Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slobbering Hog petition

Started by NuttinItUp, November 17, 2017, 10:49:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

November 17, 2017, 10:49:04 pm Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:01:14 am by NuttinItUp
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Jeff Long killed one of the best traditions that Arkansas had: Slobbering Hog. The new AD needs to be made aware of the situation.

I just created a petition to bring back Slobbering Hog:
https://www.change.org/p/university-of-arkansas-athletic-department-bring-back-slobbering-hog

Hopefully if enough people sign it, the biggest mistake in Jeff's tenure can be reversed. Slobbering Hog was brought over from Barnhill Arena to Bud Walton when it opened in 1993. It is one of the best traditions we had.

ImYourHoggleberry

That's gonna be a hard no for me.

I respect the tradition, but in 2017 it just looks "special" and malnourished.

jgphillips3

If the next AD is one of the 3 or 4 names most mentioned, I would say they are already well aware of it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2017, 10:51:11 pm
If the next AD is one of the 3 or 4 names most mentioned, I would say they are already well aware of it.

True. Can't hurt though to show people actually care about the issue.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ImYourHoggleberry on November 17, 2017, 10:50:17 pm
That's gonna be a hard no for me.

I respect the tradition, but in 2017 it just looks "special" and malnourished.

Go troll somewhere else, please.

Hollywood870

Also the chant the student body used to sing prior to the tip off mysteriously vanished. Y'all know what I'm talking about?

870_hog

Going to be a no for me too and no I'm not a troll

Hollywood870

The entire "Pre Tip Off" Needs to go back to what it was. 9:45 mark.   

hogsmash12

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 17, 2017, 11:02:00 pm
The entire "Pre Tip Off" Needs to go back to what it was. 9:45 mark.   

Hell yeah!!!

010HogFan

Just curious why people don't want it back? It was one of the coolest things we have had. If it were up to me we'd bring back an updated version of the old unis too. We had an identity and it's almost like we are ashamed of it.

Cure

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 17, 2017, 11:09:38 pm
Just curious why people don't want it back?
The kids playing in the program and getting recruited don't know what it was, only the older crowd. Leave it in the past.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 17, 2017, 11:09:38 pm
Just curious why people don't want it back? It was one of the coolest things we have had. If it were up to me we'd bring back an updated version of the old unis too. We had an identity and it's almost like we are ashamed of it.

It is either:
1) Trolling for a reaction. (usually indicated by a new account or low post count)
2) They just want to argue for argument's sake. (My mom calls this the "they would argue with you if you said the sky was blue" type of people.)
3) They are too young to remember Slobbering Hog.
4) They genuinely do not like Slobbering Hog. (small minority)

The last time there was a poll on it, it was like 88% for bringing back Slobbering Hog.

NuttinItUp

VirginiaHog

That's a no for me too. I am not trolling. I am not trying to get a response. I am old enough to remember.
You know it's funny. I was upset when they got rid of it. And have always wanted it back (based on memories). But since you guys have posted pictures of It, it is not as cool as I remembered. Seeing the pics of this and pics of the current, I want to keep the current.

hawgmasta

SouthernBoy69

I'm totally for it.  This was one of the marketing aspects that made no sense to me by Jeff Long.  It seems that every other SEC school embraces the tradition of old logos, uniforms, etc...except Mizzou... that's mainly because they have no tradition.   Nike has jacked up everything from the stupid fonts to the forward facing hog.   It's all gimmick stuff – we will look back at it in 5 to 10 years and laugh at it like we did with the apex uniforms.   I honestly don't know why we don't just go back to the 1964 uniforms... It's clean, it's classic-and yeah, it looks like Bama, so did everyone else until ab 1990.   In my opinion, if you are changing up the look of your uniforms and adding different color schemes it's because you're out of ideas to make yourself appealing...and let's be real...it hasn't changed much on the hill going with chrome helmets and anthracite uniforms.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

IronMountainHog

This is a football forum. Jump ball is for basketball and basketball courts. Slobbering hog looks ridiculous and outdated. Leave the new hog.

