Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCLA's Ben Howland:Official Thread, All Thoughts, Discussion Here Please

Started by mmhogs17, March 19, 2011, 12:12:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog75

Quote from: jbcarol on March 19, 2011, 07:04:43 pm
N.Y.Times: "I'm going to give Sidney Moncrief the biggest charley horse of his life at the get-go!"

That is a great article!  Does anyone else see a similarity in the intensity of the preparation to CBP?  Intelligence!  Just add NOISE and STIR!  WPS!  HIRE HOWLAND!  Hey, he at least is past throwing up all over himself!

TheHawgFan

I understand that Howland has been interested for some time and Long likes him as well. BUT I also undertand that only One of the 5 recruits will play for him.

Not a players coach and we've had too much experience with that already.

!

Hog75

Quote from: TheHawgFan on March 20, 2011, 10:08:41 am
I understand that Howland has been interested for some time and Long likes him as well. BUT I also undertand that only One of the 5 recruits will play for him.

Not at all intending to argue rather just don't understand what "player's coach" means?  Wasn't HDN a player's coach?  Isn't CBP known for letting a player know that if he can't execute that assignment there's someone on the sideline who believes he can?  That some of the most fun stuff is watching these kids put it all on the line to compete for a job?  What is the expectation expressed by the phrase player's coach? 

ChicoHog

I think in basketball it is more used a term where the coach "let's the player's play" and runs much fewer designed set plays.  In football everything is a designed play.  Anderson bascially has no half court offense and it is very free lance system, which is somewhat common these days with the dribble drive offense.  All dependent on the quality of the point guard being able to take his man off the dribble, penetrate and and find open man.  Howland also demands defensive priniciple similar to Sutton, more of a deny the ball and play straight up solid man to man defense vs a lot of trapping which is high risk, high reward type defense.  Howland will prepare you more for the pros but Anderson's system is more fun to play for the 19 year old kids. 

porkerfinger

All things being equal, Howland's style would serve you better in the NCAA tournament.  The pace tends to slow down, and you need to be sound in the half-court on both ends.

gatecrasher

Where are you folks getting this nonsense from?

Just because Howland coached at Pitt under Long doesn't mean he is a candidate.

Anderson
Self

There are your two candidates at the moment. Not saying that Howland couldn't be, although it's a little far-fetched.

Hog75

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 20, 2011, 11:06:51 am
I think in basketball it is more used a term where the coach "let's the player's play" and runs much fewer designed set plays.  In football everything is a designed play.  Anderson bascially has no half court offense and it is very free lance system, which is somewhat common these days with the dribble drive offense.  All dependent on the quality of the point guard being able to take his man off the dribble, penetrate and and find open man.  Howland also demands defensive priniciple similar to Sutton, more of a deny the ball and play straight up solid man to man defense vs a lot of trapping which is high risk, high reward type defense.  Howland will prepare you more for the pros but Anderson's system is more fun to play for the 19 year old kids.

Outstanding response.  Thanks.  +1.  I remember Beck and Edney for UCLA.  Two great players.  I also remember a lot of Razorback point guards over the last decade or so that were out of control way too often at crucial times.  I agree that the individually creative system is more fun to watch but sometimes you wish there was a little control and discipline out there.  especially at crunch time - those giveaways at 14:52 of the first half aren't the ones that haunt us.

BenDial

Quote from: gatecrasher on March 20, 2011, 11:18:16 am

Anderson
Self

There are your two candidates at the moment. Not saying that Howland couldn't be, although it's a little far-fetched.

Sources outside of Arkansas reported it first.

gatecrasher

Those sources smoke crack then.....

Right now rumors are Anderson is either about to be, or been offered the job.
As far as I'm concerned they are all rumors, including the report on CBSSports.com.

Until I either hear from one of my media friends (the ONLY ones I trust as far as all the him-haw being thrown around; I haven't heard a peep from them), or until I see a presser announcing him as our new coach, it's all rumor to me....

BenDial

Quote from: gatecrasher on March 20, 2011, 12:15:21 pm
Those sources smoke crack then.....

Right now rumors are Anderson is either about to be, or been offered the job.
As far as I'm concerned they are all rumors, including the report on CBSSports.com.

