Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everybody’s best game

Started by jpsand, January 17, 2018, 06:49:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsand

Why does everyone bring there best game when we play them.  LSU shoots 62% for the game and now Florida is shooting 67%.

ADavisTheGOAT

Because Mike Anderson has to go
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

razorbackchamps94

Torqued pork

Arazorbackguy1

We're tired from picking up those bears.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

cardsNhogs

Hog Pharm

Quote from: jpsand on January 17, 2018, 06:49:09 pm
Why does everyone bring there best game when we play them.  LSU shoots 62% for the game and now Florida is shooting 67%.

Same reason we always have a lot of fouls called against us.

tkclark

At some point people will realize that Anderson is not a good defensive coach.  A team with decent guards will destroy his half-assed attempts at running the press and they will also force a favorable switch on the perimeter since Mike has his defensive players switch so much.  That is why players get so many open looks against us and why you look up and see one of our bigs trying to check a guard 25 feet from the basket.   A good coach and guard know how to beat this defense.   Tonight is terrible.  Nothing new.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: tkclark on January 17, 2018, 07:01:27 pm
At some point people will realize that Anderson is not a good defensive coach.  A team with decent guards will destroy his half-assed attempts at running the press and they will also force a favorable switch on the perimeter since Mike has his defensive players switch so much.  That is why players get so many open looks against us and why you look up and see one of our bigs trying to check a guard 25 feet from the basket.   A good coach and guard know how to beat this defense.   Tonight is terrible.  Nothing new.

His idea of good defense is forcing a lot of turnovers and quick shots, not playing fundamental half court defense. We're doing neither unfortunately.

Cinco de Hogo

Because they are ALLOWED to shoot 60+%

okrazorback

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 17, 2018, 06:59:21 pm
Same reason we always have a lot of fouls called against us.

So we are losing because of the refs?

oldbooniehog

Because any team with decent guards and any sort of an actual offensive concept can take apart the Hogs continual efforts to "turn it into a street fight."

nwahogfan1

Because we do not have a defense.  WE are not forcing bad shots.  We are allowing dribble penetration.  We are not forcing the offense to look bad.  Force the offense to do things they are not comfortable doing.

tkclark

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 17, 2018, 07:19:40 pm
Because any team with decent guards and any sort of an actual offensive concept can take apart the Hogs continual efforts to "turn it into a street fight."

Spot on.  I said this earlier.  You would think the staff would see film and consider this but don't think any game film is ever reviewed.

BroyledNutts

It's not that they play their best against us.
It's that we play so marginally that it makes other teams appear much better than they may be.

hawg1221

I'm not going to be negative, but the one thing that always seems to be missing is discipline. I'm not sure you can play Anderson's aggressive style and maintain discipline.

canonhog

It's our D. Not the team we play
Canonhog

Hog Pharm

Quote from: okrazorback on January 17, 2018, 07:14:45 pm
So we are losing because of the refs?

Ummm no. We lose because of what we do, not because the other team always plays great against us or the refs hate us.

Dr. Starcs

Because layups, free throws and uncontested 3s aren't hard for most teams to make.

HogBreath

I cannot figure out why our opponents always play so well against us...I just don't know, maybe they play their best because they're scared by the legendary fast forty??
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

razorpimp

The Hogs nickname should be slump busters...any player in a slump just needs to play the Hogs

Rbill

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 17, 2018, 08:03:36 pm
Because layups, free throws and uncontested 3s aren't hard for most teams to make.

Lol. Well put.

urkillnmesmalls

Well, if you're slumping from the outside, here's the good news, we'll let you drive right down the lane, uncontested for layups.  You're welcome KeVaugn Allen.  Get your confidence back, and then step back and let some uncontested 3's go.   

If you're not playing well as a scorer, we'll leave you as open as you need to be at the 3 point line to take as much time as you need to line it up and fire.

We finally tried to play defense in the second half for about 5 minutes and cut it to 9, but one turnover and it was back to matador defense.   

Any more questions? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PonderinHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 10:00:59 pm
Well, if you're slumping from the outside, here's the good news, we'll let you drive right down the lane, uncontested for layups.  You're welcome KeVaugn Allen.  Get your confidence back, and then step back and let some uncontested 3's go.   

If you're not playing well as a scorer, we'll leave you as open as you need to be at the 3 point line to take as much time as you need to line it up and fire.

We finally tried to play defense in the second half for about 5 minutes and cut it to 9, but one turnover and it was back to matador defense.   

