Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best article I’ve read to fix CBB

Started by Karma, February 24, 2018, 12:09:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mykidsdad

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 12:09:21 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-is-broken-and-heres-the-only-way-the-ncaa-can-fix-the-sport/

Let the players have agents and endorsements in an open market. Schools can’t pay but anyone else can.

Only problem with that is the endorsements will favor certain schools anyway. Companies that pay the endorsements will have the kids go to certain schools (which is what is happening today btw) to improve their marketing. Same with agents, again favors certain schools because agents want exposure to increase their percentage (again this is happening today which again is what is the problem).

Basically the 2 things that you mention (I didn't read the article but reference your points) that you mention is what is happening today but is behind closed doors. Bringing them in the open would take the illegality out of it, but it would only further harm the game because of the natural disadvantage many schools would have (probably increasing it over what is happening today because there is a percentage of good kids that don't have their hands out).

Smalltownhog95

Disagree. Why even have the smaller schools like washington state or Kansas State whom we've seen have impressive seasons compete alongside larger schools situated in larger markets that can offer more? Texas could probably become nationally relevant again overnight if some of their famous Texas football boosters could freely and openly pay players to attend their school. The system is corrupt and needs a change but this doesn't seem like the way to go...

Edit I know the news has been basketball but used football as an example because this system would undoubtedly become the standard for football as well.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Dominicanhog

I thought we fixed CBB when we hired CCM...

hamARchy in the USA

Free markets are supposed to be one of the wonderful virtues of our country.  Then we allow politicians and bureaucrats to regulate them away.  Too many of us find freedom scary, it seems.  Maybe because we want markets to be regulated to our advantage.  It's hard to imagine that there is a greater wrong in college athletics than denying those kids with special talent the opportunity to profit from their talent and to do it when and how they choose to.

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on February 24, 2018, 12:32:52 pm
Disagree. Why even have the smaller schools like washington state or Kansas State whom we've seen have impressive seasons compete alongside larger schools situated in larger markets that can offer more? Texas could probably become nationally relevant again overnight if some of their famous Texas football boosters could freely and openly pay players to attend their school. The system is corrupt and needs a change but this doesn't seem like the way to go...

Edit I know the news has been basketball but used football as an example because this system would undoubtedly become the standard for football as well.
Are washington state or kansas state ever going to get a 5 star now? This plan just makes is transparent, and puts money in the hands of kids.

If Landers Toyota thinks they can sell more cars because Connor Noland says so, why shouldn't he have that right?

The free market is the solution for everything else, why not this?

hobhog

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 12:50:20 pm
Are washington state or kansas state ever going to get a 5 star now? This plan just makes is transparent, and puts money in the hands of kids.

If Landers Toyota thinks they can sell more cars because Connor Noland says so, why shouldn't he have that right?

The free market is the solution for everything else, why not this?

College students, not professionals. Slippery slope.

Just let the kids go NBA if they want. Otherwise go to college. There is real value there and shouldnt need additional incentives.

Quote from: hobhog on February 24, 2018, 12:53:22 pm
College students, not professionals. Slippery slope.

Just let the kids go NBA if they want. Otherwise go to college. There is real value there and shouldnt need additional incentives.
That's not going to stop what we've learned is happening.

Do you remember when the Olympics were all amateurs that couldn't be paid or have endorsements? The world hasn't changed since they are getting paid. Shaun White makes tens of millions.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 24, 2018, 12:47:14 pm
Free markets are supposed to be one of the wonderful virtues of our country.  Then we allow politicians and bureaucrats to regulate them away.  Too many of us find freedom scary, it seems.  Maybe because we want markets to be regulated to our advantage.  It's hard to imagine that there is a greater wrong in college athletics than denying those kids with special talent the opportunity to profit from their talent and to do it when and how they choose to.

Go to NBA, Europe or where your free market let's them go.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 24, 2018, 01:01:24 pm
Go to NBA, Europe or where your free market let's them go.
Right now that's not an option for players.

Do you agree the current system is broken? Teams are cheating, money is being hidden. What is your fix?

hobhog

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 01:03:54 pm

Do you agree the current system is broken? Teams are cheating, money is being hidden. What is your fix?

End one and done. Let them go pro and enforce the rules- Only way to do that is make players accountable for breaking them. How you do that is the question.

