Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spread Offenses in the SEC

Started by BBHog, February 25, 2018, 01:23:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BBHog

How many SEC head coaches who have been known as spread offense gurus have failed? Sumlin is probably the one who most fits the bill, although I wouldn't call him a failure.

I think CCM's offense is going to be a great equalizer for us much like Petrino's was. 

Farmer Hogget

I decided that I would watch some SMU football games from last year to see what Arkansas' offense may look like next year.  The Tulsa game is the first one I watched.  Geez!  It looked ugly.  There were some amazing plays and some really good highlights but, overall, the SMU offense struggled against a crappy Tulsa team.  And, from the offensive sets I saw, they didn't look much different that what Arkansas has shown the past 5 years.  The plays from those sets were different, of course, but many of them actually seemed more simplistic.  Perhaps that will help the offensive execution although, I don't think that has been Arkansas weak spot the last couple of years.  It's been the crappy defense that has really hurt the Hogs.  Anyway, I guess we'll just have to see if the talent difference here helps the CM offense look better.

BTW, his offense does not really feature a running QB.  I've heard a lot of discussion about needing  dual threat QB for the CM offense but, from what I've seen, that is not true.  His QB is a drop back pro-style QB.  I am going to watch more games to see but, from that one, other than the hurry up, the CM offense didn't really look super innovative to me.

Ā 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on February 25, 2018, 01:58:20 pm
I decided that I would watch some SMU football games from last year to see what Arkansas' offense may look like next year.  The Tulsa game is the first one I watched.  Geez!  It looked ugly.  There were some amazing plays and some really good highlights but, overall, the SMU offense struggled against a crappy Tulsa team.  And, from the offensive sets I saw, they didn't look much different that what Arkansas has shown the past 5 years.  The plays from those sets were different, of course, but many of them actually seemed more simplistic.  Perhaps that will help the offensive execution although, I don't think that has been Arkansas weak spot the last couple of years.  It's been the crappy defense that has really hurt the Hogs.  Anyway, I guess we'll just have to see if the talent difference here helps the CM offense look better.

BTW, his offense does not really feature a running QB.  I've heard a lot of discussion about needing  dual threat QB for the CM offense but, from what I've seen, that is not true.  His QB is a drop back pro-style QB.  I am going to watch more games to see but, from that one, other than the hurry up, the CM offense didn't really look super innovative to me.
Yeah.. Watch more. SMU's offense was not the problem with them last year as much as it was the defense. Watch the TCU game or even the Arkansas State game. They were in year 3 of what was gonna be a 5 year rebuild at best. I don't know if we'll win 8 or 9 games as some have predicted next year, but I know we will be better defensively. It's gonna be hard for a first year offense to improve on it's predecessor when the previous guys only offensive weakness was the O-line... I guess it all really depends on how well our current guys can grasp and execute the offense. We will see. Either way there will be a bunch of premature "I told you so's" flying around with every win and loss...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

farmhawg

You being a Brett guy, I wouldn't expect you to be any different. You just have no idea what your looking at....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: farmhawg on February 25, 2018, 02:40:03 pm
You being a Brett guy, I wouldn’t expect you to be any different. You just have no idea what your looking at....

He's right about the QB though. CCM used a pro style passing QB at SMU, not a Dual Threat QB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on February 25, 2018, 02:55:23 pm
He's right about the QB though. CCM used a pro style passing QB at SMU, not a Dual Threat QB.
Smh. I am sure you probably think the empty set with a shotgun snap happened here last year as well. Yep, looks exactly like our offense.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: farmhawg on February 25, 2018, 02:58:59 pm
Smh. I am sure you probably think the empty set with a shotgun snap happened here last year as well. Yep, looks exactly like our offense.

I didn't say he was right about that because he isn't. He's right about the QB though.

apcapri

"They didn't look much different than what Arkansas has shown the past 5 years."

Funny because Arkansas didn't have the same offense the past 5 years under Bret. It changed significantly when Dan Enid took over.

