Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB places blame on Petrino, JLS

Started by twistitup, October 19, 2017, 08:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sed76

Just say we lost a really good offensive line coach and the guy I hired to replace him hasn't worked out. It's not Petrino or John L's fault we suck in year 5 no matter how you spin it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 10:25:36 am
Actually it's just the opposite IMO. Dan Enos prefers the up tempo no huddle offense. Had Bret gotten out of Enos's way in the beginning and let him run the offense he wanted to run, the last couple of years would likely have had a much different outcome. Bret finally gave in last Saturday and let Enos run that up tempo offense for a bit. It resulted in the Hogs passing for over 200 yards against the #1 team in the nation. Even though the Hogs lost big, the signs of what could have been were very obvious. Bret needs to let go of that Big 10 offense and let Enos run HIS offense.

That Big 10 offense threw for 400 yards against Alabama last year. 

The problem is not the scheme.  The problem is the personnel.  Arkansas has no experienced receivers and an injured veteran QB.  They lost a 1300 yard running back in the Spring.  Doesn't matter what scheme you run.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Kevin

10 year rebuild is that what he needs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 10:19:55 am
Why did he take the job again? Wait he wrote a letter begging for the position- true?

He knew the situation- don't go there in year 5

Bad career decision.  I don't believe he understood the situation in the least or he wouldn't have desired the job.  He could have had other options. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

he should have left after the 8-5 year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 08:30:52 am
Truth

Doesn't excuse some of what has happened like so few olinemen signed from HS ranks to develop, mismanagement of oline or the second half implosions.

He made a mistake taking the job as he didn't know what he was getting into.

This has been my contention all along. He thought that they had produced winners at Wisconsin in the Big Ten, why not at Arkansas in the big, bad SEC? He underestimated the challenge and though he is right in that the transition from the Petrino/JLS era made things more difficult, but this is year 5 of his era. He has had plenty of time to right the ship.

The better thing to have said would have been, "Those eras of Arkansas made the initial rebuild more difficult and longer than I expected, but being in our 5th year at Arkansas, this is all on us and all we can do is continue to work hard to coach better, recruit better, develop better...just do a better job as a staff to get this team ready to play and the go out and play 4 full quarters every game. The SEC isn't any easy place to play and every week is a new challenge". <end of statement>
Go Hogs Go!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2017, 11:00:01 am
he should have left after the 8-5 year

He should have looked for an escape as soon as possible.  More of a sign of his poor decision making (not considering the $ he has made). 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 19, 2017, 11:00:47 am
This has been my contention all along. He thought that they had produced winners at Wisconsin in the Big Ten, why not at Arkansas in the big, bad SEC? He underestimated the challenge and though he is right in that the transition from the Petrino/JLS era made things more difficult, but this is year 5 of his era. He has had plenty of time to right the ship.

The better thing to have said would have been, "Those eras of Arkansas made the initial rebuild more difficult and longer than I expected, but being in our 5th year at Arkansas, this is all on us and all we can do is continue to work hard to coach better, recruit better, develop better...just do a better job as a staff to get this team ready to play and the go out and play 4 full quarters every game. The SEC isn't any easy place to play and every week is a new challenge". <end of statement>

It would have been a better statement and perhaps he should have been prepared for the question to be asked at some point. 

I haven't looked back at Wisconsin oline recruiting in the late Alvarez years or his tenure.  What were the numbers signed and quality?  I can't believe they would have gone 3-4 classes and only signed 9 or so HS olinemen. 

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 10:53:56 am
That Big 10 offense threw for 400 yards against Alabama last year. 

The problem is not the scheme.  The problem is the personnel.  Arkansas has no experienced receivers and an injured veteran QB.  They lost a 1300 yard running back in the Spring.  Doesn't matter what scheme you run.

The problem has always been the scheme from day 1 of Bret's tenure. I stated when Bret was hired that it was a good hire but if he insisted on running that Big 10 offense, he would be unsuccessful at Arkansas and I was correct.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 19, 2017, 11:03:48 am
How is it a part of the answer in year 5?  It isn't part of the answer.  It's his excuse and I hope Long doesn't fall for it.  He has failed, it's all on him period and he should just admit that rather than blaming a 5 y/o incident.  Hell, how long does it take to change the culture of a program?  Darn sure not 5 years!

Because the question wasn't just about year 5. 

hogcard1964

He just basically acknowledged the fact that he can't live up to the expectations and moderate successes that Petrino had.

I wish he'd shut up and leave on his own before he's fired, but there's not too much that's inaccurate about what he said.

jcbville

Didnt seem like a bad answer to the question he was asked. Then he ends it with the most important statement "we just need to win games."

Jim Harris

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 08:40:46 am
He is realistic about his situation ,  The JLS issue and how Bobby left did make it harder for us to recruit.   He is coaching for his job the rest of the year.  A win Saturday would help him a ton.

