Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC East Football Recruiting Battles heat up

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 06:56:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

UGA beat out Georgia Tech for LB Naim Mustafaa in a rare head-to-head battle between the two in-state rivals.

QuoteThe Alpharetta, 6-foot-4, 235-pound Mustafaa is the son of former Georgia Tech football star Najee Mustafaa (Reggie Rutland), who played seven seasons in the NFL. The younger Mustafaa was rumored to be on the brink of committing the Yellow Jackets. He has at least 25 other offers.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

JP Vonashek, a 6-foot-6, 280-pounder from Camden County High School, committed to South Carolina after making an unofficial visit on Saturday. Vonashek had 13 offers, including Ohio State, Florida State and Tennessee.

SC edges UGa for the OL.

Quote"I just liked South Carolina better. I've been to UGA a couple of times, and I went to South Carolina today ... Nothing really [went wrong] with UGA. I won't say anything bad about them. I just liked South Carolina better, to tell you the truth."

Camden County already has two rising seniors committed to UGA – QB Brice Ramsey and WR-DB-RB JJ Green. Both have been actively trying to recruit Voneshek to UGA with them. "I'm sure they are going to still try to do that, but I'm not worried about it," Voneshek said. "I'm not going to change my mind, Once I commit somewhere, I'm not going to change my mind."

South Carolina landed Vonashek despite Steve Spurrier not being around to close the deal on Saturday. "He actually wasn't there today," Vonashek said. "I know he's a great coach by the things he did at Florida. I got to go into his office. I met his son, and I saw his dad's Heisman Trophy and all of the things."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tennessee found the quarterback for its 2013 recruiting class. 6-3, two bills, Butler pro style QB Riley Ferguson had scholarship offers from LSU and Alabama, though each of the 2012 BCS finalists has two quarterbacks committed. Clemson, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, South Florida and Virginia Tech were among other schools giving him offers.

QuoteGrayson LB Zach Barnes plays on a loaded defense in Logansville, Ga. Defensive end Robert Nkemdiche, the nation's top prospect, joined defensive back David Kamara and tailback Wayne Gallman as Clemson commitments after reportedly pledging to the Tigers later Thursday. According to the Gwinnett Daily Post, Barnes' only other scholarship offers were from Indiana and Southern Mississippi.

"Tennessee's a great school," Barnes told the paper. "They've got a great campus, a great study center, a great new football facility that should be done in 2013. I like the academic program up there. And of course I like the football program."

jbcarol

Two steps backward, one step forward: UGa lands verbal No. 18: Rico Johnson, cried after was he was offered a football scholarship at Saturday's Mark Richt Camp.

QuoteThe 5-foot-11, 171-pound Johnson is a Swainsboro wide receiver and defensive back. He picked UGa over offers from Appalachian State and Marshall. He was virtually unknown to recruiters because he was ineligible to play last season as a junior...

jbcarol

Macon Sam LB Nigel Bowden recommitted to Vandy. Bowden had offers from Vols, Ole Miss, and MS State.

jbcarol

At least three recruits pledged to Vanderbilt at its big summer football camp and cookout...

QuoteIn addition to LB Nigel Bowden, DB Darrius Sims became the second Whitehaven High and third Memphis prospect to commit.

Defensive tackle Sean Spencer (Newnan, Ga.) announced via Twitter his commitment on Saturday.

jbcarol

6-5, 235, Brentwood pro-style QB Max Staver gives a verbal to Florida.

Staver has offers from Miss. St., UofL, and Memphis.

jbcarol

18. Zebulon B. Vance LB Larenz Bryant gave a verbal to South Carolina.

Bryant reportedly has offers from Florida, Clemson, Virginia and Wake Forest.

jbcarol

Sandy Creek DB Shaq Wiggins, one of UGa's top recruits, denies and clarifies rumors on de-committing.

Quote"I think people take some things the wrong way," Wiggins told the AJC on Tuesday night.

"There's things people say on message boards and Twitter. I even had people calling me, saying 'I heard you de-committed' and all that stuff."

So what's the official word? "I'm still looking at schools and stuff like that. But I haven't de-committed yet."

Realizing how that sounded a little awkward, Wiggins quickly added, "Well, I'm not de-committing any time soon."

He explained further: "I guess all the rumors came from me taking visits to other schools, just looking what they have to offer. Now I did have some thoughts about [de-committing], but it wasn't too serious."

How committed is Wiggins to UGA? "I'd say 95 percent."

"It's recruiting, you only get to go through this one time in your life, and I want to see what other colleges have to offer," Wiggins said.

"Georgia fans shouldn't be worried at all, but I'm keeping my options open because you never know what can happen with college coaches, just from my past experiences," Wiggins said. "I don't want to make the same mistakes that other players made before me."

jbcarol

Per Keith Niebuhr, Vandy is one spot ahead of Southern Cal in the 247 recruiting rankings.

jbcarol

One of the nation's top inside linebackers, Trey Johnson, who has been committed to Auburn since last summer, will attend the UGA prospect camp on July 13 with a couple of his teammates from Central Gwinnett High School.