Hogs run wild

Fans being divided already and he hasn't even coached a game here. It must be in the razorback fan's dna. I don't care if the offense looks the same or not, as long as the defense doesn't suck like the last few years. You can have a crap offense and still win games with a stout defense. Add a good/decent offense and you can win a lot of games. I say let him coach and watch the product unfold before our eyes. It's year 1, it's not going to be perfect.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Farmer Hogget

You being a Brett guy, I wouldn't expect you to be any different. You just have no idea what your looking at....

You being a Bret hater and all, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Shut the eff up already.  Thanx!

BTW, I watched the Tulane game.  Again, the offense struggled a lot against Tulane. I have watched the TCU and the Memphis games.  Again, there are some great highlights but, overall, the offense struggled.  And, despite this moron's comments, I wasn't paying any attention to the SMU defense because it was no better or no worse than the Razorbacks defense.  I was just merely watching to see what the offense may look like this coming year.  There needs to be fewer slowly developing plays as SEC defenses will mitigate those.  I think a better experienced QB will also help. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

To compete at a high level CCM will need a QB that can run. Yeah he made it work at SMU without a mobile guy.

But this is P5 SEC country. But his offense struggled at Clemson after Boyd and before they started Watson. To be at a high level here we need at QB that can run and throw.

Inhogswetrust

February 25, 2018, 07:27:58 pm #11 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:55:08 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Farmer Hogget on February 25, 2018, 06:28:58 pm
You being a Bret hater and all, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Shut the eff up already.  Thanx!

BTW, I watched the Tulane game.  Again, the offense struggled a lot against Tulane. I have watched the TCU and the Memphis games.  Again, there are some great highlights but, overall, the offense struggled.  And, despite this moron's comments, I wasn't paying any attention to the SMU defense because it was no better or no worse than the Razorbacks defense.  I was just merely watching to see what the offense may look like this coming year.  There needs to be fewer slowly developing plays as SEC defenses will mitigate those.  I think a better experienced QB will also help. 

He is correct you have no idea what you were looking at or for some reason you decided to only watch the games where they might not have done as well. They had a lot more total yards than Tulsa and only 7 less than Tulane. The other two teams you watched them play were better teams than them. Yet you conveniently failed to mention they were ranked #15 in the whole nation in total offense last year. That is better than ALL the SEC teams but one and that was Mizzou.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgphat

It seems to me that Coach Morris embraces flexibility in his offensive schematics, in that  - while he might personally prefer certain personnel attributes and positional potentialities -  he is quite willing to employ whatever strengths he may currently have at his disposal, while attempting to incrementally minimize any perceived weaknesses in his initial scheme by making the best possible usage of the talent he has on hand while planning ahead for strongly recruiting those with the particular attributes he favors.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that working blueprint.

Ā 

aloha_kid

Quote from: GuvHog on February 25, 2018, 02:55:23 pm

and he's recruiting pro-style QBs.  Six offers to pro style vs two for dual threat.

rtr

SMU scored 36 pts against TCU.  Arkansas scored 7 against TCU.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

AHiD

Friend, SMU ranked in top 15 in total offense, and I believe top 10 in PPG
My name...is Jerruh

jm

If he doesn't do something about the defense, he won't win any more games that Bielema. The teams that we play every year do not give up 50 points a game. We have to find a way to hold teams to something manageable or the offense will not matter.

jcbville

Quote from: aloha_kid on February 25, 2018, 08:12:49 pm
and he's recruiting pro-style QBs.  Six offers to pro style vs two for dual threat.

He doesnt think he needs a dual threat QB to be successful. He has stated as much. Some fans are just in love with the idea and want it no matter who the guy is and believe it turns water into wine.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: BBHog on February 25, 2018, 01:23:42 pm
How many SEC head coaches who have been known as spread offense gurus have failed? Sumlin is probably the one who most fits the bill, although I wouldn't call him a failure.

I think CCM's offense is going to be a great equalizer for us much like Petrino's was. 