Sow Lancelot

The NBA is the one denying the free-market opportunity for high school seniors. Let 'em go straight out of high school, even with an expanded D-league farm system, like MLB.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote from: hobhog on February 24, 2018, 01:05:46 pm
End one and done. Let them go pro and enforce the rules- Only way to do that is make players accountable for breaking them. How you do that is the question.
It took the FBI to figure some of this out. If players and agents won't to exchange money, it will happen. Do you think the schools should be punished, or just the players?

liljo

Crooked people will always do crooked things. Especially as long as crime pays. Take the Cam Newton-Auburn incident in college football. Auburn won a National Championship. Barkley says it was a great investment.

The shame is that there is no level playing field, and coaches who try to stay within the published rules are forced to compete against those that clearly do not. And with the pressures of many so-called fans screaming for their heads when they lose.

So many of these kids come from poverty. They are easy prey to unscrupulous money grabbers whose only fear is prison, and whose only concern is profit.

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

East TN HAWG

It would definitely favor schools with avid and deep alumni bases.  If Wal Mart, Dillard's, Hunts and Tyson's were willing to step up and provide us with high profile athletes, then we would be okay. 

This would get out of control in a hurry, and have little regulation.  It would not be controlled like the NBA is.

razorpimp

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on February 24, 2018, 01:09:27 pm
The NBA is the one denying the free-market opportunity for high school seniors. Let 'em go straight out of high school, even with an expanded D-league farm system, like MLB.

Yea this is how, mimic college baseball...either go straight out of high school to D league then if good enough move to nba....or stay in college three years.

Then make the penalties way more severe for cheating if you get caught....especially on the coaches and institutions.  Trust me if the institutions got penalized harshly try would regulate their coaches.  Make a coach sit for 5-10 years then they can think twice about cheating or get very, very creative

hamARchy in the USA

The landscape would undoubtedly be reshaped by a free market.  The ongoing problems now show that it needs to be reshaped.  The attempts at NCAA micromanagement, like federal govt micromanagement, hold down the honest people while opening the door to black markets and the nefarious behavior that tends to go with them.

Sharky

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-is-broken-and-heres-the-only-way-the-ncaa-can-fix-the-sport/

Let the players have agents and endorsements in an open market. Schools can't pay but anyone else can.

Eh, direct endorsements would be a mistake imo. There are better options. A few points.

(1) Let players defer their academic scholarships and not attend classes. The NCAA rules allow athletes to have tutors that type their papers. Many of them don't care about the school work. Let them attend part time, and create coaching/media interaction/money management/sports agenting degrees just for student-athletes.

(2) Allow athletes to earn royalties on their likeness and jersey/attire sales--and a portion of any shoe deals the school signs. But put 80% of the money in a trust they get access to at age 23. Rich and 18 or 19 on a college campus = trouble. Drugs. Girls. Parties. Fast cars. Gambling. I don't think there are many people who can handle being rich and on their own at age 18 or 19. Even a significant portion of NBA and NFL players end up broke.

(3) Don't forget that there is value in the experience that players get on campus. Medical care. Coaching. Elite training facilities. Sports psychologists. Special dining halls with amazing food. Media time. TV time. All of that has value. College is an option. They don't have to go. They can go d-league if they don't want college. But they go college because it gives them VISIBILITY and that visibility has a tangible future value attached to it.

Edit: I also agree with going the baseball route. But make schools pay for insurance for elite athletes that ensures adequate compensation for career-ending injuries and have policies that subsidize reduced earnings potential due to college injury. If players could have short-term polices worth $5-$100 million based on their future NBA potential, that would essentially eliminate the risk of staying in college.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hobhog on February 24, 2018, 01:05:46 pm

This plus you have to hammer schools. There will always be cheating. Make it so painful for schools that they will police themselves. When I say painful I mean no post season for 3-5 years. If they cheat again ban them from NCAA competition for 3-5. No school will allow bosters or coaches to cheat.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HognotinMemphis

Let the players have agents and endorsements in an open market. Schools can't pay but anyone else can.
I thought this was going to be about fixing Bret Bielema.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bphi11ips

No one is denying anyone anything. The author believes the old amateur rules were okay when college athletics didn't generate so much money. First, big time college athletics has always generated a lot of money. But if times have changed where money is concerned, integrity hasn't or shouldn't.

The "free-market" argument here is a red herring. College sports is not a free market. It has rules. No one forces these athletes to play college sports. They can declare for the draft, go to Europe, etc.  The truth is that a Duke education carries a $300,000 price tag, and a Duke graduate with "basketball player" on his resume has an education, brand, and personal power that may be worth more over a career than a lottery bonus. But again, the value of the education is beside the point. If an athlete wants to be paid to play, he needs to go somewhere other than college, not whine about his commercial value or cheat.

