Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting

Started by dwcherr, June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Turminator on June 20, 2013, 01:55:42 pm
Everyone needs to relax, they just signed a 38 star place kicker

Actually, a great PK is probably one of the four or five most valuable assets a team could have in this league.

OTTER

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 19, 2013, 05:10:45 pm
You guys getting upset about recruiting before the season has even started are pretty sad.
Tell 'em!  I've never seen such knuckle headed posts.  I suspect trolling attempts behind the fake panic.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

HG

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 20, 2013, 02:00:29 pm
Actually, a great PK is probably one of the four or five most valuable assets a team could have in this league.

Saban just put a kicker on scholarship, if I recall correctly.

LZH

Quote from: HG on June 20, 2013, 02:26:23 pm
Saban just put a kicker on scholarship, if I recall correctly.

My first recollection of a great kicker was Steve Little, and to be truthful, he wasn't really dead-on accurate.  Not trying to overstate anything here, but if you've got a guy who is cash money from 40 yds and in, that's worth something.  If he can hit, say, 3 out of 5 from 50-55 yds, that's not only worth a scholarship, that's worth at least a game a year in the SEC.

OTTER

Quote from: sportster365 on June 20, 2013, 12:01:42 pm
I'm not ragging on this coaching staff. All I'm doing is stating the obvious. Look none of these coaches came here promising us a top 25 recruiting class year after year. If I had any beef it would be with the members of the Arkansas sports media that painted the picture of this being an outstanding recruiting staff, although this maybe so, but it's still yet to be proven.

I know its premature, but this actually stems back to the end of the last recruiting cycle in comparison to each SEC school that hired new head football coaches. And since someone mention that the avg. star rating is what's most important out of those 4 schools Arkansas finished the recruiting cycle off in last then too.

Avg. Points Per Commit & Conf. Record
Auburn (0-8) 3.57
Tennessee (1-7) 3.19
Kentucky (0-8) 3.05
Arkansas (2-6) 2.96

I'm not predicting anything bad, I'm just posing a question. I was told this staff was built to recruit and the only way to judge that truthfully is to compare them to their counterparts. I choose to look at things realistically and not from a wishfull thinking perspective that some of you so choose to do. I pay attention to recruiting and for me to say I'm not somewhat alarmed about the clamoring Kentucky and Tennessee is making so far in the world of recruiting would be much more than an understatement. It's like ignoring the big blue and orange elephant in the room in which I feel some of you are trying to do and as a fan I fully understand why.

Here's what I don't understand, to your avid college football fan and HS recruits, Bret Bielema's a household name so to speak. Similar to C B.S. walking up to a kid and saying hey I'm Bob Stoops I want you to come play for me, or a Nick Saban in Alabama approaching a kid, CBB is in the same class as these guys are imo. He's one of college footballs elite coaches. When I compare him to a Butch Jones, Gus Malzahn or Mark Stoops or even a Hugh Freeze, his name, resume and credentials far exceeds any of them, yet those guys are out recruiting him thus far. Call it the gift of gab or just the right personality, Im not sure. In any hoot it is what it is.
The thing is, right now recruits are looking to see how we do this year.  We're on some very good players who are waiting and seeing, before they make their decision.  After a 4-7 season last year, the entire firesale of a season, and coaching changes, if I was a kid interested in Arkansas, I'd want to get an idea of where this program is headed.  Relax, take two asprin, and call back in in February!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: sportster365 on June 20, 2013, 12:01:42 pm
I'm not ragging on this coaching staff. All I'm doing is stating the obvious. Look none of these coaches came here promising us a top 25 recruiting class year after year. If I had any beef it would be with the members of the Arkansas sports media that painted the picture of this being an outstanding recruiting staff, although this maybe so, but it's still yet to be proven.

I know its premature, but this actually stems back to the end of the last recruiting cycle in comparison to each SEC school that hired new head football coaches. And since someone mention that the avg. star rating is what's most important out of those 4 schools Arkansas finished the recruiting cycle off in last then too.