SouthernBoy69

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 18, 2017, 12:05:59 am
This is a football forum. Jump ball is for basketball and basketball courts. Slobbering hog looks ridiculous and outdated. Leave the new hog.

Says guy who probably bought a forward facing hog camo flat bill.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: SouthernBoy69 on November 18, 2017, 12:33:05 am
Says guy who probably bought a forward facing hog camo flat bill.
Says a 3 post still sucking on the hind teet.

NuttinItUp

NuttinItUp

From a Blake Eddins twitter post in 2013:

Did there used to be one between the free throw line and the top of the key as well?  (or is this from somewhere else?)

ZERO

I like slobbering Hog, but it's not THAT big of a deal. If I had to choose, I'd rather get rid of the stupid looking forward-facing Hog.

Slobbering Hog was not bad or "embarrassing" looking, though. I'm more confused as to why they felt the need to get rid of it, rather than feel angry that they did. But don't worry, I feel like the new AD will be someone more in tune with Arkansas traditions and will likely bring it back.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

NuttinItUp

IronMountainHog

We get it NuttinItUp. You really, really, really like slobbering hog. The thing is most of us either don't or could care less. Sorry bro.

Hogwild

We need to follow the University of Pittsburgh led and erase him all together.

http://www.collegehelmetstore.com/pitt.htm

Pumbaa

I loved it back in the day but it does seem a little vintage at this point. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the slobberin hog. Just maybe an updated version though?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 18, 2017, 12:57:25 am
We get it NuttinItUp. You really, really, really like slobbering hog. The thing is most of us either don't or could care less. Sorry bro.

I apologize if any of the pictures of Slobbering Hog offend you. If you have no interest in this thread, then there are plenty of other threads you can go to or post in. Since you have posted so many times in this thread, I assume you are actually interested in Slobbering Hog even if you do not admit it to yourself. It is ok to have secret deep down Slobbering Hog desires that you do not want to admit to; there are plenty of Hog fans that do. Sorry bruh.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 17, 2017, 10:56:46 pm
Also the chant the student body used to sing prior to the tip off mysteriously vanished. Y'all know what I'm talking about?

I heard "We're Gonna beat"... I guess the rest is "The Hell Outta You", but what's the rest of it? Is it that Whole Hog, half ham thing..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

pigture perfect

I want the slobber Hawg back. Sign me up.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Farmer Hogget

Slobbering Hog was a humiliation to the state.  You clearly know nothing about marketing if you do not understand the need to get rid of it. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 18, 2017, 01:41:51 am
Slobbering Hog was a humiliation to the state.  You clearly know nothing about marketing if you do not understand the need to get rid of it. 

1) Just want it in one spot (midcourt), not in any marketing materials.
2) Marketing is about reaching consumers and giving them what they want, not telling them what they should want. If consumers already want something, then you are reaching them by giving them that thing they want. (in this case, Slobbering Hog)
3) I do not think Slobbering Hog was in any way a humiliation. He was great!

Pork Twain

I much prefer the new hog.  I would rather have the forward facing hog than that ugly slobbering hog.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 18, 2017, 02:02:07 am
1) Just want it in one spot (midcourt), not in any marketing materials.
2) Marketing is about reaching consumers and giving them what they want, not telling them what they should want. If consumers already want something, then you are reaching them by giving them that thing they want. (in this case, Slobbering Hog)
3) I do not think Slobbering Hog was in any way a humiliation. He was great!
I think you assume you are in the majority.  I do not believe that to be true.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

lilRockNDubb

Some things should be left in the past.

SemperFi

I'm no troll and I've been around for 49 years, so I remember the slobbering Hog and I prefer the new Hog logo. The old logo looks cartoonish. That is my personal preference. Good luck with your petition.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

1highhog

Quote from: hawgmasta on November 17, 2017, 11:42:21 pm
National champions right there

Can you post a picture of the court the way it looks now and the way it looked in 1994 so we get a comparison of the two?

