Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

99.9% chance that Cutcliffe is gone - what now?

Started by whatsshakinbacon, November 21, 2005, 12:36:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsshakinbacon

The Tennessean is now reporting that the details are all but ironed out in the Cutcliffe deal.  See link.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051121/SPORTS0601/511210364/1035

What is our backup plan?  Wittke?

Bacon out...

razorback4life

Calvin N Hawgs

jabohog

I'm betting the only changes you see is maybe the addition of Malzahn. May be one asst let go, or found another job.

PiggyBack

Whitke will be "named."  Noting will change.  Hogs win 6-7 games.  Houston gets lots of praise.  Mediocrity stays.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: PiggyBack on November 21, 2005, 12:40:01 pm
Whitke will be "named." Noting will change. Hogs win 6-7 games. Houston gets lots of praise. Mediocrity stays.

That's what I'm hearing, but pseudo has good insight too - what are you hearing rabies man?

Bacon out...

razorback4life

I think Wittke will move on...Most likely it will be his choice to do so.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 12:42:57 pm

Makes sense - apparently a rift is there between he and Nutt.  How could he ever trust HDN to turn over anything to him?

Bacon out...

razorback4life

Yep...And don't forget about how Markuson fits into that situation.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 12:45:06 pm
Yep...And don't forget about how Markuson fits into that situation.

So where are we going with this pseudo?  What names are being floated? 

Bacon out...

PorcineSublime

I am not even sure of Gus. We may go into next year with the staff intact. :puke:
I must admit that I am amazed to the point of being almost speechless that HDN get through this so easily. Never has anyone in the history of the program gotten past back to back years of losing seasons, yet here he is on the brink of sliding by. He must have pictures of someone naked with someone they shouldn't be with.  :-\
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

razorback4life

Uncertain at the moment....But I agree with what someone else stated here.  I don't think there will be even close to as many changes as most of us hope there will be.  Houston will do everything possible not to lose control of the playcalling.

PiggyBack

Quote from: PorcineSublime on November 21, 2005, 12:47:42 pm
I am not even sure of Gus. We may go into next year with the staff intact. :puke:
I must admit that I am amazed to the point of being almost speechless that HDN get through this so easily. Never has anyone in the history of the program gotten past back to back years of losing seasons, yet here he is on the brink of sliding by. He must have pictures of someone naked with someone they shouldn't be with. :-\

Broyles with Lindsey?
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

razorback4life

Never has anyone in the history of the program gotten past back to back years of losing seasons, yet here he is on the brink of sliding by.

It has happened before...you just have to go back to the late 30s and early 40s when Frank Thomsen was the coach.  I believe he had 4 losing seasons.

SonOfMud

A OC next year?  What a joke.  If HDN is the coach next year, there will NOT be a true OC.  HDN thinks he is a genius on par with Spurrier.  HDN will not give up that kind of control, and if he is forced to do so?  He will either walk or take over playcalling during close games, which will be almost every game next year. 
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

razorback4life

One thing everyone needs to remember is if most of the staff remains intact....To me there should be no excuse when we don't have a great recruiting class.

whatsshakinbacon

...I must admit that I am amazed to the point of being almost speechless that HDN get through this so easily...

I can't believe that this would be the case.  I'm just biding my time until Saturday/Sunday when any announcements would be made.  If nothing, then I think new fall-time hobbies are in order.

Bacon out...

razorback4life

If you are waiting for the announcement on who the HC will be next year...I can save you some time.  Nutt will be here next year.

Tusks

I've been trying on the boards I read to bet anyone $5 that there will be little or no staff changes.  I don't count Danny.  He coaches well and I actually like him...but I guess some health problems might move him out.

Defense doesn't count either, but on the O there will NOT be a new OC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 01:00:20 pm
If you are waiting for the announcement on who the HC will be next year...I can save you some time. Nutt will be here next year.

I fear that to be true.  And I fear that the ONLY offensive change will be replacing Wittke with Malzahn as the "Passing Game Coordinator".  Nutt keeps everything the same.  The only other change may be that the Danny Nutt going to admin thing is true, and we'll have to find a new RB coach.

If that is all that our coach changes, then I will be shocked if our team next year has a winning record.