Avg. Points Per Commit & Conf. Record
Auburn (0-8) 3.57
Tennessee (1-7) 3.19
Kentucky (0-8) 3.05
Arkansas (2-6) 2.96

I'm not predicting anything bad, I'm just posing a question. I was told this staff was built to recruit and the only way to judge that truthfully is to compare them to their counterparts. I choose to look at things realistically and not from a wishfull thinking perspective that some of you so choose to do. I pay attention to recruiting and for me to say I'm not somewhat alarmed about the clamoring Kentucky and Tennessee is making so far in the world of recruiting would be much more than an understatement. It's like ignoring the big blue and orange elephant in the room in which I feel some of you are trying to do and as a fan I fully understand why.

Here's what I don't understand, to your avid college football fan and HS recruits, Bret Bielema's a household name so to speak. Similar to C B.S. walking up to a kid and saying hey I'm Bob Stoops I want you to come play for me, or a Nick Saban in Alabama approaching a kid, CBB is in the same class as these guys are imo. He's one of college footballs elite coaches. When I compare him to a Butch Jones, Gus Malzahn or Mark Stoops or even a Hugh Freeze, his name, resume and credentials far exceeds any of them, yet those guys are out recruiting him thus far. Call it the gift of gab or just the right personality, Im not sure. In any hoot it is what it is.

These same coaches signed 3, 4 stars as late in the process as you could possibly be. You shouldn't be worried at all right now.

Also, for the 5th time, some of these schools with a ton of commits will drop drastically when better programs start filling their commit list.

We never have that many commits this early and I'm personally glad we haven't taken a ton of commits from a ton of 3 stars early like we have in the past.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Turminator on June 20, 2013, 01:55:42 pm
Everyone needs to relax, they just signed a 38 star place kicker
Your logic...  Great kickers can win more games than most players on the team.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OTTER

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on June 20, 2013, 02:55:28 pm
These same coaches signed 3, 4 stars as late in the process as you could possibly be. You shouldn't be worried at all right now.

Also, for the 5th time, some of these schools with a ton of commits will drop drastically when better programs start filling their commit list.

We never have that many commits this early and I'm personally glad we haven't taken a ton of commits from a ton of 3 stars early like we have in the past.
Ya made some good points there.  Be careful, that's dangerous thing to do!

HG

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 20, 2013, 02:31:33 pm
My first recollection of a great kicker was Steve Little, and to be truthful, he wasn't really dead-on accurate.  Not trying to overstate anything here, but if you've got a guy who is cash money from 40 yds and in, that's worth something.  If he can hit, say, 3 out of 5 from 50-55 yds, that's not only worth a scholarship, that's worth at least a game a year in the SEC.

Agreed.  If Bama had a better kicker in 2011, we would have had a Bama/Oregon BCSNCG.  A QB or an RB or a WR may have a shot at the goal line once out of every 15 plays he's involved in.  The rest of the time, just getting a few yards and advancing down the field is good enough to be considered a successful play.  A kicker is always playing for a score.  It's all or nothing.

jkstock04

The idea that natl signing day is a ways off and this means nothing makes sense to me. But, with this logic am I to believe that if we were top two or three in the league in recruiting right now:...this board would not be making a big deal a out it?

LOL....get real people would be doing back flips ready to build statues....With that fAct it kinda makes the "its a ways off til signing day this means nothing" seem like 100% spin. I just hope this coaching staff can recruit like everyone promised they would be able to.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on June 21, 2013, 06:33:29 am
The idea that natl signing day is a ways off and this means nothing makes sense to me. But, with this logic am I to believe that if we were top two or three in the league in recruiting right now:...this board would not be making a big deal a out it?

LOL....get real people would be doing back flips ready to build statues....With that fAct it kinda makes the "its a ways off til signing day this means nothing" seem like 100% spin. I just hope this coaching staff can recruit like everyone promised they would be able to.
Uhh.....let me clue you in on something: the vast majority of fans at ANY school are going to crow (or not) according to how well (or not) they may be doing whether it be on the field or in the area of recruiting. It's called human nature. Duh....I know that's a real Einstein moment of revelation but it obviously bears mentioning.

BTW your observations still don't change the indisputable facts that NSD is still 8 months or so away and there are still a ton of recruiting decisions to be made by ALL parties involved; this includes what I suspect will entail some changing of minds on the part of some kids who've already made pledges.

sportster365

Quote from: jkstock04 on June 21, 2013, 06:33:29 am

Great point and it's absolutely a 100% spin job to downplay what's really going on so far. If it's human nature to rave and romp when you're on top then it's also human nature to question why you're not when your subjectively lesser counterparts are on top.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sportster365 on June 21, 2013, 08:53:08 am
Great point and it's absolutely a 100% spin job to downplay what's really going on so far. If it's human nature to rave and romp when you're on top then it's also human nature to question why you're not when your subjectively lesser counterparts are on top.
Is there an echo in here?????

