Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roast me all you want to here it goes......2 coaches and 2 ONLY

Started by jaredkr, October 22, 2017, 02:27:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jaredkr on October 22, 2017, 02:27:31 am

Gus or Sean Payton- Gus is still younger than Saban when he won his first ring. I'm not saying you can compare the two, but there is obviously a huge upside to Malzahn , but at least you get someone with a huge amount of potential and loves the state- That combination is hard to find.

Sean Payton imo is a name everyone should bring up. I really think this is it for him in NO unless they make the playoffs. I think he will be looking for a new start. I will say however, he will be the Dallas Cowboys coach next year if Garrett isn't -
Nah, we won't roast ya'. We've more than our belly full of that all season long. By now we're more than stuffed to the brim with roasts.

RedRock

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 22, 2017, 09:08:49 am
No Gus. Not now. Not ever. Never.
It seems there are several fans agree with this.  I am curious, why the dislike for Gus?

RebelliousHog

Quote from: RedRock on October 22, 2017, 07:36:52 pm
It seems there are several fans agree with this.  I am curious, why the dislike for Gus?

Go back and read the thread
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

rljjr

Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 22, 2017, 09:12:47 am
Why does everyone want a pro style coach on here? It seems like its a fraud at Arkansas. Sean Peyton really?!?!?! That's way out in left field there. None of these NFL guys are assured that work well with boosters. As for Gus there is too much divisiveness over things a decade ago for Long to ever hire him.

I want a specific college offense. It can be spread air raid, it can be RPO, and it can be triple option. However, I would like to never run pro style system at the University of Arkansas ever again. It is a fraud at our school. Its time to put that 6 feet under and forever.

Except for that pro style system that Petrino ran?

joeyself

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 22, 2017, 11:04:20 am
I would take Gus. He has won everywhere he has been.

Every coach creates division if they lose. Not hiring someone because some don't like him is weak.

Any coach that comes in ablnd wins united a fan base, even Gus.

If he is available he is way above any of the other candidates I have seen mentioned in this thread.

Just win baby!

This.

And my signature says I've been there all along.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

popcornhog

Gus or Sean Payton- Gus is still younger than Saban when he won his first ring. I'm not saying you can compare the two, but there is obviously a huge upside to Malzahn , but at least you get someone with a huge amount of potential and loves the state- That combination is hard to find.

Sean Payton imo is a name everyone should bring up. I really think this is it for him in NO unless they make the playoffs. I think he will be looking for a new start. I will say however, he will be the Dallas Cowboys coach next year if Garrett isn't -

The Saints are 4-2 atop the NFC South with a not total garbage defense. They're going to the playoffs.

Even if they weren't, why on earth would a Super Bowl champion coach randomly jump to a mid tier SEC college program? That makes zero sense.
WPS

jaredkr

Quote from: popcornhog on October 22, 2017, 09:09:59 pm
The Saints are 4-2 atop the NFC South with a not total garbage defense. They're going to the playoffs.

Even if they weren't, why on earth would a Super Bowl champion coach randomly jump to a mid tier SEC college program? That makes zero sense.

He has baggage stemming from the 2012 season. He may not have a ton of options at the PRO level.
I am Ray Finkel

Augustus

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 22, 2017, 04:49:47 pm
11-2 with a PRO Style Offense..

Also, had a 5-7 season at Arkansas. Never beat Bama. Couldn't win an SEC West Division, SEC Championship, or a BCS Bowl.

And... let's not even bring up his motorcycle.

But, keep on cherry picking stats that fit your agenda

hogfan870

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2017, 09:33:31 pm
Also, had a 5-7 season at Arkansas. Never beat Bama. Couldn't win an SEC West Division, SEC Championship, or a BCS Bowl.

And... let's not even bring up his motorcycle.

But, keep on cherry picking stats that fit your agenda

Not sure if this is serious. He was only here 4 years, and the 5-7 season was his first year. Never beat bama, west, sec, bcs bowl - you realize that we had never even been to a bcs bowl, we have never won the SEC and you can count the teams that have beat bama in that time frame on your fingers (probably one hand). This is just stupid.  If you offer his 4 years of records to our fan base for the next 4 years, everyone - everyone - would take it. There are very few schools that wouldn't

porkrindjimmy

Just read what Clay Travis Posted- Kiffin should get serious consideration

I heard Gus may have had a conversation yesterday.

If there is a change at the end of the year...and I still think there is a good chance there won't be......

