Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only way to improve is replace some assistants and Recruit better

Started by Lanny, September 24, 2017, 07:34:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphish

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2017, 12:47:08 pm
This is the very reason you need a coach who can do more with less because he's going to have less.  Petrino is one of those guys and so is Patterson but Bielema is not.
true.  We know now that it can be done here.  With all the Petrino mess, he did teach us that.

elksnort

The only thing in southern Missouri are retirees, washed up country and western singers and meth heads.

It's always worth trying to recruit in Florida.

East Clintwood

I don't think replacing some of the assistants will do much good as long as the head coach remains the same.  The mess will continue just with new faces.

Recruiting will likely remain at the present levels or decline because of our record after 4 year of CBB shows that we're not good and will not be good as long a CBB remains the HC.  Also, anyone outside of our program looking at our situation knows that CBB will not be here long so if a recruit wants to play here they must be willing to sign up not knowing who their head coach will be.

CBB must go.  There is no other way to get us out of this mess.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

RebelliousHog

When you think about it, Arkansas has always been lower in overall talent, going back to the SWC days. We don't have the High School base in Arkansas. Having said that, we have won A LOT with less talent.

It's been with hustle, aggression and out playing better talent. JFB did it, Hatfield did it, Petrino did it (not counting Mallet and the receivers. And out of those receivers, only one has been a consistent NFL player. )  Hell, NUTT did it. He just didn't do it enough.

Arkansas mantra has ALWAYS been "We do more with less".
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

elksnort

The University of Arkansas most certainly needs a very very fine football coach one that gets out of the players the most that can be.

Bacons Rebellion

It's gonna be hard to recruit when you can't answer the main question the recruits are going to ask. "Who is our head coach going to be after the buyout falls?"

Dark Helmet Hog

The key to success at Arkansas has been and always will be getting the best in state kids every year then go into Texas hard. Same formula for OU. It works.

IronHog

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 12:56:07 pm
discussion about longterm philosophy for the program is great

I just wish one other person on this thread would admit that basic linebacker reads cost us that game yesterday

Not lack of talent at LB. Not scheme.

Bad reads from LB's.
All day.
Lack of coaching at those positions.
Terminable offenses.

Recruiting services draw fans into the recruiting game topics to make money off them. That's not pertinent to what happened yesterday.

LB is kinda like RB in that filling the hole is often as much instinct as a coachable skill........

Greenlaw is an athletic guy that makes lots of tackles but he ain't gonna come up and stone people very often....teams run right at him
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogs-n-Roses

If you think the recruits out there for this next couple of years can't sense whats going on in Fayetteville then your kidding yourself. They are aware thru social media, message boards, their coaches, parents.... that we're a sunken(not sinking) ship. These coaches lost this team last year and this year also. There is fighting/dissention among the players, some of the players are saying thru social media how they know bout the fans dissatisfaction. And the fans have every right to voice their disappointments. Recruiting is the answer but this bunch of coaches have not been getting it done and will not right that ship. They're recruiting to their system and the system is a failure.

ND

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 24, 2017, 12:40:12 pm
sorry to sound nitpicky, but you couldn't be more wrong with this binary description.

the cat with the pocket is the decision maker all the way through the process. it is a king-maker dynamic.

Okay.

N

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 24, 2017, 07:43:00 am
Memphis is a basketball city.

Tiger High beat UCLA that came back and beat TAMU!
There are plenty of football players in the Memphis metro area!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgtime

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2017, 10:12:04 am
they are there but are young . Hayden , T.j and J.j all have the speed as does warren and Barnes but all are young and learning. On defense we are sitting some very talented but inexperienced kids

my observation is that our younger kids show talent year and and year out, but then bust as sophs and juniors and then get replaced by super freshman and the cycle begins again.  most players aren't showing improvement. the RBs and WRs and LBS get slower and the Lines gets bigger.  something isn't right!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 07:34:52 am
Recruiting has been horrendous.  Arkansas has not had a defense the past ten years under any coach.  There are no playmakers on defense and few on offense.  The only way to get out of this mess is to recruit better.  Stop wasting time in Florida, recruit North Louisiana, Southern Missouri and Texas.  Forget about firing Bielema with that buyout it won't happen.

Recruit Recruit Recruit.

Defensive playmakers....Agim, Greenlaw, Ramirez, Ramsey...Curl is gonna be one. When you don't bring pressure but 3, playmakers don't playmake. Play calls are horrendous.