Any more questions?
I sure hope he appreciates all we've done for him, dammit!   >:(

Buff

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2018, 10:05:45 pm
I sure hope he appreciates all we've done for him, dammit!   >:(

It dawned on me as I watched the telecast that when the announcer was talking about KeVaughn Allen getting all the shots from the sets in practice, that was BRILLIANT coaching.  What better way to get a team to rally and support each other than to take the kid from LR, who was allegedly not given the attention he felt he deserved during the recruiting process, and make it an "us versus them" situation? 

If he comes out and lays an egg, then the team just rallies to pick him up.  But...when he came out driving down the lane, and then lighting up the nets from 3, it just lifted everyone to support his efforts. 

What about OUR coach getting our team to put the clamps on him, and NOT allow him to show up the home state players WHO STAYED HOME to play for the UA?  Instead...season high in points. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Because Mike's awesome amazing system gives up layups dunks and wide open 3's while he screams to trap and switch 40 ft from the basket.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 10:13:20 pm
It dawned on me as I watched the telecast that when the announcer was talking about KeVaughn Allen getting all the shots from the sets in practice, that was BRILLIANT coaching.  What better way to get a team to rally and support each other than to take the kid from LR, who was allegedly not given the attention he felt he deserved during the recruiting process, and make it an "us versus them" situation? 

If he comes out and lays an egg, then the team just rallies to pick him up.  But...when he came out driving down the lane, and then lighting up the nets from 3, it just lifted everyone to support his efforts. 

What about OUR coach getting our team to put the clamps on him, and NOT allow him to show up the home state players WHO STAYED HOME to play for the UA?  Instead...season high in points.

The most frustrating thing is that this has happened every time he's played Arkansas since he's left.

farfromgroovins

Can we close this thread? I believe the OP's question has been answered.

Großer Kriegschwein

Nolan would putnin his entire second string to wear down the opponents starters. Even the second string could play nearly world class defense and push the ball down the court.

It's development, coaching and "want to".
This is my non-signature signature.

GoHogs1091

Matador defense.

Which should have been known that is what we were getting when the Anderson hire was made.

The low IQ person who made the hire apparently could not figure out the history of matador defense by Anderson's prior teams.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2018, 10:43:30 pm
Because Mike's awesome amazing system gives up layups dunks and wide open 3's while he screams to trap and switch 40 ft from the basket.
Yup. We can't continue to trap full court when every SEC opponent does fairly well in breaking it. Even if we spot up man to man half court and can't keep up on the ball or a poor zone with holes, it's better than giving up free points to a broken press/trap bc of the time. Quicker they break our D and find the open man the more they score. Incase nobody has noticed our offense hasn't exactly showed up in SEC play in terms of that 90 points per game. We need to slow the game down. Play a more traditional defense and hope to God Anderson makes this team run actual offensive plays consistently and not hero ball every other possession.

hogsanity

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 17, 2018, 11:11:04 pm
Yup. We can't continue to trap full court when every SEC opponent does fairly well in breaking it. Even if we spot up man to man half court and can't keep up on the ball or a poor zone with holes, it's better than giving up free points to a broken press/trap bc of the time. Quicker they break our D and find the open man the more they score. Incase nobody has noticed our offense hasn't exactly showed up in SEC play in terms of that 90 points per game. We need to slow the game down. Play a more traditional defense and hope to God Anderson makes this team run actual offensive plays consistently and not hero ball every other possession.

BWAHHHHHH actual offensive plays BWAHHHHHH.  1 I dont think he can teach them and I'm not sure he recruits kids that can run them. Go back and look at some comments from and about Portis when he joined the Bulls about how he found it weird to run plays and have sets.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2018, 11:14:50 pm

BWAHHHHHH actual offensive plays BWAHHHHHH.  1 I dont think he can teach them and I'm not sure he recruits kids that can run them. Go back and look at some comments from and about Portis when he joined the Bulls about how he found it weird to run plays and have sets.

Good point! I remember Portis talking about the in game transition being tough with the offensive scheme difference. Hinting not much complexity to MA run and gun. Nothing there.

Wild Bill Hog

Other teams look so good because we are so bad.

HamIAm

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 17, 2018, 08:03:36 pm

I'm starting to think that like blocking out, free throws are not part of our offensive philosophy.

ke2743

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 17, 2018, 11:33:12 pm
Good point! I remember Portis talking about the in game transition being tough with the offensive scheme difference. Hinting not much complexity to MA run and gun. Nothing there.

I'd be happy with a simple motion offense.