If universities decide they want to pay players, there is nothing to prevent them from doing so. But until they do, cheaters need to be punished, because without integrity, we are setting an example for student athletes that is directly contrary to the reason we supplement education with sport.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BoarEd

Lol. That's what the agents want you to do. Make the corruption aspect of the racket go away.

The obvious flaw is that the gap between the haves and have nots in college athletics would grow even wider. As schools with greater population densities make all the damn money through ad revenue.

The players are already getting a free education and unfettered access to some of the best nutrition and exercise regimens in the world. In order to prepare themselves for potential life as professional athletes, but with an education to fall back on in case that doesn't pan out. LMAO.

Money has corrupted collegiate sports to its core and the people think the answer is to throw more money at it!! Lol

hogsanity

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 03:51:50 pm

Money has corrupted collegiate sports to its core and the people think the answer is to throw more money at it!! Lol

I'd argue we all corrupted college ( and scholastic and youth level ) sports. Fans wanting to claim their team is the best. People wanting to live vicariously through those teams. Parents driving their kids in the slim hope they get a scholarship, or simply to stroke their own ego that their kid is better than someone elses ( and I am including myself in this ). Fans driving schools to fire coaches by not attending games, donating, r however else, so coaches decide they need to cheat to win to keep their jobs.

Now some are so desperate to keep college athletics they are willing to let players be paid, because they'd rather see that than see the sort go away or at least see the sport have to be played without the best players.

It takes a lot to make a sewage pit fill up, and we have all added to the flow.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2018, 03:38:50 pm
No one is denying anyone anything. The author believes the old amateur rules were okay when college athletics didn't generate so much money. First, big time college athletics has always generated a lot of money. But if times have changed where money is concerned, integrity hasn't or shouldn't.

The "free-market" argument here is a red herring. College sports is not a free market. It has rules. No one forces these athletes to play college sports. They can declare for the draft, go to Europe, etc.  The truth is that a Duke education carries a $300,000 price tag, and a Duke graduate with "basketball player" on his resume has an education, brand, and personal power that may be worth more over a career than a lottery bonus. But again, the value of the education is beside the point. If an athlete wants to be paid to play, he needs to go somewhere other than college, not whine about his commercial value or cheat.

If universities decide they want to pay players, there is nothing to prevent them from doing so. But until they do, cheaters need to be punished, because without integrity, we are setting an example for student athletes that is directly contrary to the reason we supplement education with sport.

There is no free market.  There could be.  Universities don't need to pay anything nor do players need to be told they can't make money on the side.  A few of them would obviously do very well.  At the same time, some who put up big money to steer a player would get burnt after not getting in return what was expected.  To convert to a free market would bring growing pains but after awhile as parties got a better feel for their risks the market would work itself out.  Unfortunately, our country has lost its way.  The majority fear freedom.  This reflects the societal acceptance of Marxist ideology in which everyone has to be micromanaged from a higher authority out of fear that someone else might do better.  Too few with the vision and courage to demand freedom.  The result is factionalism and opportunity denied.   

Sharky

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 24, 2018, 04:34:30 pm
There is no free market.  There could be.  Universities don't need to pay anything nor do players need to be told they can't make money on the side.  A few of them would obviously do very well.  At the same time, some who put up big money to steer a player would get burnt after not getting in return what was expected.  To convert to a free market would bring growing pains but after awhile as parties got a better feel for their risks the market would work itself out.  Unfortunately, our country has lost its way.  The majority fear freedom.  This reflects the societal acceptance of Marxist ideology in which everyone has to be micromanaged from a higher authority out of fear that someone else might do better.  Too few with the vision and courage to demand freedom.  The result is factionalism and opportunity denied.

This is Ayn Rand nonsense. Capitalism requires competition. You can't just remove all the rules and hope competition magically takes room. Every time we deregulate any market, the same thing happens: the dominant forces in the market which are already in the best position to become more dominant do just that.

Dark Helmet Hog

Let the players have agents and endorsements in an open market. Schools can’t pay but anyone else can.

I don't think the article could be more wrong. The concept of what a student athlete is supposed to be has been tossed out the window and it is killing college sports.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 24, 2018, 04:34:30 pm

Marxism?  C'mon man.  Another red herring.

Either you're an amateur or you aren't.  The majority of college boards, presidents, alumni, parents of students, etc., believe sports are part of the educational experience.  You, Jay Bilas, et al., would like to impose your views on college athletics.  Yes - college athletes benefit universities.  Universities with millions of sports fan provide athletes with a platform to build a brand that can last a lifetime.  No one forces an athlete to accept a scholarship. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

For all the opposition I read, no one said it's not in the best interest of the players. But no one ever puts their interests first.

hogsanity

So the answer is to just legalize what ever people are trying to do that is currently against the rules?

