Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chronic Wasting Disease is here

Started by kodiakisland, February 23, 2016, 07:18:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

BOO HISS!!! Hope they can keep it contained and keep the Deer from getting it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

It seems like everything I've read about CWD points the finger at captive breeding operations of deer and elk.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Wayne Watson

When I took two deer to the processor this year, I ask if he needed my license number and he said no because all the meat was deboned. He told me that if any bone was in there, he would need all my info.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 25, 2016, 06:57:59 pm
When I took two deer to the processor this year, I ask if he needed my license number and he said no because all the meat was deboned. He told me that if any bone was in there, he would need all my info.

Thanks Wayne It is a serious issue.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 25, 2016, 06:57:59 pm
If you are going to take your deer to the processor, why do you debone it?  Is it a $$$ per lbs thing? 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 10, 2016, 03:33:24 pm
If you are going to take your deer to the processor, why do you debone it?  Is it a $$$ per lbs thing? 

SMH.  No.
We don't rent pigs

Wayne Watson

Hog_Swanson, you really need to do more research before making comments.  You haven't answered my questions in Trappers thread.
We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hog_Swanson

March 10, 2016, 10:52:22 pm #9 Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:30:32 am by Hog_Swanson
Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 10, 2016, 05:51:46 pm
Hog_Swanson, you really need to do more research before making comments.  You haven't answered my questions in Trappers thread.
Wayne, I am not trolling you, so you can drop the attitude.  I am simply asking, why go through the trouble of gutting, skinning, and then deboning the animal before you have it processed.  Why not field dress it and take it in?  I am actually asking you if you know something that I don't...  Seems to me, by the time you get that done, 60% of the work is done.  Are you still paying the same amount to process the meat only?

BTW. I dropped out of the trapper thread because I could sense that I struck a nerve.  If you want, I can rejoin the conversation and bring facts to disprove all the mindless dribble that you blood thirsty old men set in your ways are spewing.  "this is the way my papa did it, so this is the way i'm gonna do it."

Come on Wayne, you're better than this.

Edit: I can see deboning the deer if it is a deer camp deer where it would be a few days before you could take it in.  My question was more geared to the single day hunts where you could take the deer in the same day you shot it.   

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

OldCoot

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 10, 2016, 05:38:29 pm
SMH.  No.

Don't feed the troll, Wayne.  Anyone who can try and stir up crap in a hunting thread is just not worth it.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: OldCoot on March 11, 2016, 09:28:58 am
Don't feed the troll, Wayne.  Anyone who can try and stir up crap in a hunting thread is just not worth it.
Like you are trying to do right now???

johnny cash

Trying to grow deer like cattle is what is causing all the disease's that could possibly whipe out the herd. Do the research. I know that one cow elk in buffalo river region tested positive. They are killing 300 to 500 deer in a 5 mile radius to test for CWD. These super additives we buy to grow bigger bucks is not healthy to the herd for long term effects. Got a biologist buddy who has researched this, and some products for a profit will soon be outlawed. Food plots of true organic substances like peas, soybeans, turnips and other's are good, but crap like come here deer and all other crap are contributing to protein levels that cause certain diseases in deer. Everyone wanting 150 class and above is ruining hunting, we are causing this stuff. Damn shame. We get deer herd to record numbers and now if CWD is not controlled we will see decline.

PharmacistHog

The guy the does our summer sausage charges less per lb of sausage for deboned meat.  Not to mention you know exactly what is going into your ground meat and sausage if you debone it and clean it up yourself. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 14, 2016, 11:41:55 am
The guy the does our summer sausage charges less per lb of sausage for deboned meat.  Not to mention you know exactly what is going into your ground meat and sausage if you debone it and clean it up yourself.
Makes sense.  I always debone mine and keep it under ice for 2 or 3 days to help rinse the blood out.  I grind all of mine so I have never had to take one in.  Now, my hunting buddy will just field dress it and take it to get processed.  That's why I was curious if it was less per lbs deboned.  Thanks for answering my question.

root_hawg

I debone it as well, my guys weighs it on the spot so you are paying for that bone.

jkstock04

Lot of reports of people finding dead deer this past fall/winter. This is no doubt what it is even though everyone calls it something different (black leg, hoof & mouth).

