Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long Releases Statement Regarding Firing

Started by Jason Carroll, November 15, 2017, 07:11:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 15, 2017, 09:19:25 pm
That's because a lot of the fans are know it all blowhards who get their information from drive time sports and hogville. But what would these kids know they only worked directly with him.  I'm sure they don't realize he is a carpet bagging yankee who came here to ruin football and force us to drink Pepsi.  He cared too much about fancy book learnin

No doubt, the 18-22 year olds always know better than old people...like the ones who built the university and are most likely paying to put them through it.

Long wants to be able to get another job.  Ripping Arkansas and its administration on the way out the door helps...how?

a0ashle

He will go on to do great things at another university and some will un-ironically wonder what was wrong with him that he couldn't do that here.

snoblind

Might be a good idea to find out the actual reasons behind the dismissal before canonizing the man.  If somebody was paying me over $80K/month to ride off into the sunset I'd also write a nice letter.

rude1

Nothing to see here, JL is an eloquent speaker, plus I am sure it is written some where in that buyout that he is NOT to speak ill of the University or its representatives. Unless you really thought he would release a statement full of
animosity.

hawgbawb

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

LZH

Quote from: rude1 on November 16, 2017, 03:02:28 am
Nothing to see here, JL is an eloquent speaker, plus I am sure it is written some where in that buyout that he is NOT to speak ill of the University or its representatives. Unless you really thought he would release a statement full of
animosity.

True. I never had any problem with Jeff, but it is starting to get the feel of some funny business going on with the books or maybe something else. And keep in mind that is just conjecture on my part.

Besides, what else is he going to say? "I took your money for 10 years so you can stick your thumb up your butt bunch of dumb ass hillbillies?" No, he was a pretty classy guy so he went out that way.

MissippHog

Quote from: hawgbawb on November 16, 2017, 03:35:52 am
I think he'll be missed.
I do as well.

That being said, it was time.  Everyone has to be on the same page and I think it's obvious that wasn't the case.  He'll be fine and will most likely land a job with the NCAA or a higher profile institution than Arkansas.   

mhuff

TexArkHogFan

Hogville wants instant gratification.  I don't care who we hire as AD and football coach we are in for at least three years of reloading and building a new system with new players.  So buckle up and get ready for the long haul cause ya'll are in for some rough times.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

hoglady

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on November 15, 2017, 07:21:01 pm
One of his last statements is very telling... the Razorbacks need the entire state behind them to compete in the SEC...

Gives you a view into his perception, just chew on that for a bit.

He never much seemed to care about most of the state when he was AD.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 15, 2017, 09:01:16 pm
He had NOTHING to do with the Pepsi contract mo ron.  And any time you fire a coach from a major program you are on a national state.  What a half wit.

Did you really mean to say "on a national state"?  If you are going to call someone a half wit and/or moron, you should be certain you don't sound like one.  Just saying.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: moses_007 on November 15, 2017, 07:18:44 pm
Wow, his reaction is 100 percent positive.  Not even a hint of animosity in his letter here.

That's how you excel, petty snippets leave you poor, lonely and jaded...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cinco de Hogo

Drama much?

I didn't like Long but expected nothing more or less.  It is what it is!

I've listened to national radio and there is NO backlash over this.  They understand, they aren't confused about the reasons why.

Seminole Indian

Sometimes things just don't work out and all you can hope for is an amicable divorce, and it looks like you got one.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

go hogues

Quote from: baitshop on November 15, 2017, 09:45:43 pm
Don't worry about Jeff Long, there will be a line trying to hire someone that can do for their university what Jeff Long has done for the UofA.

There WON'T be a line of folks of his caliber to come to our university and be subject to the knee jerk whims of our fan base and backwoods BOT's.
I'm really hoping our leadership has a plan, or otherwise, I think you may be right.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: snoblind on November 15, 2017, 11:25:35 pm
Might be a good idea to find out the actual reasons behind the dismissal before canonizing the man.  If somebody was paying me over $80K/month to ride off into the sunset I'd also write a nice letter.

Kind of my thoughts as well. It was a nice letter, but it's just a letter, and most people in his position are smart enough not to throw poo publicly in a written and documented form.

