Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congrats to Mike

Started by uncle bubs, February 23, 2016, 10:19:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle bubs

Congrats to Mike for his 100th win tonight. Here's to 100 more!
God bless the Boston Mountains.

HognitiveDissonance

Very nice game by the Hogs.
I actually thought we would win all three home games(Aub/Mizz/LSU), so not surprised by beating LS-who. The margin of victory is high, yes. But Tenn thumped them Saturday 81-65 and now we thump them 85-65. No shocker.
We just had a terrible letdown against Auburn.

hhicNaychaBoi

Congrats to MA...I see the foundation being set here.  100 wins in 5 years yet his detractors want him gone. He isn't on the hot seat at all and anyone who is basketball savy can see that he has done more with less this season. Next season he should have more returning components than he has had his entire tenure at Arkansas and with the juco all Americans coming I think we should win anywhere from 20 to 25 games next year. These next few years should be fun to watch.

Hogsolo

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on February 23, 2016, 11:47:49 pm
Congrats to MA...I see the foundation being set here.  100 wins in 5 years yet his detractors want him gone. He isn't on the hot seat at all and anyone who is basketball savy can see that he has done more with less this season. Next season he should have more returning components than he has had his entire tenure at Arkansas and with the juco all Americans coming I think we should win anywhere from 20 to 25 games next year. These next few years should be fun to watch.

Nice to see some cooler heads and wisdom on the board.

intelligence

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on February 23, 2016, 11:47:49 pm

I agree with the sentiment, but in regards to your last two sentences i see reason for concern on both points. It's not a given that next season's team will give us 20 to 25 W's. Arlando Cook is a plug and play rebounder who can give you alot of effort on the boards and play solid defense. he's not going to be asked to score alot, though he can give you offense in the paint due to his rebounding skills. On the otherhand, macon and barford are both used to being the goto guy on their respective teams, so it will be interesting how they react to playing in an offense where they will be asked to take less shots and make most of them. if they turn out to be streaky, volume shooters we're not going to be very good. we lose hannah and kingsley for 2017, and there is an outside possiblity that barford and/or macon could leave for the NBA as well, so 2017 and beyond should certainly be seen as unknown. if bailey and jones turn out to be steals then yes, we might survive those personnel losses, but its hardly a done deal.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: intelligence on February 24, 2016, 02:55:04 am
we lose hannah and kingsley for 2017, and there is an outside possiblity that barford and/or macon could leave for the NBA as well, so 2017 and beyond should certainly be seen as unknown. if bailey and jones turn out to be steals then yes, we might survive those personnel losses, but its hardly a done deal.
But Mike has proven this year he does such a good job replacing talent when they leave
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

SuperSid4Ever

Despite all the Negative Nellies on here, congrats on the 100th win, Mike!!

Sooie71923

Alright Coach MA!  keep on keeping on!  I BELIEVE! 

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: intelligence on February 24, 2016, 02:55:04 am
I agree with the sentiment, but in regards to your last two sentences i see reason for concern on both points. It's not a given that next season's team will give us 20 to 25 W's. Arlando Cook is a plug and play rebounder who can give you alot of effort on the boards and play solid defense. he's not going to be asked to score alot, though he can give you offense in the paint due to his rebounding skills. On the otherhand, macon and barford are both used to being the goto guy on their respective teams, so it will be interesting how they react to playing in an offense where they will be asked to take less shots and make most of them. if they turn out to be streaky, volume shooters we're not going to be very good. we lose hannah and kingsley for 2017, and there is an outside possiblity that barford and/or macon could leave for the NBA as well, so 2017 and beyond should certainly be seen as unknown. if bailey and jones turn out to be steals then yes, we might survive those personnel losses, but its hardly a done deal.
In every stat line that I've seen for Barford he had at least 30 points. With his ability to score I think that should translate into at 15 at the d1 level. I also believe he will be a better defender than Bell ever was. Macon is also a pretty good shooter and with Jimmy Whitt's improvement I wonder if there will be enough balls to go around for him Kingsley, Barford, and Hannahs. I'm not sure how Bailey will contribute but he should be an upgrade over Willie easily. Next year's team will have a lot of depth and experience. They should be at least a top 3 team in conference.

intelligence

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on February 24, 2016, 09:45:48 am
In every stat line that I've seen for Barford he had at least 30 points. With his ability to score I think that should translate into at 15 at the d1 level. I also believe he will be a better defender than Bell ever was. Macon is also a pretty good shooter and with Jimmy Whitt's improvement I wonder if there will be enough balls to go around for him Kingsley, Barford, and Hannahs. I'm not sure how Bailey will contribute but he should be an upgrade over Willie easily. Next year's team will have a lot of depth and experience. They should be at least a top 3 team in conference.
any guess on what the lineup would be?

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: intelligence on February 24, 2016, 09:51:48 am
Barford, Hannah's, Whitt/Macon, Thompson, Kingsley.... Beard, Watkins, and Thomas will most likely be the first off the bench.

hogsanity

anytime you reach a wins milestone ending in 00 it is something to be appreciated. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hhicNaychaBoi

Exactly and he has ana 86 win % at home

poloprince

20 wins per season average, that's better than the previous two coaches.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

Uncommon

I remember being at Bud Walton for his 1st win against South Carolina Upstate.  Lot of hope back then and there still is some now.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: poloprince on February 24, 2016, 10:20:44 am
20 wins per season average, that's better than the previous two coaches.  :razorback:

uh oh. bout to be a sheet storm.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

F - Kingsley/Thompson
F - Thomas/Cook/Bailey
G - Whitt/Watkins/Jenkins
G - Hannahs/Macon/Jones
G - Barford/Beard

Barford is an SEC-level athlete. That's a big deal. That overcomes a lot of the usual JUCO transition you see. Macon is a knock-down shooter. That also translates easily. Cook, I'm not sure on him. He could need some adjustment time. But Barford especially, I think will take to it easily with his physical gifts and skillset. There will be a lot of spacing in that starting lineup I posted, and Moses will be allowed to run wild as a result.

