Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good lord it seems like a lot of semi regular posters are missing!!

Started by k.c.hawg, February 24, 2018, 09:56:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2018, 09:35:27 am
I was a big proponent of the MA hire. Loved it.

I appreciate how he has improved the program over Heath & Pel, but after 7 years I believe we are near or at the top of his plateau. Maybe we can get a better coach, maybe not. I'm not calling for his firing. However, over a 7-year period I would've thought we'd be at 5 ncaa appearances, a couple of sweet 16's, and 1 conference title .... not unrealistic expectations.

Unrealistic.

We haven't been to a single sweet 16 since 96 but should have had 2 I the first 7 years?

Made 5 appearances after not making the nit in the previous 3 years and a 38% conf win pct in the prior decade at a program that was also behind in basketball facilities?

To the rest of the nation our tradition was two decades in the rear view mirror.

Why was that supposed to have changed in only 2 seasons in the one and done era?

Kevin

Honesty is seen as hater.
Either all love all the time, or your a hater.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorpimp

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 25, 2018, 12:57:23 pm
Unrealistic.

We haven't been to a single sweet 16 since 96 but should have had 2 I the first 7 years?

Made 5 appearances after not making the nit in the previous 3 years and a 38% conf win pct in the prior decade at a program that was also behind in basketball facilities?

To the rest of the nation our tradition was two decades in the rear view mirror.

Why was that supposed to have changed in only 2 seasons in the one and done era?

Tell that to the tradition rich basketball history of Wichita St

LivingLegends

Quote from: Kevin on February 25, 2018, 01:00:18 pm

Honesty isn't synonymous with knowing basketball.

99toLife

Quote from: razorpimp on February 25, 2018, 01:10:31 pm
Tell that to the tradition rich basketball history of Wichita St

Wichita State seems to be tough almost every year is basketball and Baseball.

I think they got a couple of Sweet 16's and a Final Four in the last 10-12 years in Basketball.

Not sure how that happens.

redneckfriend

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 25, 2018, 11:06:09 am
You're the one who doesn't get it probably because you don't have a clue what Nolan went through on a daily basis while taking the basketball program to the top. He got so many racist phone calls that his secretary started shielding him from them. At times Frank treated him like he was a nobody. The lawsuit was never winnable and he knew it. It was the only way he could get out into the open all the crazy stuff that went on in those days.

Probably 90% of Hog fans put that lawsuit behind them years ago and the only "stain" on Arkansas basketball is the crappy coaching that followed after Nolan was fired. Nolan has been honored all over the country. You don't get into the Basketball Hall of Fame with a negative legacy.

Nolan made peace with Frank several years ago. He publicly stated that he was over all that stuff. Too bad a few of the fans who were willing to accept the wins but not some of the controvery that came with those wins can't get over it.

I'm going to have to disagree and I'll make two specific points and then one general one. One, the biggest problem isn't the fan base although if you pay attention here, and you read between the lines, many posters on this site still place the bulk of the blame on Nolan Richardson and things "he said" over the years. I firmly believe that, acknowledged or not, much of the animus toward Anderson seen here, and there is a lot, comes from those who still have a grudge against Richardson- so I don't buy how the fan based has moved on.

Two, the bigger problem comes from the coaching fraternity. Mark Few said as late as about 2003 that no self respecting coach would take the Arkansas job. The reason for that was the Richardson law suit that alleged racial reasons for his firing. That was pretty much "word". We saw one come down, take a look and back out (and, yes, I've heard all the academic support staff stuff and if you buy that as the reason I have a bridge I can sell you). And I've also been told that Bill Self was on the cusp of taking the job but he didn't want to have to interview (another bridge for sale). The bottom line after all those rumors? No self respecting coach did take the job until Mike Anderson. He is the first in a line of three that could be legitimately be called a coach and he was the right choice by the much abused Jeff Long to fix the problem.