1)Gus
2) Norvell
3)Leach
4)lil Timmy Horton

PRJ

Augustus

Quote from: hogfan870 on October 22, 2017, 09:46:50 pm
Not sure if this is serious. He was only here 4 years, and the 5-7 season was his first year. Never beat bama, west, sec, bcs bowl - you realize that we had never even been to a bcs bowl, we have never won the SEC and you can count the teams that have beat bama in that time frame on your fingers (probably one hand). This is just stupid.  If you offer his 4 years of records to our fan base for the next 4 years, everyone - everyone - would take it. There are very few schools that wouldn't

Are you kidding????

"Hey... your Team has the chance to go 5-7, 8-6, and OMG OMG OMG 10-2, 11-1 OMG OMG OMG!!!... but never win their Conference Division, never win their Conference Championship, or a BCS Bowl, or CFB Playoff, or National Championship...

The downside is of those two "GREAT" years... you have to endure a meltdown that results in a 6 year rebuild of your football program, and you still wouldn't have any idea what the future holds..."

yeah... I'm pretty sure most fans of any Team would pass. Those 2 season were fun, but personally, I wish the UofA never hired Bobby Petrino

elkhog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 22, 2017, 04:49:47 pm
11-2 with a PRO Style Offense..

Hear, hear.  But Arkansas burned that bridge and we ended up with the short straw.

Petrino wouldn't come back even if paid more.
GO HOGS!!!

elkhog

8-6, 10-2, 11-1 is winning, I don't care how you spin it.
GO HOGS!!!

riccoar

Quote from: RedRock on October 22, 2017, 07:36:52 pm
Lot's of Uncle Ricos on this board who were destined for greatness from 1996-2005.  So many dreamed championships dashed at the hands of Gus.  The sign of a guy who truly sucks, is the one who chalks it up losing to his opponent being a cheater rather than actually just being better.

hogcard1964

colbs

Just read what Clay Travis Posted- Kiffin should get serious consideration
Gus is a good coach and don't think he would be a bad option.  One thing that bothers me is it seems like he gets more credit than any other assistant for winning a ring.  I hear people all of the time say he's already won a NC.  While he deserves a lot of credit for that team I never hear Mullen's name get associated with 2 NCs.

Augustus, speaking of choosing points that fit your agenda, of course, you would never do that, right?

Two Points:  1.  I wouldn't want Petrino as my first choice for the Hog HC because of his defense and sometimes his teams don't show up ready to play mentally.  An example you might understand is that Arkansas never shows up mentally ready to play.  2.  During Petrino's 4 years coaching here, BAMA won the NC in 09, 10 and 12 and Auburn won it in 11.  Pretty difficult for typical middle type teams to go win SECW, SECC or NCs when your usual top teams are in the same division of the same conference.  Petrinos overall won/loss record at Arkansas is so much better than anyone else in the past 25 to 30 years.

Additionally, who could you name of coaches that might take the Arkansas job, that could go win the SECW, SECC or a NC within say the next 3 years, anyone who would take the job and do that.

Arkansas needs a solid, hungry, ego contained, Head Coach that has energy and intelligence to fight the battles with less than stellar talent much of the time.  Gus Malzahn more fits that mold than anyone else I can think of.  I would hope we would evaluate the group of up and comers that might work for us but never forget Malzahn.  In College football there are very few locations and head coaches that can win a NC.  Auburn and Gus Malzahn are one of each.  Arkansas is not likely to fit that mold with almost any coach.  It would take a very down year for the SEC and lots of outhouse luck with the right coach for Arkansas to win it all.  Give me a Guy who can win 8 and up and I would be satisfied.  Remember, that is better than our average for our schools history.

fademe

As an Auburn fan, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled that he'd be going to Arkansas, but I'd also be happy he's leaving. Right now, he's not well liked by the fan base, and IMO, rightly so. He's stubborn to a fault, he doesn't let his assistants do their jobs, his passing game is still pretty elementary, and he hasn't won a big game against a top-tier opponent since 2014. He sucks making second half adjustments (see LSU 2017), and his offenses have scored 25 total points in the second halves of our last 7 losses since 2016 (Clemson, aTm, UGA, Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, LSU).