Pork Twain

November 18, 2017, 05:14:08 am #38 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:27:57 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2017, 04:53:44 am
Can you post a picture of the court the way it looks now and the way it looked in 1994 so we get a comparison of the two?

That slobbering hog is hot garbage.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Cure on November 17, 2017, 11:18:49 pm
The kids playing in the program and getting recruited don't know what it was, only the older crowd. Leave it in the past.
Relevance?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Pork Twain

Jowls

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 18, 2017, 12:57:25 am
We get it NuttinItUp. You really, really, really like slobbering hog. The thing is most of us either don’t or could care less. Sorry bro.

Shut yo mouth!
I.D.I.C.

Bacons Rebellion

Maybe slobberin' students find it offensive.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Jowls on November 18, 2017, 05:21:27 am
Shut yo mouth!

Jim Mountain is looking for you Jowls. You got yo own problems to worry about.

rljjr

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 18, 2017, 01:41:51 am

Really? People know nothing about marketing if they want Slobbering Hog back. Ok. Why not be honest and say you don't like it. You must not know much about marketing either if we changed all the fonts except the ones in the end zone. Or, in the sake of preserving a tradition we kept a hole in the stadium renovation, yet the tradition of slobbering Hog was killed. Perhaps all of the tradition of going to a gray uniform for "marketing" because that sure screams Arkansas.
Sometimes it's the academically smartest people in the room who are the most obtuse. "But, but, marketing reseqrch shows ..." Arkansas had a strong brand before through tradition and winning.
I don't care if you don't like it. That's your opinion. But don't try and throw some straw man argument (weak, by the way) about marketing out there like you're the smartest guy in the room.

Steef

I'm old school. But I like the new Hog better than slobbering Hog.

ImYourHoggleberry

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 11:19:42 pm
It is either:
1) Trolling for a reaction. (usually indicated by a new account or low post count)
2) They just want to argue for argument's sake. (My mom calls this the "they would argue with you if you said the sky was blue" type of people.)
3) They are too young to remember Slobbering Hog.
4) They genuinely do not like Slobbering Hog. (small minority)

The last time there was a poll on it, it was like 88% for bringing back Slobbering Hog.

I'm sorry that the support for the Slobbering Hog isn't what you thought it would be. But to be clear, I've been going to Razorback basketball games since 1987. There are other traditions I sorely miss.

1: The Barnhill noise meter
2: The student section that actually cared.
3: The band that would mess with the refs in timeouts.
4: People actually coming to basketball games
5: Being able to wave the huge #1 flag because we were usually #1 in the country.

The slobbering Hog had its place in time. That time has passed.

The NewEra

Quote from: Steef on November 18, 2017, 07:16:42 am
I'm old school. But I like the new Hog better than slobbering Hog.

Count me in for the stay the way it is now crowd.  Sometimes change is better and this is one of those times.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 18, 2017, 05:14:08 am
That slobbering hog is hot garbage.

Wow.  I thought I wanted slobberin' Hog back too until I saw the side-by-side comparison.  I prefer the new look.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rljjr on November 18, 2017, 07:10:52 am
Really? People know nothing about marketing if they want Slobbering Hog back. Ok. Why not be honest and say you don't like it. You must not know much about marketing either if we changed all the fonts except the ones in the end zone. Or, in the sake of preserving a tradition we kept a hole in the stadium renovation, yet the tradition of slobbering Hog was killed. Perhaps all of the tradition of going to a gray uniform for "marketing" because that sure screams Arkansas.
Sometimes it's the academically smartest people in the room who are the most obtuse. "But, but, marketing reseqrch shows ..." Arkansas had a strong brand before through tradition and winning.
I don't care if you don't like it. That's your opinion. But don't try and throw some straw man argument (weak, by the way) about marketing out there like you're the smartest guy in the room.

You're wasting you time trying to enlighten the folks in the dark...  ;)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?