Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What’s the one most important element to the hogs performing well in the NCAAT

Started by popcornhog, February 24, 2018, 09:58:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

For me it's CJ Jones. If he stays hot and continues to provide 8-15 ppg night in and night out, it gives us our best chance at making a deep run in March.
WPS

Dr. Starcs

Avoiding North Carolina

Seriously though, our seed and who we're matched up with makes a huge difference.

jgphillips3

k.c.hawg

CJ Jones!! Then getting a little bit from Hall, Thompson and Gabe/Bailey. If we do that we usually look like a pretty solid team regardless of who is on or not on in the starting 5.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: popcornhog on February 24, 2018, 09:58:29 pm
For me it's CJ Jones. If he stays hot and continues to provide 8-15 ppg night in and night out, it gives us our best chance at making a deep run in March.

I think you nailed the hammer on the head. Possible recency bias but we looked like a different team when adding a third scorer. Jones, Hall, whoever...too easy for defenses to only have to contain two players.

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 24, 2018, 10:01:32 pm
Avoiding North Carolina

Seriously though, our seed and who we're matched up with makes a huge difference.

Of course, but regardless of seeding is more what I meant.

What do we need out of a particular player to help us be at the top of our game?
WPS

ShadowHawg

VirginiaHog

Getting all 5 starters to have a good night on the same night. Thomas was great tonight.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: popcornhog on February 24, 2018, 10:12:08 pm
Of course, but regardless of seeding is more what I meant.

What do we need out of a particular player to help us be at the top of our game?

Lots of factors, but something I'd like to see more of is Barford taking the ball to the basket (and Beard not, lol). He's much better as a dual threat. Lately been settling for more jumpers seems like.

SoIndianaHog

Big key to me is not pressing and playing more half court defense. We are really good when we don't try to catch up on D after getting beat down the court pressing. Stick to tonight's game plan then adjust as necessary according to game situations.

hogsanity

Matchup plain ans simple. If they can avoid a team with a really good PG and another decnt 3pt shooter or a monster big team the 1st two games they can make the sweet 16. If however they run up against a really good Pg or a really good pair of guards in the 1st or 2nd game, they will be lucky to get past the 1st weekend.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hogsanity on February 24, 2018, 11:11:34 pm
Matchup plain ans simple. If they can avoid a team with a really good PG and another decnt 3pt shooter or a monster big team the 1st two games they can make the sweet 16. If however they run up against a really good Pg or a really good pair of guards in the 1st or 2nd game, they will be lucky to get past the 1st weekend.

Refs lol

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 24, 2018, 11:13:12 pm
Refs lol

Well, some of it will be is it tightly called or do they let teams play. Usually varies alot early in the tourney because of so many different crews being used.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

We won tonight, but Sexton was still able to penetrate and get the ball to the open shooters.  For some reason, they passed on a LOT of open threes.  They still shot a higher % and made more than they typically do, so it still remains my fear that we play someone with an exceptional PG, and we just can't defend. 

Staying in front of the dribbler and stopping penetration is to me, the biggest element.  Switching to the zone at times seems to help with that, and even though we get beat off the dribble, there's someone to provide help defense. 

A close second for me...our % from 3 pt range. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 24, 2018, 11:27:17 pm
We won tonight, but Sexton was still able to penetrate and get the ball to the open shooters.  For some reason, they passed on a LOT of open threes.  They still shot a higher % and made more than they typically do, so it still remains my fear that we play someone with an exceptional PG, and we just can't defend. 

Staying in front of the dribbler and stopping penetration is to me, the biggest element.  Switching to the zone at times seems to help with that, and even though we get beat off the dribble, there's someone to provide help defense. 

A close second for me...our % from 3 pt range. 

Sexton does that to just about everybody, but they also forced some to's from him too. But yes a really good PG and a couple good wing shooters is the hogs cryptonite.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Lord of the Styes

Learning to take care of the ball. Too many turnovers in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 24, 2018, 10:06:51 pm
CJ Jones!! Then getting a little bit from Hall, Thompson and Gabe/Bailey. If we do that we usually look like a pretty solid team regardless of who is on or not on in the starting 5.

yep, the bench will decide how far we go.. and FT shooting in close games...

Danny J

Matchup, bench production and not pressing and tiring ourselves out the first game so we are fresh for the second

redhogchilipepper

Guards play and bench scoring. Crazy defense and we make sweet sixteen

gmarv54

Dustin Thomas and CJ Jones both keep playing well sure won't hurt our chances.

Hollywood_HOGan45

CJ, Thomas, Thompson, Bailey, Gabe O. Those role players need to bring it. Biggest win of the year and our two stars just played ok.

cram224

In the SECT we need to avoid Kentucky. Teams with size inside will be our downfall.

razorback1829

Quote from: cram224 on February 25, 2018, 10:22:27 am
In the SECT we need to avoid Kentucky. Teams with size inside will be our downfall.

Yup just like A&M.. oh wait...