QuoteCentral Gwinnett coach Todd Wofford: "Trey is just making sure he is covering all his bases, just in case something comes up. He saw how the Ted Roof thing worked last year, the business side of college football. Trey is just trying to take care of his side."

The 6-foot-2, 218-pound Johnson committed to Auburn over FSU, Florida, Clemson and Tennessee in part because of the presence of Roof, who was Auburn's defensive coordinator at the time but left for UCF and is now at Penn State. Roof had a special connection to Central Gwinnett because he played high school football there.

While Johnson says he is "100-percent" committed to Auburn, he plans to take all five official visits as a senior. He intends to take recruiting trips to Penn State (where Roof is now coaching), Notre Dame, USC, Miami, and Auburn.

jbcarol

T Martin helps Kiffin bag cornerback Jalen Ramsey, one of the state of Tennessee's best football prospects

QuoteESPN's Dave Hooker: "Former UT quarterback Tee Martin, who Kiffin hired from Kentucky earlier this year, was the main recruiter for Ramsey.

"Ramsey said the relationship with Martin, who also recruited him when he was at Kentucky, was also a factor. Yet it was more than that. Ramsey said he long felt wanted by the Trojans, especially by secondary coach Marvin Sanders."

jbcarol

jbcarol

South Carolina has offered 6-3, 275, Hiawatha, KS SDE Peyton Newell.

Newell has an offer from Missouri and a majority of the Big XII North and B1G "west".

jbcarol

6-2, 245, Honolulu St. Louis ILB Colton Goeas gave a verbal to Tennessee.

Goeas has offers from Kansas, Hawaii, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon St.

jbcarol

Clemson goes from worst-to-first with state of Georgia recruiting

QuoteLast year, no out-of-state school recruited the state of Georgia worse than Clemson.

This year, no school is recruiting the state better than the Tigers.

One year after pitching a shutout, Clemson has seven Georgia commitments (and counting), including the grand prize, Grayson defensive end Robert Nkemdiche [and his high school teammates], the nation's No. 1 overall prospect.

Elbert County High School's Tyshon Dye is one of the Southeast's top running backs, while Lassiter High School's Ryan Jenkins and Peach County High School's Demarcus Robinson are both candidates as the state's top prospect at wide receiver.

Clemson is also considered a frontrunner for the state's top uncommitted prospect, Dooly County defensive tackle Montravius Adams.

jbcarol

Rockwood Summit linebacker Eric Beisel gave a verbal to Missouri.

jbcarol

Five-star cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III gave a verbal to Florida.

jbcarol

Greensbo', Alabama WR Jevontey Smith gave a verbal to Kentucky. He had an offer from Middle Tennessee State and interest from Auburn and UAB.

jbcarol

Friday Night Lights produced another star-studded turnout in The Swamp.

QuoteRanked No. 1 at his position by ESPN, running back Kelvin Taylor has attended the showcase since his 8th-grade year and was one of several top-tier prospects on hand Friday.

Dr. Phillips safety Marcell Harris, Jacksonville Sandalwood defensive lineman DeMarcus Walker and Tampa Hillsborough defensive end Jordan Sherit were the top 2013 targets in attendance. The talented trio did not work out with 200-plus participants and spent the majority of the night with Florida's commits and coaches. They plan on making their decisions before summer's end, and UF is believed to be the front-runner for all three.

jbcarol

Thomson TE Jordan Davis gave a verbal to UGa.

He is reported to have offers from Florida, South Carolina and UofL.

jbcarol

Hans Gruber

Starting to believe our recruiting success rests in the literal hands of our gloves making some Razorback design.

jbcarol

Gainesville WR Chris Thompson has given a verbal to Florida. The 5.4-rated WR is reported to have offers from FAU, Marshall, UMass, and Utah.

jbcarol

Jonesboro CB Cam Sutton gave a verbal to Tennessee.

jbcarol

Plant safety Paris Bostick gave a verbal to UGa.

jbcarol

Did Will Muschamp withdraw the scholarship offer to one of the Florida's recruits, DB Tre Bell of New Jersey?

QuoteDid Bell's coach give him the correct advice? If you were a high school coach, would you want your star player risking injury less than a week away (on July 27) from the start of high school practice in order to work out for a college he was already committed to?

Bell announced on Twitter that he was now pledged to Vanderbilt.

jbcarol

Shaquille Fluker: UGA lands No. 26 with JC safety

QuoteFluker picked UGA over football scholarship offers from Nebraska, Ole Miss and Arizona State. Out of Mississippi's Meridian High School in 2011, Fluker only had offers from Arkansas State and South Alabama. He earned the attention of bigger D1 programs after his freshman season at East Mississippi.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Overzealous "UGA fan" calls recruit about his commitment status with Bulldogs

QuoteA person claiming to be a UGA fan recently called one of the team's top football recruits to clarify the status of his commitment to the Bulldogs.