Bacon out...

jabohog

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 12:58:14 pm
One thing everyone needs to remember is if most of the staff remains intact....To me there should be no excuse when we don't have a great recruiting class.
What you and I define as great recruiting classes isn't necessarily what the spin machine's definition is. If you listen to it, it will be great. I wish there was some laid out objectives so that everyone would have something to gauge by. Right know it just seems to still be the "fly by the seat of your pants" strategy.

mbgrulz

i dont understand how we can say that heath is on the hotseat this year, when nutt has done nothing for our FB program. we're still in the same place we have always been. pretty decent and can beat a good team occasionally. heath won 75% of his games last year and shows all signs that he is running a program on the rise. yet nutt gets a year or two pass at letting arkansas be a Hersey stain in the SEC's underpants. why is that?

razorback4life

Quote from: mbgrulz on November 21, 2005, 01:08:10 pm
i dont understand how we can say that heath is on the hotseat this year, when nutt has done nothing for our FB program. we're still in the same place we have always been. pretty decent and can beat a good team occasionally. heath won 75% of his games last year and shows all signs that he is running a program on the rise. yet nutt gets a year or two pass at letting arkansas be a Hersey stain in the SEC's underpants. why is that?

Although I do not agree with retaining Nutt for another year....I can say that he did do want we wanted and needed him to do here.  He jumpstarted this program gave it the spark it desperately needed.  I believe he took this program as far as he could and should not have been retained after the 2003 season.  I will never forget that season as long as I live and will continue to remember it as the "What could have been" season.

GrizzledHogFan

Here's an excerpt from "Bulldogs continue hapless streak" by Harry King (Arkansas News Bureau).  It discusses Cutcliffe and Roy Wittke as possible OC's.

It has been clear for weeks that only an embarrassing loss to Mississippi State could jeopardize Nutt's job. He and athletic director Frank Broyles will meet in the days after Friday's season finale at LSU and the position of offensive coordinator will be discussed.

For a few weeks, there has been talk of hiring former Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe - mentor of Peyton and Eli Manning - but Cutcliffe may return to Tennessee where Vanderbilt turned up the heat on Phil Fulmer on Saturday.

If Nutt decides to try and convince Broyles that quarterbacks coach Roy Wittke is qualified to be offensive coordinator, his sales pitch will be laced with the development of true freshman Casey Dick and heavy with highlights from the past two weeks.

Promoting Wittke also would reduce turnover, something that would please Nutt, although it is not clear whether Wittke has had an increased role in the play-calling in recent weeks.

Other circumstances also could be in play. Murray State coach Joe Pannunzio was fired Friday after his sixth team finished 2-9. Nutt won two Ohio Valley Conference championships at Murray and could put in a good word for somebody. And, Broyles has some clout when inclined.

Before arriving at Arkansas in 2003, Wittke was at Eastern Illinois for 13 years and might be considered if head coach Bob Spoo decides to step down after 19 years.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

razorback4life

Quote from: gmb_79 on November 21, 2005, 01:26:08 pm
Here's an excerpt from "Bulldogs continue hapless streak" by Harry King (Arkansas News Bureau).  It discusses Cutcliffe and Roy Wittke as possible OC's.

It has been clear for weeks that only an embarrassing loss to Mississippi State could jeopardize Nutt's job. He and athletic director Frank Broyles will meet in the days after Friday's season finale at LSU and the position of offensive coordinator will be discussed.

For a few weeks, there has been talk of hiring former Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe - mentor of Peyton and Eli Manning - but Cutcliffe may return to Tennessee where Vanderbilt turned up the heat on Phil Fulmer on Saturday.

If Nutt decides to try and convince Broyles that quarterbacks coach Roy Wittke is qualified to be offensive coordinator, his sales pitch will be laced with the development of true freshman Casey Dick and heavy with highlights from the past two weeks.

Promoting Wittke also would reduce turnover, something that would please Nutt, although it is not clear whether Wittke has had an increased role in the play-calling in recent weeks.

Other circumstances also could be in play. Murray State coach Joe Pannunzio was fired Friday after his sixth team finished 2-9. Nutt won two Ohio Valley Conference championships at Murray and could put in a good word for somebody. And, Broyles has some clout when inclined.

Before arriving at Arkansas in 2003, Wittke was at Eastern Illinois for 13 years and might be considered if head coach Bob Spoo decides to step down after 19 years.

