Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soccer signing class

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 07, 2018, 06:34:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Today, hidden behind all the understandable hoopla for Football Signing Day (and Coach Morris's 1st NSD on The Hill), women's soccer announced its signing class. There is clearly an emphasis on the defensive side of the team (which is good - the weakness of last year's squad was in the back). I'm not sure the class is up to the level of last year's in terms of national recruits, but tbh, we may never have another signing class as good as last year's (which was amazing).

Here's the release: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorback-soccer-adds-10-on-national-signing-day/

There are a couple regionally ranked kids, which is good. But this class looks more like a depth-filling class than a group of stars -- which may be just what this team needs. I'm curious to see what the Canadian player, Riggan, can do. She is supposed to be a serious speed merchant. If she has any kind of ball skills or technical ability to go with that speed, she could really have an impact in Coach Hale's system (which is much more of a grinding, direct, and aggressive system than the "beautiful game," possession style that some of the other good teams in the SEC play).

Welcome aboard, ladies! WPS!

psycHOGlogist

We have also signed two transfers, both defenders. One, Madison Louk, comes from a pretty bad Miami team (it seems as though Louk played a lot as a freshman, and less as a sophomore). Miami actually had a pretty good season when she was playing as a Fr, and a bad one last year when she wasn't playing. Miami apparently changed coaches after last season (no coach is currently listed on their website).

The other transfer, Marissa Kinsey, is from a good Baylor team that went 15-6-3 last year, beating both #9 USC-w and Notre Dame in the NCAA's before losing to Duke in the quarterfinals. She didn't play much as a freshman, but saw action in 8 games (with one start) last year as a sophomore. She is tall (5'10"), which is nice. If she's good in the air, she will be a good fit for the team's style and emphasis on converting set play chances.

We did lose a handful of players from last year's team for reasons other than completing their eligibility.

D Elizabeth "Betty" Poblete had an injury-plagued career and I suspect either graduated early or is a medical retirement. She was listed as a RS So last year.

Rising soph MF Ansley Bunger played in four games and had two assists last year (both in the blowout win over Mississippi Valley St), and she has transferred to UNT (who has a pretty decent team).

Rising soph F Allie Dunn has also transferred. She saw action in 6 games, with 2 goals (one each against Abilene Christian and MS Valley St) and 1 assist. According to her twitter page, she has moved on to Lipscomb, who is one of the stronger A Sun teams but not a strong program on a national level.

Also, F Makayle Traxson is no longer listed on the roster. It doesn't look like she got any playing time last year (her first in the program).

The other players no longer on the roster but who had some remaining eligibility (all listed as RS Jrs last year) I believe all graduated: Q'yara Winston, Jordan Harris, and Reid Sibley.

I would expect the coming season to be a step forward for the program. We did lose Hartzler (a big loss), Kienstra, and the older Neece sister (who was injured a lot of last year), but if we can shore up the defense, we have a prodigious amount of offensive firepower returning in Goins, Malham, Perez, McKeon, Doyle, and Christopherson. If Hoke can return to form after her injury, and Van Fossen can build on her strong Fr season, there is also some talent on D. Among the likely starters, only Hoke and Christopherson are Sr's, so there is a very strong foundation for a good run of a couple years or more here. WPS!

flippinhogmana

I also saw that about the overall team age looking at their roster, four goal keepers with the new one, those are kind of like quarterbacks in a way, you need some backups, but its usually just one that gets to play (although we did use two last year).  I know the players more from the BA/Tulsa area and that played last year.  I do expect that if the new players fit in and fill pieces it looks like were are set for a couple of years plus.  Thanks for the report.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

TennesseeRaz

February 08, 2018, 10:13:31 am #3 Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:54:00 am by TennesseeRaz
Ok, Hogville, I'll be too far away to cheer in person for my daughter.  You'll need to pick up the slack for me.

NoogaHog

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 08, 2018, 10:13:31 am
Ok, Hogville, I'll be too far away to cheer in person for my daughter (https://twitter.com/RazorbackSoccer/status/961270200036352000  ).  You'll need to pick up the slack for me.

Congrats, I'm sure you are proud. I'm here in the Chattanooga area, too. I'm sure our daughters have crossed paths. She is playing at Bryan College.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 08, 2018, 12:45:00 pm
Congrats, I'm sure you are proud. I'm here in the Chattanooga area, too. I'm sure our daughters have crossed paths. She is playing at Bryan College.

I'm sure they have!  I teach at Bryan, and i have two sons that play on the men's team at Bryan.

NoogaHog

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 08, 2018, 12:55:18 pm
I'm sure they have!  I teach at Bryan, and i have two sons that play on the men's team at Bryan.

Small World
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 08, 2018, 10:13:31 am
Ok, Hogville, I'll be too far away to cheer in person for my daughter (https://twitter.com/RazorbackSoccer/status/961270200036352000  ).  You'll need to pick up the slack for me.

Awesome! Congrats to you and your daughter!!!