Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Masters

Started by Hog66, February 23, 2024, 12:13:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

No fireworks this year.  He's running away with it.

hogbud

Brilliant throat stomping closing round by Scottie. Major fold jobs by other top ranked players. Pace of play is horrid with psychotherapy sessions between players and caddies on each shot.         TV viewership down
15 percent this year and this weekend likely didn't help.
Golf needs a Caitlyn Clark...though Scottie's accomplishments more impressive.

PonderinHog

Just don't five putt...

Hog66

The only thing I don't like about the Masters is that for many three times a year hackers it's their signal to get out and play their first round of the year.  Nutters was packed and the pace of play was terrible.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hog66 on April 15, 2024, 09:48:15 amThe only thing I don't like about the Masters is that for many three times a year hackers it's their signal to get out and play their first round of the year.  Nutters was packed and the pace of play was terrible.

haha
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hogbud

TV ratings in for this years Masters and reflect a sharp decline from 2023 when Rahm's victory captured 12 million viewers. Scottie's win only captured 9 million despite a decent leaderboard. Worst ratings since 2020 covid year. Masters committee prob pushing PGA to figure this out.

oldman1015

Quote from: hogbud on Yesterday at 12:42:56 pmTV ratings in for this years Masters and reflect a sharp decline from 2023 when Rahm's victory captured 12 million viewers. Scottie's win only captured 9 million despite a decent leaderboard. Worst ratings since 2020 covid year. Masters committee prob pushing PGA to figure this out.
Dumb question but could the amount of people cutting the cord have anything to do with it? I'm old and I have within the last year. If you're streaming do they know?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogbud on Yesterday at 12:42:56 pmTV ratings in for this years Masters and reflect a sharp decline from 2023 when Rahm's victory captured 12 million viewers. Scottie's win only captured 9 million despite a decent leaderboard. Worst ratings since 2020 covid year. Masters committee prob pushing PGA to figure this out.

McIlroy nailed it.  The continued battle between the PGA Tour and LIV is hurting golf across the board, not just the Masters.  The Phoenix Open was down 35%, the Players was down 10%, and the PGA Tour as a whole has decreased 20% this year.

Fans choose how they want to spend their time and money, and not as many are interested in watered down fields in tournaments and on TV.

The solution is simple.  Drop the bans and let everyone play all tours. 

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on Yesterday at 02:29:41 pmMcIlroy nailed it.  The continued battle between the PGA Tour and LIV is hurting golf across the board, not just the Masters.  The Phoenix Open was down 35%, the Players was down 10%, and the PGA Tour as a whole has decreased 20% this year.

Fans choose how they want to spend their time and money, and not as many are interested in watered down fields in tournaments and on TV.

The solution is simple.  Drop the bans and let everyone play all tours.

Exactly. I'm not a fan of the LIV but if a LIV player wants to play in a PGA tourney, he should be allowed to. And vice versa.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

GolfNut57

Quote from: MikePiazza on Yesterday at 03:10:48 pmExactly. I'm not a fan of the LIV but if a LIV player wants to play in a PGA tourney, he should be allowed to. And vice versa.

That will never happen at this point.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

EastexHawg

Quote from: GolfNut57 on Yesterday at 04:53:35 pmThat will never happen at this point.

Apparently the people running the PGA Tour are willing to go down with the ship.  Even McIlroy, who has been one of the most vocal PGAT loyalists and critics of LIV, can see the iceberg and wants to avoid it. 

Tour administration?  "Full speed ahead!"

East TN HAWG

Quote from: MikePiazza on Yesterday at 03:10:48 pmExactly. I'm not a fan of the LIV but if a LIV player wants to play in a PGA tourney, he should be allowed to. And vice versa.
This will not happen.  There is a big misconception that LIV players as a whole want to play in PGA events.  Adam Scott was recently (in last month) having a dinner with a LIV caddie. This conversation was major topic in Miami two weeks ago.  Adam asked "If LIV is so great, then why do the players want to come back?"   The caddie's response was they don't. 

Other than the young players, LIV players would only like to play in the Memorial, Players and maybe a home event, an event they have deep relationship with for whatever reason. Allowing them to play would not move needle on most events. 

Secondly, why would LIV want to help the PGA with ratings? If the two leagues are competing, there is no incentive for LIV players to do that.