Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Series Record vs Tex

Started by rzrbaxfan, December 09, 2014, 02:58:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbaxfan

After reading (not trolling) the Texas boards, I see a lot of chest pounding over their 56-21 all time record against us.  Although history is great, I find it funny that the series started with Texas going on a 14 game win streak against us that ended in 1932.  Nineteen freakin thirty two.  Here is some info (that you probably already know) about the series that is a bit more modern.

In the last 10 match-ups (dating back to 1986), the series is an even 5-5.  Within those 10  games, both teams were ranked in 3 of those contests, with the hogs holding a 2-1 advantage (most recent was 2000 Cotton Bowl). In 5 of those games, only one team was ranked, and the ranked team was 3-2 (Ark was unranked and beat #6 Texas in 2003, Tex was unranked and beat #15 Ark in 1987).  Only 2 math-ups found both teams unranked, and the Hogs were 2-0 in those games (1986 & 1991).

Atlhogfan1

It is similar to how we view A&M from a series standpoint. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 02:59:31 pm
It is similar to how we view A&M from a series standpoint.

Yeah but I've never seen LH fans line up in rows and grab each others butts while rocking side to side....... or the bell beating moron from TT.

Just sayin....Kinda equals out the see-thru man-leotards they wear for football pants.
This is my non-signature signature.

DLUXHOG

Well, we're 3-2 over the last 5 meetings.................
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 04:26:52 pm

and Coach Nutt is 2-0 when playing them in Texas. Hmmmm....

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2014, 04:31:12 pm

Even a blind, deaf & dumb, squirrel finds a couple of acorns once in a while... (I don't think you are even suggesting Nutt was a better coach than Broyles, Holtz, Petrino.....)

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 04:33:10 pm
Even a blind, deaf & dumb, squirrel finds a couple of acorns once in a while... (I don't think you are even suggesting Nutt was a better coach than Broyles, Holtz, Petrino.....)

I didn't say that..... You said we were 3-2 of the last 5 against Texas. I said Coach Nutt is 2-0 playing them in Texas.....Where our bowl is being played.

Coach Nutt is and may be a lot of things, but early in his time at Arkansas he was a good motivator. Arkansas boy with the bred-in hate for Texas and was good at getting his teams to perform against them. That is fact.

I don't take up for Nutt, usually, or ever, but against Texas, he was pretty good.

redeye

Our series with LSU is similar, because most of the games came before the mid-fifties.  It resumed after we joined the SEC and then LSU has the best decade in their history, but only played us once during our best decades.  So, LSU's large lead mostly comes from games during the same time span you mention for Texas.

The thing about Texas is that the games were usually close, but whenever it looked like we may win, they'd somehow pull it out.  I think the games were closer then the series record might indicate.

I don't think any SEC team has dominated us in that fashion.  Georgia and Florida are probably the only 2 SEC teams to have a better winning percentage against us, but we've only played them a handful of times.

We should have won more games in the eighties, because Texas was down, but they kept squeaking out wins, somehow.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: redeye on December 09, 2014, 04:52:20 pm
Our series with LSU is similar, because most of the games came before the mid-fifties.  It resumed after we joined the SEC and then LSU has the best decade in their history, but only played us once during our best decades.  So, LSU's large lead mostly comes from games during the same time span you mention for Texas.

The thing about Texas is that the games were usually close, but whenever it looked like we may win, they'd somehow pull it out.  I think the games were closer then the series record might indicate.

I don't think any SEC team has dominated us in that fashion.  Georgia and Florida are probably the only 2 SEC teams to have a better winning percentage against us, but we've only played them a handful of times.

We should have won more games in the eighties, because Texas was down, but they kept squeaking out wins, somehow.

Record with LSU is nowhere being near being as lopsided as our series with Texas...   Record with LSU is 37–21–2 (LSU favor) and with Texas is 56-21 (Texas favor).   See the difference?  LSU holds only a 16 game advantage whereas Texas holds a 35 game advantage.... almost double...

