Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My final thoughts.....

Started by SPAL, June 05, 2017, 10:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Another season has come and gone.....and I'm sick to my stomach. Why? Well, I'm glad you asked....

See, baseball for me and many others here , is our passion. We love this sport. For some, baseball is something to bridge the gap between basketball and football. It's a passing interest. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But for some of us, this is what we look forward to. We go to the fall world series. We follow recruiting. We break down the game and study it intently. For is, it's not a passing interest. We live for June. We gather here in January.....extra innings is our forum to discuss what we live in the same way most love football.

Sure, we love football and basketball, but hog baseball is the thing we love. We buy season tickets, we travel, we invest, we simply love this beautiful game.....

And the way some of you come in here and act is disgusting and it's disrespectful. You come on here in June and tell us our coach isn't good enough and our players are terrible.....

Well, screw you.

When the final pitch is thrown and the lights go out at Baum Stadium, a little part of me goes with it. When I know that I'll never see Chad Spanberger hit another home run as a razorback....it hurts. When I see Taccolini release every bit of emotion he has because he knows he won't pitch in a hog uniform again, it rips my heart out.

It hurts. It crushes me. And I'm not alone. There are about 20 of us who I know is hurting right now. The thing we love is over.

So, I'm disgusted by some of you. You make me sick. This doesn't mean anything to you.....but for some of us, it means everything. You would be wise to remember that going forward.

I wanna say that I've enjoyed working with all the mods here. I know we don't always see things the same, and we don't always agree on everything, but there is none I would rather work with.

Jhicks-yiure special my friend. Thanks for carrying the pbp so much.
ARKANSAS....What you do for this board is special. Nobody can do it like you. You bring something to the board that can't be duplicated.
RAZ1....IM GONNA MISS YOU DUDE. you're acsalt of the earth guy and it won't be the same. Thanks for all you've done.

Wilson...thank you for allowing this place to exist for us and for always supporting me and backing us up when we need help.

The fans.....thank you most of all. You've been so special here and I love talking baseball with you. You make this board what it is. Extra innings is and will always be the best forum on hogville. I'm glad I'm a small part of it.

Hats off to the omahogs. We fell short this year but you exceeded my expectations. See you guys in February. Get some much needed rest. Seniors and juniors who leave and knight.....thank you for being a part of it all. You have my utmost respect and admiration.

Woo pig.

philiphog

Well said. Thank you SPAL and WPS!

TebowHater

Amazing post. Thanks for all you do to keep this forum so strong. Great season by the hogs. WPS

hog.goblin

Well said.  I'm very proud of this team.  I didn't think they could make this quick a turnaround from last year.  Great coaching, great effort by the players.  It's always sad to see the seniors and drafted players leave.

HogFansReunited

Well said but those that don't truly love and follow the game will never understand how those of us that do feel right now.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

parallaxpig

Well said and it was a great season...........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PharmacistHog

I hardly post but love this forum. I am the definition of read more post less. I appreciate what you guys do in here and I'm willing to bet there are lots of us who simply read without saying a word. Thanks guys!
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

southarkhog06

Spal you truly do have a way with words, it pains me to admit but I will miss all you knuckleheads until fall ball.

panhandlepig

WPS.  Can't wait til next year. 

I'll be back. :razorback:

Pancetta

A big Thank You in behalf of all of us baseball and softball parents that keep up with Hog games rgru the pbp posts while we are at our kids' games .
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Southpointhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2017, 10:05:07 pm
Another season has come and gone.....and I'm sick to my stomach. Why? Well, I'm glad you asked....

See, baseball for me and many others here , is our passion. We love this sport. For some, baseball is something to bridge the gap between basketball and football. It's a passing interest. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But for some of us, this is what we look forward to. We go to the fall world series. We follow recruiting. We break down the game and study it intently. For is, it's not a passing interest. We live for June. We gather here in January.....extra innings is our forum to discuss what we live in the same way most love football.

Sure, we love football and basketball, but hog baseball is the thing we love. We buy season tickets, we travel, we invest, we simply love this beautiful game.....

And the way some of you come in here and act is disgusting and it's disrespectful. You come on here in June and tell us our coach isn't good enough and our players are terrible.....

Well, screw you.