Sumlin's offense at A&M wasn't really a spread offense.  Sumlin was using Mark Mangino's offense that Sumlin learned while Sumlin was at OU.  Sumlin made some tweaks to it.

Malzahn's offense at Auburn is really not a spread offense.  A Wing T offense or an Inverted Veer offense, which are the 2 offenses Malzahn is using at Auburn, are not spread offenses.

Morris' offense that he is going to use here and Missouri's offense are really the only 2 spread offenses in the SEC.

go hogues

Quote from: jm on February 25, 2018, 08:58:14 pm
If he doesn't do something about the defense, he won't win any more games that Bielema. The teams that we play every year do not give up 50 points a game. We have to find a way to hold teams to something manageable or the offense will not matter.
This
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Flrazrback

Exactly, Gus runs a variant of a spread that has Wing T origins. We should see more of a true spread offense from what I have seen. Ben Hicks wasn't considered a Dual Threat QB at SMU, but he wasn't scared to pull it in and run the ball if defenses gave him a lane.  Cole Kelley isn't afraid to lower a shoulder and pop a few pads, going to be exciting.

HogFoo

I believe Morris worked with what he had.  I believe he'll do the same here until he gets the talent that he wants or needs to run what he really wants to do.  With that said, we had talent here already. contrary to the record and what some fans thought, we had talent here!  We just werent using it, or it was injured, and in some cases there just wasnt enough of it here at certain positions.   

As one poster mentioned, our weak link was the OL. Totally agree with that. Our weak link, besides coaching, (position and head)was indeed the OL.  But, I believe we now have a good coach and a good position coach.  Our last staff put too much weight on our guys. They werent able to overpower anyone and were too slow to stop pass rush.Out of shape.  Just bad!  I believe Morris will have our guys lean and in shape!  Much quicker cuz they wont be carrying around the extra weight!  Quick feet will allow them to pick up rush much better!  So, yeah, i think our OL will be much improved!   

Yeah, ive seen some of SMU gametapes.  I dont know what dude was looking at. i thought Morris' offense looked pretty good overall.  top 15 in america!    not bad!   I will say that adding a mobile QB adds to the good stuff.  =-)  I also say that it would NOT surprise me if the Gwood kid, Noland is in the top3 rotation.  I believe he will be the future. He ran this same type offense at Gwood and was very successful doing it!  I predict he'll pick the offense up quickly and battle for playing time early.  just a predicition.   But yeah, we'll go as our OLine goes.  And i predict people will be wondering who the heck these guys are because they wont recognize them, as they will have improved so much.   Perhaps hopeful, but we'll see.   

As for defense.  I've mentioned a few times how ive felt that our defense will be pretty good.  Having Gerald on one side, who was #1 DE, and then sosa, dropping weight down to 260ish, regaining his speed , he'll be a beast as well at the other DE.   Those 2 guys will be collapsing the pocket very well!  It wouldnt surprise me if we led the sec in sacks next season!   Getting our top DB shutdown CB back from injury will really help our pass rush, as i believe callaway and curl are going to be studs!  plus, safeties will be decent as well..   i believe Parker and Pool both have SEC bodies and talent to be able to be a part of the rotation immediately!  Harris, Dre, Pool Parker, Morgan, thats a good group!    But yeah, defense will be much better , and it wont take much to be better than last season.    It'll be interesting to see all the changes.  Like ive mentioned in other threads, i can easily see us having a successful season. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

MuskogeeHogFan

I haven't watched very much film on SMU while Morris was there but this is a version of the Spread concept that seems to help offenses manipulate defensive alignments by stretching them horozontally and then vertically providing both a passing threat and a rushing threat as well. I thought this was a good article.

The "smashmouth spread" offense, defined as an offense that looks to spread the field in order to achieve the traditional aim of running downhill and then throwing over the top, keeps growing and expanding every season. It's likely that this is going to become one of the main systems employed by major schools because it's hard to beat as a way to impose your will with size in the trenches and dominant athletes on the perimeter.