(Note: Hogs are 4-4 vs LSU over past 8 years and are 4-4 over previous 8 games with Texass......  go figure....)

Danny J

I would go back only to about 1960 and I am not sure what people consider the "modern era" of football but that is about where I would go back. What is the overall record going back that far?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Danny J on December 09, 2014, 05:31:18 pm
I would go back only to about 1960 and I am not sure what people consider the "modern era" of football but that is about where I would go back. What is the overall record going back that far?

24 (Texas) - 12 (Arkansas) I believe.........

Danny J

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 05:39:13 pm
24 (Texas) - 12 (Arkansas) I believe.........
Well thats not good. Hopefully we can make it 24-13. Sure sounds better than 24-12.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2014, 04:31:12 pm

...although our records do not reflect this, just being in the SEC raised our game.....we got better Tx didn't...

Now, yes the beat down was because we shot our foot off with the Nutt fiasco....Petrino had
nothing when he came in...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Tejano Jawg

We had beaten Texas 3 times in a row—near the end of our SWC days (with Jack Crowe and QB Jason Allen), the Year 2000 Cotton Bowl (I was there...the only win out of the 5 CBs I've been to) and the great game in Austin with Matt Jones and Cedric Cobbs.

Not saying we should have won the 4th one...but we could have. Matt Jones' late fumble is what everyone remembers. But we really didn't play well that day. Every mistake we made was bigger than the one before, until we just ran out of time. And the ability to overcome them all. But man, I sure wished we would have scored there...just to see what Texas would have done.

And under Petrino, we got torched with Colt McCoy at QB for the Horns. We had no chance in that one.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 04:26:52 pm

But only 12 wins since 1957.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

pigmailyen

Activate the Hogdozer and whip a little bevo butt in Houston for old times' sake.

jkstock04

My opinion, if we are talking about the SWC or SEC...is that anything before the late 60's is a joke because the schools werent even integrated. Racism was still deeply intrenched in our culture...& no African Americans to me makes it pretty much irrevalent when compared to today.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Augustus

Yeah, the overall record kind of stings a bit, but then I think about Hogs beating texass the last year were in the SWC, as a final "eff you" to them... and all is well with the world.

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

JONAS

The ones that I remember that we should have won were in 1987, 1989, and 2004.  That 1987 game was the worst way to lose.  Tony Jones caught a TD pass as time expired.  We lost 16-14. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: JONAS on December 09, 2014, 07:55:50 pm
The ones that I remember that we should have won were in 1987, 1989, and 2004.  That 1987 game was the worst way to lose.  Tony Jones caught a TD pass as time expired.  We lost 16-14.

What I recall, vaguely, was from the time I first recall us playing Texas I was probably about 6...so 1975 or so.  From there, it's just a blur of made FG's to win by them, or some Notre Dame-like lucky crap that they beat us with.  Sometimes I swear there was a tractor beam that pulled the ball through the uprights when they kicked against us.  I should look that up....I bet they were like 50 - 2 in makes vs. misses.  Just ridiculous.

When you see how lopsided the series is, it sort of sheds light on why they don't view us as a rival anywhere near what they view TAMU.  I think most of that is because...well...who DOESN'T want to beat TAMU???     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

JansterZ71

So Texas has won over twice the amount of games?  Interesting
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Locutus_of_Boar

Generally the modern era of college football dates to 1946 which was the first era of full two-way football.

BTW here is one way to look at the Texas series:

Pre-Modern Era   1894-1945    5-18
SWC Glory Days  1946-1985   11-29
Modern Era         1986-2014     5-5

Danny J

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 09, 2014, 10:46:17 pm
Generally the modern era of college football dates to 1946 which was the first era of full two-way football.