The players are being jipped...as in ripped off.

PRJ

DeltaBoy

From Facebook

To anyone still using roster as an excuse from the Petrino days...

Petrino played 31 true freshmen his first two seasons at Arkansas.  He went 21-5 his third and fourth season while being ranked 30 consecutive weeks.  James Franklin had 65 scholarship players when he arrived at Penn State and had a two year bowl ban.  His second year he only had 75 scholarship players.  His third year he won ten games, four weeks into his fourth season he is ranked fourth in the country.

No reason to use the roster, or lack there of, as an excuse during a coach's fifth season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

alohawg

We've had some players on defense, just ask the Patriots. Unfortunately, not enough at any given time.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 12:56:07 pm
discussion about longterm philosophy for the program is great

I just wish one other person on this thread would admit that basic linebacker reads cost us that game yesterday

Not lack of talent at LB. Not scheme.

Bad reads from LB's.
All day.
Lack of coaching at those positions.
Terminable offenses.

Recruiting services draw fans into the recruiting game topics to make money off them. That's not pertinent to what happened yesterday.

i'm agreeing with you, but taking your word for it. on defense, i was focusing on the front line:)
The rest of the frog.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 24, 2017, 09:49:06 am
And Oklahoma. You are right about recruiting being the main problem. You can say you will correct all of these errors and problems in practice after every week's debacle, but you still have same quality level of players, the same deficiencies at various positions and you are practicing/scrimmaging against same quality level of players. They practice well against themselves and wonder why they do not do well in games. I can clue them in: We do not have anyone like Christian Kirk to practice against. We do not have a D line like A&M has to practice against. Of course we practice well against C grade players.

Find a recruiter who can invade Texas and we'll get better almost overnight.

I agree with a lot of this.

But, few teams have a Christian Kirk to go against in practice. He is rare.

Second, I think last year's recruiting and the recruiting so far this year have recalibrated the typical UA recruiting practices under CBB. The problem is two-fold. First, it takes time to get them where they can help the program. Second, a bad year and rumors of the coach leaving will not help us finish recruiting this year.

If you'll consider a third problem, we have few spots in the 2018 class and are not able to take as many options. We have to have an extremely high "hit rate" to have 2018's class help CBB, given the shorter leash he is experiencing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 24, 2017, 02:47:11 pm
I agree with a lot of this.

But, few teams have a Christian Kirk to go against in practice. He is rare.

Second, I think last year's recruiting and the recruiting so far this year have recalibrated the typical UA recruiting practices under CBB. The problem is two-fold. First, it takes time to get them where they can help the program. Second, a bad year and rumors of the coach leaving will not help us finish recruiting this year.

If you'll consider a third problem, we have few spots in the 2018 class and are not able to take as many options. We have to have an extremely high "hit rate" to have 2018's class help CBB, given the shorter leash he is experiencing.

Of course talks of coaching changes hurts recruiting. But so does losing 10 of 20-something conference games.

You describe what's known as a "self-licking-ice-cream-cone." It only exists to please itself, without regard to any outside influence, until it disappears. Bret is a self licking ice cream cone.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 24, 2017, 12:58:55 pm
The key to success at Arkansas has been and always will be getting the best in state kids every year then go into Texas hard. Same formula for OU. It works.

This is how OU has done it for years.  They cherry pick the talent in OK, load up in TX (I quit counting at 30) and then go coast to coast for special talent. I looked at their rooster a minute ago and they have half a dozen players from CA, some from OH, NC, LA, VA, FL, etc.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

IronHog

Quote from: hawgtime on September 24, 2017, 02:14:08 pm
my observation is that our younger kids show talent year and and year out, but then bust as sophs and juniors and then get replaced by super freshman and the cycle begins again.  most players aren't showing improvement. the RBs and WRs and LBS get slower and the Lines gets bigger.  something isn't right!

Starts with S&C

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 24, 2017, 12:58:55 pm

The kids coming out of Texas (or most anywhere in the southern US) don't fit what CBB says he's trying to run here.  They are almost all coming from spread type offenses and haven't been taught how to block (or tackle for that matter) for a slow down power running play-action offense.

With the current NCAA practice restrictions there isn't enough time to teach them the basics and also cover all of the normal practice items.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

savimbi2002