Until I either hear from one of my media friends (the ONLY ones I trust as far as all the him-haw being thrown around; I haven't heard a peep from them), or until I see a presser announcing him as our new coach, it's all rumor to me....

I'm sure the rumors about Anderson and Long trying to hammer out a deal are very true. Way too much smoke, but I would be willing to bet that he wasn't the coach that interested in the job. Other coaches have/had interest.

COACHINTEXAS

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

DoubleJ

Yes it does, but it is a pipe dream.

forrest city joe

idiot kicker

much do not want.  try again 

GuvHog

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on March 20, 2011, 02:04:40 pm
Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Do you have some inside information on Howland that you'd like to share with us??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

I would love Ben Howland but he hasn't the slightest interest in leaving U.C.L.A. and the Pacific 12 conference for any job other than a NBA gig..
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

discombobulationist

Quote from: gatecrasher on March 20, 2011, 11:18:16 am

Anderson
Self

And Self isn't far-fetched???
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pm
ISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

imisswarrenlinn

Self told ron crawford that there was no chance he would take ua job so rule him out completely. That being said, I would make howland turn me down before setting anything with mike in stone. I feel like he probably would, but he did flirt with depaul opening last year
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

gatecrasher

Let me rephrase what I said. Anderson and Self are LONG'S top two choices...

This from a family friend with ties to the program. Again, whether we get either is the question.

Pig Worshipper

Regarding Howland just being an unsubstantiated rumor, I don't know if he was just pulling our legs, but Lanny had an earlier post that seemed to suggest the rumor has legs. Howland would be the dream hire in my book.

hogtheball

Quote from: TheHawgFan on March 20, 2011, 10:08:41 am

I'm calling TOTAL BS on this one! (like everybody doesn't already know).  So you have an inside track into the minds of the 5 recruits as to which of the 10 or so coaching prospects they would/wouldn't play for.   Any kid who was willing to sign with Pel would be an idiot not to play for Howland.  Geez, the guy's middle name is Final 4. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Khallos

Porkatarian ("The Eternally Vague One") has said that Howland's interest is sincere.

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 20, 2011, 06:09:54 pm
While there was some flirtation with Self, and Howland's interest is sincere, I still believe it's going to be Coach Anderson.  I've been out of pocket for most of the day, but I have heard that Jim Lindsey and his croonies are fighting this kicking and screaming b/c Big Jim feels like hiring Anderson would be a slap in Frank's face.  The good news is the GOBN has little to no power left.

Porkatarian out...

WATER HOG

SuperSid32

1.  To the best of anybody's knowledge, does anybody feel that Ben Howland is legitimately interested in our position?

2.  If this is the case how could we not be going to the end of the line to hire him?

jbcarol

Bruins Nation: The Pressure & Stress Level on Howland's UCLA Program Remain High

QuoteThe Florida loss should hurt. It should sting.

This loss should burn and eat up all the current Bruins inside if they have a sense of pride and understanding of the tradition that goes along with UCLA basketball.

Many here are feeling good about a second round loss. For their sake we hope the coaches, players and this entire program is left with the same stinging feelings, that burned Ed O'Bannon and his Bruins following tough losses in 1993 and 1994 NCAA tournaments.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Smithian

I wish I hadn't gotten excited over this. Looks like it was a Hogville thing.

RazorHog92

That we're going to get Ben Howland, let me ask a question. What makes you think that we are going to hire a coach who is currently coaching one of the most storied programs in the nation, who also has almost his entire team back, who is bringing in two 5 star transfers, and is living in LA no less. I also want to mention that Howland is a west coast guy. So seriously, what makes any of you believe he would want to come here or more importantly leave the gig he has?

Kenny Dowell Loggains

the same people who thought bill self was a viable option.

HF#1

There are rumors he's shown interest in Arkansas.  Would he come here?  I don't know.  But his people have "reached out" apparently.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorHog92

So why do we keep talking about it? Go on the UCLA board, they think it's a joke. Just because he was a 7 seed means nothing. Their fans are far more subdued but they do think we have no chance. No one else has reported it either. We seriously need to realize that this search will most likely come down to Coach Williams, Coach Marshall, and Coach Smart. If we were smart we would go and interview Coach Turgeon.

