Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty Hannahs transferring from Texas Tech

Started by Hawg Red, March 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 11:02:11 am
He shot 65 FTs all year.  He doesn't get to the line.

We aren't going to tie up a scholarship to put him in close games at the end.

I didn't realize that Bell, an 80% FT shooter, attempted just 15 FTs this past season. We had five players attempt 100+ FTs this year, for perspective. Bell was 7th in minutes played this year (515).

He played nearly half as many minutes last season, and still go to the line 11 times. Bell needs to put the ball on the floor far more often than he does.

I keep comparing Hannahs to Bell in my mind, which is why I bring this up.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 10:08:01 am

Considering that Arkansas essentially only goes nine deep, being the '11th or 12th guy' as a junior may not be all that exciting of a prospect.
I had a hard time finding one game where we didn't at least go 10 deep. I know I'm beign somewhat picky but CMA has always gone 10-11 deep in almost every single game. The last game of the year we played 10 and only one of those ten played single digit minutes.

Marshfieldhog

We played our best ball when we shortened the rotation up then we rolled a bunch of guys back out and finished 1-3.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on March 26, 2014, 05:26:19 pm
I had a hard time finding one game where we didn't at least go 10 deep. I know I'm beign somewhat picky but CMA has always gone 10-11 deep in almost every single game. The last game of the year we played 10 and only one of those ten played single digit minutes.

Vs. Cal in the NIT, yes we used 10 players, but Wade (#10) only played five minutes. Nine players saw 13+ minutes.

Vs. S. Carolina, we used 12 players, but Haydar, Jacorey, & Scott each saw just 4 minutes a piece. Nine players saw 10+ minutes.

@ Kentucky, we used 10 players, but Haydar only saw 7 minutes. Nine players saw 13+ minutes.

@ Starkville, we used 10 players, but Haydar only saw 6 minutes. Nine players saw 13+ minutes.

Those guys getting so few minutes/game aren't part of a 'rotation.' Do you really want to get ticky-tack over a 10th guy getting a few spot minutes? Interpret it however you wish, but that's essentially going 9 deep in my book. I don't include blow-out wins/losses because that allows for others to get PT when they ordinarily wouldn't.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

LA Football fan

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 11:02:11 am
He shot 65 FTs all year.  He doesn't get to the line.

We aren't going to tie up a scholarship to put him in close games at the end.

He will get to the line when they have to foul to get the ball back.  Doesn't have anything to do with his ability to get to the line.   Is he worth a scholarship?  If his presence would have won us  1 to 2 games during the regular season then dang right he is worth it.  That would have gotten us to the tourney this year and having a player on your team that can help you get to the tourney is always worth a scholarship.

I can remember several Hog teams that had a 90% free throw shooter and they were invaluable at the end of games when teams were fouling to stretch the game out. 

lookawayquick

Dusty would be a better fit for Brady and ASU. 

yraciv

Well we've only got 2 scholarships supposed to be open, and would be losing Madden and Harris, I don't really see the fit.  I like Dusty Hannah's and think he would be a great replacement for Bell, but I think Bell will still be around when he becomes eligible.  I certainly wouldn't take him over the other guards we're heavy on right now, Whitt, Allen, Gilder, & McClure so I just don't think there is a fit. If guys start transferring out and we strike out on all those and start looking JUCO, we could probably use him, but I think we take a pass due to the timing.

Now if he wants to walkon, I'm all for it. He plays similar to Haydar, but is taller and more athletic.  He certainly deserves to be on a D1 scholarship somewhere, but so did Fred Gulley and he took the walkon to play for his hometown team.

hogcam

With how bad we shoot the ball, it's amazing to me that some people are wanting to pass him up.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LA Football fan on March 26, 2014, 08:36:04 pm
He will get to the line when they have to foul to get the ball back.  Doesn't have anything to do with his ability to get to the line.   Is he worth a scholarship?  If his presence would have won us  1 to 2 games during the regular season then dang right he is worth it.  That would have gotten us to the tourney this year and having a player on your team that can help you get to the tourney is always worth a scholarship.

I can remember several Hog teams that had a 90% free throw shooter and they were invaluable at the end of games when teams were fouling to stretch the game out. 

I'm glad you aren't in charge of our basketball program.  Wanting to give a scholarship to a kid for 2 years so he can POSSIBLY shoot FTs in 5-10 close games is beyond ridiculous.