When the final pitch is thrown and the lights go out at Baum Stadium, a little part of me goes with it. When I know that I'll never see Chad Spanberger hit another home run as a razorback....it hurts. When I see Taccolini release every bit of emotion he has because he knows he won't pitch in a hog uniform again, it rips my heart out.

It hurts. It crushes me. And I'm not alone. There are about 20 of us who I know is hurting right now. The thing we love is over.

So, I'm disgusted by some of you. You make me sick. This doesn't mean anything to you.....but for some of us, it means everything. You would be wise to remember that going forward.

I wanna say that I've enjoyed working with all the mods here. I know we don't always see things the same, and we don't always agree on everything, but there is none I would rather work with.

ARKANSAS....What you do for this board is special. Nobody can do it like you. You bring something to the board that can't be duplicated.
RAZ1....IM GONNA MISS YOU DUDE. you're acsalt of the earth guy and it won't be the same. Thanks for all you've done.

Wilson...thank you for allowing this place to exist for us and for always supporting me and backing us up when we need help.

The fans.....thank you most of all. You've been so special here and I love talking baseball with you. You make this board what it is. Extra innings is and will always be the best forum on hogville. I'm glad I'm a small part of it.

Hats off to the omahogs. We fell short this year but you exceeded my expectations. See you guys in February. Get some much needed rest. Seniors and juniors who leave and knight.....thank you for being a part of it all. You have my utmost respect and admiration.

Woo pig.

Bravo!

HogsonHicks

Best forum on Hogville.  I don't post as frequently, but this forum is always a pleasure to read.  Thanks to those who keep it at the highest quality and protect it against those who try to ruin it.

Knot2brite

I have loved razorback baseball since 1979...I like football and baseball but baseball will always be my favorite Hog sport. As I get older, I cherish the games more and more and I long for that special championship season that I know will happen one of these days...I kee up with the recruiting and have cultivated a couple inside sources that I can count on. I will miss this group of young men because I think, in the peak of the season, that they were the best offensive team that Arkansas has ever had during my life time. Pitching will always be pitching and we probably needed more of it...but watching these kids hit was a treat. Any one of them could leave the yard ...any yard we played in..and that just doesn't happen...I will love this group because I loved seeing 83 balls leave the yard
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

swineology

Well, screw you.

Woo pig.

Well said Spal

As we gathered at our tailgate and took the tents down after the final game of the season, we discussed as we always do about the season and the seniors. The players parents that we won't see again for a long time or maybe never.

This team overachieved, no other way to put it. Very proud of the fight of this team and especially the way they represented our great alma mater.

Thanks for the input on this board. It has truly been a pleasure!

Go Hogs!

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Well said SPAL. Just like PH said I have read for years but I rarely post. This years team was something special and I am greatful to have seen them play as many times as I have being two hours away. I wish the best of luck to our seniors and draftees. It was a pleasure getting to see this team play throughout the year. Even though we only didn't make it out of regionals this years team might be my all time favorite. WPS

zane

Great post Spal. This forum is such a gem. So many intelligent and passionate posters on here. This was a special season and a special team. Feels so deflating for it to end the way it did. These guys played their tails off and left it all on the field.

I can't tell you how excited I am to be moving back to Arkansas so that my wife and I can enjoy some baseball weekends up on the hill.

Here's to next season!
RIP LSUfan

PigDaddyKane

Well said. The threads are how I follow most of the games.  I don't post a lot, but enjoy them. I get frustrated with the defeatism that define some of our fans.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

Kevin

Hog baseball is something that my dad & I sure all year long. We follow the players during their summer leagues, then fall ball.

I always travel back to attend the opening weekend, then we root like heck for the hogs to host or play close so we can go to a regional to spend quality time together.

For those of you that follow razorback baseball on twitter that was us in the ponchos during the rain delay.

I get frustrated at the boys and the coaches   I want to thank spal at this time for letting me vent through pm so I don't get banned   

This team fought all year long.

To those moving on, nothing but the best for you. To the players that are coming back, prepare to for another big year in 2018. 

THIS IS BASEBALL
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Great post.

Allow me to add my two cents. I was at Baum this weekend, and watched great baseball in a regional where 5 of 7 games were decided by one run.

I see that several of you had a post removed by a mod this evening. Tomorrow you will be banned. I would do it now, but I'm driving home (where I won't get to until about 3:00 a.m.).

Hogwild

We went from not making the SEC tourney, to hosting a regional,  in one year.  :razorback:

We might not be Fla. but we aren't Alabama.

