Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football 101

Started by bennyl08, March 07, 2018, 03:05:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/3/7/5481472/football-101-an-offseason-guide-to-better-understanding-the-game

For those who want to understand football at a deeper level including terminology that you hear in passing but rarely gets explained or if you just want a refresher, or if you're jut bored and want to read some real football talk, the above is a pretty good resource explaining in depth things like the route tree, difference between man blocking and zone blocking on the OL, and so on.

Its from a few years ago and I've posted this here before, but it's fun to go back and read again to me.

It is targeted to pro-style offenses given that it is from the NFL. However, a lot of the fundamentals in here are seen in the HUNH offenses and football is pretty much all made from the same building blocks, just put together a little bit different.

Musk's thread on Morris's offense at Clemson is in a similar vein to this and does a good job covering the modern zone-read option that we are seeing in modern football and will likely see a good amount of under Morris which this link doesn't really cover. However, every play won't be like that and this goes into defense as well with Chavis running a pro-style defense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

WedingtonStreaker

Will reading this make me a better poster on Hogville? Fingers Crossed.

bennyl08

Quote from: WedingtonStreaker on March 07, 2018, 03:34:21 pm

Depends on who you ask. Posting facts is seemingly frowned upon here.

However, is your screenname accurate?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BearsBisonsBoars

March 07, 2018, 04:04:34 pm #3 Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:22:22 pm by BearsBisonsBoars

There is no better here. Give in to the trolling and the homerism and the cliques. Let them flow through you.

elksnort

I guess I am old school. When I think of football 101, I think of blocking, tackling, defense moving on the ball, offense going on the count.

Someone had posted before that football 101 is 11 package or whatever on offense. The thing is, this is not complicated but I don't recall these terms years ago. I think some terminology and phrases can change over the years. For instance, when I was involved with football, "contain" was used but not "set the edge". Just small stuff, I know.

I guess my point is that what seems like 101, might be something that has changed in how it is presented or termed.

thanks for your input.

WedingtonStreaker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 07, 2018, 04:03:10 pm
Depends on who you ask. Posting facts is seemingly frowned upon here.

However, is your screenname accurate?

I have dabbled in warmer weather.

bennyl08

Quote from: elksnort on March 07, 2018, 04:08:40 pm
I guess I am old school. When I think of football 101, I think of blocking, tackling, defense moving on the ball, offense going on the count.

Someone had posted before that football 101 is 11 package or whatever on offense. The thing is, this is not complicated but I don't recall these terms years ago. I think some terminology and phrases can change over the years. For instance, when I was involved with football, "contain" was used but not "set the edge". Just small stuff, I know.

I guess my point is that what seems like 101, might be something that has changed in how it is presented or termed.

thanks for your input.

Good points. The series on that website appears aimed to cover slightly more advanced topics about schemes and terminology, geared to people who watch football more than describing the basics of how to physically play.

Seahawks had a great video a while back on tackling drills and teaching proper tackling. Really good watch.

Also, could you refresh me on the package nomenclature. I remember the number describes how many backs (half and full backs) and TE's are in the formation but I always forget which one comes first. Like, is 12 personnel one RB and two TE's or is it one TE and two RB's? with of course the number of receivers being five minus the first digit plus the second. So, there'd be two WR's in that 12 personnel.

Jborohog09

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 07, 2018, 05:08:00 pm
Good points. The series on that website appears aimed to cover slightly more advanced topics about schemes and terminology, geared to people who watch football more than describing the basics of how to physically play.

Seahawks had a great video a while back on tackling drills and teaching proper tackling. Really good watch.

Also, could you refresh me on the package nomenclature. I remember the number describes how many backs (half and full backs) and TE's are in the formation but I always forget which one comes first. Like, is 12 personnel one RB and two TE's or is it one TE and two RB's? with of course the number of receivers being five minus the first digit plus the second. So, there'd be two WR's in that 12 personnel.

The first number is how many backs there are.

elksnort

Jborohog09 obviously knows about the personel numbering system, which makes sense, but unless I wasnt paying attention in the early 80s (quite possible) I dont remember this.

WBOBO

No you have to read Football 102 to become a better poster.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Jborohog09

Quote from: elksnort on March 07, 2018, 05:55:09 pm
Jborohog09 obviously knows about the personel numbering system, which makes sense, but unless I wasnt paying attention in the early 80s (quite possible) I dont remember this.

It helps that I coach haha.  I'm not sure how they did it back then.