The SEC has been seeing a lot more of the strategy with Georgia and Auburn both employing it this season while owning the second and third best records in the SEC. Missouri is also utilizing an Art Briles-influenced version of the offense as well but of course they've been a mess.

The appeal of this system to the big schools is pretty easy to understand when you watch how Georgia and Auburn attack defenses this season. Recruiting deep threat receivers who have to be doubled with a safety over the top to prevent tall, strong-armed QBs from finding them down the field really limits the ways in which a defense can get numbers into the box to stop the run. We've already seen this strategy be borne out as a good way to win without bluechip recruits at schools like Baylor and Oklahoma State, but it's clearly no less effective when featuring superstar OL like Austin Golson or Isaiah Wynn blocking for backs like Kerryon Johnson or Nick Chubb.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/11/10/16633692/the-smashmouth-spread-comes-for-the-sec-auburn-georgia
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 26, 2018, 02:05:53 am
Exactly, Gus runs a variant of a spread that has Wing T origins. We should see more of a true spread offense from what I have seen. Ben Hicks wasn't considered a Dual Threat QB at SMU, but he wasn't scared to pull it in and run the ball if defenses gave him a lane.  Cole Kelley isn't afraid to lower a shoulder and pop a few pads, going to be exciting.

Check Ben Hicks' stats. He very rarely ever ran the ball at SMU.

Ā 

GuvHog

Quote from: HogFoo on February 26, 2018, 03:18:55 am
I believe Morris worked with what he had.  I believe he'll do the same here until he gets the talent that he wants or needs to run what he really wants to do.  With that said, we had talent here already. contrary to the record and what some fans thought, we had talent here!  We just werent using it, or it was injured, and in some cases there just wasnt enough of it here at certain positions.   

As one poster mentioned, our weak link was the OL. Totally agree with that. Our weak link, besides coaching, (position and head)was indeed the OL.  But, I believe we now have a good coach and a good position coach.  Our last staff put too much weight on our guys. They werent able to overpower anyone and were too slow to stop pass rush.Out of shape.  Just bad!  I believe Morris will have our guys lean and in shape!  Much quicker cuz they wont be carrying around the extra weight!  Quick feet will allow them to pick up rush much better!  So, yeah, i think our OL will be much improved!   

Yeah, ive seen some of SMU gametapes.  I dont know what dude was looking at. i thought Morris' offense looked pretty good overall.  top 15 in america!    not bad!   I will say that adding a mobile QB adds to the good stuff.  =-)  I also say that it would NOT surprise me if the Gwood kid, Noland is in the top3 rotation.  I believe he will be the future. He ran this same type offense at Gwood and was very successful doing it!  I predict he'll pick the offense up quickly and battle for playing time early.  just a predicition.   But yeah, we'll go as our OLine goes.  And i predict people will be wondering who the heck these guys are because they wont recognize them, as they will have improved so much.   Perhaps hopeful, but we'll see.   

As for defense.  I've mentioned a few times how ive felt that our defense will be pretty good.  Having Gerald on one side, who was #1 DE, and then sosa, dropping weight down to 260ish, regaining his speed , he'll be a beast as well at the other DE.   Those 2 guys will be collapsing the pocket very well!  It wouldnt surprise me if we led the sec in sacks next season!   Getting our top DB shutdown CB back from injury will really help our pass rush, as i believe callaway and curl are going to be studs!  plus, safeties will be decent as well..   i believe Parker and Pool both have SEC bodies and talent to be able to be a part of the rotation immediately!  Harris, Dre, Pool Parker, Morgan, thats a good group!    But yeah, defense will be much better , and it wont take much to be better than last season.    It'll be interesting to see all the changes.  Like ive mentioned in other threads, i can easily see us having a successful season. 

When Morris arrived at SMU, the starting QB was a Dual Threat QB. Morris later replaced him with Hicks, who is a Pro Style passing QB. This belief by some that Morris prefers a  Dual Threat QB is simply not true.

I like Morris and I believe he'll do well at Arkansas but those people expecting him to employ a Dual Threat QB are going to be disappointed.