Dr. Starcs

There was one pitch that changed the entire regional. And that was Friday afternoon when Eirman(sp?) hit the walk off on okie lite.

Misery State loses that game and the entire weekend looks totally different.

Still great baseball, just wish our hitting would've shown up like it did the majority of the year.

ShadowHawg

Fun team to have watched. Love seeing hitting return to the hill. Great pitching has its place and it's usually in Fayetteville, but I loved hitting when I played and I love watching great hitting teams. They fell short of their goal for post season but this is one of my all time fav Hog baseball teams.

BroyledNutts

Well, screw you.
Woo pig.

Well said SPAL, and a big thanks to you for the hard work you've had to put in at times this year...and for the fun stuff that makes EI a lot of fun to be a part of. I don't contribute much, cause I don't think I have much to contribute, but it's always a great thing to know there's an excellent environment available to contribute when I can.

Wilson, ARK, Razorbacks1, and all the guys who never miss a chance to do PBP, graphics, pics, etc., thanks for your continued hard work and excellence.

To everyone else who contributes here on a regular basis, you're part of another fun, fascinating season of Razorback Baseball. Just like the RBI girls, it wouldn't be the same without you all.

Here's to February. This IS Baseball.

Hogs49ers

I love these Hogs and will miss the players that are leaving.  My heart hurts right now...

Great post, great year, cannot wait until next year bc we have some incredible young talent!
SCREW Vandy!

JonClaudeVanHam

This one hurts. I really thought this team could be the one, even despite an inconsistent bullpen. I can't wait for next year to come, because this team being gone truly hurts. Thanks, SPAL.
Quote from: rhames on Today at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy

Tough loss but a great season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgphish

I really enjoyed EI this year.  I love baseball and talking baseball and I cannot wait til next year.  Great job everyone!

Hollywood_HOGan45

June 06, 2017, 08:32:31 am #29 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:58:16 am by Hollywood_HOGan45
Really tough to lose our own regional especially to the thugs up north.

I cannot wait to watch these guys next year. DVH is the most successful, consistent, and also underpaid coach on campus.
Pitching will be better overall.   We were explosive at the plate but a little inconsistent when it mattered most. 

Really hope we see the thugs from up north on the schedule next season.

I agree this forum is the best on this site. Limited meltdowns and stupid people.
Great post.

Razorbacks#1

Well, screw you.

Woo pig.

Very well said Spal. It has been a pleasure and honor to work with the crew here and to give something back. Go HOGS!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

LRHawg

It's been fun. Till next year, everyone.

HogInTigerLand

Well said, I too rarely post.  But I can't count how many times I've watched a game on TV and then come here to read the PBP after the game is over.  Great job by all invested and involved in this forum.

WPS!

HighcountryHog

Good job, Hogs.  Good luck to all the student-athletes moving on to the next step in life.  Remember, it's just a game. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

JHicks3636

Bravo, spal, well said. As for me, I am humbled that y'all allowed me to do the pbp. I wanted to do 3 more at least this year. I'll be back next year as long as I'm alive and this forum exists. I'm so proud of what this team accomplished. We deed to remember that their hurt today dwarfs ours. Go Hogs!!!

USChog

Anyone who thinks DVH isn't a world class coach and that we don't have top tier athletes has a few screws loose. We had an amazing season. We went from not making the post season last year to hosting this year. Yeah we arent going to Omaha, and that sucks, but we had a successful season and I thank the coaching staff and all the players who choose to out on the cardinal and white.

I mostly just lurk the forum, and baseball is not my # 1 passion, but I appreciate everything you guys do in keeping EI one of the best sports forums on the web. Thanks!

PintailKiller

Great post SPAL.  That's exactly what makes this forum so great - the passion.  Do all of us in here see eye to eye? No, but we are all passionate about Razorback baseball.  When I went to bed last night, my wife knew we had lost - I had that defeated look about me.  Now it's time to move forward.  Who gets drafted, and where?  What recruits make it to campus.  What returnees are doing in summer leagues across the country?  Who stays and who transfers?  What #ProHogs are doing in the Show.  Onward EI.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

pigroots

DVH is one of the best coaches in the country. We are fortunate he chooses to coach here cause he could pick his job in college baseball. We will always be competitive with him wearing red and white.Baseball is a game where the difference between winning and losing is razor thin. Biggers ball in the 9th last night looked like a gapper off the bat. Second and third no outs felt like a run. Small things make a difference and sometimes it's just plain dumb luck. It was a great season and hats off to the team. We are an elite baseball program and it feels good to know that