Let's allow this all to play out and see if there is any back channel nonsense that comes out of this to shed a bad light on the university and BOT. If not then I'll retract my thought.

We'll see.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

younghog

GO HOGS

BadHog

There is no doubt that Jeff did some good things: facility upgrades and .... let's see, facility upgrades and more facility upgrades.

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

go hogues

It's actually amazing that Jeff lasted as long as he did. It's hard to be the guy that follows the legend.

I agree that it was probably time to move apart but thanks for your service, Jeff.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HognotinMemphis

A few comments on this:

1. Long is not going to soil his own nest by including in his farewell letter even a veiled or indirect cut at his former employer. He likely wants to work again as an AD or some type of administrator.  I commend him on the tone he conveyed in his letter and the thoroughness of his thank you's to everyone who assisted him and his office. I like that he did not attempt to make any excuses and portrayed himself as very thankful and lucky to have had the job for a decade during turbulent times for athletics at the U of A.

2. I noted that he specifically mentioned this:

"It has been an honor and a privilege to serve under four Chancellors during my 10 years of service and to participate on their executive staffs.  I wish to thank Chancellor White, Chancellor Gearhart, President Sugg and Trustee Reed for believing that I could fill the formidable shoes of Coach Broyles and Bev Lewis.  I will always be grateful for the incredible opportunity to come to the University of Arkansas; it has been a 10-year labor of love."

If there WAS any attempt by Long to give a veiled slap at the U of A in his letter, it is this. 4 chancellors in 10 years. That's a lot of turnover for the chancellor's office, isn't it?

3. I do not know what variables were considered in weighing the firing of Long. I assume it was mostly due to poor performance of his hires, mainly Bielema, and the resulting lack of interest in football by ticket buyers and donors, and the long-term effects that poor performance can have on student applications and donations both to the general fund and to the RF. So point here is, 10 years is a "long" time for someone to be an AD at one place, and Long knows some issue would get him sooner than later the "longer" he stays at U of A. So, Long knows it is time to move on even if he does consider Fayetteville home and would not have resigned on his own.

4. Change is usually good, especially after a long period and/or a fair amount of time in which it is shown the job is not getting done.
See Bielema's 5 years at Arkansas for best example of this. He keeps saying he knows what he has built and that it is close to success. Of course he is going to say that. Just like the black knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail movie...he is not going to admit defeat because tomorrow will show improvement...hopefully. Well, half a decade of production says otherwise, Bret. Time to move on, old buddy.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: a0ashle on November 15, 2017, 11:07:43 pm
He will go on to do great things at another university and some will un-ironically wonder what was wrong with him that he couldn't do that here.

Doubt it..Pitt ran him off and Nebraska and Texas didn't want him!! But go ahead..

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: TebowHater on November 15, 2017, 07:21:42 pm
He exemplified that here.
Yes very classy..He's just to good for Arkansas and Arkansas people. He invented honesty and integrity here at Arkansas..Right? Cause we were scum before the great integrity of Long?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on November 15, 2017, 10:04:14 pm
Speaking the truth!

Sure he is too good for us...LMAO at the Arkansas bashers on here. Long invented honesty and integrity..Why couldn't Nebraska and Texas see that? Why didn't any of the other jobs he tried to get see that he cleaned up dirty ole Arkansas.

Give me a break he fired Petrino something every other AD in the country would have done. There was no choice but now he's hailed as the great man of integrity and honesty. Glad he's gone good luck to him and his family but he's no messiah.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 15, 2017, 10:38:43 pm
He deserved better.
He's always been a class guy.
I met him once, couldn't have been more friendly. I'm not a big money donor; I think he's just a good person.
All this balderdash about 'being out of touch with the common fan' is such baloney. Of course, coming from Wally Hall, it's bunk. Has Wally ever been right about anything? Can we keep Long and fire Wally?
I would have been ok with him staying on, with oversight. Was I comfortable with his hiring choices? No. I didn't want him hiring the next coach, alone, that is.
But he did everything else about the job very well.
And he was very well respected nationally.

It's too bad Bielema brought him down with that sinking ship.
It's a package deal; firing Petrino, hiring Bielema, with a disaster of John L Smith. All that combined killed him.

