Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leave Mike as is think about this

Started by Hogsolo, February 20, 2016, 08:06:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

Really we are just one player away this year from being a tourney team.  Seriously think about all those really close games we lost and then add in ONE superstar from our past.   Todd Day, Corliss, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Darrel Walker, Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson.

Just one strong willed superstar leader and this team has six more wins right now, at least.  One superstar and a little more off the bench and you're a sweet sixteen team who is just a couple of lucky breaks away from the final four.

Take the way this team has played add Portis or Qualls and bam, different record all together.   

Yeah, we've had a rotten four game streak, that's where the leader was needed.   This is a really solid college team that is a perimeter scoring team.   They obviously have gotten a little worn down and all those jump shots started front rimmming instead of swishing.   Perimeter teams look REALLY ugly when they aren't dropping across the board.

Now compare that to the fact everyone thought we were a 5 win team this year.  This team has played far better than anyone thought.  Plus the coaching is there, our offense wouldn't have all the assists if coaching wasn't there.

I know no one is going to change their minds because of this post, but just consider being one player away.

Ok with that thought in mind who wants to scrap everything and rebuild with the next Heath or Pelphrey.   

I'm with Mike for at least two more years past this one.  No thought in my mind of changing out coaches until we see how this team incorporates the new talent and you really need two years to judge that.

3kgthog

We've already got a coach with lesser results than Heath, both in recruiting and in making the Big Dance.

HiggiePiggy

This year opened my eyes a lot. His recruiting is terrible. He has next year either NCAA tournament or unemployment line. I really am tired of seeing piss poor play.

I was big for Mike and even big for him this year until the Mississippi State game on the road then what followed after. Way too many roller coasters.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BigHog396

Quote from: IAMHogholio on February 20, 2016, 08:06:07 pm
Really we are just one player away this year from being a tourney team.  Seriously think about all those really close games we lost and then add in ONE superstar from our past.   Todd Day, Corliss, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Darrel Walker, Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson.

Just one strong willed superstar leader and this team has six more wins right now, at least.  One superstar and a little more off the bench and you're a sweet sixteen team who is just a couple of lucky breaks away from the final four.

Take the way this team has played add Portis or Qualls and bam, different record all together.   

Yeah, we've had a rotten four game streak, that's where the leader was needed.   This is a really solid college team that is a perimeter scoring team.   They obviously have gotten a little worn down and all those jump shots started front rimmming instead of swishing.   Perimeter teams look REALLY ugly when they aren't dropping across the board.

Now compare that to the fact everyone thought we were a 5 win team this year.  This team has played far better than anyone thought.  Plus the coaching is there, our offense wouldn't have all the assists if coaching wasn't there.

I know no one is going to change their minds because of this post, but just consider being one player away.

Ok with that thought in mind who wants to scrap everything and rebuild with the next Heath or Pelphrey.   

I'm with Mike for at least two more years past this one.  No thought in my mind of changing out coaches until we see how this team incorporates the new talent and you really need two years to judge that.

The biggest point is that Mike can't get that "one" player.  Case closed.

goodguytex

I think we need to be patient and see how next season goes. We should have enough talent and experience next season to make the big dance. If we don't and tank the season, big changes need to be made. But not based on this season. We lost way too much to be wanting MA gone as far as I'm concerned. Next season, excuses won't be good enough for me.

TNhawgfan

One superstar away from barely being over .500
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BigHog396

Quote from: goodguytex on February 20, 2016, 08:53:37 pm
I think we need to be patient and see how next season goes. We should have enough talent and experience next season to make the big dance. If we don't and tank the season, big changes need to be made. But not based on this season. We lost way too much to be wanting MA gone as far as I'm concerned. Next season, excuses won't be good enough for me.
The losses are his fault.  Folks he recruited and didn't pan out, or left early, or just couldn't get to come here in the first place.  The roster on the hill is completely his fault, so he shouldn't get a pass for not being able to assemble a decent roster.

BigHog396

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 20, 2016, 08:10:40 pm
We've already got a coach with lesser results than Heath, both in recruiting and in making the Big Dance.
Good point...

HiggiePiggy

I see us losing Moses after this year. So he better be ready to replace him instead of pushing his feet around and waiting to see what happens like he did with Portis and Qualls. Everyone seemed to see that coming except for him. 

nwahogfan1

You could make that judgement call almost every year we are barely losing games but how difficult is it to have that 5 star stud on your team to bale you out of those close games?   

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 20, 2016, 08:59:00 pm
I see us losing Moses after this year. So he better be ready to replace him instead of pushing his feet around and waiting to see what happens like he did with Portis and Qualls. Everyone seemed to see that coming except for him. 

I hope not because Moses is not ready but I can see him leaving.    Lets hope Mike will sign another 5 or at least a 6'8 240 pounder who can play 4/5.

