Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baiting and Hunting Deer Poll

Started by IronHog, November 03, 2010, 12:09:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with current AGFC regulations for hunting deer over bait.

Yes, and I hunt over bait.
No, and I hunt over bait.
Yes, and I DO NOT hunt over bait.
No, and I DO NOT hunt over bait.
OTHER (please explain)

IronHog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 10, 2010, 11:31:14 am
I honestly think baiting is detrimental to your chances of shooting a big buck, especially if you hunt right over a feeder.  The way to use one would be to set one up, and then hunt right up next to the cover you knew a big buck was using and try and catch him right at daylight or dark slipping in or out from using the feeder.

But most people just hunt right over the feeder and a big buck will show himself in daylight at the feeder only a few times and probably only when he is absolutely rut crazed.

That is why serious buck hunters normally pour their bait on the ground.

I know several serious deer hunters that have good luck broadcasting corn....and my own experiment this year demonstrated it is much more effective than using mechanical feeders.

I'm about to leave and sit on a wheat field in zone 16.  I'm gonna pour 40lbs of corn out just for the heck of it.............
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 09, 2010, 10:19:08 pm
As a point of order, baiting in Arkansas has been legal as long as I can remember.  In fact, there probably was never a prohibition against it except maybe on some refuges and management areas. 

I watched the phenomenon develop.  You see, it wasn't an issue in Arkansas until Wal-Mart started selling "deer corn" (like they did in Texas).  People started buying it because it was suddenly so handy.  Baiting was not commonly done in Arkansas before at least the late 80s.  By the time the use of bait for deer became an issue, it was too late, Arkansas hunters had developed an attachment to it.  The AGFC would have had to go against a fairly substantial baiting constituency to outlaw it and, since the use of bait for deer doesn't have the same impact it does on birds, it was a fight they didn't want or need.

I thought it was highly illegal when I was growing up...............

Albert Einswine

Unless I'm completely mistaken baiting in Arkansas was illegal when I was a teenager hunting in the natural state.  I was shocked when I was stationed in Michigan in '85 to find that baiting was perfectly legal there.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 10, 2010, 12:39:05 pm
Unless I'm completely mistaken baiting in Arkansas was illegal when I was a teenager hunting in the natural state.  I was shocked when I was stationed in Michigan in '85 to find that baiting was perfectly legal there.

I'd have to do some research as to whether there was ever a general prohibition on baiting deer.  There were no general prohibitions during the 70s.  In other words, the AGFC didn't take action to make it legal, it just never was prohibited.  Why that is, I don't know because there have been prohibitions against baiting waterfowl and turkeys since the early 1900s.

Again, at the risk of getting another smart comment, the deer baiting wasn't widely done until "deer corn" began to be marketed by Wal-Mart and others.  Until then, I think people just didn't realize it wasn't illegal.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Albert Einswine

JIMMY,  I could swear it was expressly listed as a prohibition in the regulation booklet when I was a teen, but I can't be adamant.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

IronHog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 10, 2010, 01:56:40 pm
I'd have to do some research as to whether there was ever a general prohibition on baiting deer.  There were no general prohibitions during the 70s.  In other words, the AGFC didn't take action to make it legal, it just never was prohibited.  Why that is, I don't know because there have been prohibitions against baiting waterfowl and turkeys since the early 1900s.

Again, at the risk of getting another smart comment, the deer baiting wasn't widely done until "deer corn" began to be marketed by Wal-Mart and others.  Until then, I think people just didn't realize it wasn't illegal.

I always thought it was a compromise type thing when they started to crack down on dog hunting in certain parts of the state.