RazorHog92

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 21, 2011, 10:07:13 pm
There are rumors he's shown interest in Arkansas.  Would he come here?  I don't know.  But his people have "reached out" apparently.
What people? who are his people? Please I would like to know, or is this just BS.

mavrck

Yeah a coach like that would NEVER come here. That's as crazy as thinking we could hire Bobby Petrino as a football coach. Oh wait..........

RazorHog92

Quote from: mavrck on March 21, 2011, 10:13:42 pm
Yeah a coach like that would NEVER come here. That's as crazy as thinking we could hire Bobby Petrino as a football coach. Oh wait..........
There is a huge difference between the two. Petrino jumped around beforehand and was on his way out at Atlanta. Howland has been at UCLA for a long time and again is a West Coast guy.

HF#1

Mike Anderson has instructed Sexton to get the deal done and wants to be announced on Tuesday as head coach at Arkansas.  Long is slow playing the negotiations all the while Missouri is putting together a raise and an extension for Anderson, wanting him to sign it now.  If we lose Anderson it will be spun as a Sexton faux paus however it will actually be because Long has not gotten deal completed.  If we are to sign Anderson is must be done now.
Others that have called about job are Pitino, Buzz Williams, Mike Brey, and Ben Howland.

This was posted earlier...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ESS

March 21, 2011, 10:21:21 pm #134 Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:28:25 pm by ESS
Along those same lines, let me ask this question?  How does a radio DJ in Little Rock(does not work for 103.7) claim to know who the new basketball coach is and that he posted that on his facebook site? 

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: mavrck on March 21, 2011, 10:13:42 pm

Wished that was true, but night and day difference. Petrino couldn't get out of Atlanta fast enough, and wanted to coach at the college level again. It makes absolutely zero common sense to think Howland wants to leave the West Coast and come to Arkansas. Wouldn't there be gaps with recruiting relationships in this area if this somehow happened? If he has mentioned our job, it is to get an extension and a raise. I don't claim to have sources, but if I did they would be saying no way this happens.

The Boar War

Quote from: RazorHog92 on March 21, 2011, 10:02:57 pm
That we're going to get Ben Howland, let me ask a question. What makes you think that we are going to hire a coach who is currently coaching one of the most storied programs in the nation, who also has almost his entire team back, who is bringing in two 5 star transfers, and is living in LA no less. I also want to mention that Howland is a west coast guy. So seriously, what makes any of you believe he would want to come here or more importantly leave the gig he has?

Who knows what might cause someone to want a change?  I personally don't think he's coming but several different members of the media have claimed that he's expressed interest.  At the very least you (Jeff Long) guage that interest to see if he's looking for a raise or if he needs a change of scenery.

If he had things rolling like Self does then it would be a lot easier to dismiss it.  But the heat is growing in Los Angeles and he was thinking about the Depaul job last year.  If you are thinking that your future looks bleak you can make a preemptive strike ala Tubby Smith and leave the power house.  If Arkansas is open it's a heck of a better job than Minnesota or Depaul.

tolerati

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 21, 2011, 10:16:58 pm
Mike Anderson has instructed Sexton to get the deal done and wants to be announced on Tuesday as head coach at Arkansas.  Long is slow playing the negotiations all the while Missouri is putting together a raise and an extension for Anderson, wanting him to sign it now.  If we lose Anderson it will be spun as a Sexton faux paus however it will actually be because Long has not gotten deal completed.  If we are to sign Anderson is must be done now.
Others that have called about job are Pitino, Buzz Williams, Mike Brey, and Ben Howland.