Rockhawg

Thanks, Spal, for speaking for me and others. It was a Great year that ended too soon. We have a lot of talent coming in and enough coming back that we should be able to make another run at it next year. I agree that we had too many negative poster's this year for a team that won over 40 games. I'll be watching the draft to see how we come out. Then it's on to talking about next years lineup and the pitching rotation. This was a special group that i hate to see go. Good luck to all and thanks for the great memories.

pigture perfect

This season was still a great one even if we missed regionals. I still think we were one of the 2 best teams in the SEC. After the SEC tournament performance, I never dreamed our bats would cool like they did, but that tournament was one for the ages. We were the best that week. Yeah, I know the privileged team down south got mystery calls, but we were better. This week we weren't the hot team. That's baseball. I would still rather have this coach, this stadium, this future than anyone else. Go Hogs. Go EI team. See you next year at first pitch. Hopefully my schedule next year will allow me to be more active. Thanks.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SemperFi

I love a post with passion and SPAL, you have passion my friend. Great post and I wish MMQB and the Recruiting forum were as good as this one is. I like baseball, not love, but I like it and love my Razorbacks and will follow them in anything that they do. I just read your pbp and game updates and I might drop the occasional WPS or Go Hogs, but I generally just stay quiet and let the experts do the talking. Awesome job folks!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Wolfpride

Sir-Pigs-a-lot,
     Thank you.  I grew up not being around much baseball.  I am and always be a Hog fan.  They could have a tetherball team and I would watch!  Every February, I come to this site.  I don't know much about some of the baseball players, but by the SEC Tourney, you and the others have allowed me to get acquainted with each Hog.  Oh, and I continue to learn more about baseball along the way.  I live in central Arkansas and don't have season tickets for anything.  But, I watch......all the time.  I was on ESPN3 more that I ever have been this past weekend.  You helped give me perspective along the way.....again, my hat is off to you and I thank you!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies"
Andy Dufresne

BigBrandonAllenFan

The Great Red Army battled gallantly to the death.  There were just too many dam* Kulaks.  We would slay one band of Kulaks, and then top the hill and lo and behold there was another band of Kulaks waiting, only twice as many as the first bunch.  They were like the Chinese.  There had to be a billion of them. 

Like Sir Pig said, to some of us, baseball is our true sports passion, specifically Razorback baseball.  I'm in that bunch.  I live for Hog baseball.  My sister, a UA grad, is worse than me.  She cried.  Today I'm dejected but I'm not discouraged.  The Great Red Army will rise from the smoke and ash to do battle again!! 

I would love to see the eligible troops come back for another season, like with the LSU players that returned specifically to pursue a national Championship this season.  If you could put the majority of this team back together for another season, it would be something really special.  I know that probably will not happen, but I can wish.  C-Span, even with all his power, is still only a 4th to 5th round projection.  Another season and he goes 2nd round, maybe late in the first if he leads the nation in HR's, which he likely would. 

Knight's stock has dropped some in the last month of the season, now projected as a late 2nd to mid-3rd rounder.  Knight actually needs another year to grow mentally and physically.  If Knight comes back and adds 8 to 10 lbs of weight and has a solid season, he can go 1st round after next season.  I work with a lady from Bryant that has a grandson that played with Knight at Bryant HS. She has known Blaine and his family since Blaine was just a little boy.  She says returning for another season as a Razorback is part of the discussion with Blaine's family, so cross your fingers.

If basically boils down to whether these guys want a true spotlight year in college.

In finale, thanks to all of you PBP guys for your time.  You guys are nothing short of great fans.  The game is more fun to me because of you guys here that put this together.  And if you ever need the game called in Red Army vs Kulak style, I'm your man.   LOL.   ;D

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 06, 2017, 10:54:28 am #43 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:05:08 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 06, 2017, 02:56:05 am
I love these Hogs and will miss the players that are leaving.  My heart hurts right now...

Great post, great year, cannot wait until next year bc we have some incredible young talent!