Kc-Razor

Quote from: OTTER on June 20, 2013, 02:48:28 pm
The thing is, right now recruits are looking to see how we do this year.  We're on some very good players who are waiting and seeing, before they make their decision.  After a 4-7 season last year, the entire firesale of a season, and coaching changes, if I was a kid interested in Arkansas, I'd want to get an idea of where this program is headed.  Relax, take two asprin, and call back in in February!

:)

"if I was a kid interested in Arkansas, I'd want to get an idea of where this program is headed.  Relax, take two asprin, and call back in in February!"

Sounds like a realistic perception and good advice to me...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Kc-Razor on June 21, 2013, 09:15:27 am
:)

"if I was a kid interested in Arkansas, I'd want to get an idea of where this program is headed.  Relax, take two asprin, and call back in in February!"

Sounds like a realistic perception and good advice to me...
I have serious question for some of the kids who make this statement. What exactly do you mean by such? Yes, I can understand why anyone who's considering the Hogs might want to access the staff's use of the personnel, the coaching scheme(s), style of play, etc. in making a definite decision on whether or not to commit. However, at times I also have a feeling that SOME of these young man are also just wanting to see how well the Hogs perform this year as it applies to the win/loss record. Again, I can understand wanting to play for a winner, one of the reasons 'Bama attracts some of the kids they do; however, if you're going to let the initial season's record (good or bad) of any team be a major influence on whether you sign with a particular school I have to question your real intention/desire to play.

Perhaps that's just human nature 'cause "everyone loves a winner". Just airing real or imagined gripes about what I perceive to be (sometime) flighty reasons behind some kid's decisions. Then again, I realize I'm not having to live with that choice, right or wrong.

56Hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 19, 2013, 10:12:01 pm
Like a laser beam you drilled precisely down to the core of the matter! BINGO and +1

Well, a big part of the problem anyway.

2006-2012 Rivals Team Recruiting Rankings vs. results:

Arkansas average ranking: 31, total wins 58
Notre Dame average ranking 12, total wins 56
Ole Miss average ranking 23, total wins 38

Just as the odds-makers know nothing of who will win, only who you think will win; recruiting services know what sells in Fayetteville, South Bend, Oxford, and a hundred other places and they spin it out year after year to the overconfident and the worry-warts alike.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jerome Dews is 17th commitment, 3rd linebacker in potential 2014 Tennessee class

Quotet's not unheard of for a team to take a lightly recruited two-star player late in the process. It is somewhat unusual for a team to take that commitment in June.

But the Vols do need linebackers as much or more than any other position, so Dews' commitment is unlikely to spook any other player the Vols could be recruiting.

Also, it's likely that there will be shuffling on the Vols' commitment list between now and February. If UT does significantly better or worse than expected in 2013, some recruiting doors could open or close accordingly.

The Maryland LB is the lightly recruited two-star referred to in the commentary.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Hearns announced today that he will play at Louisville.

One of those former Florida and UK commits.

hoglady

This staff should be judged on their recruiting ability when the 2014 class is signed, sealed and delivered.
It just seems a little early to be bashing them for something that doesn't end until the spring of 2014 - there's still miles to go in this marathon.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jbcarol

Bret Bielema ‏@BretBielema 29 Jun
@donpertha don't worry about the ranking of recruiting now or in the future. Focus on the ranking at the end of each season. #WPS #HOGFAITH

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jbcarol on July 01, 2013, 12:03:33 pm
Bret Bielema ‏@BretBielema 29 Jun
@donpertha don't worry about the ranking of recruiting now or in the future. Focus on the ranking at the end of each season. #WPS #HOGFAITH
Out of the mouth of "babes". LOL

jbcarol

Tennessee for the moment is number one on the way-too-early Rivals' 2014 Team Recruiting Rankings with the verbal from Dillon Bates (Bill's son).

sportster365

Yeah and they're yet right there in the thick of things with Texas and Alabama when it comes to the amount of 3 and 4 stars. Kentucky too, in relative comparison to recruiting juggernauts like Michigan, Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Damn and Miami the Wildcats are heavy in the mix.

