sweet Sixteen vacated (as a 2 seed); SEC regular season and tourney champ
'89 First Round; SEC tourney champ
'90 Sweet Sixteen; SEC tourney champ
'91 Sweet Sixteen; SEC tourney champ
'92 Second Round

CM Newton '74-76

'74 SEC regular season co-champ
'75 First Round; SEC regular season champ
'76 Sweet Sixteen (2nd Round); ; SEC regular season champ

Mark Gottfried '02-06

'02 Second Round (as a 2 seed); SEC regular season champ
'03 First Round
'04 Elite Eight (as an 8 seed); Bama's biggest NCAA-T accomplishment
'05 First Round
'06 Second Round

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 11h11 hours ago Brookhaven, GA

Tough ending to Billy D's rookie NBA season as coach. By any measure, a successful season, 55-27, 11-7 in NBA playoffs.

Big question in offseason will be has Billy D proven enough to convince Durant to stay in OKC. I think yes, for a short-term deal.

jbcarol

Georgia Bulldogs have appeared in the NCAA Tournament 12 times with the '85 and '02 seasons vacated, netting 10.

Hugh Durham, '79-95 coached UGa to their first ever post-season appearances

'83 Final Four (SEC-T Champ)
'85 Round of 32 (vacated)
'87 Round of 64
'90 Round of 64 (SEC regular season champ)
'91 Round of 64

'83 team beat St. John's with Mullin and  UNC with Jordan, without Dominique.

Tubby Smith, '96 and '97, left to win the championship at UK in '98

'96 Sweet 16  (Beat #1 seed Purdue, lost to national runner-up Syracuse)
'97 Round of 64

Honorable Mention:  Dennis Felton's '08 team won the SEC Tornado Tournament.
He was fired in Jan. '09.

jbcarol

Tennessee Volunteers have appeared in the NCAA Tournament 20 times peaking in the '10 Elite Eight

Bruce Pearl '06-11

'06 Round of 32  (2 seed)
'07 Sweet 16
'08 Sweet 16      (2 seed, SEC Regular Season champs)
'09 Round of 64
'10 Elite 8          (6 seed, best Vol finish)
'11 Round of 64  (ended after lying about a home BBQ)

Honorable Mention

Ray Mears '64-78 (Entertaining but 3 NCAA trips yielded no win)

'67 Sweet Sixteen (First Round game, SEC regular season champs)
'72 SEC regular season champs
'76 Round of 32 (SEC regular season champs)
'77 Round of 32

'36-'45

In '36, '41, and '43 Vols were conference regular season and tourney champs.
Allowed team to participate in the '45 NIT

Don DeVoe '79-89

'79 Round of 32 (1-1, SEC Tournament champs in year of Tourney return)
'80 Round of 32 (1-1)
'81 Sweet 16 (1-1)
'82 Round of 32 (1-1, SEC regular season champs)
'83 Round of 32 (1-1)
'89 Round of 64

Jerry Green '98-01

'98 Round of 64
'99 Round of 32
'00 Sweet 16  (SEC regular season champs)
'01 Round of 64

Cuonzo Martin '14

'14 Sweet 16 (3-1 as a First Four 11 seed, left to coach Cal Bears)

jbcarol

A&M's best run

Billy Kennedy  current

'16  Sweet 16, SEC regular season champ, SEC Tourney runner-up
'17  Projected 5 seed in Joe Lunardi's "Way Too Early" Bracketology (June 1)

Honorable Mention (SWC Days)

Billy Gillispie '05-07

'06 Round of 32
'07 Sweet 16  (Beat UofL in Rupp Arena in Round of 32 as a 3 seed)

Shelby Metcalf

'69  Sweet 16  (Round of 25 win followed by loss)

'80  Sweet 16  (Round of 48 and 32 wins followed by loss to UofL)

SWC Regular season champs: 1964, 1969, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1986
SWC Tournament champs:     1980, 1987

'51  Sweet 16  (First Round bye and loss; SWC co-champs under John Floyd '51-55)

Mark Turgeon '08-11

'08 Round of 32
'09 Round of 32
'10 Round of 32
'11 Round of 64

Aggies have appeared in the NCAA Tournament 13 times.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein Jun 6

Cal's Cuonzo Martin has received a contract extension, per the school. Official terms of the deal are not disclosed.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/740940486270193664

QuoteThis month's NBA Draft will mark the 10th year under rules where high school prospects must be one year removed from high school to enter the draft.

And of the 81 one-and-done-ers of this era, perhaps what's most intriguing is that Kentucky coach John Calipari has coached more of them than anyone else — 18 of them, for a grand total of 22.2 percent of all of those prospects.

Calipari has coached 16 of those in Lexington, and the other two (Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans) were coached at Memphis.

jbcarol

Calipari joins committee reviewing NCAA Tournament seeding

QuoteThe committee, co-chaired by former SEC commissioner Mike Slive, was formed to get input and advice from coaches on the tournament selection, seeding and bracketing process.

"We had a very good dialogue with the men's basketball committee and NCAA staff during our meetings and especially on the topics of selection and seeding for the tournament," NABC executive director Jim Haney said in a press release. "The men's basketball championship is one of the greatest events in sports and we are hopeful that recommendations from our ad hoc group will help to enhance it even more."