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 10:55:44 pm
For all the opposition I read, no one said it's not in the best interest of the players. But no one ever puts their interests first.

What is in the best interest of the players is for them to take advantage of the free education they are getting, and for the top players the free audition for the NBA they are getting. I mean they have gone 18 years without having huge paydays, what is another 6 or 7 months to wait until after the college season is over?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

liljo

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 24, 2018, 03:34:46 pm
I thought this was going to be about fixing Bret Bielema.

No need. Arkansas already fixed him. He's probably sitting at home right now, still counting stacks of money.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

BoarEd

Quote from: hogsanity on February 24, 2018, 11:21:32 pm
So the answer is to just legalize what ever people are trying to do that is currently against the rules?

What is in the best interest of the players is for them to take advantage of the free education they are getting, and for the top players the free audition for the NBA they are getting. I mean they have gone 18 years without having huge paydays, what is another 6 or 7 months to wait until after the college season is over?

No offense intended here, but this is nonsense. Most people in this world (and I am talking like 90% + of the population) would consider themselves thrilled to have the opportunities afforded to a collegiate athlete on a full scholarship to an upper tier university. The problem comes when people in suits whisper in these kids ears telling them they should demand more - for THEIR benefit.

And this argument you make here is some sort of apologetics for corrupt people engaging in corrupt practices in a rigged system.

Gonzo

Fixing CBB? Why in the hell is anyone dragging MMQB into Jump Ball? ;)

Go Hogs!

azhog10

Only problem is you have agents steering kids to certain schools. Which is exactly what's pretty much the issue. Coach K was having an agent steering players to him. Just get rid of the one and done.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2018, 10:17:38 pm
Marxism?  C'mon man.  Another red herring.

Either you're an amateur or you aren't.  The majority of college boards, presidents, alumni, parents of students, etc., believe sports are part of the educational experience.  You, Jay Bilas, et al., would like to impose your views on college athletics.  Yes - college athletes benefit universities.  Universities with millions of sports fan provide athletes with a platform to build a brand that can last a lifetime.  No one forces an athlete to accept a scholarship. 

So you associate freedom with imposing views ?  Right.  ::)

Layers and layers of rules, many of which are ticky-tack, is dictatorial.  Thus, the current system is predictably failing.  It's going to take a new way of thinking to fix things if they can be fixed.   Continuing to try to micromanage everyone will ensure things do not get fixed.  However, that's the way of today's world so that's probably the way it's going to be.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 01:03:54 pm

When a kid graduates from high school if he wants to go to college, he goes to college.  If he wants to endorse products and sign with an agent, he goes to D-League or overseas or NBA.  Separate the college game from the pros and let the kids make the choice.

Quote from: hogsanity on February 24, 2018, 11:21:32 pm

Do you oppose capitalism in all contexts, or just college basketball players?

hogsanity

Quote from: Karma on February 25, 2018, 02:49:51 pm
Do you oppose capitalism in all contexts, or just college basketball players?

I don't oppose it at all. If the players want to be paid they need to go to a league where the pay players. D, G, over seas, or wherever else. And, if some day they allow college players to be paid, then play there.

The problem with paying players is that it is not going to stop the recruiting corruption. Teams are still going to want the best players, and will still be willing to break the rules to get them.

31to6

Here's a crazy thought. How about you enforce the rules?

People say that nothing can be done. bull.

It's not a lack of ability, it's a lack of moral courage and will.

maxhog5

If you are going to pay the players, have the NCAA pay them, while the colleges pay for the scholarship.  Paycheck is the same whether you go to Kentucky or Centenary.  The players sign a 3 year no compete contract as far as the NBA is concerned.  If you receive illegal inducements, you are liable for all salary and scholarship money received up to that point.  If you flunk out or get kicked out of school, the no compete remains in effect.  A player can request to be released from the contract and then the college can choose whether to grant the request.

GoHogs1091

The idea that paying players will "level the playing field" is short-sided.  Some schools (mainly the "blue blood" basketball programs) will have more money that they can pay out compared to other schools.

Here would be a good start.

Totally eliminate the AAU (that would help eliminate/decrease the problem of "handlers").

Enforce the rules that are already in place (no more selective enforcement).

Not allow the shoe companies to have so much influence with the Coaches (i.e., the Athletic Director chooses which shoe the school will utilize, and not let that decision be made by the Head Coach/Coaches).

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 25, 2018, 06:32:51 pm
The idea that paying players will "level the playing field" is short-sided.  Some schools (mainly the "blue blood" basketball programs) will have more money that they can pay out compared to other schools.