The Hogfather

Quote from: yraciv on March 26, 2014, 10:04:34 pm
Well we've only got 2 scholarships supposed to be open, and would be losing Madden and Harris, I don't really see the fit.  I like Dusty Hannah's and think he would be a great replacement for Bell, but I think Bell will still be around when he becomes eligible.  I certainly wouldn't take him over the other guards we're heavy on right now, Whitt, Allen, Gilder, & McClure so I just don't think there is a fit. If guys start transferring out and we strike out on all those and start looking JUCO, we could probably use him, but I think we take a pass due to the timing.

Now if he wants to walkon, I'm all for it. He plays similar to Haydar, but is taller and more athletic.  He certainly deserves to be on a D1 scholarship somewhere, but so did Fred Gulley and he took the walkon to play for his hometown team.

This is how I feel.  He really doesn't bring a ton to the table, when you take everything into account.  Everyone keeps talking about what a great shooter he is, but he only shot around 37% from 3.  That's not a GREAT 3-point %. 

For reference, Qualls and Gulley shot 35% this year.  Madden, Wade, Haydar, and Clarke all shot over 40% this year.

mhuff

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 07:53:54 am
This is how I feel.  He really doesn't bring a ton to the table, when you take everything into account.  Everyone keeps talking about what a great shooter he is, but he only shot around 37% from 3.  That's not a GREAT 3-point %. 

For reference, Qualls and Gulley shot 35% this year.  Madden, Wade, Haydar, and Clarke all shot over 40% this year.

Excellent points +1    Looks like our new commit is a shooter... over 50% and 44% from 3point range. If Dusty would come as a walkon.... I would love to have him

kingofdequeen

not valid.   none of those players are white.

The Hogfather

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 27, 2014, 09:04:44 am

Haydar is close enough, right?

The Hogfather

Seriously, though, it is really weird to me that everyone has been labeling him a "shooter", a "pure shooter", a "knockdown shooter", a "zone buster", etc. and he has only shot around 37% from 3 over his 2 years in college.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 09:05:30 am
Haydar is close enough, right?

for arkansans?  sure.  most of us think Jesus was white.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 09:06:55 am
Seriously, though, it is really weird to me that everyone has been labeling him a "shooter", a "pure shooter", a "knockdown shooter", a "zone buster", etc. and he has only shot around 37% from 3 over his 2 years in college.

I can see him being labeled a 'shooter,' simply because that's...what he does. He was their primary perimeter shooter. Those other labels do probably stretch the truth a bit though. He's not exactly Reggie Miller.

The Hogfather

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 27, 2014, 09:07:53 am
for arkansans?  sure.  most of us think Jesus was white.

I like to think of my Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 27, 2014, 09:13:25 am
I can see him being labeled a 'shooter,' simply because that's...what he does. He was their primary perimeter shooter. Those other labels do probably stretch the truth a bit though. He's not exactly Reggie Miller.

These terms, including "shooter", are meant to indicate that he's an outstanding 3-point shooter, not simply that he shoots lots of 3s.

Hawg Red

Texas Tech was not nearly as good as Arkansas was this year. Surround Dusty with more talent, mainly two bigs like Kingsley and Portis to draw defenders in and kick it out to him, and that % comes up over 40%, IMO. We're losing three of our 40% 3 point shooters, and will have lost the fourth by the time Dusty is eligible.

Quote from: yraciv on March 26, 2014, 10:04:34 pm

Again, we're talking about Dusty taking a current players spot so how many open spots we'll have is irrelevant because he's just taking the place of someone already accounted for. Not sure why people can't grasp this. Him taking Wagner's scholarship and sitting out a year is basically the same thing as Dee Wagner playing 37 minutes all year this year, right? But the difference is that we KNOW Dusty will at least be able to contribute SOMETHING and that's all you can ask from an end-of-the-bench guy. We're not giving out 13 scholarship and have all of those players being 4/5 star guys or guys logging heavy minutes.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 27, 2014, 09:27:09 am
Texas Tech was not nearly as good as Arkansas was this year. Surround Dusty with more talent, mainly two bigs like Kingsley and Portis to draw defenders in and kick it out to him, and that % comes up over 40%, IMO. We're losing three of our 40% 3 point shooters, and will have lost the fourth by the time Dusty is eligible.

That sure is a lot conjecture and speculation there.  Worth tying up a scholarship for 3 years?  I'm not sold.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 09:40:31 am
That sure is a lot conjecture and speculation there.  Worth tying up a scholarship for 3 years?  I'm not sold.

Is it really "a lot"? He's shot 37% at a crap school with not nearly the talent we'll have. I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that he'll get better looks at Arkansas. Again, we're talking about someone who'd be playing around 15 minutes a game. Dee Wagner couldn't even get off the bench. I know some people are not ruling out him contributing next season, but that'd be a gigantic turn-around. Swapping out Hannahs for Wagner (or Williams) also reduces the imbalance of players set to exit in 2016 (currently at 6 players). You only worry about "tying up a scholarship" if it's going to cost you a better player. Are we in on better players right now? I don't think so. We're in Atwood's rear-view. With Durham committing, we're probably not looking at any more guards. So you're basically telling me it's not worth giving up Dee Wagner and his 37 minutes played this year. Again, by the time Hannahs is eligible, we will have lost our top 5 3 point shooters from this year. There's a need to replenish shooting. Hannahs is a good shooter if Anthlon Bell is. Bottom line.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 05:49:01 pm
Vs. Cal in the NIT, yes we used 10 players, but Wade (#10) only played five minutes. Nine players saw 13+ minutes.

Vs. S. Carolina, we used 12 players, but Haydar, Jacorey, & Scott each saw just 4 minutes a piece. Nine players saw 10+ minutes.

@ Kentucky, we used 10 players, but Haydar only saw 7 minutes. Nine players saw 13+ minutes.

@ Starkville, we used 10 players, but Haydar only saw 6 minutes. Nine players saw 13+ minutes.

Those guys getting so few minutes/game aren't part of a 'rotation.' Do you really want to get ticky-tack over a 10th guy getting a few spot minutes? Interpret it however you wish, but that's essentially going 9 deep in my book. I don't include blow-out wins/losses because that allows for others to get PT when they ordinarily wouldn't.
I wouldn't include the blowouts either. We all know that the numbers are going to be way different and doesn't really add to either one of our arguments. But we do differ when it comes to someone playing 5-9 minutes as being part of the rotation. I do believe getting a consistent 5-9 minutes as being part of the rotation. You don't have to play double digit minutes to be part of the rotation in my book. But that's okay that we disagree about it. Every commentator  that  talked about arkansas this year stated we play 10-12 guys so it's common knowledge by most that we go much deeper than 9 players.

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 27, 2014, 09:54:12 am
Is it really "a lot"? He's shot 37% at a crap school with not nearly the talent we'll have. I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that he'll get better looks at Arkansas. Again, we're talking about someone who'd be playing around 15 minutes a game. Dee Wagner couldn't even get off the bench. I know some people are not ruling out him contributing next season, but that'd be a gigantic turn-around. Swapping out Hannahs for Wagner (or Williams) also reduces the imbalance of players set to exit in 2016 (currently at 6 players). You only worry about "tying up a scholarship" if it's going to cost you a better player. Are we in on better players right now? I don't think so. We're in Atwood's rear-view. With Durham committing, we're probably not looking at any more guards. So you're basically telling me it's not worth giving up Dee Wagner and his 37 minutes played this year. Again, by the time Hannahs is eligible, we will have lost our top 5 3 point shooters from this year. There's a need to replenish shooting. Hannahs is a good shooter if Anthlon Bell is. Bottom line.
i keep seeing you using Dee Wagner as the guy to push out. Would you be just as willing to push Hannah out once there is a chance to sign a player who could POTENTIALLY give us more?

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on March 27, 2014, 10:53:41 am
i keep seeing you using Dee Wagner as the guy to push out. Would you be just as willing to push Hannah out once there is a chance to sign a player who could POTENTIALLY give us more?

No. Hannahs would be a contributor and bring something to the table. Wagner provides absolutely nothing. Clear difference.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 27, 2014, 09:04:44 am
Don't you do the same (and then some) for Bell? Bell is far below the list of guys shooting over 40% and yes, he's below Hannahs in 3pt % as well....yet you and many, many others on here label him as a shooter. What gives? Maybe his early 30s 3pt % just looks better?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 27, 2014, 10:57:02 am
No. Hannahs would be a contributor and bring something to the table. Wagner provides absolutely nothing. Clear difference.
One thing I don't get, regardless of whether he stays here or not, is why we haven't redshirted him either one of his first 2 seasons?