HiggiePiggy

He might not be ready for the pros, but he is ready for the next level.  He can go overseas and make pretty good money and make it the nba that way if he is lucky. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 20, 2016, 09:02:28 pm
I hope not because Moses is not ready but I can see him leaving.    Lets hope Mike will sign another 5 or at least a 6'8 240 pounder who can play 4/5.

He will in May and we'll steal them from UAB or UTC or UNCG.

root_hawg

Yeah and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 20, 2016, 08:50:44 pm
The biggest point is that Mike can't get that "one" player.  Case closed.

Who was Bobby Portis? 

1highhog

It's Coach Andersons job to get that one "special" player, and he hasn't.  What do you have to say about that?  His recruiting has been subpar, blame it on subpar assistants, which I think is a problem, but in turn that's Mike's problem.  I was never in favor for CMA to being Coach, I know many on here were, but it seems a lot of the big talent don't like playing this style of ball, so I don't want it.  I'm not talking about a Princeton style offense, but I sure enjoy watching an offense like Duke or Kansas.  Stan Heath so far has had better success than Mike has.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 20, 2016, 08:59:00 pm

I don't think Moses is going. But if you don't like MA that's what you should root for as no Moses absolutely means no tourney next year

Atlhogfan1

Why would we hire the next Heath or Pelphrey?  Going to be sued again or are things in such bad shape behind the scenes good coaches would run away?  (not that there is going to be an opening)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigHog396

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on February 20, 2016, 09:56:28 pm
Who was Bobby Portis? 
Is Bobby Portis playing this year?  Did I miss something?  His stats sure haven't been showing up.

Try reading the post before commenting next time.  IAMHogholio said we were one player away THIS year.  If you paid any attention, you would have seen that.

Once again... the point is, in response to IAMHogholio's comment, that Mike can't get that "one" player.  The one player that would have gotten us over the top this year.  Do I need to repeat that again?

Come to think of it... it's even more sad that Mike has really only brought in one player that has been a true individual difference maker, in 5 years now.

TexArkHogFan

Question - What does Coach Watkins do?  He looks like he is a spectator just sitting on the bench watching the game.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Jonteviosk

Your not wrong heres a thought last year we got 12 pts a game from the PF position this year 6 a dif of about 6 a game give or take. If we simply had the production we had last year we would have actually 8 more wins. Right now we would be 10-4 in conf and 21-6 overall. We would be a tournament team. If we just had as much profuction as last season which actually was miniscule in itself. That small diff and instead of the dam is bursting we would all be celebrating an extremely overachieving year.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HiggiePiggy

Problem isn't points scored.  We are averaging more points scored this year than last year. The problem is how terrible the defense is. Even though we are causing teams to get more turnovers than us almost every single game.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Isn't every mediocre college basketball team one superstar away from the NCAA tournament ?

Football has many more players on the field at one time, but I bet if you put a first round talent pass rusher, lock down corner, or LB on this years team we go from 8 wins to 10-11. 

TexArkHogFan

Players come and players go.  But with MA, assistants are forever.  Until MA decides to clean house and start from scratch again, nothing is going to change.  Why does any one think we are going to get different results if we keep doing the same thing over and over with the same group of assistants.  We have a head coach that says these guys are MINE and they ain't going nowhere.  I know head coaches are free to choose their own assistants but JL needs to pull MA aside and let him know that unless he makes some staff changes, it will be hard to defend keeping him as the head coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks. I realize assistants only do what the head coach asks of them, but at least get somebody that can RECRUIT.  And, no naps during games.  It looks bad on TV.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

bigdaddyhawg

Just curious, what color is the sky in your world?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogsolo

Maybe I'm just able to take a step back and view this without emotions.  Take away your anger and using a fair evaluation Mike seat isn't hot. 

What fan won't admit this team is much better than anyone dreamed it would be?

Remember Nolan never had elite NBA talent during his run.   Plus who should you be angry with about Monk?  Mike or the slow rollers who betrayed the whole state.   Also in the good old days Kentucky wasn't it's current semi-pro program.  While it usually had really good players, it was still a college level team.

College basketball has changed so much, good luck finding a better program builder than Mike for Arkansas. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IAMHogholio on February 22, 2016, 09:49:24 am
Maybe I'm just able to take a step back and view this without emotions.  Take away your anger and using a fair evaluation Mike seat isn't hot. 

Remember Nolan never had elite NBA talent during his run.   Plus who should you be angry with about Monk?  Mike or the slow rollers who betrayed the whole state.   Also in the good old days Kentucky wasn't it's current semi-pro program.  While it usually had really good players, it was still a college level team.

College basketball has changed so much, good luck finding a better program builder than Mike for Arkansas.