This is the third ad hoc committee the NABC has formed to help give perspective on NCAA men's basketball issues. The previous two dealt with the NBA draft, and the NBA draft combine.

The ad hoc committee will meet multiple times this week and will present any feedback to the NCAA at its summer meeting.

jbcarol

Mizzou's best run '09-'12

Mike Anderson
'09 Elite 8
'10 2nd Round
'11 1st Round

Frank Haith '12-14
'12 1st Round (2 seed)
'13 1st Round

Honorable Mention

Norm Stewart
'76 Elite 8
'78 1st Round
'80 Sweet 16
'81 1st Round
'82 Sweet 16
'83 2nd Round

jbcarol

Florida's best run '06-'07 with Billy D

'06 National Champs, SEC Tourney champ
'07 National Champs, SEC Regular Season and Tourney champ

Honorable Mention

Billy D
'11 Elite 8, SEC regular season champ
'12 Elite 8
'13 Elite 8, SEC regular season champ
'14 Final 4, 21-0 SEC regular season and tourney champ

'00 National Finals, SEC regular season champ
'01 SEC regular season champ

Lon Kruger
'94 Final 4

jbcarol

LSU's best run '79-'87 with Dale Brown

'79 Sweet 16; SEC regular season champ
'80 Elite 8  as a 1 seed; LSU's only SEC Tournament championship
'81 Final 4 as a 1 seed; SEC regular season champ
'84 Round of 48
'85 Round of 64; SEC regular season champ
'86 Final 4 as an 11 seed
'87 Elite 8 as a 10 seed

Honorable Mention

Harry Rabenhorst '53-54

'53 Final 4; SEC regular season champ
'54 Sweet 16; SEC regular season champ

Harry Rabenhorst '35

Claim retroactive National Championship before NCAA Tourney

John Brady '06

'06 Final 4 as a 4 seed; ; SEC regular season champ

jbcarol

UK's best run '46-52, '54-58 with Adolph Rupp

'46 NIT Champs
'47 NIT Runner-up
'48 NCAA Champs  represented US in Olympics with Bartlesville's Phillips Oilers
'49 NCAA Champs
'51 NCAA Champs
'52 Elite 8; AP and UPI #1
'53 Death penalty: point shaving scandal
'54 25-0, AP #1, declined NCAAT due to grad students being ineligible
'55 AP and UPI #2
'56 Elite 8
'57 Elite 8
'58 NCAA Champs

Honorable Mention

'92-99 Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith: won SEC-T every season except '96

Rick Pitino
'89-91 UK on probation with no live TV nor postseason
'92 Elite 8
'93 Final 4
'94 Round o' 32
'95 Elite 8
'96 NCAA Champs
'97 NCAA Runner-up
Tubby Smith
'98 NCAA Champs
'99 Elite 8

'10-15 John Calipari

'10 Elite 8
'11 Final 4 first final four since '98
'12 NCAA Champs; 38-2, 16-0 in SEC, lost SEC-T to Vandy
'13 NIT first round road loss
'14 NCAA Runner-up
'15 Final 4 38-1, 21-0 in SEC

'75-78 Joe B. Hall

'75 NCAA Runner-up  Beat undefeated Indiana, lost to Wooden in his last game
'76 NIT Champs
'77 Elite 8
'78 National Champs

jbcarol

Razorback's best stroll '89-96 with Nolan Richardson

'89 Round of 32  SWC Regular Season and Tourney champs
'90 Final Four  SWC Regular Season and Tourney champs
'91 Elite 8       SWC Regular Season and Tourney champs
'92 Round of 32  SEC Regular Season Champs
'93 Sweet 16 
'94 NCAA Champs  SEC Regular Season Champs
'95 NCAA Runner-up 
'96 Sweet 16

Honorable Mention

'77-83 Eddie Sutton

'77 NCAA 1st Round  SWC 16-0 Regular Season and Tourney champs
'78 Final Four  SWC Regular Season champs
'79 Elite 8       SWC Regular Season and Tourney champs
'80 NCAA 1st Round
'81 Sweet 16  SWC Regular Season champs
'82 NCAA 1st Round  SWC Regular Season and Tourney champs
'83 Sweet 16 

'40's Glen Rose and Eugene Lambert

'41 Final Four  SWC 12-0 Regular Season champs
'42 SWC Regular Season champs
'44 SWC Regular Season champs
'45 Final Four 
'49 Final Four  SWC Regular Season champs

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/UKWildcatSports/status/745324248583921666

QuoteFormer Kentucky coach is now the head coach at Ranger College, a junior college in Ranger, Texas, and according to The Dallas Morning News, the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) just ruled that Gillispie's team used an ineligible player last season. The player, Joshua Simmons, played in every game last year, averaging 11.4 points and nine rebounds. Ranger College is appealing the decision, but if the ruling stands, they'll have to forfeit every game...

Ranger also had to forfeit their first four games of the season due to incomplete paperwork filed by another school on behalf of a transferring player. After those four "losses," Gillispie's team went on to win 31 games with a fourth place finish in the NJCAA Tournament...