If he can't be trusted to hire the Football Coach how can he be this all great AD?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: cjack on November 15, 2017, 07:56:23 pm
I did not see a thank you to the BOT with the exception of one in particular.  I would like to thank the Board for their work in pushing for this change today.

The board finally let the boss know he wasn't king..Thank you to the board who put Arkansas first!!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: baitshop on November 15, 2017, 09:45:43 pm
Classy guy. Of course he's always been a classy guy.

Don't worry about Jeff Long, there will be a line trying to hire someone that can do for their university what Jeff Long has done for the UofA.

There WON'T be a line of folks of his caliber to come to our university and be subject to the knee jerk whims of our fan base and backwoods BOT's.

Sometimes I think that Clay Travis is right about us. SMH

Blah blah blah!! BS ...I ask again why didn't Nebraska hire him? Much smarter than we were and for sure smarter than you. Why didn't Texas hire him??? Why didn't several others hire this great man for their open AD positions? I'll hang up and listen.

Meanwhile as usual we will have great coaches and great AD's want this job. You people keep screaming over and over how we can't hire good coaches but Kiffin was ready to come to Arkansas while he was coaching Oakland? Hire Petrino even though Long was not the one who made that decision..Long is responsible for Pel and John L??? Beilema was a sitting HC but he never fit here?

mckinneyhog5

Great leader and it was a honor to have him as AD of UofA. He always put the university and student-athletes first. No matter what some say Integrity does go a long way. Thanks Jeff Long for your time here!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

DeltaBoy

November 16, 2017, 11:04:45 am #77 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:53:15 pm by DeltaBoy
Quote from: AP85 on November 15, 2017, 10:30:58 pm
Classy classy read.

Best of luck Jeff.

Love reading the uneducated redneck replies. Gotta wonder about some folks. This man was fired and continued to praise the university and program.

Yes and you would too if you got fired and was getting 1.1 million the next 3 or 4 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

He's Gone

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 11:04:45 am
Yes and you would too if your got fired and was getting 1.1 million the next 3 or 4 years.

If my what got fired?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 15, 2017, 08:38:42 pm
Good bye Jeffery Integrity Long and don't let the door hit you as you go out the door .

Thanks for the Millions you raised and Dam you for the Horrible hires you made!

I would have THOUGHT you would show a little more class Delta, but color me not surprised.  Make you a deal...don't continue your lame "Yankee carpetbagger" talk out of one side of your mouth, and then talk about how great Bobby Petrino was out of the other.  You can't have it both ways...

I just want to clear up a few things.  DO NOT act like he never hired anyone except his "yankee" buddies.  He was behind hiring Mike Anderson and Jimmy Dykes, both with connections to Arkansas that are about as strong as you can get, right?  Yep, screwed up by hiring BB in the end, but at the time he was a proven P5 commodity, and the national media thought it was a huge coup to get him.   

I just want to make sure that whoever comes next as AD and HFC, fans willl be aware that success is NOT guaranteed just because they may "love the state of Arkansas."  It doesn't work like that.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 16, 2017, 11:14:30 am
I would have THOUGHT you would show a little more class Delta, but color me not surprised.  Make you a deal...don't continue your lame "Yankee carpetbagger" talk out of one side of your mouth, and then talk about how great Bobby Petrino was out of the other.  You can't have it both ways...

I just want to clear up a few things.  DO NOT act like he never hired anyone except his "yankee" buddies.  He was behind hiring Mike Anderson and Jimmy Dykes, both with connections to Arkansas that are about as strong as you can get, right?  Yep, screwed up by hiring BB in the end, but at the time he was a proven P5 commodity, and the national media thought it was a huge coup to get him.   

I just want to make sure that whoever comes next as AD and HFC, fans willl be aware that success is NOT guaranteed just because they may "love the state of Arkansas."  It doesn't work like that.     

This is a good post. Very good post.

Wildhog

Classy statement by Long.  Wouldn't expect anything different.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DOGALUM

Delta is a [CENSORED] idiot.  Put him on ignore. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

urkillnmesmalls

If there is one thing I've learned in nearly 50 years, it is that crying over spilled milk is NEVER well received.  A veiled jab, disguised hook, or any other sort of way of "getting back" at the UA would be a career ending move for Jeff Long.  Burning bridges never helped anyone that I'm aware of.  The short term gain of feeling better about lashing back will give you a lifetime to regret doing it. 

