Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lazy man's brisket and pork shoulder.

Started by Jdub, December 21, 2017, 03:28:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdub

So I have been smoking for a few years now.  I don't have a real smoker just a Weber smokey mountain, which I really like.

After doing the late night 12-14 hour smokes for briskets and pork shoulders, I decided to smoke them for 6-7 hours, double wrap them in redneck Xmas paper and put in fridge for next day.

Next day comes, take them out, stick maverick temp probe in them and stick in oven till they get to 200 - 205 degrees.  Have to say they are not too bad, course you don't have the pink ring but you still get the char on the outside and I don't have to lose sleep.

Anybody else to it this way? 
Would love to hear how you guys do your briskets and pork.

nwahogs

do it all the time. smoke for several hours and finish in oven overnight for lunch the next day. I've never refrigerated without completely finishing it though

ImHogginIt

December 24, 2017, 03:52:44 pm #2 Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:05:18 pm by ImHogginIt
Quote from: Jdub on December 21, 2017, 03:28:25 pm
So I have been smoking for a few years now.  I don't have a real smoker just a Weber smokey mountain, which I really like.

After doing the late night 12-14 hour smokes for briskets and pork shoulders, I decided to smoke them for 6-7 hours, double wrap them in redneck Xmas paper and put in fridge for next day.

Next day comes, take them out, stick maverick temp probe in them and stick in oven till they get to 200 - 205 degrees.  Have to say they are not too bad, course you don't have the pink ring but you still get the char on the outside and I don't have to lose sleep.

Anybody else to it this way? 
Would love to hear how you guys do your briskets and pork.

A Weber Smokey Mountain is a real smoker !!!    :D ;D :D

I buy my pork butts from Sam's. The ones where 2 come in a package and each butt is about 7 1/2 lbs each. I'll get three packs for 6 butts total and put them on my Weber Smokey Mountain at 275-300 degrees for 7 to 8 hrs until they are 200 degrees. I can't tell one bit of difference cooking them this way as opposed to 225 degrees for 12 hours.

I slather them with mustard and Plowboys rub. I also never inject as I really can't tell any difference when I do. I wish I had the 22 inch WSM instead of the 18. Makes it tight getting three on top and bottom racks

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

I've finished up in the oven several times when I ran out of gas or weather got the smoker on the fritz. Could just be that I know but it never seems quite as good to me. I've stopped smoking partly because I'm never home and partly because I got sick of cheap drafty smokers and won't spend the jack for a good one. I got a cheap "egg" and haven't figured it out yet(firt and only brisket on it chugged along at 275 for four hours and then I went to sleep and woke up to it pounding out 450*)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 11, 2018, 01:20:52 pm
I've finished up in the oven several times when I ran out of gas or weather got the smoker on the fritz. Could just be that I know but it never seems quite as good to me. I've stopped smoking partly because I'm never home and partly because I got sick of cheap drafty smokers and won't spend the jack for a good one. I got a cheap "egg" and haven't figured it out yet(firt and only brisket on it chugged along at 275 for four hours and then I went to sleep and woke up to it pounding out 450*)

OUCH!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DZ

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 12, 2018, 11:40:57 am
OUCH!!
I got the Vision grill, knockoff egg, works exactly the same as BGE 1/2 the price. I only do overnight smokes for brisket or butts. Once you figure out where to set the dampers it'll hold 225 for 16+ hours. set desired temp alarm on the t-stat and go to bed.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DZ on January 12, 2018, 03:43:47 pm
I got the Vision grill, knockoff egg, works exactly the same as BGE 1/2 the price. I only do overnight smokes for brisket or butts. Once you figure out where to set the dampers it'll hold 225 for 16+ hours. set desired temp alarm on the t-stat and go to bed.

Thanks for this info.