Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New commitment Jones...reminds me of...

Started by WizardofhOgZ, February 21, 2016, 08:21:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Just got a look at his highlight video that is being posted...reminds me of Ky Madden's HS video...nice darn, finisher around the rim, rangy body type that is disruptive on defense....good fit...glad he's ours.

ShadowHawg

Reminds me of a more athletic Scotty Thurman. Long and lanky, can finish with either hand, dunks on break aways but finishes near the rim with jumper/floaters, plays within himself, and has a nice looking rhythm on his shot. Not a creator but can shoot off the pass and in transition very well.

bvillepig

Do you think if he had a promoter from a young age he would be higher rated ?
Athletically he looks like a high star to my untrained eyes.  This kid can play.

As a note I personally don't worry whether a kid only has an offer from UT Chattanooga.  Almost every d1 school in America has at least one or two players who could play for the elite. The problem is depth.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on February 21, 2016, 08:21:12 pm
Just got a look at his highlight video that is being posted...reminds me of Ky Madden's HS video...nice darn, finisher around the rim, rangy body type that is disruptive on defense....good fit...glad he's ours.

Average player who will take a few years to develop but Mike needs this type athlete to be effective in his press. What has taken him so long in recruiting these guys.  But I do wish he was a couple inches taller and a little bit better over all player but it is a start in the right direction.

husker71

klp1

Quote from: husker71 on February 22, 2016, 09:22:15 am
we all wish we were 2 inches taller

He is supposed to be 6'5 now.   I think he'll be a nice addition.  He's got nice looking jumper.

Hawg Red

I'm most interested in this revelation that he could have developed into a knock-down shooter this season. I read (I think on here) that had games of 8 and 10 made 3-pointers. I've seen the highlight tape, so I know he's athletic. But if he's 6'5 now and a knock-down shooter? This could be a great pickup. Also, the fact that the staff wanted to get him on board in February shows that they really think they have something. This isn't a scramble and they didn't slow-play this kid. They targeted him as soon as he decommitted and wrapped him up. I think we're talking about a kid that outgrew his previous offers this season.

k.c.hawg

Body type and fluidness makes me think way back to Roger Crawford.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

1hawgballer2

Just got a look at his highlight video that is being posted...reminds me of Ky Madden's HS video...nice darn, finisher around the rim, rangy body type that is disruptive on defense....good fit...glad he's ours.  Average player who will take a few years to develop but Mike needs this type athlete to be effective in his press. What has taken him so long in recruiting these guys.  But I do wish he was a couple inches taller and a little bit better over all player but it is a start in the right direction.

1hawgballer2

1hawgballer2

Hawgs illustrated list the young man at 6'5 and his coach says he is still growing perhaps another 2". The average 28 pts this season respectable numbers rebound and assists... What else do you want ?

hogwood

Quote from: ricolacey on February 22, 2016, 12:04:50 pm
Hawgs illustrated list the young man at 6'5 and his coach says he is still growing perhaps another 2". The average 28 pts this season respectable numbers rebound and assists... What else do you want ?

A 5-star PF.

The_Iceman

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 22, 2016, 01:23:35 pm
Well, we got a 4-star so we aren't too far off there.

True. Wouldn't mind another one though.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 22, 2016, 09:44:34 am
I'm most interested in this revelation that he could have developed into a knock-down shooter this season. I read (I think on here) that had games of 8 and 10 made 3-pointers. I've seen the highlight tape, so I know he's athletic. But if he's 6'5 now and a knock-down shooter? This could be a great pickup. Also, the fact that the staff wanted to get him on board in February shows that they really think they have something. This isn't a scramble and they didn't slow-play this kid. They targeted him as soon as he decommitted and wrapped him up. I think we're talking about a kid that outgrew his previous offers this season.

He has great form on his shot, from what I can see in the video.  Always tough to go solely on a video, though.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 22, 2016, 09:44:34 am
I believe that game he was 11 for 11 and that included being 8 for 8 from three. Unless he was just having "one of those nights" it is hard to do that even in shoot around.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

PigBrother

Looks like a legit, and long, 6'4".  I'm ready for the 6'10" wingspan story. 

hogwood

If CJ can get to 200 lbs by this fall he could be impactful off the bench when we need him (probably won't that much though).

razorbackfanatic

February 23, 2016, 12:38:04 pm #20 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:04:56 pm by razorbackfanatic
People keep saying why hasn't Mike been recruiting athletic guys like this. He has, did u forget about Qualls, Whitt, Jacorey Williams, Babb, Alandise Harris, Coty Clarke, Jenkins, etc.? Babb transferred, Williams got kicked off, Qualls left a year early. He needs to try to get 2 of these type guys every class and the 2016 class has this and looks very athletic overall.

Right now with Williams getting kicked off, Babb and Qualls leaving the program, we've lost 3 very athletic guys and Jenkins is a project so he isn't helping. And to be honest if Qualls going early wasn't unexpected by this staff we may not have even signed Jenkins. Losing those guys hurts us athletically and Whitt is taking longer to adjust than most(me included) expected.

When we play 3 or 4 guards with only one big like Moses down low and those guards are Beard 6'1", Durham 6'2", Hannahs 6'3" etc. we don't have the athleticsm and length on this current roster to play our style of pressing, disruptive defense very efficiently. U need guys that are athletic with have long wing spans like Whitt, lightning quick athletes like Clint McDaniel, Brandon Dean or 6'4"-6'8" guys like Qualls, Thurman, Crawford, Ali Thompson, Joe Johnson, Day, Brewer, etc. that can defend 1-4 if they have to.

Next years class looks to have addressed this and brought in some shooters like Macon to help replace Bell.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 22, 2016, 01:23:35 pm
Well, we got a 4-star so we aren't too far off there.

Who's a 4*? Cook?

Wait, nevermind, I can already guess that it's a 247 ranking.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: husker71 on February 22, 2016, 09:22:15 am
we all wish we were 2 inches taller

I wish he was an inch shorter and named Malik Monk. But we get what we get

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 23, 2016, 12:58:02 pm
Who's a 4*? Cook?

Wait, nevermind, I can already guess that it's a 247 ranking.

What should I go by then?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 01:54:10 pm
What should I go by then?

Go by what ya like. I'm just not a 247 fan. They hand out *s like modern day Little League baseball hands out participation trophies. They tend to paint the prettiest pictures, so its understandable that most fans will visit their site.

Last year, their top 11 JUCOs were all 4* players. Out of those 11, there are four of them that contribute more than 5 points/game for their respective teams this season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: klp1 on February 22, 2016, 09:37:55 am

He is supposed to be 6'5 now.   I think he'll be a nice addition.  He's got nice looking jumper.

Agreed.  Unlike Whitt, whose jumper needs to have John Henry take a sledgehammer to it, this guy's jumper looks to have pretty good form.

I think Whitt is a very good talent, but his shooting form needs help.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 23, 2016, 02:37:05 pm
Agreed.  Unlike Whitt, whose jumper needs to have John Henry take a sledgehammer to it, this guy's jumper looks to have pretty good form.

I think Whitt is a very good talent, but his shooting form needs help.

If they don't assign to Whitt a shooting coach over the next 9 months to correct that ugly shot of his then they are not doing the kid any favors.  Terrible form.