Prob gonna cause a pretty good hit on the deer herd in certain areas of the state. Deer at my house used to be a nuisance...don't see them anymore I'm guessing CWD took them all out.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Albert Einswine

The good news is, like always, the strong ones will survive and nature will engineer a work around, eventually.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kodiakisland

Found more.  I wonder what this will end up doing to next years hunting.  I'd bet the limits will be raised in some areas to severely thin the herd.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/third-case-of-chronic-wasting-disease-confirmed-in-ar

DeltaBoy

Prayers they find a cure for this mess.

OldCoot

Can any of the meat be used when they have this?  I wonder how it is spread.

Albert Einswine

southarkhog06

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2016, 10:26:35 am
The good news is, like always, the strong ones will survive and nature will engineer a work around, eventually.
until a bunch of rich white dudes with no respect for nature find another way to ruin things.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 23, 2016, 01:26:11 pm
until a bunch of rich white dudes with no respect for nature find another way to ruin things.
Why they gotta be white? >:(

root_hawg

DeltaBoy

Channel 11 Little rock reported 19 confirmed cases so far in the state.

kodiakisland

Yep, not looking good for that part of the state.  The herd needs to be thinned drastically to keep it from spreading.  Some states have banned any type of deer feeding to limit transmission rates as well.  The future of deer hunting in Arkansas could be changing.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 24, 2016, 08:00:33 pm
Yep, not looking good for that part of the state.  The herd needs to be thinned drastically to keep it from spreading.  Some states have banned any type of deer feeding to limit transmission rates as well.  The future of deer hunting in Arkansas could be changing.

Deer feeding/baiting should be banned anyway, this just adds impetus.

root_hawg

Why feeding and baiting; the cause of CWD is unknown

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

root_hawg

I know its prions but there relationship to feeding hasn't been proven

Albert Einswine

Quote from: root_hawg on March 24, 2016, 09:30:21 pm
I know its prions but there relationship to feeding hasn't been proven

The relationship to infected animals slobbering in the corn feeder and infecting other animals is proven.

root_hawg

Also shown to spread through green plants as well, want to outlaw those as well?

kodiakisland

Deer rarely congregate around one individual plant as they do a feeder.  Obviously, the disease is spread though multiple means.  Not feeding deer so they congregate and share saliva is a good practice to reduce the spread of any disease, not just CWD.  That is why many states don't allow it. 

IronHog

Y'all see where the inital survey was beyond ugly?

kodiakisland

I'm wondering if they will get rid of a huge percentage of the elk.  Hopefully through hunting this fall and not just culling.  My guess is they will cut the herd size in half.

IronHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 25, 2016, 01:23:35 am
I'm wondering if they will get rid of a huge percentage of the elk.  Hopefully through hunting this fall and not just culling.  My guess is they will cut the herd size in half.

They don't know what to do.

AGFC either missed CWD being there or didn't inform the public.  Either way there's lots more bad news coming.

rzrbk4life

I have a feeling this may be more widespread than in just the area they are testing. I pray I am wrong though
Let's call those hogs!!!!

SemperHawg

I have kept a really close eye on this as it is not far from property where I deer hunt...planning to take out all of my trough feeders and replace with timed spreaders.  So far not seeing anything on cams that look like sick animals...fingers crossed.

IronHog

Quote from: rzrbk4life on March 25, 2016, 04:11:08 pm
I have a feeling this may be more widespread than in just the area they are testing. I pray I am wrong though

If they had 40% return it's gotta be widespread......

OldCoot

So apparently you can eat the meat if you stay away from brain and spinal cord.  Don't know if I would chance it though.

kodiakisland

You can eat the meat, and many do because they don't know the animal has CWD.  If I knew or thought the animal was infected I would not eat it though.

I've seen several dead deer over the last couple of years where I hunt in NWA.  Didn't really think anything of it at the time.  Now I wonder.

DOGALUM

Saw multiple dead around lake and river this past year.   Not where I hunt but it spreads in no time.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

southarkhog06

root_hawg

I would rather them get rid of the elk and try to up the turkey population.  Makes no sense why all the states surrounding us have healthy turkey populations and we don't

theFlyingHog

Quote from: root_hawg on March 30, 2016, 04:53:04 am
I would rather them get rid of the elk and try to up the turkey population.  Makes no sense why all the states surrounding us have healthy turkey populations and we don't
I think we need stronger predator control. Those coons do a number on turkey eggs

pigture perfect

This will become more and more the norm if the anti-hunters have their way.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

southarkhog06

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 30, 2016, 11:09:11 am
This will become more and more the norm if the anti-hunters have their way.
what do anti-hunters have to do with CWD?