How did those situations make it harder to recruit? Bielema arrived as a big name in coaching and a successful record with 3 Rose Bowls. That should have turned recruits eyes toward Arkansas, not away. In fact, his first class recruited with less than two months to pull it together was the best class he's signed. How did BP or Smith affected any succeeding class? It didn't. Bielema and his staff and losing games he should have won are what affected successive classes, then losing the staff's best recruiters.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 19, 2017, 10:48:55 am
No he didn’t. I heard the presser. That’s not what he said.

That's exactly what he said. They even talked on DTS about him making that statement.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: jcbville on October 19, 2017, 11:10:05 am
Didnt seem like a bad answer to the question he was asked. Then he ends it with the most important statement "we just need to win games."
Do that and you don't have to answer all these stupid questions.

smb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 10:58:41 am
Bad career decision.  I don't believe he understood the situation in the least or he wouldn't have desired the job.  He could have had other options.
I think this statement is the best example. He somehow thought he could do the job but now its way over his head. He can't handle the lack of enough talent in Arkansas and can't recruit the rest of the country enough to fill in the holes.  This idea that 2 and 3 stars will compete in the SEC is just plain silly. I just cannot understand his contract or his pay when you look at his record. Its almost like he had been coaching for 30 years. He has to be done at Arkansas at the end of the year but stranger things have happen.
GeorgiaHOG

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: LJHOG on October 19, 2017, 10:47:41 am
I gotta believe you know nothing about CFB.

Maybe you should shed some light on a very cryptic secret then?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: LRHawg on October 19, 2017, 09:19:36 am
This. The cupboard was not bare when he got here. He's just a mediocre coach out of his league.

CBB has gotten a undeserved free pass on that first year.  There was talent on that team.  Does anyone doubt that CBP could have won at least six or seven games with the same players?  This is not an attempt to resurrect the tired argument about CBP's firing.  I just think a better game day coach could have won more games with that same team.  After 4 1/2 years, we've seen enough of CBB''s inability to make adjustments that we should reassess that first year.  When you look at his entire record here, it's pretty miserable. 

Lots of braggadocio in year one, excuses in year five.  Oh well.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 19, 2017, 11:17:42 am
I read the article.  If someone asked me about challenges, I wouldn't refer back to something that happened 5 years ago and I definitely wouldn't mention my predecessor of which I replaced 5 years ago.  As much as you hate to admit it, any challenge he faced 5 years ago has zero baring on the program today and he should have never brought it up yesterday.  He sounds like he's posturing and rehearsing his "please don't fire me Jeff" speech.

The question wasn't just about today.  I don't hate to admit anything.  It isn't working in year 5.  Didn't work in year 4. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 19, 2017, 11:16:34 am
Do that and you don't have to answer all these stupid questions.

I thought all reporters questions were stupid...according to coaches.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: smb on October 19, 2017, 11:16:56 am
I think this statement is the best example. He somehow thought he could do the job but now its way over his head. He can't handle the lack of enough talent in Arkansas and can't recruit the rest of the country enough to fill in the holes.  This idea that 2 and 3 stars will compete in the SEC is just plain silly. I just cannot understand his contract or his pay when you look at his record. Its almost like he had been coaching for 30 years. He has to be done at Arkansas at the end of the year but stranger things have happen.

His contract and pay was given on his market value when he was hired and what coaches at a state flagship institution in the SEC make.  No different than most any job.  In the coaching profession, you don't cut their pay.  You fire them when it isn't going to work. 

razoredge178

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 11:05:31 am
The problem has always been the scheme from day 1 of Bret's tenure. I stated when Bret was hired that it was a good hire but if he insisted on running that Big 10 offense, he would be unsuccessful at Arkansas and I was correct.

Yes you were as was I and lots of others. I thought he could be very successful here as long as he merged his Wisconsin style with SEC style.

Redhogs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 10:58:41 am
So you are saying that once again Bert didn't know what the hell he was doing...I don't think he understands allot of things, no. 1 on that list being an SEC head coach.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 19, 2017, 11:14:47 am
How did those situations make it harder to recruit? Bielema arrived as a big name in coaching and a successful record with 3 Rose Bowls. That should have turned recruits eyes toward Arkansas, not away. In fact, his first class recruited with less than two months to pull it together was the best class he's signed. How did BP or Smith affected any succeeding class? It didn't. Bielema and his staff and losing games he should have won are what affected successive classes, then losing the staff's best recruiters.
Please no common sense Jim...it messes the excuse makers up...5 years later.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sed76 on October 19, 2017, 10:52:54 am
Just say we lost a really good offensive line coach and the guy I hired to replace him hasn't worked out. It's not Petrino or John L's fault we suck in year 5 no matter how you spin it.

