Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfers...

Started by FraggleHog, December 10, 2014, 08:12:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FraggleHog

With all of the conversation of whether or not Braxton Miller could possibly transfer here (not saying whether or not that would be the best move)... It got me to thinking. The last time we had a high profile transfer to The Hill (Mallett), it was announced in mid January. Is that typically the standard time, or can they transfer at any time? I'd imagine it would be sometime during the winter break so that the kid can start classes during the spring semester.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

jb11

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 10, 2014, 08:12:59 am
With all of the conversation of whether or not Braxton Miller could possibly transfer here (not saying whether or not that would be the best move)... It got me to thinking. The last time we had a high profile transfer to The Hill (Mallett), it was announced in mid January. Is that typically the standard time, or can they transfer at any time? I'd imagine it would be sometime during the winter break so that the kid can start classes during the spring semester.
He would probably wait until after the bowl games so he can be there with his team. I am sure he has already talked to UM about the situation.

Swineasaur

Unless he is going for grad school, BM has already finished his schooling. With any other transfers, assuming they are not seniors who have a chance to play right away, I'd say March/April is the norm.

Edit: Yes, if BM was coming here it would be in January, but he isn't coming here

FraggleHog

I agree... The only reason we were even brought into the conversation was due to Bielema's success with Russell Wilson. I think that continuity is the best thing for this team at the time... BA will be a senior next season, and although he isn't the best QB, nothing can replace that senior leadership... Especially at the QB position.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 10, 2014, 08:28:36 am
I agree... The only reason we were even brought into the conversation was due to Bielema's success with Russell Wilson. I think that continuity is the best thing for this team at the time... BA will be a senior next season, and although he isn't the best QB, nothing can replace that senior leadership... Especially at the QB position.
nothing? Talent trumps a stiff with experience.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

carolinahogger

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 10, 2014, 09:28:07 am

Agreed.  I got a chuckle out of that too.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 10, 2014, 09:28:07 am

A 5th year talented Senior at that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rickm1976

What difference does it make anyway?  Braxton Miller isn't coming here.  How did this even get started?  It reminds me of all the stupid Gruden rumors.

ricepig

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 10, 2014, 09:56:26 am
What difference does it make anyway?  Braxton Miller isn't coming here.  How did this even get started?  It reminds me of all the stupid Gruden rumors.

Because the thirtyeleven other threads, since moved, didn't address their disdain for our QB.

FraggleHog

If you recall, the original question wasn't if BM is actually coming, but rather when transfers announce their intent. But this is a discussion board, so I'll voice my opinion as well. I just feel that continuity is the best thing for this team, due to the fact that they seem to be so close and have really embraced the family feeling. Bringing someone new into the locker room is always a crap shoot to see how the team reacts. Wisky got lucky with Russell Wilson, but it doesn't always work out that way. I know I'm probably in the minority, but just my humble opinion. the conversation is moot anyways as BM isn't coming here... So I'll let it rest. Go Hogs, Beat Texas! ::hornsdown::

Hoggish1

It also helps if the team someone is transferring to has just graduated a QB and has no clear cut replacement waiting to step in.

We do, I don't think Wisky did.

ScotchHog

I have no idea why anyone thinks Miller would be a good quarterback for us, anyway.
The merry-go-round at the OSU QB position has shown that the QB is mostly irrelevant.  The system and the high end recruits at the other positions are what make that team potent.  I'm guessing Miller is not as talented as everyone was led to believe.  He would likely end up behind Allen if he transferred here.  A much better "get" would be Cody Clements of UAB.  Those players can also transfer and play immediately.  Texas is trying to lure him as a transfer.  Although, personally, I would prefer to keep all the drama away and go with BA next season.
Always waiting

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 10, 2014, 09:56:26 am

I think he mentioned 5-6 schools that he would be interested in and Arkansas was one of the schools. That started the whole thing. So it may be as far fetched as Gruden was but in this case he at least said "Arkansas", it was not just a red tie or red socks that got people to go nuts :)

Hogwild

Quote from: Swineasaur on December 10, 2014, 08:16:54 am
Unless he is going for grad school, BM has already finished his schooling. With any other transfers, assuming they are not seniors who have a chance to play right away, I'd say March/April is the norm.

Edit: Yes, if BM was coming here it would be in January, but he isn't coming here

The SEC has different rules with regard to players with only one year of eligibility.  Since 2011 graduate transfers must have at least two years of playing eligibility, however in May of this year the SEC modified the rule that they would be eligibility with certain GPA requirements.  So Miller might need the spring & summer to reach the new SEC requirements.

Swineasaur

Quote from: Hogwild on December 10, 2014, 02:34:35 pm

The SEC has different rules with regard to players with only one year of eligibility.  Since 2011 graduate transfers must have at least two years of playing eligibility, however in May of this year the SEC modified the rule that they would be eligibility with certain GPA requirements.  So Miller might need the spring & summer to reach the new SEC requirements.
maybe mistaken but I thought the SEC changed the "Massoli" rule

michaels

Quote from: ScotchHog on December 10, 2014, 01:55:02 pm
I have no idea why anyone thinks Miller would be a good quarterback for us, anyway.
The merry-go-round at the OSU QB position has shown that the QB is mostly irrelevant.  The system and the high end recruits at the other positions are what make that team potent.  I'm guessing Miller is not as talented as everyone was led to believe.  He would likely end up behind Allen if he transferred here.  A much better "get" would be Cody Clements of UAB.  Those players can also transfer and play immediately.  Texas is trying to lure him as a transfer.  Although, personally, I would prefer to keep all the drama away and go with BA next season.

no, you're absolutely right.
2x big 10 player of the year and heisman candidate would probably be playing behind Allen

trphog

Quote from: ScotchHog on December 10, 2014, 01:55:02 pm

As someone who has watched a ton of tOSU games over the past couple of years because of my wives fandom. Let me say this is a delusional take. BA might as well transfer himself is Miller was to come here. He's that much better than BA. It doesn't bring me joy to say that. Frankly I hate tOSU. Facts are facts though. Miller sitting in favor of BA is ludicrous. That kid is a player

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Swineasaur on December 10, 2014, 03:57:50 pm

It was changed back.

Hogwild

Quote from: Swineasaur on December 10, 2014, 03:57:50 pm

Yes the rule was put into place in 2011, it was changed this past May

Piney Woods Rooter

I don't see this ever happening.