Link please

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 01:31:16 pm
Here's an excerpt from "Bulldogs continue hapless streak" by Harry King (Arkansas News Bureau). It discusses Cutcliffe and Roy Wittke as possible OC's.

Link please

http://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/archive/2005/11/20/HarryKing/331086.html
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

razorback4life

Nutt is trying to convince the wrong person.  I think it would be easier to convince Broyles than it would Wittke about that though.  And YES Wittke is very qualified for that job.

hogsanity

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 21, 2005, 12:36:17 pm
The Tennessean is now reporting that the details are all but ironed out in the Cutcliffe deal. See link.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051121/SPORTS0601/511210364/1035

What is our backup plan? Wittke?

Bacon out...

OH NO WE CANT GET CUTCLIFF?  He was THE ONLY OC in the world.  What will we do?  Well, IF Whitke is going to stay, then he would not be a bad choice for HDN.  However, WHitke may not be good enough for the powers that be. 

My guess would be, wait til the season is over, then see who may be available.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Donald Miller

What now?  How about addressing the real problem which is the head coach?  It's time to cut bait and move on.  Unless you can hire Norm Chow, then we're just postponing the inevitable.  Get rid of him now.  He's proven he cannot be a consistent winner, get rid of him and get someone qualified in here to run this program.

Kevin

there will be no forced changes next year.  we have a two game winning streak, everything is back to normal on the hill.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

whatsshakinbacon

BTW - I heard boos yesterday in the Tennessee Titans game when the offense sputtered.  I, like the fans, was not impressed with Chow's NFL package.  I'd love to see him return to the college ranks at Arkansas, but that aint gonna happen.

Bacon out...

whatsshakinbacon

BTW 2 - the .1% chance that Cut would come to Arkansas would be if Tennessee can get Al Borges.  Apparently there is some movement to buy him away from Auburn.  Stay tuned but not expectant.

Bacon out...

Donald Miller

November 21, 2005, 02:20:37 pm #32 Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 02:22:13 pm by Donald Miller
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 21, 2005, 02:14:54 pm
BTW 2 - the .1% chance that Cut would come to Arkansas would be if Tennessee can get Al Borges. Apparently there is some movement to buy him away from Auburn. Stay tuned but not expectant.

Bacon out...

Let's buy Tuberville and get a professional in here instead of a guy who owns a karaoke machine and a Mr. Microphone.

DisplacedHogFan

There are major conflicting stories on Cutcliffe...the TN newspapers are all reporting the deal to be done, but people VERY close to the program at UofA are saying "not so fast my friend". I don't know who to believe anymore, but I guess we'll all find out in about a week or so...

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2005, 02:36:22 pm
Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on November 21, 2005, 02:34:37 pm
There are major conflicting stories on Cutcliffe...the TN newspapers are all reporting the deal to be done, but people VERY close to the program at UofA are saying "not so fast my friend". I don't know who to believe anymore, but I guess we'll all find out in about a week or so...

I don't believe anything coming out of the UofA. I think they are generally hoodwinked easily these days.

Like I said, it will be interesting to see who is correct on this. Some very connected people at the UofA are reporting Cut to UofA is all but a done deal....Tenn is reporting the same. The most interesting part of this football season may just be the post season!  ;D

razorback4life

It is very unlikely that Cutcliffe will be here next year.

Cajun Hog

The Tennessean is now reporting that the details are all but ironed out in the Cutcliffe deal. See link.

Bacon out...

A NFL Assistant is being looked at for the OC spot.

Donald Miller

Quote from: Creole Hog on November 21, 2005, 03:06:04 pm

Bacon out...

Word is that it's Chow.  I just can't fathom how we could pull him from the Titans.......if we have to endure Nutt, he's the best option that's for sure. 

Boner

Quote from: Donald Miller on November 21, 2005, 04:12:53 pm

Bacon out...

Word is that it's Chow. I just can't fathom how we could pull him from the Titans.......if we have to endure Nutt, he's the best option that's for sure.

I hope i'm wrong, but i just know i'm not.  Norm Chow will not be our OC next year.  Neither will Cutcliffe.