Hawgboy64

You being a Brett guy, I wouldn’t expect you to be any different. You just have no idea what your looking at....
farmhawg you have the best avatar on Hogville!
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Hawgphat on February 25, 2018, 08:04:34 pm
It seems to me that Coach Morris embraces flexibility in his offensive schematics, in that  - while he might personally prefer certain personnel attributes and positional potentialities -  he is quite willing to employ whatever strengths he may currently have at his disposal, while attempting to incrementally minimize any perceived weaknesses in his initial scheme by making the best possible usage of the talent he has on hand while planning ahead for strongly recruiting those with the particular attributes he favors.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that working blueprint.
+1 This is exactly what I am thinking.  CBP ran different plays with Ryan Mallet than he did with  Lamar Jackson.  I don't know if the SMU QB was recruited by Morris or Jones, and frankly don't care.  What I see is a coach calling plays to his personnel.  Craddock has said that they look for players that are winners at the QB position.  No mention of a running, dual or pro style QB. 

Nashville Fan

You have to define spread because it means something different to everyone. I would argue that every team in the SEC will run elements of the spread offense in 2018, even outside the 2 minute drills.
Pittman or Bust!

GuvHog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 26, 2018, 11:48:44 am
+1 This is exactly what I am thinking.  CBP ran different plays with Ryan Mallet than he did with  Lamar Jackson.  I don't know if the SMU QB was recruited by Morris or Jones, and frankly don't care.  What I see is a coach calling plays to his personnel.  Craddock has said that they look for players that are winners at the QB position.  No mention of a running, dual or pro style QB. 

Hicks was recruited to SMU by Morris.

Pig in the Pokey

dont watch SMU. we will NEVER look like SMU. Thats STUPID.

Watch Clemson.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! Ā„420Ā„   Ā«roastin da bomb in fayettenamĀ» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: Nashville Fan on February 26, 2018, 12:10:08 pm
You have to define spread because it means something different to everyone. I would argue that every team in the SEC will run elements of the spread offense in 2018, even outside the 2 minute drills.

Agreed. There are different versions of the Spread Offense. At Arkansas, Petrino ran the power spread using a pro style passing QB. At Louisville with Lamar, he ran the HUNH spread with some Spread Option mixed in. While Morris ran the no huddle spread at SMU with a Pro style passing QB, he really didn't hurry up very much.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BBHog on February 25, 2018, 01:23:42 pm

how in the world do you really say sumlin 'failed'? I mean, yeah he got fired, but, he won a bunch of games at a solid clip. Bert never beat him while losing a lot more games. Sumlin was 51-26 at aggie. That's 66%.

So, even more evidence to support your OP. The spread works when properly staffed and executed.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! Ā„420Ā„   Ā«roastin da bomb in fayettenamĀ» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 26, 2018, 12:25:39 pm
dont watch SMU. we will NEVER look like SMU. Thats STUPID.

Watch Clemson.

No it really isn't. Clemson added the run-pass option for Watson after Morris left.  Morris's offense does not include a run-pass option.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2018, 12:38:07 pm
No it really isn't. Clemson added the run-pass option for Watson after Morris left.  Morris's offense does not include a run-pass option.

well according to Chad it does...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/watch-chad-morris-breaks-rpo-play-helps-fuel-high-powered-offense/

Russ22

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on February 26, 2018, 12:55:49 pm
well according to Chad it does...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/watch-chad-morris-breaks-rpo-play-helps-fuel-high-powered-offense/
And, it is done very fast. The QB gets a "Yes / No" on the pass portion pre-snap and then goes right away. The defense doesn't get a chance to shift and mess up the pre-snap read.