This was posted earlier...
Interesting... So if this is true..we should know something for sure either way by tomorrow.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

jry04

Quote from: RazorHog92 on March 21, 2011, 10:08:44 pm
So why do we keep talking about it? Go on the UCLA board, they think it's a joke. Just because he was a 7 seed means nothing. Their fans are far more subdued but they do think we have no chance. No one else has reported it either. We seriously need to realize that this search will most likely come down to Coach Williams, Coach Marshall, and Coach Smart. If we were smart we would go and interview Coach Turgeon.
Nobody? You might want to rethink that. Gottlieb said over a month ago when he said Arkansas was coming open that Howland could be in the mix. Sports by Brooks has also mentioned it. Howland interviewed for the Depaul job. If he at least talks to them, I don't think it is far fetched to think he would talk to us.

jkstock04

The funniest part of this is "west coast guy" why would he want to come here?  So many of our fanbase are OBSESSED with the idea of us getting someone with ties to the program...or at least region....and think that nothing else could be a possibility. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 21, 2011, 10:46:40 pm
The funniest part of this is "west coast guy" why would he want to come here?  So many of our fanbase are OBSESSED with the idea of us getting someone with ties to the program...or at least region....and think that nothing else could be a possibility. 

Usually having ties to the region is a plus when it comes to recruiting. The funny thing is thinking a guy would leave the winningest program of all time to come to a program that has fallen so far from the glory days. And if the heat is on in LA to win, don't you think he knows it gets even hotter in Arkansas when a coach doesn't win?

SpineHog

This may be an out-of-the blue theory, but did Howland tell us 'No' tonight?  Or put himself monetarily out of reach?

It's odd, all these mods hinting that negotiations with MA may be heating up tonight comes within an hour or so of Arkansas media members finding out that Buzz's buyout is 3.5mil.  It's like Long's #1 and #2 suddenly became out of reach so he's left to choose between Mike and Greg Marshall... and Long's now shooting for Mike.

The Boar War

Quote from: RehabHog on March 21, 2011, 11:11:36 pm
This may be an out-of-the blue theory, but did Howland tell us 'No' tonight?  Or put himself monetarily out of reach?

It's odd, all these mods hinting that negotiations with MA may be heating up tonight comes within an hour or so of Arkansas media members finding out that Buzz's buyout is 3.5mil.  It's like Long's #1 and #2 suddenly became out of reach so he's left to choose between Mike and Greg Marshall... and Long's now shooting for Mike.

I'd like to believe that Long knew the buy out before it hit the Arkansas media.  I don't think he's talking to Williams until after he's out of the tournament anyway.  Apparently ESPN jumped the gun on the contract extension.  Maybe he will sign it but it hasn't happened yet. 

As far as Howland goes nobody is really paying attention.  But if he said no I would think we'd hear about it.  Nothing calms the fan base more than hearing that their coach turned down overtures from another team.  As long as we're dealing with out of the blue theories could the Mike contract extension and assumed offer be a smoke screen for us to negotiate with Howland.  No better way to disguise yourself in LA if you're supposed to be in Fayetteville or Missouri. 

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorHog92 on March 21, 2011, 10:15:55 pm
There is a huge difference between the two. Petrino jumped around beforehand and was on his way out at Atlanta. Howland has been at UCLA for a long time and again is a West Coast guy.

Howland isn't a West Coast guy, he's from the East coast. He didn't just express interest in the Arkansas job through his agent, he flat out threw his hat into the ring.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Boar War

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 21, 2011, 11:24:28 pm
Howland isn't a West Coast guy, he's from the East coast. He didn't just express interest in the Arkansas job through his agent, he flat out threw his hat into the ring.

Howland was born and raised in California.  Coached at Northern Arizona.  Then went to Pitt and returned to UCLA.

West coast aside I would like to see him as our next coach.

jcmojica23

I just do not see Howland coming here. UCLA is a better job than Arkansas and it has been for a long time

The Boar War

Quote from: jcmojica23 on March 21, 2011, 11:31:39 pm
I just do not see Howland coming here. UCLA is a better job than Arkansas and it has been for a long time

No one is arguing that point.  There's no denying that UCLA is the better job.  It's one of the elite five: Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and UCLA.  But happiness can be found at other schools.  If it's a choice between choosing your own destination or having a short leash and a possible termination in your future than there has to be some consideration.  Tubby Smith knew he wasn't meeting outlandish expectations at UK.  He chose his own path and went to Minnesota even though Kentucky is easily the better job.  It doesn't happen often but it has happened before.

freedomcounty

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 21, 2011, 11:24:28 pm

You're saying UCLA's head coach called Jeff Long personally? I'm assuming while his team was still in the tournament? Your sources are dynamite.

rnclittlerock