The general point? There is racism in Arkansas? I'm shocked! (a little nod to Casablanca). Nolan Richardson has been dealing with racism his whole life and while I'm sure he never got used to it he seemed to learn how to navigate past it to get where he needed to go. When he filed that law suit he let his ego get ahead of the program and it cause damage. Whether he and Frank "made peace" is totally irrelevant to the point at hand.
Actions speak and the law suit filed in federal court against the school and the state spoke volumes.  Mike Anderson is the right person to put that history behind the program and to heal the legacy of bitterness from unfortunate choices made by both Frank Broyles and Nolan Richardson. If Mike Anderson were to be fired, especially with his recent success, the entire issue of racism would again be brought to the fore.

hobhog

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 25, 2018, 01:27:04 pm
I'm going to have to disagree and I'll make two specific points and then one general one. One, the biggest problem isn't the fan base although if you pay attention here, and you read between the lines, many posters on this site still place the bulk of the blame on Nolan Richardson and things "he said" over the years. I firmly believe that, acknowledged or not, much of the animus toward Anderson seen here, and there is a lot, comes from those who still have a grudge against Richardson- so I don't buy how the fan based has moved on.

Two, the bigger problem comes from the coaching fraternity. Mark Few said as late as about 2003 that no self respecting coach would take the Arkansas job. The reason for that was the Richardson law suit that alleged racial reasons for his firing. That was pretty much "word". We saw one come down, take a look and back out (and, yes, I've heard all the academic support staff stuff and if you buy that as the reason I have a bridge I can sell you). And I've also been told that Bill Self was on the cusp of taking the job but he didn't want to have to interview (another bridge for sale). The bottom line after all those rumors? No self respecting coach did take the job until Mike Anderson. He is the first in a line of three that could be legitimately be called a coach and he was the right choice by the much abused Jeff Long to fix the problem.

The general point? There is racism in Arkansas? I'm shocked! (a little nod to Casablanca). Nolan Richardson has been dealing with racism his whole life and while I'm sure he never got used to it he seemed to learn how to navigate past it to get where he needed to go. When he filed that law suit he let his ego get ahead of the program and it cause damage. Whether he and Frank "made peace" is totally irrelevant to the point at hand.
Actions speak and the law suit filed in federal court against the school and the state spoke volumes.  Mike Anderson is the right person to put that history behind the program and to heal the legacy of bitterness from unfortunate choices made by both Frank Broyles and Nolan Richardson. If Mike Anderson were to be fired, especially with his recent success, the entire issue of racism would again be brought to the fore.

Good grief. Anderson isn't getting fired this year, but when he does it will have zero to do with race. That card gets completely overused.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 01:58:31 pm
Good grief. Anderson isn't getting fired this year, but when if he does it will have zero to do with race. That card gets completely overused.
Hogs up! Covid down!

redneckfriend

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 01:58:31 pm
Good grief. Anderson isn't getting fired this year, but when he does it will have zero to do with race. That card gets completely overused.

You know, I think I make my point cogently and it is still completely missed. What I said was, and this a sort of connect the dots kind of thing, Nolan Richardson brought the issue of race and racism at the U of A to public attention with his suit. With me so far? The consequences of that are not entirely known but there is evidence, as in the Mark Few quote, that it was taken at face value by many coaches (and now we have Mr. Irwin's "inside" information that Richardson was subjected to racism throughout his tenure- so "race", admit it or not, is an issue in Arkansas).

Now we have a coach who has had, if not the kind of success everyone might hope for, at least some success compared with the recent past. And yet-the fan base, or much of it, is in its typical out-for-blood frenzy whenever there is a loss. We hear what a terrible coach he is, he can't do Xs and Os, calling out posters who support him etc. What does that suggest to you? Yet when he wins that crowd is suddenly silent. So the point was, if he were fired, not that he will be right now, but as many people here want- and here is where you have to connect the dots because those outside the program will and it outside the program you have to go to get a new coach. I'll do it for you: 1) Nolan Richardson was fired because he was black (he said so in his law suit); 2) Mike Anderson is black; 3) Mike Anderson has done a "reasonably good job" at Arkansas ergo- IF Mike Anderson were to be fired short of a big fall off in his recent record the conclusion of those outside the program would be that it was due to race and the program would be radioactive.