BTW here is one way to look at the Texas series:

Pre-Modern Era   1894-1945    5-18
SWC Glory Days  1946-1985   11-29
Modern Era         1986-2014     5-5
1986 to present sounds good to me!!!

pigzwillrise

MJ2

Imagine the Hogs vs ASU.   The Hogs would win probably 90% of the games and it would not really mean anything to their program.   The years ASU wins, it would be a big deal for the ASU fans.    This is how the Texas vs Ark series has been.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 09, 2014, 06:44:19 pm
We had beaten Texas 3 times in a row—near the end of our SWC days (with Jack Crowe and QB Jason Allen), the Year 2000 Cotton Bowl (I was there...the only win out of the 5 CBs I've been to) and the great game in Austin with Matt Jones and Cedric Cobbs.

Not saying we should have won the 4th one...but we could have. Matt Jones' late fumble is what everyone remembers. But we really didn't play well that day. Every mistake we made was bigger than the one before, until we just ran out of time. And the ability to overcome them all. But man, I sure wished we would have scored there...just to see what Texas would have done.

And under Petrino, we got torched with Colt McCoy at QB for the Horns. We had no chance in that one.

to Quote E. Keith "Hell I was there."   We looked like a bad 6A West Team that afternoon.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: MJ2 on December 10, 2014, 08:22:58 am
Imagine the Hogs vs ASU.   The Hogs would win probably 90% of the games and it would not really mean anything to their program.   The years ASU wins, it would be a big deal for the ASU fans.    This is how the Texas vs Ark series has been.

Half of Texas' wins were pre-1953.  Great for them, but how many people know anything about those games other than the outcome? 

The last 10 games with Texas are split 5-5.  3 of those games where when both teams were ranked and 2 saw both teams unranked (in other words, both teams on relatively equal ground).  Hogs were 3-2 in those games.

Can you imagine a Sun Belt school going .500 over a 10 game stretch against an SEC team?  Just for comparison, the hogs have played ULM 10 times going 9-1...and it took a season where the wheels were falling off for that 1 win to happen.  I imagine a series with ASU would be like this (a bit more lopsided than ours with Texas).

southarkhog06

Quote from: MJ2 on December 10, 2014, 08:22:58 am
except out of the last 10 games against texas both teams have been ranked 3 times. which would never happen against asu because they will never be ranked. That also means it means more to texas then you let on just for the fact they are playing a ranked sec team. so its actually a terrible comparison and weak troll attempt.

footballfan

We've won 7 out of 25 all time against bama. that's 28%. We won 27% against Texas, so that's pretty darn similar.

Hogarusa

Even if you want to take those first 14 games out, its 42-21.  If you want to take out 14 more wins from them, then its 28-21.  I'm all for it

We are getting closer
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

pigmailyen

Check our record vs. Tenner.  That's close to Texas-style domination rat there.  What is it about orange???

And "somehow" is EXACTLY why this series bedevils us.  By hook and crook Texas has beaten us most years.  After a while it gets between the ears and starts screwing with our minds.  The evil empire must be crushed.  A hog victory is crucial!

I gotta log off, my bp's getting too high.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: pigmailyen on December 10, 2014, 12:29:10 pm
Check our record vs. Tenner.  That's close to Texas-style domination rat there.  What is it about orange???

And "somehow" is EXACTLY why this series bedevils us.  By hook and crook Texas has beaten us most years.  After a while it gets between the ears and starts screwing with our minds.  The evil empire must be crushed.  A hog victory is crucial!

fat Phil and DRoyal to name names but, as I posted earlier, since we have been in the SEC our game has elevated tremendously.....
We would have had an aTm or Mo. type season year after year at Arkansas but, Arkansas is Arkansas, they love to
shoot the hell out their feet every 5-7 years or so.....then go dormant...

It's because in the past after Frank led us to the Promise Land he got too old to dwell there and the "panties"
took over at Arkansas, where as - schools like 'Bama, are run by  F O O T B A L L   P E O P L E  ...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

redeye

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 04:57:48 pm
Record with LSU is nowhere being near being as lopsided as our series with Texas...   Record with LSU is 37–21–2 (LSU favor) and with Texas is 56-21 (Texas favor).   See the difference?  LSU holds only a 16 game advantage whereas Texas holds a 35 game advantage.... almost double...