If both Kentucky and Tennessee finished this recruiting cycle filling up the rest of their offer list with 3 star talent, the Vols would likely finish in the top 15 and Kentucky in the top 20. That's incredible considering both teams have first year head coaches coming into programs who struggled considerably over the past 5 years or better. Plus last year both Kentucky and Tennessee had worse conference records than the Hogs.

And these coaches aren't just finding gems in their own backyards, they're recruiting nationally. And for those who make the excuse and say "well recruits are just waiting to see what the team will look like before they make a decision" and that's logical thinking, but that hasn't seemed to slow the Vols and the Cats down much at all. And if anything these kids should have a better idea of what Bielema's wants to do since Wisconsin was a top 25 team year in and year out while Brett was there more so than they would have any clue of what Stoops who's been nothing more than a coordinator for his entire career and Butch Jones coming from Cincinnati, I mean seriously what kid actually watches and take Big East football seriously enough really get a jist of what a Butch Jones coached team looks like. The guy was a Cincinnati for 2 years and before that Central Michigan. So when you compare the 3 you're more likely to have a better idea of what sort of program Bielema's going to run more so than Stoops or Jones, so to say they're just waiting to see what the team looks like isn't gelling with with well neither.

Break & Run

So this whole thread says nothing more than "Bielema sucks at recruiting.  Arkansas is SCREWED!"  Or so that's what I've read so far....

Pathetic.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

adave

Quote from: The Mafia on July 05, 2013, 04:18:43 pm
So this whole thread says nothing more than "Bielema sucks at recruiting.  Arkansas is SCREWED!"  Or so that's what I've read so far....

Pathetic.

wurd

jbcarol

Scarblog: ake Rodney Garner, Dameyune Craig over Trooper Taylor, Curtis Luper as Auburn super recruiters

QuoteRemember when Curtis Luper and Trooper Taylor were considered the dynamic recruiting duo of the Auburn football coaching staff?

Luper and Trooper.

It had a nice ring to it, at least until too many of the highly touted prospects they rounded up failed to get in school, stay in school or live up to their hype.

See Tyrik Rollison, Jovon Robinson and DeAngelo Benton, to name a few.

Before Rodney Garner and Dameyune Craig coached at Auburn, they played there.

Only three of the nine Auburn assistant coaches got three-year contracts. Garner and Craig are two of them. The other three-year deal belongs to defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson.

Recent former recruiting coordinator and defensive position coach at UGa, Garner is making $500,000 per year.  Taylor made $425,000 plus a signing day retention bonus of $50,000.  Craig and Luper make/made $350,000 per and $330,000 per respectively.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hoglady on June 29, 2013, 02:15:20 pm
This staff should be judged on their recruiting ability when the 2014 class is signed, sealed and delivered.
It just seems a little early to be bashing them for something that doesn't end until the spring of 2014 - there's still miles to go in this marathon.
Haven't you learned ANYTHING at all during your time on here? It's NEVER too early to panic nor too early to bash the staff for not getting all 4 and 5 star commits to fill each of our classes at least five years ahead of time. Until you learn that you'll continue to be befuddled (sarcasm).

jbcarol

jbcarol

UT releases self-reported minor NCAA rules violations
2 by football are related to recruiting

QuoteDays before National Signing Day in February, Tennessee football staff members hosting recruits at Calhoun's on the River committed a secondary violation by making contact with an unnamed prospect, who had unexpectedly accompanied another recruit to the restaurant. Schools are limited to six off-campus contacts with a prospect; the restaurant bump was the seventh.

Coaches went through additional rules education, but UT said the mistake was inadvertent and no recruiting advantage was gained.

In March, a junior college prospect visited campus on an unofficial visit. Later, UT discovered that the prospect had not yet completed one full year at his school, meaning he was not allowed to participate in on-campus recruiting.

Tennessee said a mitigating factor was that the unnamed prospect visited several other schools, who were also apparently unaware of his status.

jbcarol

As dust continues to settle during the dog days, 247's composite team rankings for 2014:

8. Tennessee
13. Kentucky
24. Auburn

Getting a jump start on 2015:

2. Tennessee
7. Arkansas
13. Auburn

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

jbcarol

Strange: Even the most knee-jerk fan knows rebuilding a college football program takes time. That reality weighs heavy on the Tennessee fan base these days.