I can't be much clearer than that. So stop with the incessant ranting whenever the team loses a game.

McKdaddy

Unrealistic.

Seemed pretty realistic to make the tourney 5 times and 40% of those be sweet 16 visits. If not, okay.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 09:15:49 am
They will be back when the Hogs lose again.when the hogs and Mike Anderson win,it upset them to much.it's called being a Anderson hater.

Didn't even dawn on me that they played yesterday and I had no idea who won until I popped in here just now.  I'll have to go watch the highlights.

"Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy".

I'd characterize myself as apathetic at this point.

We'll slip into the tournament as an 8 seed, possibly win the first game over St. Bonnaventure or someone like that then get beaten in the round of 32.

Yep,  great times..........

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

99toLife

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on February 25, 2018, 03:01:24 pm
Didn't even dawn on me that they played yesterday and I had no idea who won until I popped in here just now.  I'll have to go watch the highlights.

"Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy".

I'd characterize myself as apathetic at this point.

We'll slip into the tournament as an 8 seed, possibly win the first game over St. Bonnaventure or someone like that then get beaten in the round of 32.

Yep,  great times..........

You can't be serious!! When do any SEC teams NOT play on Saturday in Feb.

golfinpig

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 09:15:49 am
They will be back when the Hogs lose again.when the hogs and Mike Anderson win,it upset them to much.it's called being a Anderson hater.
I am SICK of this hater crap. I've been donating to and following the hogs since Lanny Van Eman was the coach. I went to Dallas every year for the SWC tourny. I don't go as much now because of age and health reasons. To call me a hater because I question Mikes coaching or his recruiting is just ignorant and asinine. I guess I should expect as much from a guy who writes at a 3rd grade level.

Dirty

Quote from: golfinpig on February 25, 2018, 03:50:26 pm
I am SICK of this hater crap. I've been donating to and following the hogs since Lanny Van Eman was the coach. I went to Dallas every year for the SWC tourny. I don't go as much now because of age and health reasons. To call me a hater because I question Mikes coaching or his recruiting is just ignorant and asinine. I guess I should expect as much from a guy who writes at a 3rd grade level.

Hater!!!!😡

golfinpig

hawginbigd1

Quote from: liljo on February 25, 2018, 11:35:33 am
Cool. But not me! I'm more the maniacal, paint your chest red on game-day, call the Hogs till you can't talk for 3 days, rootin', screamin', hollerin' at the TV, encouraging every player and coach FANatical type.

But outside of All-Things Razorback, I'm very rational, even civilized, cultured, well-travelled and well-read...well, there is one more exception...there are baseball fans. Then there are baseball fanatics. Then there are St. Louis Cardinals fans. At my house, we are what ya might call "St. Lou-natics."

Woooooooooooooo PIG, Soiee! (Did I spell 'soiee' right that time? Never certain)
One can do both of these things, last night was great in most areas. MA went pressure for a bit last night and they carved us up which would never have entered my thoughts with the speed and athleticism they have. He quickly corrected it and we pulled ahead, good job. Our bench is woefully inconsistent so full court pressure should never be an idea to test unless it is desperation. He should assume he needs the starters 30-35 minutes every game and play accordingly. I will be pulling for us to win every game but I will be critical of the things I believe warrant critique!

hobhog

Quote from: golfinpig on February 25, 2018, 03:50:26 pm

Word. I've done the same thru years and watched us win it all in Charlotte. Never missed a game in school up there early 80s. Go to more games in one year than some a lifetime I'm guessing. Don't let message board "fans" get you down.

GHG!

hawginbigd1

Unrealistic.

If unrealistic why even change coaches? I  grew up over 25 years where an NCAA bid was a foregone conclusion, you will never sell me on the unrealistic expectations stuff. Just won't happen!