(Note: Hogs are 4-4 vs LSU over past 8 years and are 4-4 over previous 8 games with Texass......  go figure....)

Yea, that's why I said no SEC team has dominated us in that fashion.  My point was merely that most of our losses to LSU also came long ago, like the OP mentioned with Texas.  We played LSU once between 1956-1992, so they missed our best decades, but we're playing them during theirs right now.

urkillnmesmalls

It's the orange.   >:(   My father in law HATES orange teams for that very reason.  "We can't beat orange teams...Texas, Tennessee.  Heck, we can't even beat teams with a little orange...like Florida.  We haven't beaten them since joining the SEC even when they stink!" 

He's genuinely convinced that we'll lose the bowl game.  I tried to talk him off the ledge, but he said he's just seen it too many times even when we were favored. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

redeye

Quote from: JONAS on December 09, 2014, 07:55:50 pm

We had so many heartbreaking losses to Texas.  In 1985, we scored 2 TD's and Texas beat us 15-13 on 5 FG's, even though we dominated the game as I recall.  We don't even have to mention '63 or '69.

So there's a lot more to the story about that 56-21 series advantage.

Quote from: footballfan on December 10, 2014, 11:48:24 am
We've won 7 out of 25 all time against bama. that's 28%. We won 27% against Texas, so that's pretty darn similar.

Alabama's on an 8 game win streak against us, with the best head coach in their history.  Before that streak began, we were 7-10 against Alabama and getting close to tying the series.

I think Tennessee (4-13) comes closest to matching Texas, because unlike Florida or Georgia, we did play Tenner yearly for a while.  However, most of those losses came during what was probably Tenner's best decade (i.e. the '90's), one loss was the Stoernover and one was the '71 Liberty Bowl which so many claim we were screwed out of a victory.  I don't know what it is with our scheduling, but we always seem to get everyone at their best.

JONAS

Quote from: redeye on December 10, 2014, 01:42:21 pm
We had so many heartbreaking losses to Texas.  In 1985, we scored 2 TD's and Texas beat us 15-13 on 5 FG's, even though we dominated the game as I recall.  We don't even have to mention '63 or '69.

So there's a lot more to the story about that 56-21 series advantage.

Alabama's on an 8 game win streak against us, with the best head coach in their history.  Before that streak began, we were 7-10 against Alabama and getting close to tying the series.

I think Tennessee (4-13) comes closest to matching Texas, because unlike Florida or Georgia, we did play Tenner yearly for a while.  However, most of those losses came during what was probably Tenner's best decade (i.e. the '90's), one loss was the Stoernover and one was the '71 Liberty Bowl which so many claim we were screwed out of a victory.  I don't know what it is with our scheduling, but we always seem to get everyone at their best.

You are right.  We always get teams when they are at their best.  Right now Florida sucks, but wait until they are back on our schedule.  They will be freaking loaded then.

moses_007

Broyles' teams beat Texas on average of once every five years.

Hatfield's teams beat Texas nearly every year.

pigmailyen

Quote from: moses_007 on December 10, 2014, 10:32:18 pm
Broyles' teams beat Texas on average of once every five years.

Hatfield's teams beat Texas nearly every year.

Twice in six seasons, not exactly what I'd call nearly every year but ok.

Mike Irwin

I researched the Texas-Arkansas series for a bowl special I produced back in 2000. Arkansas did not beat Texas until the 1930s. I interviewed a letterman from that era (he's now deceased). He said the old timers of his day used to talk about how Texas intimidated Arkansas and its fans in the early days of the rivalry. They had more players (sometimes as many as 150 on the team), way more fans and traditions that Arkansas had not yet developed. He said, "When we were in Austin and all those people stood up and sang The Eyes of Texas well, we didn't have anything like that. It was like we were playing the whole state of Texas."