That's not what he said. They asked what made the rebuild difficult.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 11:15:51 am
That's exactly what he said. They even talked on DTS about him making that statement.

No he didn't.

jkstock04

Quote from: Redhogs on October 19, 2017, 11:46:36 am
So you are saying that once again Bert didn't know what the hell he was doing...I don't think he understands allot of things, no. 1 on that list being an SEC head coach.
You gotta stick with current company line man.

"Hes an excellent coach, it was a phenomenal hire by Jeff Long...it just quite simply hasn't worked out at Arkansas because of the limitations there."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jst01 on October 19, 2017, 08:40:19 am
I don't fault him for being honest. But he and his followers cant fault everyone else for being honest and realizing he just didn't have what it takes to turn the program around and win. He was on the verge, but didn't get it done.

Yeah right... Dude is on an island. Any positive statements are generally being made to save the program. This guy's new nickname is Toast.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Redhogs on October 19, 2017, 11:46:36 am

Once again?  No.  I'm saying he didn't when know what the hell he was doing when he left Wisconsin for our job.

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 12:05:44 pm
You gotta stick with current company line man.

"Hes an excellent coach, it was a phenomenal hire by Jeff Long...it just quite simply hasn't worked out at Arkansas because of the limitations there."

What company?  It hasn't worked because Bielema has not done a good job. 

jkstock04

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 19, 2017, 12:08:19 pm
Yeah right... Dude is on an island. Any positive statements are generally being made to save the program. This guy's new nickname is Toast.
Whatever...there is no real evidence for this. In fact real evidence suggests Bielema will be our coach again for at least another year. I'm convinced now all this stuff you are hearing on the rumor wire is empty noise.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Dropkick

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 08:32:33 am
Has the rebuild been tougher than you thought? "Great question. I walked into the environment in Wisconsin and I already knew things. To walk into this situation, you want to have success in Year 1, whether it's X&O's, recruiting, etc. You miss landmines that could come up down the road. There are many different factors that come into it. All the drama to Petrino and the JL era, turned it into a tougher job. There's no one that wants to be positive these days, everyone wants to be negative. I'm excited, we just need to win games."

Man what a weird time to use that excuse.
I agree with this statement.

twistitup

The problem is NOT Arkansas, it's player recruiting, retention, and development

Same w CBB coaching staff - it's coach recruiting, retention, and them being able to development athletes.

CBB came in here with a good staff and couldn't retain that staff.....both Pittman and Ch have moved on to a more successful program (Georgia) and left us here to wallow in our own mistakes.

CBB has not been able to have consistency on the coaching staff and this has led to a lack of identity and eventually his dismissal. When you can't recruit and retain quality coaches or players- the end is near.

If he stays and we fire coaches - IT WON'T HELP because CBB will not be able to find quality replacements.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jst01

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 12:18:03 pm
Whatever...there is no real evidence for this. In fact real evidence suggests Bielema will be our coach again for at least another year. I'm convinced now all this stuff you are hearing on the rumor wire is empty noise.

I feel like he's done here.  The vibe of the fanbase, the media focus on it, just the overall feeling reminds me of the end of Nutt and the end of Heath & Pel.  You can just tell its past the point of no return.

twistitup

Quote from: Dropkick on October 19, 2017, 12:22:57 pm
I agree with this statement.

Give me a list of YOUR positive statements about Razorback Football....1-10 would be fun to read

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 12:25:29 pm
The problem is NOT Arkansas, it's player recruiting, retention, and development

Same w CBB coaching staff - it's coach recruiting, retention, and them being able to development athletes.

CBB came in here with a good staff and couldn't retain that staff.....both Pittman and Ch have moved on to a more successful program (Georgia) and left us here to wallow in our own mistakes.

CBB has not been able to have consistency on the coaching staff and this has led to a lack of identity and eventually his dismissal. When you can't recruit and retain quality coaches or players- the end is near.

If he stays and we fire coaches - IT WON'T HELP because CBB will not be able to find quality replacements.
Chaney was hot garbage here. Pittman is his butt buddy. When we sent Chaney packing Pittman was not going to stay.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 19, 2017, 12:29:46 pm
Chaney was hot garbage here. Pittman is his butt buddy. When we sent Chaney packing Pittman was not going to stay.

Yeah garbage.....look at Georgia - you think the reason he was considered garbage here was because of CBB? I don't know the reason why it didn't work - but to call him garbage is laughable - Georgia is kicking arse and taking names.

We only wish we had what Georgia has - don't give me this recruiting b.s -----the common denominator is CBB - it hilarious when we trash ex coaches, especially when they go on to be successful.

Sending them packing has worked out wonderfully - can't you tell?

Enos and Anderson - now that's an improvement. Speaking of hot trash...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 12:33:52 pm

Yeah garbage.....look at Georgia - you think the reason he was considered garbage here was because of CBB? I don't know the reason why it didn't work - but to call him garbage is laughable - Georgia is kicking arse and taking names.