I'd hate to have to face him once a year in a game that he'd likely put a lot of extra emphasis on, but he's an 8-win per year head coach with maybe a flash of greatness in him.

colbs

Quote from: 12247 on October 23, 2017, 08:13:34 am
Arkansas needs a solid, hungry, ego contained, Head Coach that has energy and intelligence to fight the battles with less than stellar talent much of the time.  Gus Malzahn more fits that mold than anyone else I can think of.  I would hope we would evaluate the group of up and comers that might work for us but never forget Malzahn.  In College football there are very few locations and head coaches that can win a NC.  Auburn and Gus Malzahn are one of each.  Arkansas is not likely to fit that mold with almost any coach.  It would take a very down year for the SEC and lots of outhouse luck with the right coach for Arkansas to win it all.  Give me a Guy who can win 8 and up and I would be satisfied.  Remember, that is better than our average for our schools history.
I'm on the fence with Gus.  He had a great first year and was a big part of their NC as an OC in 2010.  My concern is since his first year he hasn't won more than 8.  It's a lot easier to win at Auburn than Arkansas.  So if he's averaging 8 at Auburn can he match that at Arkansas.  His 4 year record was almost identical to Chizik's and Chizik won a NC.

Augustus

Quote from: 12247 on October 23, 2017, 08:03:55 am
Augustus, speaking of choosing points that fit your agenda, of course, you would never do that, right?

Two Points:  1.  I wouldn't want Petrino as my first choice for the Hog HC because of his defense and sometimes his teams don't show up ready to play mentally.  An example you might understand is that Arkansas never shows up mentally ready to play.  2.  During Petrino's 4 years coaching here, BAMA won the NC in 09, 10 and 12 and Auburn won it in 11.  Pretty difficult for typical middle type teams to go win SECW, SECC or NCs when your usual top teams are in the same division of the same conference.  Petrinos overall won/loss record at Arkansas is so much better than anyone else in the past 25 to 30 years.

Additionally, who could you name of coaches that might take the Arkansas job, that could go win the SECW, SECC or a NC within say the next 3 years, anyone who would take the job and do that.

First, yes... I'm guilty of it. Then again, I'm not the AD of the flagship University, that prides myself in being "Mr. Honor & Integrity"

To you second question: I would not expect any new Coach to come in, especially now with injuries & turnover that we will have going into 2018... and win a SECW, SECC, or NC within 3 years. 

Anyone expecting that needs to check themselves in a substance abuse treatment facility.

What I DO expect is... in year four:
1) Our defense to not allow an SEC record to be broken, for rushing yards in a regular season game
2) Not giving up a 17 point halftime lead, to a 3-8 Missouri team who was in the aftermath of a cultural meltdown
3) Not giving up a 24 point halftime lead in a bowl game, going scoreless in the 2nd half, and the defense allowing 35 points in the 2nd half for us to lose our bowl game by double digits
4) To have beaten Texas A&M at least once since they joined the conference

What I DO expect is... in year five:
1) I think you get the drift...

jwreynolds01

He is right about 2 and only 2.  If Bret is fired or resigns, you options will be Gus or Norvell.  No reason to discuss anyone else. On that note, Sean Payton is the dumbest name I have heard yet.

jwreynolds01

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pigmania on October 22, 2017, 11:10:02 am
If Bielema can't make it in the SEC, what makes you think Norvell can? I swear you guys are delusional.

Norvell does better recruiting.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jwreynolds01

2 more points and then I will be done for the day.
1.  Gus gets credit for the NC at Auburn because CheeseIck admitted he did not want Cam at all.  Gus drove that decision.
2.  There is no more elementary offense being run in the SEC right now than the Hogs.  Anything Gus would bring would be an improvement.
Bonus:  I like Bielema as a person.

USChog

I would take Gus for sure.

Not sure where the Sean Payton idea came from, but just let that fantasy die. Besides, I don't think he would make a good college coach. Been in the NFL too long, it is a different area.

oldhawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 22, 2017, 09:24:17 am

Top Up and Coming Coaches (That are not at destination jobs)

1. Scott Frost USF
2. Mike Norvelle Memphis
3. Ken Niumatalolo Navy
4. Jeff Brohm Purdue
5. Kevin Wilson UTSA
6. Neal Brown Troy
7. Bryan Harsin Boise State

Not sure I would agree with Ken Niumatalolo and Navy.  Yes, he could make more money at another school, but the school/athletics climate at Navy (and other Service Schools) could make it attractive enough to remain there a long time.  Plus Annapolis is not such a bad place to live.

GolfnHog

Quote from: jaredkr on October 22, 2017, 09:24:55 pm

He has baggage stemming from the 2012 season. He may not have a ton of options at the PRO level.

It's the NFL, sure he does. They have very short memories and it's all about the bottom line there. Well, the exception might be Cleveland but....
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"