The ill-advised contact between the "fan" and the prospect, and the story behind it, instantly went viral on Twitter, and ignited heated discussions on a UGA team website and Rivals.com's national message boards.  It also created some speculation that UGA may have to report an NCAA secondary violation — even though UGA appeared to have nothing to do with the phone call, and the unidentified person claiming to be a UGA fan may be a fan of another school.

An NCAA spokesperson told the AJC on Monday that it did not have enough information to "speculate about the situation" and how it applied to the rulebook, and recommended contacting UGA. Jim Booz, who works in compliance at UGA, said Monday he was aware of the situation and said that no NCAA secondary violation had occurred. "Based on the information at this time, there's not enough information to conclude that there's a rules violation."

If anything, it's a wild and wacky story about how passionate and overzealous some college football fans are about recruiting...

The UGA soap opera kicked off last week after a California newspaper reported that College of the Sequoias defensive back Steven Nelson said in an interview that he had committed to Texas Tech – which Nelson later denied. Nelson has been committed to UGA since last February.

"There's no truth to that, and I was thinking about pressing charges because that's false information," Nelson said.

Last Thursday, Nelson was contacted by a person who wanted to know if he had indeed switched his commitment from UGA to Texas Tech. They talked for about 5-10 minutes.

"I get phone calls almost every day from college recruiters and reporters," Nelson said. "He called me up, and I forgot what his name was. The way he was talking, I thought he was a reporter, so I stayed on the phone. He was just trying to convince me to stay with Georgia, told me how good of a player I was, and wished me a good year."

jbcarol

UGa adds commits number 27 and 28. With 28 commits, UGa's 2013 class is the largest in our nation.

QuoteDT John Atkins and DE Leonard Floyd, are 2012 UGA signees who failed to meet college entrance requirements.

Both players reported to Virginia's Hargrave Military prep school on Monday, coach Troy Davis confirmed to the AJC.

And now that both are officially enrolled in prep school, both are officially being counted as members of UGA's 2013 class.

Atkins and Floyd both plan attend one semester of prep school and then report to UGA in January. Beginning next season, they will have five years of college eligibility to play four.

The Bulldogs expect to sign around 34 in February, with 9-10 enrolling last year and counting toward the 2012 class numbers.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 19, 2012, 06:46:22 pm
6-foot-4, 290-pound from M.L. King offensive lineman Joshua Outlaw had been pledged to Florida since April. Outlaw told the AJC he de-committed because of two reasons, including the fact that Florida's coaches did not approve of him taking visits to other schools.

"I kind of wanted to re-evaluate things," Outlaw said. "We weren't seeing eye to eye on a couple of things. I wanted to take my official visits to other schools, and they weren't big on that.

The other reason for Outlaw's departure was because he said he wasn't sure where he was going to fit in along Florida's offensive line. "I'd like the chance to play offensive tackle because that's my position now in high school. They told me 'the best guys play.' Me being a competitor, I'm the type of guy who wants to get on the field early. I would play any position on the line to get on the field. Of course, I would like a shot at offensive tackle."

Since offensive lineman Joshua Outlaw de-committed from Florida a couple of weeks ago, the 6-4, 290-pounder has been contacted by FSU, Clemson, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miami and Vanderbilt. Outlaw broke it off with the Gators because he wanted to visit other schools and Will Muschamp did not approve.

Outlaw: "I'm definitely satisfied where things stand now. It feels good to have things clear cut and open. This allows me to fully explore my opportunities."

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/08/29/insider-auburn-will-take-advantage-of-new-sec-rule-to-entertain-recruits-at-georgia-dome/

jbcarol

Alvin Bailey commits to Florida.

The 5-11 Seffner Armwood WR had offers from most of the SEC except Bama, LSU, UK, and of course Missouri.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Derrick Henry, the 5-star RB from Yulee, Fla., backed off his yearlong commitment to UGA in June, and said Tuesday on Twitter that he will announce on Sept. 27 between Alabama, Tennessee and UGA.

QuoteThen there's Kyrin Priester, the speedy WR from Brookwood High School who committed to UGA only a few months after transferring from the Orlando area in April but opened his recruiting back up over the summer.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder was a surprise visitor at UGA's season-opener last weekend because of his Brookwood teammate, linebacker Shaun McGee, who is committed to the Bulldogs.

"Shaun told me that the Georgia coaches had been asking about me," Priester told the AJC. "I got tickets to the game and everything, and I liked it when I went up there."

Priester liked his conversation with UGA wide receivers coach Tony Ball so much that the Bulldogs are now among his leaders, along with South Carolina...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

'14 Atlanta St Pius X Safety and UGa commit Nick Glass says he will visit Knoxville for the Florida v. Tennessee game.

Glass: "I heard Vol Nation shows a lot of love."