I should say that this is one facet of Morris's RPO scheme. Every RPO isn't done this way.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Flrazrback

Coach Morris defiantly had RPO built into the offense. Remember though he is also a run the ball first if the defense set allows it. As Coach Craddock has said, even a dedicated pass play call has a run check to it, if the defense play checks out to a run.. We run the ball..  I'm really excited to see how quick our players can learn the new system, alot of our players are used to a similar scheme in high school, maybe they pick it up Razorfast 🐷🐷

GuvHog

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 26, 2018, 05:12:08 pm
Coach Morris defiantly had RPO built into the offense. Remember though he is also a run the ball first if the defense set allows it. As Coach Craddock has said, even a dedicated pass play call has a run check to it, if the defense play checks out to a run.. We run the ball..  I'm really excited to see how quick our players can learn the new system, alot of our players are used to a similar scheme in high school, maybe they pick it up Razorfast 🐷🐷

I agree with that, what I meant was his QBs rarely ever run the ball.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 26, 2018, 05:12:08 pm

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 26, 2018, 05:23:40 am
I haven't watched very much film on SMU while Morris was there but this is a version of the Spread concept that seems to help offenses manipulate defensive alignments by stretching them horozontally and then vertically providing both a passing threat and a rushing threat as well. I thought this was a good article.

The "smashmouth spread" offense, defined as an offense that looks to spread the field in order to achieve the traditional aim of running downhill and then throwing over the top, keeps growing and expanding every season. It's likely that this is going to become one of the main systems employed by major schools because it's hard to beat as a way to impose your will with size in the trenches and dominant athletes on the perimeter.

The SEC has been seeing a lot more of the strategy with Georgia and Auburn both employing it this season while owning the second and third best records in the SEC. Missouri is also utilizing an Art Briles-influenced version of the offense as well but of course they've been a mess.

The appeal of this system to the big schools is pretty easy to understand when you watch how Georgia and Auburn attack defenses this season. Recruiting deep threat receivers who have to be doubled with a safety over the top to prevent tall, strong-armed QBs from finding them down the field really limits the ways in which a defense can get numbers into the box to stop the run. We've already seen this strategy be borne out as a good way to win without bluechip recruits at schools like Baylor and Oklahoma State, but it's clearly no less effective when featuring superstar OL like Austin Golson or Isaiah Wynn blocking for backs like Kerryon Johnson or Nick Chubb.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/11/10/16633692/the-smashmouth-spread-comes-for-the-sec-auburn-georgia

That's what this ^ illustrates. Stressing the defense and making them decide which threat that they choose to defend the most at any given time. 
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2018, 05:27:02 pm
I agree with that, what I meant was his QBs rarely ever run the ball.

Just admit you were wrong. You said he didn't have RPO in his offense yet have been proven wrong.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OLEJACKETFAN

While at SMU CM had a Dual Threat QB named Matt Davis. He was the QB the first year. He also ran a lot! He was the starting QB the second year. A really great Athlete! I believe it was the first game of second season this QB went down with a Torn ACL and was finished. CM had to bring in a Freshman, Ben Hicks who lacks mobility. Really wasn't another choice. SMU had already lost the starting Left Tackle for the season. Just wasn't any depth. These two injuries and a poor Defense resulted in a poor record the second year. CM will prefer a Dual Threat QB. But whoever is the QB will be a Leader and will have to make good decisions on the Field!

farmhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 26, 2018, 05:55:58 pm
Just admit you were wrong. You said he didn't have RPO in his offense yet have been proven wrong.
You do realize as soon as Guv took that side, the argument was over.....
From theflyinghog

TexHog188

Tempo is as much an element as formation in the Morris offense. Use tempo and formation to get the match up you want of your play maker vs the defense set.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

HogFoo

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2018, 06:52:30 am
When Morris arrived at SMU, the starting QB was a Dual Threat QB. Morris later replaced him with Hicks, who is a Pro Style passing QB. This belief by some that Morris prefers a  Dual Threat QB is simply not true.