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein
16h16 hours ago

Arkansas with an impressive road win at Alabama. Several SEC teams could advance to the Sweet 16, but also lose in the Round of 64. All about matchups.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

popcornhog

Quote from: cram224 on February 25, 2018, 10:22:27 am

I disagree. You're right on the boards. But UK shot lights out, especially in the second half despite great D. They don't typically shoot that well. We would likely have won that game if UK hadn't been so hot.

Granted Kentucky tends to get better late in the season with young guys and that looks to be the case again. They are totally capable of going deep but we are capable of beating them, too.
WPS

BoarEd

As others have said, once you make the tournament everything comes down to matchups. Certain teams are going to cause problems for the hogs no matter what that team's record is. (See LSU).

But the thing that I think gives Arkansas their best opportunity to play at a high level is having TWO players off the bench who aren't overwhelmed by the stage (see Kentucky) and are able to play well enough to allow Barford and Macon to rest. Dustin Thomas, Adrio Bailey and CJ Jones all played great last night. Let's hope that continues. If Arkansas gets good production off the bench they can play with anyone in the country. Even UNC.

cram224

Quote from: popcornhog on February 25, 2018, 11:26:42 am
I disagree. You’re right on the boards. But UK shot lights out, especially in the second half despite great D. They don’t typically shoot that well. We would likely have won that game if UK hadn’t been so hot.

Granted Kentucky tends to get better late in the season with young guys and that looks to be the case again. They are totally capable of going deep but we are capable of beating them, too.
I thought their offensive rebounds killed us in the second half.

Boardon Hamsay

Tournament is all about matchups. The right matchup can offset a deficiency just as the wrong matchup can enhance a deficiency.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BDSCT51

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 25, 2018, 09:38:26 am
CJ, Thomas, Thompson, Bailey, Gabe O. Those role players need to bring it. Biggest win of the year and our two stars just played ok.

Love seeing Thomas contribute as he has done recently. If we could encourage him to be a bit more aggressive from 10-15 feet offensively and not give up the ball quite so rapidly sometimes, would really help out with Gafford in the paint.
Bleeding Razorback Red

GoHogs1091

Not having to face any of the following.

Virginia
Kentucky
North Carolina
Kansas
West Virginia
Villanova

alohawg

Consistently playing with a high bball IQ, value possessions etc... .
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Knot2brite

Avoiding loooooong stretches of time without scoring ....stopping the dribble drive kick out
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Porked Tongue

Avoiding teams with similar type players that run plays and get coaching.

hawgball40

Not pressing for 40 minutes
Not having lulls on offense
Not having a bench that doesn't contribute.
Gafford Doesn't get in foul trouble
Barford is hot
Macon is hot
Beard takes good shots and plays good defense.
DT stretching the defense with the short corner and elbow jumpers.
guards being able to penetrate

popcornhog

Quote from: cram224 on February 25, 2018, 01:56:17 pm
I thought their offensive rebounds killed us in the second half.

It was both. But the boards weren't that surprising and could've been o ercome.

The shooting was out of nowhere.
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: popcornhog on February 25, 2018, 10:23:48 pm

The shooting was out of nowhere.

Seems to happen to the Hogs alot. When you give up a bunch of layups/dunks and open 3's it happens.

Other problem was scoring 40+ in the 1st half and really only 20 meaningful points in the 2nd.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 25, 2018, 06:08:34 pm
Not having to face any of the following.

Virginia
Kentucky
North Carolina
Kansas
West Virginia
Villanova

Shouldn't Miss St make the tournament first before you start worrying about their matchup?

PonderinHog

Outscoring our opponent.

This one element is the key to our performing well in the NCAAT.

Pinto

It's simple, if the three ball is falling for us we will be tough. If not, those long rebounds and transition buckets will get us ran out the gym.

bphi11ips

If Jalen Barford plays like he is capable of playing, then Arkansas can make a deep run, provided everyone else plays like they have been lately.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razobak

Staying composed. In some of our losses, we've gotten behind in the second half and tried to play hero-ball. This is what happened to us in losses to LSU, Kentucky, @TA&M, and North Carolina. We started forcing shots, forcing passes, and playing out of control (specifically Barford). If we can avoid that, we've got a shot to beat anyone on any given night.

Oh, and free throws. Missed free throws were the difference in the games @MSU (5/12 FT, lost by 3) and @Florida (6/15 FT, lost by 15 but Florida pulled away late).
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

hogfanny

I'll take a well rested team. Don't want to play a bunch of meaningless sectourny games just to get beat in finals and be wore out for the ncaat.

TushCrush

Quote from: hogfanny on February 26, 2018, 02:54:54 pm
I'll take a well rested team. Don't want to play a bunch of meaningless sectourny games just to get beat in finals and be wore out for the ncaat.
Unfortunately I will never be able to unsee this.

MushroomCloudHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 24, 2018, 10:02:18 pm
Not being an 8/9 seed.

Almost every year a number 8 or 9 seed beats a 1 seed. How many times will it take Arkansas to get one of those seeds before we knock off the number one? It is bound to happen sooner or later.

Pigsear

alohawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 26, 2018, 08:38:00 am
Outscoring our opponent.

This one element is the key to our performing well in the NCAAT.

I'll have to ponder, but you may be onto something.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc