Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee

Started by RebelW, March 02, 2015, 09:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/patrickbrownTFP/status/794582403557814272

QuoteTennessee's promising season heads into its final month a disappointment due in large part to the struggles on offense.

The Volunteers can point to a long list of injuries to key players as the reason for problems on defense, but the regression of an offense returning experience and talent from last season is more concerning.

Offensive coordinator Mike DeBord was honest earlier this week when asked about the current identity of his offense.

"Inconsistent," DeBord said. "We've shown great signs (against) Florida and Georgia and A&M where we can do great things, and then we've had our inconsistencies. It's something we're working at. I think we've got to get our confidence back, get our swag back a little bit: 'Hey, we're good football players, we're a good football team and a good football unit.'

"We've just got to get that back a little bit. That's one thing we're going to work on."

Unlike last season, when the Vols could depend on a rushing attack that finished second in the Southeastern Conference and produced nearly 224 yards per game, they aren't doing anything well on offense right now. Tennessee is eighth in the conference in passing and 10th in rushing, and it is 11th in yards per play (5.3) and yards per game (381.5) after averaging nearly 5.6 yards per play and almost 41 yards more per game last season.

In only four games last season did Tennessee fail to reach 400 yards of offense, but it's happened five times already this season, including 163- and 297-yard outings against Alabama and South Carolina the past two games.

What makes the struggles more maddening are the 498- and 684-yard explosions against Florida and Texas A&M.

"(When) we haven't played well, we're not executing at a high level," quarterback Josh Dobbs said. "The other defense is out there and they're doing different things, but at the end of the day we're hurting ourselves. We're stopping ourselves, whether it's pre-snap penalties, being behind the chains, turnovers — little things that we shouldn't do if we want to be successful."

The Vols were excellent starting games last season, when they relied on scripted plays to score six touchdowns and attempt three field goals while punting just twice on 13 opening-game possessions. This season they have punted on every opening possession except one, when they scored a touchdown against Ohio.

"We don't wait till after the first quarter to adjust or anything," DeBord said. "We talk after the first series, then the second series and we continue to talk about the things we need to change or do different. When I was asked about our offense and said it's inconsistent, it's inconsistencies with (mistakes) whether it's penalties, whether it's snaps, whether it's a fumble.

"We can't defeat ourselves that way."

The play-calling often seems to lack creativity or a general direction.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/795603003801829376

Quoteennessee true freshman Nigel Warrior looks to be headed for a pivotal role in the Vols' secondary moving forward.

Tennessee safeties Micah Abernathy (hamstring) and Evan Berry (ankle) finished Saturday night's 55-0 win over Tennessee Tech sidelined by injuries, and Warrior was forced into significant action.

Berry suffered what appeared to be a significant lower right leg injury in the first quarter and did not return to the game.

"Nigel has great closing speed," Vols head coach Butch Jones said after the game. "He does a great job of tackling in the open field."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/796481716122714112

QuoteU.S. Army All-American missed playing football as much as his coaches and teammates missed watching him play football, but he had to be helped off the field during Tennessee's Battle at Bristol win over Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway on Sept. 10, and he wasn't able to return until the the Vols' Oct. 29 game at South Carolina.

High ankle sprains often hurt more than ankle fractures, and they can take a long time to repair.

Kirkland didn't deny that his six-week absence was "difficult" for him, and his team has never denied the difficulty in overcoming in absence, but the reigning Freshman All-SEC linebacker said he's back in shape and ready for a strong finish to his sophomore season.

"Playing linebacker is just something that, you know, repetition is the biggest thing," he said. "As far as the communication standpoint, the eye discipline standpoint, everything has to be so consistent. I lost a little bit of that as I was out those six weeks, so it definitely helped those last two games, getting back in, getting some real game reps, and getting practice reps, as well.

"I'm getting a lot more confident."