That's why I wish our fans would be a little more thoughtful.  If BB was winning, the stadium was filled, and we were hearing about progress on the renovation and other projects, we would all be happy.  I can promise you that is exactly what Jeff Long wanted to be happening right now, and the posts that are insinuating he is a loser, and needs to be run out on a rail, just illustrate the ignorance of Hogville and our fan base.   

Show some class people.  JL and BB both tried...it just didn't work.  Can't we move on without looking like a bunch of derelicts who are acting like it's something bigger than it is?  Some of you are acting like it's a "north versus south" situation, which is embarrassing. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 16, 2017, 11:38:35 am

I've never put anyone on ignore, and I don't plan to start now.  I can handle whatever they have to say, and I like to hear all viewpoints. 

JL writes a humbling letter of acknowledgement, and thanks everyone including the fans.  Some on Hogville:  "Oh, he has to say things like that so he doesn't look like a poor sport."  Meanwhile, our fans can't connect the dots and realize that a reaction by the fans that is exactly the opposite, being a poor sport, isn't exactly helping to entice anyone else to want to come fill that role.

So...I assume we'll get this.  "Well, if anyone out there is looking at Hogville while considering this job, then that's not who we want anyway."  OH REALLY?  Then don't come at me with that BS that the new AD needs to be in touch with the fans, appreciate the fans and donors, and improve relationships.  Hogville is mentioned on the radio daily, and interviewees often refer to information from this board, and the guests are sometimes also referred to as "Hogville contributors."

Don't come off as a jerk people.  It doesn't solve ANYTHING.  Accept that he tried, it didn't work, and move on.  Show some dignity and respect.     

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 16, 2017, 11:38:35 am

Delta and several others are why I log on here.  You can't get entertainment like his just anywhere!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PorkRinds

Delta literally makes fun of people for losing their parents to cancer and is proud of it. Class doesn't enter into the equation with him.

budcampbellfan

"Arkansas is not a 'win at any cost program', however it is a hire at any cost program.  I ain't cheap and I don't leave cheap". - Long
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 16, 2017, 12:04:36 pm
Delta literally makes fun of people for losing their parents to cancer and is proud of it. Class doesn't enter into the equation with him.

Literally?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ex-Trumpet

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 16, 2017, 12:04:36 pm

I missed that..thankfully.   :o

RME

Really good article on Long. Headline says Bielema, but it's not about him much at all.

3 minute read.

http://gridironnow.com/jeff-long-bret-bielema-will-shortly/

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: snoblind on November 15, 2017, 11:25:35 pm
Or it could be that he is a professional.  And is behaving like a professional.  I know you would like to have more drama with him behaving like a buffoon on Hogville.  Sorry.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Cave City Joe on November 15, 2017, 07:39:17 pm
He seemed like a class act, just put dollars ahead of everything else.  It's not always about the money in sports.
And that showed even in his final letter. He didn't acknowledge Arkansas fans until the very end. I think Jeff really did try, but in the end he didn't understand how to connect with the people.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

RME

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 16, 2017, 01:47:59 pm
And that showed even in his final letter. He didn't acknowledge Arkansas fans until the very end. I think Jeff really did try, but in the end he didn't understand how to connect with the people.

The fans didn't give him his job. The fans didn't hire him. He didn't work for the fans. He worked for the University of Arkansas. It could be argued that the "fans" got him fired, but that wasn't the sole reason.

snoblind

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 16, 2017, 12:35:34 pm
Well I gotta see this...

Politics.  He had a pet name for Obama - Nobmama or something like that.  Think O's mom died of cancer so that why they say that.  DB had some lame excuse when called out on it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: snoblind on November 16, 2017, 02:27:45 pm

Politics.  He had a pet name for Obama - Nobmama or something like that.  Think O's mom died of cancer so that why they say that.  DB had some lame excuse when called out on it.

Nomamma is his insult. And he flat out said obama deserved it and anything was fair game.