We only wish we had what Georgia has - don't give me this recruiting b.s -----the common denominator is CBB - it hilarious when we trash ex coaches, especially when they go on to be successful.

Sending them packing has worked out wonderfully - can't you tell?

Chaney was trashed while here by all but a few.

Keep working. 

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 08:49:21 am
It looks petty at this point to bring up Petrino and JLS .....in year 5, even if answering a question.

Similar to T still bringing up O - just a bad look

I don't believe it's anything more than an excuse by Bret, however, the question was phrased.  Delivered by a man who has now realized he lacks the talent to coach his way out of this year-5 mess he's responsible for.  Yet, he's still trying to defer blame for this train wreck that is Razorback football on to a coach that left the Hill 5 years ago.

I would hazard a guess there are few, if any, current Razorback players that have any first hand experience with anything related to Petrino and/or Smith.

And I certainly don't think the Petrino/Smith era is responsible for the cluster that recruiting has become under BB and his group of assistants. 

Dropkick

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 12:27:59 pm
Give me a list of YOUR positive statements about Razorback Football....1-10 would be fun to read
I agree with the statement in general about our society. I'm not happy about Razorback football but I'm not gonna lay down and kick and scream like a Democrat who lost an election.

twistitup

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 12:35:50 pm
Chaney was trashed while here by all but a few.

Keep working. 

Shows what all but a few know....

Lesson: Be careful what you ask for.

The problem was not Cheney - I think we all know WHO the problem was...5 years later

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on October 19, 2017, 12:36:01 pm
I don't believe it's anything more than an excuse by Bret, however, the question was phrased.  Delivered by a man who has now realized he lacks the talent to coach his way out of this year-5 mess he's responsible for.  Yet, he's still trying to defer blame for this train wreck that is Razorback football on to a coach that left the Hill 5 years ago.

I would hazard a guess there are few, if any, current Razorback players that have any first hand experience with anything related to Petrino and/or Smith.

And I certainly don't think the Petrino/Smith era is responsible for the cluster that recruiting has become under BB and his group of assistants.

The question wasn't specifically about our current situation in season 5.

jst01

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 12:39:47 pm
The question wasn't specifically about our current situation in season 5.

The right answer should have been: Yes its hard to rebuild, its hard anywhere, we haven't been able to do it like we have needed to.

Even bringing up the former coaches names was a mistake on his part.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 12:18:03 pm

I think at this point the only thing that could save him is winning out. It's possible, but I doubt it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jst01 on October 19, 2017, 12:41:41 pm
The right answer should have been: Yes its hard to rebuild, its hard anywhere, we haven't been able to do it like we have needed to.

Even bringing up the former coaches names was a mistake on his part.
Why?
They contributed to the early situation.   

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 11:05:31 am

Wrong.  The offense works anywhere with the right players.  At the moment Arkansas lacks the players, starting with the o-line, but none of the pieces are there this year.  No one anticipated the problems with the o-line.  In the recruiting service era, can you remember more four-star players in the o-line depth chart?  If so, I'd like to know when. 

How do you plan for losing a player like Rawleigh Williams?  Hogville never appreciated him - probably because he was a 3-star early commit to Mississippi who switched early to Arkansas.  With the numbers he posted in high school he would have been a 5-star had he chosen Alabama or A&M. 

What do you do when your only experienced receiver rips his Achilles?  KJ Hill is the leading receiver now for Ohio State.  Arkansas offered him.  He'd make a huge difference right now.

What do you do when your 5th year senior QB can't throw because of an injury?  The offense worked last year when he was surrounded by the right personnel.  It worked in 2015.  Same reason. 

Having said this, I posted above that the game has changed.  Championship offensive football is now an RPO spread.  It is still run and play action based.  It is not Mike Leach's offense.  Hogville thinks "spread" = pass.  Simply not true. 

It's Jimmies and Joes.  Right now if you have the best players the favored offense at the top is the RPO spread, but that's still power football.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jst01

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 12:43:25 pm
Why?
They contributed to the early situation.   

every preceding coach contributes to the situation a new coach takes over. So what?  How many times do you hear a coach call out the former coaches by name during his answer? 

PonderinHog

Quote from: jst01 on October 19, 2017, 12:45:49 pm
every preceding coach contributes to the situation a new coach takes over. So what?  How many times do you hear a coach call out the former coaches by name during his answer?
It depends on if they're on your schedule or not.  We're good...

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteHe was asked a specific question and answered it.

Yes, he just didn't answer it appropriately.  A coach that feels in over his head will tend to cling onto the excuse he sees in the question, just like Bielema did.

An intelligent, confident coach like a Saban and any number of others would have belittled the reporter for asking such an irrelevant question in season five.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.