But no matter who's name is on the office door, recruiting is the lifeblood of rebuilding. Then there is the subset, junior-college recruiting.

Bringing in players who are already a year or two down the developmental path can be either or stop-gap move to fill holes or a slight accelerator in the overall process. Or, more likely, both.

QuoteUT has a rich history with juco transfers... Even when the Vols were living large in the 1990s, a juco or three proved handy.

In these leaner times, they are an absolute necessity.

The 2012 Vols included six jucos who started all or most of the time. Cordarrelle Patterson was an other-worldly addition in his one-and-done season. Mychal Rivera was, for my money, a terrific tight end.

The other four were regulars on the worse (sic) defense in school history. Believe it or not, it would have been even worse without them.

As many as five jucos could start in 2013 if tight end Woody Quinn proves to be a quick study. Maurice Couch and Daniel McCullers are critical up front. Byron Moore, who started every game last year, and Riyahd Jones, a spring arrival at cornerback, could have a big say in how far back the Vols can come from defensive oblivion.

The trend will continue. Butch Jones' commitments that comprise the nation's (for now) No. 1-ranked class for 2014 include two jucos at positions of need, receiver Kameel Jackson and linebacker Chris Weatherd. Bank on more to come.

He picked Steve Alatorre over Matt Simms as his all-time Vol Juco QB.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 9h
Breaking: DB Cortez McDowell talks about picking Tennessee #Vols over Auburn & #UGA -  http://bit.ly/17iDh4J

jbcarol

Vols pick up 21st football commit

Tennessee added the third verbal commitment for its 2014 recruiting class on Thursday night when Tampa (Fla.) offensive lineman Ray Raulerson became the Volunteers' 21st pledge.

The 6-foot-4, 279-pound three-star prospect plays tackle for Plant, the same program that produced UGa QB Murray.

Quote...had scholarship offers from Auburn, Missouri, Vanderbilt, South Florida, Louisville, Nebraska and Oklahoma State.

This is Foundation Weekend or "big recruiting weekend" at Tennessee.

No word on how many they hope to sign on the first Wednesday in February not to mention early enrollees.

Uncommon

I can't believe that Tennessee already has 22 commitments.  They may finish out their class before the season even starts.

jbcarol

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 2h
WR Dominique Booth (4 star, per Rivals) from Indianapolis has announced his commitment to Tennessee.

Gas Pumper

jbcarol

Reports that UK got their 20th verbal commitment for 2014.

Chambersburg DT Corey Johnson, most recently playing for ASA JuCo has given a verbal to UK.  The only sign the dice were aligned were from this tweet from former Bielema college teammate Mark Stoops:

Mark Stoops ‏@UKCoachStoops 2h
Big time YAHTZEE for the Nation today!!!! pic.twitter.com/UiAqp4R2wX

jbcarol

jbcarol

Tennessee jumps Alabama to claim No. 1 spot in (way too early?) recruiting rankings

QuoteAfter landing three new commitments for their 2014 recruiting class in the last week, the Volunteers moved to the No. 1 spot in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings, vaulting over their hated rivals, the Alabama Crimson Tide.

The 247Sports team rankings are determined using a composite of the four major recruiting services (Rivals.com, Scout, ESPN and 247Sports' own rankings).

Tennessee's big week included commitments from 4-star Georgia safety Cortez McDowell, 4-star Indianapolis wide receiver Dominique Booth and 3-star Tampa offensive lineman Ray Raulerson.

247 Composite would list the Vols with nine commits having 4 or more stars. Their 22 verbals is the most currently in the SEC.

j-mann

its very hard to recruit to arkansas  to do well u have to go in to Okie and Texas hope 3 Star will look at u In louisiana and Miss  because there at best about 25 high school players that are at SEC Level in arkansas

i wish Arkansas had better recruiting in memphis and st louis   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

jbcarol

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 8h
Mark Stoops has 9 four stars signed or committed at Kentucky. In the previous SIX years, UK signed just 7 four stars.

jbcarol

Vols got a verbal from 5.8-rated Norcross OLB Kevin Mouhon.

Mouhon is the 24th commit in the Class of '14 for Tennessee.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Solomwi on July 22, 2013, 09:56:53 am
This kid is probably the best WR prospect in the last 20 years. LSU fans are pissed. D. Craig is doing work son.

Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Larry Fitz... ???

WILL CLINTON

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.