ALLVOL

Quote from: Paul on November 01, 2016, 12:26:25 pm
. Yep,even the preseason Heisman QB
I don't remember Aub losing half their starters last year.

hobhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2016, 07:02:07 pm

To injury or just quitting?

southarkhog06

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2016, 07:02:07 pm
what was your excuse last year when the Hogs beat your vols missing half the team to broken feet?

jbcarol

ALLVOL

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 12, 2016, 02:54:16 pm
what was your excuse last year when the Hogs beat your vols missing half the team to broken feet?
I asked a specific question about AUB and injuries. It's easy to talk trash. Do a little checking and you will see that once again I'm correct. Have a nice day.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 4h4 hours ago

Tennessee is 7-3 for first time since 2007. Vols are 13-3 in last 16 SEC games, behind only Alabama (16-0). Florida, Arkansas, Georgia 11-5.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/797975516074496001

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is back in contention for the SEC East Division, needing only to beat Missouri and Vanderbilt and see Florida lose at LSU.

Vols (7-3, 3-3 SEC) host Missouri (3-7, 1-5) at 3:30 p.m. EST Saturday at Neyland.

Coach Butch Jones was appreciative of his team's 49-36 victory over Kentucky.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 Nov 16

End of Josh Dobbs' career reminds me a little of Casey Clausen's. So many people wanted him gone ... until he actually left. Caveat emptor.

Vols had no choice but to pull Josh Dobbs' redshirt each of his first two seasons, but imagine the difference if he were coming back in '17.

They would be all the talk

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on November 17, 2016, 02:32:21 pm
Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 Nov 16

End of Josh Dobbs' career reminds me a little of Casey Clausen's. So many people wanted him gone ... until he actually left. Caveat emptor.

Vols had no choice but to pull Josh Dobbs' redshirt each of his first two seasons, but imagine the difference if he were coming back in '17.

They would be all the talk

FIFY.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 4m4 minutes ago

Whoever added this bottom part to Butch Jones' Wikipedia page is my Hero of the Day...

Razorbackers

Butch Jones has gone full Houston Nutt.

https://twitter.com/rockytopinsider/status/800756377295667201

The replied to this tweet are gold.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 21, 2016, 03:35:04 pm
Butch Jones has gone full Houston Nutt.

https://twitter.com/rockytopinsider/status/800756377295667201

The replied to this tweet are gold.

Good, maybe the NCAA will start handing out a "Nutt Award" trophy to some lucky coach in the future.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MinisterofD/status/800765769973907456

ESPNAssignmentDesk ‏@ESPNAssignDesk 2h2 hours ago

@MinisterofD May ESPN have permission to run this photo on all platforms with a courtesy to you?  Please advise.

jbcarol

Jackrabbit Hog

We all owe ALLVOL a huge apology and an admission that he knew a lot more than we did before the season.  He said the Vols would win a championship.  By golly he was right..

Kudos to you my friend. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 23, 2016, 01:21:50 pm
We all owe ALLVOL a huge apology and an admission that he knew a lot more than we did before the season.  He said the Vols would win a championship.  By golly he was right..

Kudos to you my friend. 
Now JR, I never said they would win a championship.
And you know what Jones was saying. He was standing up for his SR's.

kaki

AllVol, your excuse making and pollyannish approach is a great example of a shared mindset of many Vol that makes me laugh.  I hope you and your compatriots keep it up, because I like the Vols with a clown on the sidelines.  With Les Miles gone, it appears his shoes will be filled, at least in the goofball area, not sure Sgt. Carter can carry his jock, coaching wise

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 23, 2016, 06:59:47 pm
Now JR, I never said they would win a championship.
And you know what Jones was saying. He was standing up for his SR's.

Participation trophies are for pee wee football. Face the disappointment like a man. No need to make up stuff.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ALLVOL

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 10:23:27 pm
Participation trophies are for pee wee football. Face the disappointment like a man. No need to make up stuff.
There was nothing made up. The guy was calling his SR's great young men and standing up for them. The faact that cynical members of the media and a few dolts took it and turned into something different is on them.

Jackrabbit Hog

November 24, 2016, 08:44:16 am #1224 Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:09:28 am by Jackrabbit Hog
Quote from: ALLVOL on November 24, 2016, 08:23:33 am
There was nothing made up. The guy was calling his SR's great young men and standing up for them. The faact that cynical members of the media and a few dolts took it and turned into something different is on them.