The_Iceman

My guess:

Barford / Beard
Hannahs / Macon / Jones
Whitt / Watkins / Jenkins
Cook / Thomas / Bailey
Kingsley / Thompson

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 24, 2016, 10:27:17 am
F - Kingsley/Thompson
F - Thomas/Cook/Bailey
G - Whitt/Watkins/Jenkins
G - Hannahs/Macon/Jones
G - Barford/Beard

Barford is an SEC-level athlete. That's a big deal. That overcomes a lot of the usual JUCO transition you see. Macon is a knock-down shooter. That also translates easily. Cook, I'm not sure on him. He could need some adjustment time. But Barford especially, I think will take to it easily with his physical gifts and skillset. There will be a lot of spacing in that starting lineup I posted, and Moses will be allowed to run wild as a result.
I think all 3 juco's are good enough to start

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on February 24, 2016, 10:12:01 am
anytime you reach a wins milestone ending in 00 it is something to be appreciated.

Unless those are the only two numbers, which is the case in my basketball coaching career (0-1)

bvillepig

It was also his 300th overall in 14 seasons.

Congratulations

jackflash

Mike has more wins this year than I figured he would

uncle bubs

I like this thread. Positive folks. It's all gonna be ok.

intelligence

Quote from: uncle bubs on February 24, 2016, 08:00:07 pm
I like this thread. Positive folks. It's all gonna be ok.
Yep. there is enough evidence of his ability for us to still have hope. this season was pretty dismal and should not have happened,but if im honest i would want a second chance if it happened to me. literally everything that could have went wrong did and sometimes these things just happen to the best of people. I think given enough time and patience from the fanbase, mike can right our course. he's already averaged 20 wins in his 1st 5 years, which is a great step in the right direction. the program overall just needs stability, and even if he doesn't take us to another NC, atleast he stabilized the program and returned us to a winning program. i still think there is a good chance he can take us to several deep tourney runs. we just got to be patient while he establishes our brand and identity.

pigmailyen

Quote from: poloprince on February 24, 2016, 10:20:44 am

Which seasons other than last year did we win 20 games?
Averages count in tiddlywinks.

HoopS

Quote from: pigmailyen on February 25, 2016, 08:35:41 am
Which seasons other than last year did we win 20 games?
Averages count in tiddlywinks.
UAB
'03 - 21
'04 - 22
'05 - 22
'06 - 24

Missouri
'09 - 31
'10 - 23
'11 - 23

Arkansas
'14 - 22
'15 - 27

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: HoopS on February 25, 2016, 08:44:04 am
UAB
'03 - 21
'04 - 22
'05 - 22
'06 - 24

Missouri
'09 - 31
'10 - 23
'11 - 23

Arkansas
'14 - 22
'15 - 27

Previous years don't count.  Future years don't count.  Only this season counts unless we're doing well, then only the seasons where we didn't do well count.

DeltaBoy

Congrats to Mike Anderson.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cardsNhogs

I think Dusty will come off the bench next year.

Barford
Macon
Whitt
Cook
Kingley

The_Iceman

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 25, 2016, 09:05:24 am

Barford
Macon
Whitt
Cook
Kingley

So Daryl Macon is going to come in and send a 16ppg scorer and 44% 3-pt shooter to the bench? Don't think so.

HoopS

I don't see that either. My guess:

Barford
Hannahs
Whitt
Thomas
Kingsley

Beard
Macon
Watkins
Cook
Thompson

Extra G/F
Jenkins
Jones (RS possibly)

Extra Big
Bailey

cardsNhogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 25, 2016, 09:14:20 am
So Daryl Macon is going to come in and send a 16ppg scorer and 44% 3-pt shooter to the bench? Don't think so.
I could see it happening. Mike likes bringing scorers off the bench. He did it with BJ Young and last year with Qualls at times.

hogwood

C Kingsley 17 ppg
PF Cook 7
CG Barford 13
SG Hannahs 16
PG Beard 8

C Thompson 6
SF Thomas 6
CG Whitt 9
SG Macon 8
CG Watkins 5
SF Bailey 3
SG Jones 2
SF Jenkins 2

pigmailyen

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 25, 2016, 08:49:32 am
Previous years don't count.  Future years don't count.  Only this season counts unless we're doing well, then only the seasons where we didn't do well count.

Exactly.  I see what you did there.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on February 25, 2016, 11:36:44 am
C Kingsley 17 ppg
PF Cook 7
CG Barford 13
SG Hannahs 16
PG Beard 8

C Thompson 6
SF Thomas 6
CG Whitt 9
SG Macon 8
CG Watkins 5
SF Bailey 3
SG Jones 2
SF Jenkins 2

We're gonna average 102 points per game?

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 25, 2016, 08:49:32 am

LOL!!  Ain't it the truth??

wheelspigharvey

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 25, 2016, 12:05:27 pm
LOL!!  Ain't it the truth??

Now I feel I've started something I can't take back.  That is how a few folks around here talk though.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 25, 2016, 11:51:07 am
We're gonna average 102 points per game?

Player averages don't always equate to team averages. Of course I don't think we are going to average 102 ppg. More or less it was just what I thought each player is reasonably capable of averaging next year.

uncle bubs

I really liked how Mike played both Kingsley and Thompson at the same time. That was nasty. Even if Moses doesn't come back, I think next year at least will be a hoot to watch.

intelligence

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 25, 2016, 09:05:24 am

Barford
Macon
Whitt
Cook
Kingley
it's a great problem to have ain't it?