Here would be a good start.

Totally eliminate the AAU (that would help eliminate/decrease the problem of "handlers").

Enforce the rules that are already in place (no more selective enforcement).

Not allow the shoe companies to have so much influence with the Coaches (i.e., the Athletic Director chooses which shoe the school will utilize, and not let that decision be made by the Head Coach/Coaches).
The NCAA has the power to do none of those things.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Karma on February 25, 2018, 07:12:27 pm
The NCAA has the power to do none of those things.

The NCAA can enforce the rules that are in place.  As of now, the NCAA is just doing selective enforcement, i.e., punish the low totem pole programs and let the high totem pole programs do basically want they want (for example North Carolina basketball program). 

okrazorback

Denying them to profit What do you call four years free college. That is not chicken feed.

okrazorback

I get of people saying they are not getting paid for the money they make for the college. They are getting paid for their college education. Everybody else th that  wants the same education

Quote from: okrazorback on February 25, 2018, 07:33:27 pm
I get of people saying they are not getting paid for the money they make for the college. They are getting paid for their college education. Everybody else th that  wants the same education
If Landers wants to pay a math major to advertise for it, they won't less their scholarship. The NCAA forbids it. This puts them on equal footing.

ChicoHog

Quote from: razorpimp on February 24, 2018, 01:32:08 pm
Yea this is how, mimic college baseball...either go straight out of high school to D league then if good enough move to nba....or stay in college three years.

Then make the penalties way more severe for cheating if you get caught....especially on the coaches and institutions.  Trust me if the institutions got penalized harshly try would regulate their coaches.  Make a coach sit for 5-10 years then they can think twice about cheating or get very, very creative
I like this idea but I don't see it happening.  I would be happy if they just let them declare for the draft out of HS like it used to be.  And love it when most of them don't get drafted.  95% of these kids think they are better they actually are.  Too many people patting them on the back and telling them how good they are. 

hamARchy in the USA

February 25, 2018, 09:01:32 pm #46 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:40:13 pm by hamARchy in the USA
Quote from: okrazorback on February 25, 2018, 07:25:54 pm
Denying them to profit What do you call four years free college. That is not chicken feed.

Did you just read half of that sentence ?

Since self interest of the fans rather than what is best for the student is driving the fear of a free market let's remember that freedom tends to lift all boats.  So how might a free market benefit Arkansas ?

Most likely, since Arkansas has always been a school that tries to play by the rules, the Razorback program would benefit.  As it is, right now only those who are willing to bend or break the rules benefit from funneling money to players.  Open it up.

How the market would adjust is hard to predict but my *guess* is that kids would take money openly from agents, shoe companies, Subway, etc and then play ball wherever they wanted to rather than having to go to a particular school.  Arkansas could be one of those schools.  The schools would not pay the players.  Also, there would be kids who would never have a chance to play professionally but who would cleverly make themselves marketable while they are in college.   It might be the only chance in their life to hit a jackpot.  Good for them.  Good for everybody.   The kids make money while dedicating so much of their time to the schools' athletic teams and it doesn't cost the schools.  We might have to get used to spectacles such as players with their hair cut in the shape of Air Jordans or Subway sandwiches.  :)

One other thing:  It's doubtful there will be any kind of fix.  The scandal is just another indication that college athletics are in deep trouble.  Once the post-bubble collapse ensues it wouldn't surprise me to see them radically downsized if not disappear.

EconHawg

Atleast let him have a couple more kids first. Cmon guys.

husker71

Back in the very early 70s these team suddenly came out of nowhere to become successful (by the way this is my favorite time in basketball)   Jacksonville, Oral Roberts, Southwest Louisiana, Hawaii, Long Beach State.  How did this happen.  Look at the recruiting that was done then.  The just as suddenly they all disappeared to back to mediocre status.  Good book about recruiting and basketball during this time Heaven is a Playground.  I probably missed some other schools during that period that did the same, out of nowhere to big success and then suddenly gone.     Oh in the book I mentioned above the young recruiter hanging around the playground in NYC was Leonard Hamilton then of Austin Peay.  Oh yea forgot them in my list.

hogsanity

None of this is anything new. Players have been getting paid by schools/boosters/agents for years. Players have been caught shaving points off and on for decades too.

There is no way to fix it. No matter what is done, there is always going to be someone willing to do more than the rules allow to get that edge, to get that particular player. Let players have agents, but that is not going to stop colleges from wanting those players, and wherever there is competition for a player there will be people willing to break the rules to get him.