As much as the fan's hearts hurt, imagine being in the shoes of a player.  I feel for our boys.  They gave every ounce they had.  It was obvious, they left it all on the field, and no one can ask for any more than that.

tennesseehogwild

We played a really solid game yesterday. The pitching was awesome. One little mistake was the difference yesterday. As bad as I still hurt today, great job by the Razorbacks......GHG.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 05, 2017, 11:40:45 pm
There was one pitch that changed the entire regional. And that was Friday afternoon when Eirman(sp?) hit the walk off on okie lite.

Misery State loses that game and the entire weekend looks totally different.

Still great baseball, just wish our hitting would've shown up like it did the majority of the year.
no love for the pitch that plunked Bonfield, but was called just a ball? That changed a lot too.

TexArkHogFan

I don't post much but I love my Hogs, football, basketball, baseball and growing up being an avid runner I love to follow the Hogs in track.  I am a big baseball fan, I probably watched or listened to every Hog baseball game played.  Because I don't post much if that makes me less of a fan, then so be it.  I live in Texarkana, about a five hour drive so I don't travel to the games, plus I'm  82 years old and I might not be able to find my way back home.   I have been a Red Sox fan since high school and the Sox had Mr. Ted Williams roaming the outfield. In my mind, he was the greatest pure hitter to ever play the game.  Had he not lost five years of his prime due to WWII and Korea he would have a lot more records for others to shoot at.  Adding Benentendi this year just made it so much better to root for the Red Sox.   But, I have observed one truth about baseball.  Even in the pros, a team can have a great season yet not so great in the playoffs and mostly because of this one truth.  Good pitching will win over good hitting ninety-five percent of the time.  The college game is unique in the regionals where a team plays a minimum of three games in three days and as the Hogs did this year, stretch it out to five games in three days.  So, you need more than two good pitchers to survive the regionals where in the pros you have a extra two days in between a seven game playoff and two good shutdown pitchers can carry the load.  In my wildest dreams, I never thought the Hogs would be held to two runs in the final game, but that's what makes baseball so much fun to watch.  It is so unpredictable, where one pitch or one error can change the outcome of the game.  But, we'll be back, we always do because we have one of the best coaches in college baseball.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

trippigs

Thanks to all who keep Extra Innings the best site I have ever seen. And hats off to the Hogs and coaches who had a tremendous year. Hog baseball is entertainment to me and the joys exceed the frustrations this year.....that make for a simple pleasure in this topsy world. Go Hogs.

SPAL

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on June 06, 2017, 12:52:56 pm
I don't post much but I love my Hogs, football, basketball, baseball and growing up being an avid runner I love to follow the Hogs in track.  I am a big baseball fan, I probably watched or listened to every Hog baseball game played.  Because I don't post much if that makes me less of a fan, then so be it.  I live in Texarkana, about a five hour drive so I don't travel to the games, plus I'm  82 years old and I might not be able to find my way back home.   I have been a Red Sox fan since high school and the Sox had Mr. Ted Williams roaming the outfield. In my mind, he was the greatest pure hitter to ever play the game.  Had he not lost five years of his prime due to WWII and Korea he would have a lot more records for others to shoot at.  Adding Benentendi this year just made it so much better to root for the Red Sox.   But, I have observed one truth about baseball.  Even in the pros, a team can have a great season yet not so great in the playoffs and mostly because of this one truth.  Good pitching will win over good hitting ninety-five percent of the time.  The college game is unique in the regionals where a team plays a minimum of three games in three days and as the Hogs did this year, stretch it out to five games in three days.  So, you need more than two good pitchers to survive the regionals where in the pros you have a extra two days in between a seven game playoff and two good shutdown pitchers can carry the load.  In my wildest dreams, I never thought the Hogs would be held to two runs in the final game, but that's what makes baseball so much fun to watch.  It is so unpredictable, where one pitch or one error can change the outcome of the game.  But, we'll be back, we always do because we have one of the best coaches in college baseball.

Not posting much doesn't make you less of a fan. But I wish you would post more.

daBoar

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on June 06, 2017, 12:52:56 pm
I never thought the Hogs would be held to two runs in the final game, but that's what makes baseball so much fun to watch.
I'd be willing to bet that's how the HC felt too.  But net-net, I felt MSU had a better team.  That shouldn't take away from what the Hogs accomplished.  The Hogs greatly exceeded many expectations for the season.  Perhaps we'd of felt better if it were LSU that vanquished us?  But as said, a bunch of one run games...that's pretty good baseball.