I like Morris and I believe he'll do well at Arkansas but those people expecting him to employ a Dual Threat QB are going to be disappointed.
i dont believe Morris will be married to any system. While i think he'll recruit different QBs, in the end itll be whichever he believes is the best leader as well as talent as well as who picks up the offense the best.  Once he determines who can make all the calls and the passes, then i believe he'll mold the offense  and playcalls around what that QB does best.  While i dont see him having a run 1st type QB, i definitely think that he will prefer a QB that has at least some mobility instead of one thats a statue. But, we'll find out. I definitely think Morris will be a good enough coach that we'll get to find out which type QB and offense he truly wishes to use. :)
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2018, 06:52:30 am

idont believe Morris will be married to any system. While i think he'll recruit different QBs, in the end itll be whichever he believes is the best leader as well as talent as well as who picks up the offense the best.  Once he determines who can make all the calls and the passes, then i believe he'll mold the offense  and playcalls around what that QB does best.  While i dont see him having a run 1st type QB, i definitely think that he will prefer a QB that has at least some mobility instead of one thats a statue. But, we'll find out. I definitely think Morris will be a good enough coach that we'll get to find out which type QB and offense he truly wishes to use. :)

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 26, 2018, 05:55:58 pm
Just admit you were wrong. You said he didn’t have RPO in his offense yet have been proven wrong.

I already did that. I misunderstood what the RPO is. The point I was trying to make is rarely did Boyd run under Morris at Clemson. After Morris left, his successor installed a package which took advantage of Watson's Dual Threat running ability. When Morris arrived at SMU, the starter he inherited was a Dual Threat QB and Morris later switched to a pro-style passing QB. Morris's history shows that he prefers a pro style passing QB with a little mobility rather than a Dual Threat QB.

Al Boarland

I believe CCM will try a variety of things to see what will be effective against the speed he will see every Saturday.  Probably a lot of quick game passes, speed sweeps and other staples of spread offenses.  If he has some success with that stuff he will be able to take some deep shots.

hogsanity

A coach can run any offense he wants to here and win between 5 & 8 games a year. A coach will not NORMALLY do better unless he has a defense capable of at least slowing down the other offenses in the SEC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on February 27, 2018, 07:32:51 am
I already did that. I misunderstood what the RPO is. The point I was trying to make is rarely did Boyd run under Morris at Clemson. After Morris left, his successor installed a package which took advantage of Watson's Dual Threat running ability. When Morris arrived at SMU, the starter he inherited was a Dual Threat QB and Morris later switched to a pro-style passing QB. Morris's history shows that he prefers a pro style passing QB with a little mobility rather than a Dual Threat QB.

Can't believe I'm saying this.

Guv is right.

31to6

Quote from: GuvHog on February 27, 2018, 07:32:51 am
In his JR and SR years Boyd had 12 rushing attempts per game. His average was poor, which implies that some number of those were scrambles and sacks, but it is an indication of how frequently Morris is likely to have a pass-first/willing runner QB keep the ball vs throw it. To put this into perspective, in 2013 the Tigers ran the ball 41 times per game with 34 passing attempts in each contest. So, the QB accounted for 25% of their rushing attempts (statistically speaking).

Also notable, there were a few games in his career when Boyd's running was instrumental, such as his 126 yards of rushing on 20 carries in their Orange Bowl win over tOSU. Games like that were anomalies, but show that if a team is not stopping the QB run, Morris will call his number more.

Unless your OL is just getting killed, a traditional offense with a Pro-style QB is not going to have the QB running the ball more than once or twice a game. For example in 2015 Brandon Allen had less than 2 attempts per game.

In 2015 Deshaun Watson, who was still a developing thrower but who was a much better runner than Boyd, had over 1000 yards rushing.

So I think the real answer here is that "it depends". CCM is going to use the QB run game as much as he needs and is not hesitant to have the QB run a lot if that is a strength or if the defense is giving it to us.

I think for Hog fans it is going to feel like the QB (as long as he is not completely, Mallett-esque immobile) is running the ball *a lot* compared to anything we've seen since Matt Jones.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 10:16:45 am
A coach can run any offense he wants to here and win between 5 & 8 games a year. A coach will not NORMALLY do better unless he has a defense capable of at least slowing down the other offenses in the SEC.

There aren't very many defenses slowing down offenses these days.