Well, you HAVE to admit it's on him as well.  Sure, I understand - and I think everyone does - what he was trying to say.  I read the entirety of his remarks and, in context, it was very admirable what his message was.  BUT, to say what he said, using those words, he might as well have set it up on a tee and handed a Big Bertha driver to everybody.  Some of the memes I've seen are downright hilarious.  You've GOT to admit that buddy.

This one has to be my favorite so far.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 24, 2016, 08:44:16 am
Well, you HAVE to admit it's on him as well.  Sure, I understand - and I think everyone does - what he was trying to say.  I read the entirety of his remarks and, in context, it was very admirable what his message was.  BUT, to say what he said, using those words, he might as well have set it up on a tee and handed a Big Bertha driver to everybody.  Some of the memes I've seen are downright hilarious.  You've GOT to admit that buddy.

This one has to be my favorite so far.
Coaching in the SEC can be brutal for sure.

Jackrabbit Hog

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 24, 2016, 12:26:36 pm
No doubt.
LOL I laugh every time I see that. His downfall is the same that has cost many men.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 24, 2016, 01:12:53 pm
LOL I laugh every time I see that. His downfall is the same that has cost many men.

Rhymes with?

Hogs up! Covid down!

jbcarol

Rhiannon Potkey ‏@TennesseeBeat 35m35 minutes ago

Tennessee's 58 total touchdowns this season are the most since the Vols set the school record of 62 in 1993.

hobhog

Underachievers award. Wow what a way to end a season of high hopes.....

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/803742363898232832

QuoteHas any TN coach been allowed to continue after two losses to Vanderbilt?

Yup. How about the guy who the stadium is named after.

One Mr. Robert Reese Neyland lost to Vandy twice — in 1926 and 1948 —

I know we have more important problems to worry about but what are the chances someone gets in Butch's ear and tells him to cool it with the asinine platitudes he keeps spouting? It makes him look clueless and is internet fodder for opposing teams' fans. Does Butch not realize people are making fun of him or does he simply not care?"

Jones is aware of the comments out there. That's why he went on his mini soapbox about folks not appreciating Tennessee's turnaround and decrying, "I don't get it."

The "asinine platitudes" and cliches certainly don't make Jones particularly endearing. It comes off as tone deaf and trying to control a false narrative.

I think most people appreciate candor. If he spoke that way more often, fans would be much more inclined to give Jones a longer leash.

TheShow

Quote from: jbcarol on November 22, 2016, 10:55:55 am
https://twitter.com/MinisterofD/status/800765769973907456

ESPNAssignmentDesk ‏@ESPNAssignDesk 2h2 hours ago

@MinisterofD May ESPN have permission to run this photo on all platforms with a courtesy to you?  Please advise.

Yeah this one takes home the medal and orange slices!

TheShow

riccoar

Champions of Life.  Just when you thought nobody could equal the mental retard who came up with SEC West Co-Champions. 

TheShow

Yep, there's a whole lot of "Nutty" going on at the helm in Knoxville right now.

ALLVOL

Quote from: riccoar on November 30, 2016, 02:27:35 pm
Champions of Life.  Just when you thought nobody could equal the mental retard who came up with SEC West Co-Champions. 
Completely blown out of proportion. Listen to his presser and you will see he was standing by his SR's and saying they're good guys who learned a lot etc.
There's plenty to rag Jones on. This really isn't one.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 17h17 hours ago

If you're saying Dobbs can't be 1st-team All-SEC QB because #Vols went 8-4, then Lamar Jackson can't win Heisman. 4 TOs in loss to Kentucky.

I love Jalen Hurts. I think he's great and will be even greater. I also think Bret Bielema could QB that Alabama team to a 13-0 record.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/806925840013463552

QuoteOn Wednesday, Travis Haney of 247Sports reported some serious flaws in the culture of the Tennessee football program created by Butch Jones.