I swear Nutt is running around telling the homer media who HIS top choices are for OC.  And of course no one is bothering to ask if these coaches are actually interested.  People just say, "so and so" is the frontrunner for the job because that was was leaked out of Nutt's camp.

Then, at the end of the day, Nutt can claaim that he went after the best OC's available (Cut and Chow) and just struck out, and he will continue "calling a lot of good plays today."

Cajun Hog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 21, 2005, 12:43:47 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 12:42:57 pm

Makes sense - apparently a rift is there between he and Nutt. How could he ever trust HDN to turn over anything to him?

Bacon out...
He has issues with Markuson and his inability to teach pass blocking or always needing MAX protection.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Boner on November 21, 2005, 04:22:00 pm
Quote from: Donald Miller on November 21, 2005, 04:12:53 pm

Bacon out...

Word is that it's Chow. I just can't fathom how we could pull him from the Titans.......if we have to endure Nutt, he's the best option that's for sure.

I hope i'm wrong, but i just know i'm not. Norm Chow will not be our OC next year. Neither will Cutcliffe.

I swear Nutt is running around telling the homer media who HIS top choices are for OC. And of course no one is bothering to ask if these coaches are actually interested. People just say, "so and so" is the frontrunner for the job because that was was leaked out of Nutt's camp.

Then, at the end of the day, Nutt can claaim that he went after the best OC's available (Cut and Chow) and just struck out, and he will continue "calling a lot of good plays today."

Ding, Ding, we have ourselves a winner, now Bob, tell him what he's won. 
Thanks Jim, today we have a relatively weak football team with a guy who barely got it done at the d-2 level for a coach and the walking dead for an AD, and a slum lord who is running the football team in the ground for our first prize winner.  for the rest of our contestants, we have some nice parting gifts.  Remember to control the pet population and get your pets spayed or neutered. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Boner

Quote from: ConwayHog on November 21, 2005, 04:32:53 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 21, 2005, 01:02:32 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 01:00:20 pm
If you are waiting for the announcement on who the HC will be next year...I can save you some time. Nutt will be here next year.

I fear that to be true. And I fear that the ONLY offensive change will be replacing Wittke with Malzahn as the "Passing Game Coordinator". Nutt keeps everything the same. The only other change may be that the Danny Nutt going to admin thing is true, and we'll have to find a new RB coach.

If that is all that our coach changes, then I will be shocked if our team next year has a winning record.

Bacon out...

Can we please get Madre Hill to coach RB's if Danny goes to administration?

Why would he want to make a lateral move.  Who would you rather learn from, Nutt or Spurrier?

brooks74

We have much more talent at the RB position.  That would be the only motivation I could see.  If he comes here, he is going to look good as the coach of McFadden, Jones, Hillis, etc. and that could lead to a OC job somewhere

Biggus Piggus

These pseudo-reporter gorks like Otis keep getting burned by their source, HDN, who plays them like a fiddle.

Their stupidity is trusting him.
[CENSORED]!

Cntxhogs88

Borges is staying at Auburn, and Fat Phil looking for a familiar
face to get him out of this mess (DC is THAT guy)....FP is lucky that his late 90's
run at Tennessee is still in the minds of the Vol faithful, or he
would be gone....

that is crazy when you think about it..you win a National Title in 1998,
top 10 finish in 1999, bowl games every year since Moses returned
the Jews to the homeland...and still on the hot seat....

If this is the case, HDN should have been fired 2 years ago...

tophawg19

name and link please . wittke could get the job done if nutt would leave him alone to run the offense .without markuson's input either
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

NEAHAWG

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 12:37:18 pm
I don't think that Wittke is an option.
Houston is pushing for Witke, and if not him Markuson.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: NEAHAWG on November 21, 2005, 08:03:46 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on November 21, 2005, 12:37:18 pm
I don't think that Wittke is an option.
Houston is pushing for Witke, and if not him Markuson.
Great, I was just thinking the other day: "We need more max protect". Surely Dale is not that stupid.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

wacohog

1st we were going to get a new coach , then we were going to get a complete staff turnover, then we were going to get Cutcliff, then we weren't but we were getting someone else, then we were having less turnover of coaches, and now Markuson is going to be OC?

I'm getting vertigo

whatsshakinbacon

Ever start a thread and wish in the end that you hadn't a started it?

Bacon out...