Edit: The answer just dawned on me. If he stays 4 years, we want that scholarship freed up as soon as possible and not having to wait a 5th year.

daprospecta

I would be shocked if Wagner is still here next year.  When I was on the hill in the mid 2000's, I saw players that were "asked" to transfer basically because they were never going to play and they wanted their schollie for other reasons.  Of course, they don't have to but who wants to stay on a team where they aren't wanted.

mhuff

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 11:01:29 am
Don't you do the same (and then some) for Bell? Bell is far below the list of guys shooting over 40% and yes, he's below Hannahs in 3pt % as well....yet you and many, many others on here label him as a shooter. What gives? Maybe his early 30s 3pt % just looks better?

+1   You raise a valid point,  but Bell is an anomaly to me. He shot like 50% in h.s. on 3pt's. His coach gave him the green light when he crossed the center line. He is not shooting up to his potential. His shot needs to improve. He jumps forward a little which should flatten the shot out. He also is not square at times. How many of his shots this year did not touch iron?

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: daprospecta on March 27, 2014, 01:40:33 pm
When I was on the hill in the mid 2000's, I saw players that were "asked" to transfer basically because they were never going to play and they wanted their schollie for other reasons.  Of course, they don't have to but who wants to stay on a team where they aren't wanted.

That sort of thing still happens.

yraciv

March 27, 2014, 03:30:07 pm #130 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:44:30 pm by yraciv
Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 09:06:55 am

That is what he is. Maybe his college stats don't back it up cause he struggled early like Bell, but he is a knockdown shooter. I'm not saying he is Rotnei, but I'd take him in a shooting contest over Haydar.  Plus he also played on 2 bad Tech teams, so I've got to think with our talent he would probably get some more good looks. 

yraciv

Quote from: Breems on March 27, 2014, 03:10:44 pm
Volume shooter? Marshall Henderson?

Henderson .52 shots per minute, Hannahs .274 shots per minute. Hardly the same!

The Hogfather

Quote from: yraciv on March 27, 2014, 03:30:07 pm
That is what he is. Maybe his college stats don't back it up cause he struggled early like Bell, but he is a knockdown shooter. I'm not saying he is Rotnei, but I'd take him in a shooting contest over Haydar.  Plus he also played on 2 bad Tech teams, so I've got to think with our talent he would probably get some more good looks. 

It sort of cracks me up when people put labels on people, but the statistics don't back the labels up.  You can't be a "knockdown shooter" and shoot under 37% from 3, in my opinion.

Maybe people are mistaking being a "knockdown shooter" in a game of HORSE with being a "knockdown shooter" while playing high level D1 basketball?

dsims2k3

Not only does he have to be able to knock down those shots but he has to be quick and athletic enough to come off screens to get his shot off in the SEC.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

yraciv

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 03:40:15 pm
It sort of cracks me up when people put labels on people, but the statistics don't back the labels up.  You can't be a "knockdown shooter" and shoot under 37% from 3, in my opinion.

Maybe people are mistaking being a "knockdown shooter" in a game of HORSE with being a "knockdown shooter" while playing high level D1 basketball?

Well I don't know what to tell you. A lot of pure shooters can't get their shot when surrounded with mediocre talent, it also takes some guys time to learn spacing, so they have room to get their shot off. Dusty took a lot of pressure shots this year due to lack of talent around him and the inability of his teammates to hit jumpers.  Madden certainly isn't a 40% shooter unless he is surrounded by a bunch of athletes like we have. Even the great JJ Redick didn't shoot 40% from 3 in college, and he is about as good as they come. 

The guy shot 51% from three in High School to the tune of 26 a game and is a 90% FT shooter.

Hawg Red

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 27, 2014, 03:45:02 pm
Not only does he have to be able to knock down those shots but he has to be quick and athletic enough to come off screens to get his shot off in the SEC.

It's almost as if you are implying the SEC is tougher or more athletic than the Big 12. Regardless of the conference debate, they're at least equal in that regard. If he can shoot 37% on a bad Big 12 team, I'll assume he can do at least than on an improving SEC team.

Polecat

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 09:14:46 am
I like to think of my Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt.