The word from anonymous sources inside of the football program painted a picture of a culture with a bleak outlook — one that was too soft on players and gave them too much power. One source even called it a "disaster."

While it seems that there might be some changes that need to be made to the culture of the program, the Tennessee boosters aren't ready to close the door on Jones yet. After the publication of Haney's story, one influential Tennessee booster reached out to 247Sports to give his take on the temperature of the program.

In that report from Barton Simmons, the booster, who remains anonymous, emphasizes that "the verdict is still out."

"But keep in mind there's only three dominant guys in college football – Saban, Meyer and Harbaugh. Everybody else is chasing," the Booster told Simmons.

"We need to stop comparing everything to what Saban is doing. He is a once-in-a-generation college coach, but remember, he wasn't winning titles either at 48 (years old)..."

ALLVOL

I don't put much stock in either Haney's article or this one. "Anonymous" sources hold no water with me whether they be positive or negative.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 38m38 minutes ago

Source: Vols DT Shy Tuttle will miss spring ball and might not
return until August or later. Injury was worse than 2015 injury.

jbcarol

Rhiannon Potkey ‏@TennesseeBeat 12m12 minutes ago

ICYMI: "When we heard about Jackie, the thing that got us the most was that she had an 8-year-old son" http://knoxne.ws/2hxyaZe  via @knoxnews

QuoteMike Kelly wouldn't normally wake his wife from sleeping. Jackie Kelly is battling cancer for the fourth time in a year and needs all the rest her weary body can get.

"She just lit up like a Christmas tree," Mike Kelly said. "She was like 'Go Vols' and they started laughing and said 'Go Vols.' They talked about everything but her being sick and she just got to be a fan for the 45 minutes they were here. She was just her old self."

Getting to meet Dobbs last week provided an emotional lift for Jackie.

The visit is one of several that Tennessee athletes make that aren't done to generate publicity. But the proliferation of social media over the years has increased the awareness of their community-oriented trips.

Before visiting Jackie, Dobbs and Kendrick were part of a group of Tennessee students that visited Gatlinburg last week to meet with evacuees and first responders from the wildfire.

"I have been blessed with a great platform since I have been here. I remember my goals coming to Tennessee was just to take advantage of every opportunity I have, whether it's on the field with my play or giving back to the community and taking advantage of those opportunities," Dobbs said. "Each one you go to is different and each one you go to you are able to touch someone else's lives and they are very humbling. You really think about what you are thankful and grateful for.

"You get caught up in wins and losses and different things and how many yards you throw for. But when you are able to give back to the community you realize there are a lot more important things than the game of football. Not saying football isn't important. But there are a lot of problems and stuff going on in the world around you that you need to pay mind to and put your attention towards."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/808794036102381570

QuoteButch Jones met with reporters for the first time since 247Sports published an explosive article calling the culture in the program "a disaster" last week.

Jones called the report "untrue" Tuesday, adamantly defending his program's health.

"I understand that there was an article that came out with many unnamed sources, and I don't stand for anybody attacking our football program because it's untrue. It's very, very unfortunate. I take that personal. I know our players take it personal and everyone in our football family takes it personal. There are so many positive things going on here with our players. You look at recruiting right now, that's a by-product of our players being our best ambassadors."

report noted Tennessee's strength and conditioning issues, the litany of midseason departures — Preston Williams, Jalen Hurd and Danny O'Brien — and rumored staff unrest, culminating into a cultural problem.

Travis Haney's report anonymously quoted numerous sources inside the program, and while the story touched on a slew of topics addressed previously by other outlets, the compilation of hits enraged many in Tennessee's football program.

"You look how far we've come in the program," Jones said.

"Have we had some setbacks this year? Absolutely. But I think this football team has overcome a lot of obstacles and adversities. And that's really when you find out about people is in adverse times and adverse situations, and how do they respond?

"Again, it's very, very unfortunate, but I'm never going to let anybody attack our football program that doesn't know our football program that doesn't know our football program."

jbcarol

ALLVOL

Without question this is the worst reason to ever miss a game. With all the help these guys have available to them, it baffles me that this happens as much as it does.