Tied for 10th place in the SEC with the lowest in conference SOS in the SEC just like last season.  This is better than anyone dreamed?  The media picked us 11th. 
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/23

How does college basketball changing relate to Anderson being the best program builder for Arkansas? 

Nolan had elite recruits and very good college players during his run.

I agree his seat isn't hot but that has more to do with other factors than it does his job performance. 

UK is still a college team.  And unlike college football, you can still reach postseason goals while another team wins your conference and even dominates it.  It is good for the SEC to have UK.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on February 21, 2016, 12:41:34 am
Question - What does Coach Watkins do?  He looks like he is a spectator just sitting on the bench watching the game.

What do any of the assistants do?

bigdaddyhawg

Mmmm, lots, including me.

I figured us for NIT qualification, or there abouts, which we are NOT much better than that.

For this team to be "much better" the person making the projections would have had to pick less than 10 wins on the year, and I did not see many picking this team that low.

I said if this team made the NCAA tourney Mike should be COY in the SEC.  We're not even close to that.

Earlier, I stated the team was better than I was expecting, and that was after the TAMU win, but they have fallen well behind of that level of play.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

razoredge178

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 22, 2016, 10:03:10 am
Tied for 10th place in the SEC with the lowest in conference SOS in the SEC just like last season.  This is better than anyone dreamed?  The media picked us 11th. 
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/23

How does college basketball changing relate to Anderson being the best program builder for Arkansas? 

Nolan had elite recruits and very good college players during his run.

I agree his seat isn't hot but that has more to do with other factors than it does his job performance. 

UK is still a college team.  And unlike college football, you can still reach postseason goals while another team wins your conference and even dominates it.  It is good for the SEC to have UK.

Thank God we have Kentucky in our conference to use as the 'all things' everything for talking RAZORBACK BASKETBALL.

How about we have one thread where we talk Hog coaching, Hog players, Hog team performance, and all other HOG stuff without any mention of Kentucky. Kentucky isn't an excuse for us losing, for us to suck in general, for us losing in state talent, for us being "so close" in ball games, "for MA needing to be on the hot seat or not, for revenue to be up or down, or anything else.

Talk Hog ball. Not Cat ball.

26.2Hog

You think this excuses being so terrible in a coach's 5th year. Because someone thinks you're going to be bad, that makes it okay to be bad?  Good grief, that's tortured logic.

When this team was picked low in the conference, that simply verified that the coach has done a poor job.

BigHog396

Remember Nolan never had elite NBA talent during his run.   
Really?  Are you really trying to act like Nolan didn't have MAJOR success in recruiting TOP LEVEL talent?

Let's see, Nolan only signed like 7 or 8 McDonald's All-American's in his first 10 seasons here.  Nah... he wasn't able to recruit.

arcowboy

You can't say the one person away is the problem , and use Portis as example. The other day I saw a post of Portis last yr and Moses right beside. The results were stats that were just alike with Moses being ahead of Portis.

Pork Twain

Hopefully he can turn it around next year with JC recruits
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 20, 2016, 08:44:07 pm
This year opened my eyes a lot. His recruiting is terrible. He has next year either NCAA tournament or unemployment line. I really am tired of seeing piss poor play.

I was big for Mike and even big for him this year until the Mississippi State game on the road then what followed after. Way too many roller coasters.

Yep to much up and down with MA and his team !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

No way bobby Portis is going to the nba. That would be silly

Jack The BN

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 22, 2016, 10:04:42 am

They yell "MOVE TREY!... Move Trey!! Yeah!! That's it Trey!!!"
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 22, 2016, 10:04:42 am

I think Watkins is the big man specialist, TJ works the backcourt, and I'm not really sure what Matt does but he gives the scouting report before the game, I imagine he has a hand in video and stuff like that.  Is it common in b-ball teams to have just blanket-term "assistants" that all kind of share duties, rather than in other sports having clearly defined position or team coaches? 

People give them a hard time because unlike other coaches Mike doesn't hype them up publicly, but I mean come on, we know what a coaching staff that doesn't work looks like (at least in another major sport). 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 25, 2016, 03:26:51 pm
I think Watkins is the big man specialist, TJ works the backcourt, and I'm not really sure what Matt does but he gives the scouting report before the game, I imagine he has a hand in video and stuff like that.  Is it common in b-ball teams to have just blanket-term "assistants" that all kind of share duties, rather than in other sports having clearly defined position or team coaches? 

People give them a hard time because unlike other coaches Mike doesn't hype them up publicly, but I mean come on, we know what a coaching staff that doesn't work looks like (at least in another major sport). 

My understanding is coach Z works with the kids on shooting and passing skills.

porkinsons disease

Yes, the the amazing skills of the assistants is being kept under wraps so we can keep them here and continue our incredible run of success.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011