Absolutely. Because it says, like ... I want to be formal. But I like to party too
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

yraciv

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 27, 2014, 03:45:02 pm

And for anyone questioning his athleticism I'd take a look at this. Of course it is a Ron Crawford comment, so take it with a grain of salt, but unless it's a huge reach. Shows the kid has some athleticism and I've definitely seen it in his game.
http://pulaski.rightbrainmedia.com/Articles/ArticleDetail.aspx?Article=Hannahs+among+Top+25+3-po...&ArticleID=16

Hawg Red

Hannahs athleticism is nothing to write home about, but it's also not bad enough to write home about. He's more athletic than Haydar.

Razorod

I guess a question we might ask is would he do better in a transition/motion offense rather than a traditional half-court system? I believe both Gillispie and Tubby are more half-court guys. Don't know if either ran a motion offense.

Just thinking out loud a little and wondering if Anderson's offensive system might be a better fit for him. I do get the defensive end of the court questions.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 11:01:29 am

i love anthlon.  favorite player basically b/c he's not scared to let it fly.   

i dunno where i said he was a sharpshooter.  he's just the only guy on the team who won't pumpfake waiting on the defense to get there.  and he takes a lot of tough contested shots.  is what it is.

bigredone

If the coach wants him on scholarship, I am all for it. If he wants him to walk on, fine by me. I don't get paid to make those decisions. I would not mind to see him on the team, either way, but I don't see him as a "must have". His athleticism is suspect, he may have enough to actually contribute.

JackJohnson

Like others I believe we need a legit big time shooter.  As we have seen with Bell you can have the purest stroke and all the stats in HS but that doesn't always translate to this level.  Had Hannahs been > 40% at least one of his years I would take him with no hesitation.  However he has been right at 37% both years on about the same number of attempts which is a bit worrisome.  Then you factor in he has to sit a year and it definitely gives me reason to pause. 

Optimally if we are to take a transfer from another school that has to sit out it would be preferred that he has a track record that gives you no reason to worry- like the kids Mizzou has been getting the past 3 years.  Of course as we saw with Harris even that isn't a sure thing. 

That being said I would definitely like to see us be more proactive on some of these can't miss D1 transfers that the other teams in the league have been getting and am hoping that Harris turns it on next year and Miles plays like his HS accolades predicted he would.  Bama took a couple good ones last year, Harrell for AU was really good, already mentioned Mizzou, mayman wa good for. UT, UF has had several lately, etc.  hopefully it is our turn bc for whatever reason kids in CBB have had tremendous success at stop 2- way more so than in football where players like Mallett are the exception rather than the rule when going from high major to high major

TT222

"@ChrisLevel: To add to what @TheRecruitScoop is reporting about Jordan Tolbert transferring to SMU, Arkansas is in the mix for Dusty Hannahs. #TexasTech"

Just saw this and wanted to pass it along regarding, Dusty.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TT222 on March 31, 2014, 11:45:39 am
“@ChrisLevel: To add to what @TheRecruitScoop is reporting about Jordan Tolbert transferring to SMU, Arkansas is in the mix for Dusty Hannahs. #TexasTech”

Interesting. Wonder whats going on at TTU, beside Lubbock being a terrible place to go to college.

The Hogfather

Breems

Quote from: TT222 on March 31, 2014, 11:45:39 am
“@ChrisLevel: To add to what @TheRecruitScoop is reporting about Jordan Tolbert transferring to SMU, Arkansas is in the mix for Dusty Hannahs. #TexasTech”

The Hogfather, which company are you having print your new Hannahs Arkansas jersey?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Breems on March 31, 2014, 11:49:42 am
The Hogfather, which company are you having print your new Hannahs Arkansas jersey?

Apex.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 11:48:06 am
Interesting. Wonder whats going on at TTU, beside Lubbock being a terrible place to go to college.

The coach who brought them there, is no longer there. Greener pastures playing for a staff they want to play for, most likely.

TT222

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 11:48:06 am

Jordan Tolbert's father died last year or the year before so he's going to Dallas where he is originally from to be closer to family. Dusty just doesn't fit Tubby's system and he knows that so he's leaving. On the other hand he's gotten screwed. Went there to play for Gillespie, then got Chris walker. Right when they get used to Chris walker, Tubby is hired. No stability in Lubbock from day 1 for him...