Randohoggie

Quote from: Kevin on February 25, 2018, 01:00:18 pm

Wrong and dumb.  100% false.  Contrary to what you "I'M JUST HONEST" posters seem to think, people can see what you post and can recognize patterns in what you post.  Especially when you post as much as you do.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 25, 2018, 09:16:32 am
There does seem to be an inconsistency with postings depending on a win or a loss. Now, I'm no big Anderson fan but I think I'm a realist. He is a fairly good coach who hasn't been able to recruit the kind of talent necessary to win big. He has however done pretty well with what he has. I am hopeful that he can finish and retire here as a sort of positive legacy to balance Nolan Richardson's negative legacy. In the meantime Arkansas will most likely remain a reasonably good, but not great, SEC team.

Some here are so delusional they think that, as in football, it just takes hiring the right "super" coach and everything will fall into place. Since Morris seems to be the new bright and shining coaching hope I'll be interested to see how that plays out. Even if it does go south with Morris you can bet the same process will continue and the same abuse will be handed out to any coach who doesn't live up to certain people's fantasies.

What is it 2 NCAA wins in 7 years? Something like that! Fantasies when you look at reality makes you look ignorant. Facts are facts you can make all the excuses you want for Mike but the reality is he hasn't been anything but below average.

And on fantasies and football..Bobby Petrino says HI! You are just in the crowd on here that Arkansas sucks and should be happy with 2 NCAA wins in 7 years.. Screw you and your fantasies.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 05:15:25 pm
Word. I've done the same thru years and watched us win it all in Charlotte. Never missed a game in school up there early 80s. Go to more games in one year than some a lifetime I'm guessing. Don't let message board "fans" get you down.

GHG!

Been there since Lanny Van Emman and the running Razorback days. Hogville is overrun with people who constantly say we should be happy with below average and that Arkansas just sucks and it's amazing that we ever win a game.

I hate what has happened to Hogville. Long time back this was a Razorback message board with Arkansas Fans who had pride in Arkansas.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 05:16:56 pm
Wrong and dumb.  100% false.  Contrary to what you "I'M JUST HONEST" posters seem to think, people can see what you post and can recognize patterns in what you post.  Especially when you post as much as you do.

Then why don't you post what you want? He has a right to his opinion.

Wrong and dumb is anybody who is happy with the results under Anderson. I guess I am a hater now but the truth is I like Mike Anderson very much. Still like him but have been disappointed in the results to this point.

hogsanity

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 25, 2018, 05:22:48 pm
Been there since Lanny Van Emman and the running Razorback days. Hogville is overrun with people who constantly say we should be happy with below average and that Arkansas just sucks and it's amazing that we ever win a game.

I hate what has happened to Hogville. Long time back this was a Razorback message board with Arkansas Fans who had pride in Arkansas.

Long time back it used to be a place where people could have a discussion and differ in their opinion without being called a hater or a huger or anything else.

As for Anderson, I get it, some people love him and are willing to just get whatever he can get the team to because it is Mike. I can guarantee had any other coach gone 16-16 in his 5th yr, the same people that were here telling us to be patient and tat Mike is really good would have been calling for any other coach to be fired. That does not make me dislike those that feel that way, it just means I do not agree with them.

There are some though that can not handle being disagreed with, no matter their opinion, they just cant handle it and they take it personally and make it personal.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AlmaHog2011

I want Mike Anderson to do great things. I can also accept that to this point he has been below average at Arkansas. I don't agree with the large group on here that constantly attack this state and the university.

Guarantee you no other team has a board that constantly talks badly about their state or their university.

AHiD

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 25, 2018, 05:37:13 pm
I want Mike Anderson to do great things. I can also accept that to this point he has been below average at Arkansas. I don't agree with the large group on here that constantly attack this state and the university.

Guarantee you no other team has a board that constantly talks badly about their state or their university.

By what standard is he below average? Is making the tournament below average?
My name...is Jerruh

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 25, 2018, 05:39:30 pm
By what standard is he below average? Is making the tournament below average?

Just making the tournament is not enough after 7 years. To me this was the year he has to do something. Make a run. If we simply make the tourney and get beat first round then you think this is an above average year?