Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it possible...

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, September 24, 2017, 10:23:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

...that next year REALLY is the year? Follow me...

Major issues this year has been with AA and leadership/chemistry with these young WRs.

Next year...we get Kelley who will have works with these young receivers for a little while AND produces a dual threat option to our offense (which many have asked why we don't go with a dual threat QB in the first place).

Our defense will have had a full year experience under their belt for the 3-4 scheme and will not be out of place as much.

We return some amazing offensive weapons in our RBs and TEs.

I'm not a "gosh darn...next year will be better" every year type of guy, as I predicted this would be a tough year. But what I said does make sense, right?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogblitz

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on September 24, 2017, 10:23:50 pm

Major issues this year has been with AA and leadership/chemistry with these young WRs.

Next year...we get Kelley who will have works with these young receivers for a little while AND produces a dual threat option to our offense (which many have asked why we don't go with a dual threat QB in the first place).

Our defense will have had a full year experience under their belt for the 3-4 scheme and will not be out of place as much.

I'm not a "gosh darn...next year will be better" every year type of guy, as I predicted this would be a tough year. But what I said does make sense, right?
Depends on if Bielema is gone.

Jek Tono Porkins

Are those developments going to help the 2nd half/4th quarter meltdown that we've witnessed over Bielema's tenure? That's the only question. If these Bielema-coached teams could somehow score in the 4th quarter while stopping the opposing offense in the 4th quarter his record would be fantastic. Every close loss Arkansas has had in the Bielema tenure has been due to 2nd half/4th quarter meltdowns and the inability to make field goals.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 10:33:08 pm
yep, makes sense

we need to ditch some assistant coaches, but overall, yes, you're right
oline coach and whoever is in charge of the not-so-special teams
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

sickboy

It's possible. We get one of the most favorable schedules we've had in years. I think running Kelley like Auburn ran Cam could be very effective.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 24, 2017, 10:37:33 pm
Are those developments going to help the 2nd half/4th quarter meltdown that we've witnessed over Bielema's tenure? That's the only question. If these Bielema-coached teams could somehow score in the 4th quarter while stopping the opposing offense in the 4th quarter his record would be fantastic. Every close loss Arkansas has had in the Bielema tenure has been due to 2nd half/4th quarter meltdowns and the inability to make field goals.

I think so. Why? Because of what Kelley will be able to add to the offense. How many times have we been unable to punch it in at the 1 yr line? Fail on 4th and 1? I really do think he's the type of QB that CBB HAS to have to be successful. I know it seems that CBB has failed, but I really do want to see what CBB can do with the right QB for his system.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

1highhog

Tell me, who's this duel threat QB you're referring to?

Tarheelhawg

I can see your logic, but will Bielema somehow be able to improvise in a critical game situation to win.  Next year could be better for alot of reasons, but will Bielema be better? With all due respect, who will he out coach in the SEC?  What will be the issue next year that was unexpected and holds the team back?  I will support the Razorbacks regardless. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: 1highhog on September 24, 2017, 10:46:02 pm

The only QB you saw with designed runs last game.

sickboy

Quote from: 1highhog on September 24, 2017, 10:46:02 pm

Cole Kelley.

PorkSoda

...that next year REALLY is the year?
the year for what?  the year we fire bret?

its possible, especially if we don't make a bowl for the second year in a row.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 24, 2017, 10:50:38 pm
the year for what?  the year we fire bret?

its possible, especially if we don't make a bowl for the second year in a row.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

OKCHogFan

It doesn't look like Austin is having fun.  He is frustrated.  It seems there is a lack of communication or trust
with him and the coaches. 

1highhog

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on September 24, 2017, 10:47:00 pm
I can see your logic, but will Bielema somehow be able to improvise in a critical game situation to win.  Next year could be better for alot of reasons, but will Bielema be better? With all due respect, who will he out coach in the SEC?  What will be the issue next year that was unexpected and holds the team back?  I will support the Razorbacks regardless. 

I know for one thing, the ags will beat us again next year, with all those freshmen they played  yesterday against us they will be even better and I don't see us being much better if any at all.

ShadowHawg

Kelly can't play a full game of rop. He is too slow and too big. He would be so gassed by 4th quarter.

SEC coordinators are praying Enos is as crazy as some of y'all are.

1highhog

Quote from: sickboy on September 24, 2017, 10:48:16 pm
Cole Kelley.

Roflmao.  Man, Cole is no duel threat QB, he can pick us up a yard or so in certain cases like yesterday but he's no runner for sure.  If he played every down now even as big as he is our Oline will get him killed.

sickboy

Quote from: 1highhog on September 24, 2017, 11:06:09 pm
Roflmao.  Man, Cole is no duel threat QB, he can pick us up a yard or so in certain cases like yesterday but he's no runner for sure.  If he played every down now even as big as he is our Oline will get him killed.

Ok.

1highhog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on September 24, 2017, 10:47:35 pm

You guys are smoking Crack.  No way in heck can Cole do anything more than just what little designed runs you saw him do yesterday.  Duel threat QB, lol.

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: 1highhog on September 24, 2017, 11:02:16 pm
I know for one thing, the ags will beat us again next year, with all those freshmen they played  yesterday against us they will be even better and I don't see us being much better if any at all.
Agree, a change has to be made to give us an edge.  Bielema has not given us an edge. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: 1highhog on September 24, 2017, 11:09:36 pm
You guys are smoking Crack.  No way in heck can Cole do anything more than just what little designed runs you saw him do yesterday.  Duel threat QB, lol.

I'm not a knowledgeable X's/O's guy, but the options he gives us in the red zone IMO could completely change BB's offensive woes and be game-changers.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hoglady

We lose 3 key offensive players in Ragnow, David Williams and Allen.
Until the Oline is fixed no QB is going to look good.
Ragnow will be hard to replace - the Oline probably takes a step back next year, if that's even possible.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ShadowHawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 24, 2017, 11:26:08 pm
I'm not a knowledgeable X's/O's guy, but the options he gives us in the red zone IMO could completely change BB's offensive woes and be game-changers.

As a special package but not for the entire length of the field, all game, and all season long like some of these folks are suggesting for next season.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

If fatty is still around after the season he needs to write a blank check to get Bob Bostad back.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

rude1

^^This. Let's slow our roll on this dual threat QB thingy. Let's try and get the perspective that he was effective in those short yardage situation might have a lot to do with it being a new wrinkle that aTm hadn't seen before, there's film now, so as we move forward with the season, the element of surprise is going to be gone. Cole is a big target and runs straight up, SEC D coordinators are going to start taking their shots on him if we make this part of the every game package.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 11:30:36 pm
As a special package but not for the entire length of the field, all game, and all season long like some of these folks are suggesting for next season.

No, of course not.  However, I don't think we need that if our RBs continue to develop and some O-linemen step up.  But when we need a couple of yards North/South he can do it.  Don't forget we have an awesome group of TE's.  If CK can become a reliable starting SEC pocket passer, look out.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

bigdogbitting

I agree, next year shows more potential than this year. All the players get a psychological pick up when Kelly steps into the huddle. That and a sorely needed offensive line coach could turn a 5-6 season to 8-4 with minimal stress. Bottom line is O line coach is not getting it done and the entire offense shows it. Could come down to BB being forced to fire his buddy to save his job and getting someone who can coach o linemen.

Pork Twain

Is a duel threat qb one that challenges other qbs to a gunfight?

Here is to improving this year and building on it for next year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

It's possible, but it's not only about our team. You have to look at the other teams as well. With the schedule gifted by the Wolverines the path to 8 wins is a little smoother.

hehawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on September 24, 2017, 10:47:35 pm

The one who moved like cold tar in the pocket?
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

Porkchop#1

Interesting line of thought.  Not looking like it's gonna be this year, and it sure wasn't last year.

If it's not next year, then the year after for sure!

hogfanincajunland

"which many have asked why we don't go with a dual threat QB in the first place)."

Because they couldn't find any dual threat QB's with last name of Allen.

1highhog

Quote from: sickboy on September 24, 2017, 10:41:52 pm
It's possible. We get one of the most favorable schedules we've had in years. I think running Kelley like Auburn ran Cam could be very effective.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.  I really like Cole, his size allows him to see over the tall Oline, he's also good in the few packages we seen with him picking up key 1st downs in "short" yardage situations.  Auburn ran Cam out of the Wildcat formation, with him running for vast chunks of yardage because Cam can actually run and run pretty fast, Cole is slow of foot, maybe faster than Mallett that I do not know, but he be slow, and right now if he was our full time starter as slow as he is this Olines would get him killed with the likes of Alabama and Auburn and LSU still to play.

1highhog

Quote from: rude1 on September 24, 2017, 11:40:12 pm
^^This. Let's slow our roll on this dual threat QB thingy. Let's try and get the perspective that he was effective in those short yardage situation might have a lot to do with it being a new wrinkle that aTm hadn't seen before, there's film now, so as we move forward with the season, the element of surprise is going to be gone. Cole is a big target and runs straight up, SEC D coordinators are going to start taking their shots on him if we make this part of the every game package.

Finally, someone with reasonable sense on this duel QB thing. 

HoggyCat

Houston Nutt all over again.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I'd just like to make an announcement:

The word you all are trying to use is "dual."

Get it right it or I'm challenging you all to a "duel."
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

lahawg1

No

Not with our current staff in place and there are no miracle workers for our O line. We are that bad

Quote from: The Chief on September 25, 2017, 07:35:30 am
I'd just like to make an announcement:

The word you all are trying to use is "dual."

Get it right it or I'm challenging you all to a "duel."

I always assumed that was one of the Hogville "freebies" we looked past...but now I agree...that should be the price for both the offender and he who dares point it out!

However, with these there's always the possibility of spelling it wrong for "affect"(another which drives me nutts).

NorthDallas40

What rose colored Hog fans always forget is that every SEC team can say the same thing. This time next year, you will be saying that next year is the year because It will be Kelly's second full year.

Fan1958

If he were, wonder what would be his weapon of choice?
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

EastexHawg

Going into this season it was obvious the excuse was going to be that all the receivers graduated.  Next year the excuse will be that we are breaking in a new starting quarterback.

Meanwhile, the defense still couldn't stop the Golden Girls from putting up 38 points.

WoePigSooie

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on September 24, 2017, 11:17:24 pm
Agree, a change has to be made to give us an edge.  Bielema has not given us an edge.

Technically Bielema has given us 5 edges.  The are on posters around the athletic offices.

Hawgphat

Is it possible for a 300 pound gal in a bikini to win the "Miss America" title?            No.

Is it possible for the Hogs team we've seen perform last year and thus far this year reverse course and overcome?         No.

jcbville

Cole Kelley is not a dual threat QB. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he is. He can pick up some short yardage because of his size but that's as far as it goes. If you think he's a runner outside of that you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Quote from: jcbville on September 25, 2017, 11:10:03 pm
Cole Kelley is not a dual threat QB. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he is. He can pick up some short yardage because of his size but that's as far as it goes. If you think he's a runner outside of that you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Where are people saying this?  He's a threat to run in the red zone and short yardage...but that's pretty huge with what we've had in the past. 

Who all is saying this without meaning what I said above?

Malvin

leroyhawg

Oline is good, hang in there with Bret another couple years with Kelley, add some Rbs, we lack a QB and running game, if after Kelley gives it a try and fails, say bye to Bret, give him 2 more years!
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

OKCHogFan

Quote from: hoglady on September 24, 2017, 11:28:57 pm
We lose 3 key offensive players in Ragnow, David Williams and Allen.
Until the Oline is fixed no QB is going to look good.
Ragnow will be hard to replace - the Oline probably takes a step back next year, if that's even possible.
It can take 4 or 5 games to jell an O Line... good thing NM State is next!

Uberanubis

nope, still wont have an oline at this point, and nothing i have seen so far has said it will be different next year. we fire our line coach and get some one good, then maybe.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

HeathWimp

September 26, 2017, 09:53:41 am #49 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:03:48 am by HeathWimp
In addition to the ginormous buyout, the "favorable schedule" is going to get a lot of play.  I fully expect Bert to be here for the 2018 season, and he will probably win just enough games to get an extension.  If he goes 7-6 this year, and 8-5 next year, his overall record will be above 0.500, and Long will call that "progress."
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"