A coach named Fred Thomsen ended the losing streak. Arkansas had a really good basketball team at the time and he took some of those guys and made them receivers. Using a "throw it up and catch it" offense Thomsen beat them in Austin in 1933 and then won four straight from 35-38. Fourteen Razorback coaches had failed to beat the shorthorns before he came along. So they had pretty good head start in the series.

It should be noted that the first great Razorback football coach was Hugo Bezdek from 1908-1912. In 1909-10 his teams lost only one game. Curiously Texas did not play Arkansas in those years. The old letterman told me that there was no way Texas could have beaten Bezdek's "wild band of Razorback hogs." 

"They were too afraid to play us those two years so the streak picked back up once (Steve) Creekmore (Arkansas first great QB) left," he said.

Read this about Creekmore: Arkansas prevailed over powerhouses Oklahoma, LSU and Washington of St. Louis in 1909, and was declared unofficial champions of the South and Southwest.[2] It was with the help of Steve Creekmore that this was accomplished. Creekmore became perhaps the first Razorback star, a quarterback from Van Buren who initially played only intramurals.[2] Bezdek used Creekmore to install a very early edition of the hurry-up offense, as the team never huddled and chased the ball after every play.[2] Creekmore was also known for "fast and slippery running, blocking, and passing" and could also return punts and tackle well.[2]

If you want to get fired up talk to Loyd Phillips about Texas if you ever get the chance. He played against them three times and Arkansas won all three games. He's a rare Razorback who never knew what it was like to lose to the tea sippers.

pigmailyen

Outstanding post, Mr. Irwin.
My grandmother went to UA in the '20s and disliked the longhorns.  Made no sense to me until December 6, 1969.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 11, 2014, 10:45:55 am
I researched the Texas-Arkansas series for a bowl special I produced back in 2000. Arkansas did not beat Texas until the 1930s. I interviewed a letterman from that era (he's now deceased). He said the old timers of his day used to talk about how Texas intimidated Arkansas and its fans in the early days of the rivalry. They had more players (sometimes as many as 150 on the team), way more fans and traditions that Arkansas had not yet developed. He said, "When we were in Austin and all those people stood up and sang The Eyes of Texas well, we didn't have anything like that. It was like we were playing the whole state of Texas."

A coach named Fred Thomsen ended the losing streak. Arkansas had a really good basketball team at the time and he took some of those guys and made them receivers. Using a "throw it up and catch it" offense Thomsen beat them in Austin in 1933 and then won four straight from 35-38. Fourteen Razorback coaches had failed to beat the shorthorns before he came along. So they had pretty good head start in the series.

It should be noted that the first great Razorback football coach was Hugo Bezdek from 1908-1912. In 1909-10 his teams lost only one game. Curiously Texas did not play Arkansas in those years. The old letterman told me that there was no way Texas could have beaten Bezdek's "wild band of Razorback hogs." 

"They were too afraid to play us those two years so the streak picked back up once (Steve) Creekmore (Arkansas first great QB) left," he said.

Read this about Creekmore: Arkansas prevailed over powerhouses Oklahoma, LSU and Washington of St. Louis in 1909, and was declared unofficial champions of the South and Southwest.[2] It was with the help of Steve Creekmore that this was accomplished. Creekmore became perhaps the first Razorback star, a quarterback from Van Buren who initially played only intramurals.[2] Bezdek used Creekmore to install a very early edition of the hurry-up offense, as the team never huddled and chased the ball after every play.[2] Creekmore was also known for "fast and slippery running, blocking, and passing" and could also return punts and tackle well.[2]

If you want to get fired up talk to Loyd Phillips about Texas if you ever get the chance. He played against them three times and Arkansas won all three games. He's a rare Razorback who never knew what it was like to lose to the tea sippers.

Thank you Mr. Irwin.  It's THIS ^^^  type of thing that makes it worthwhile to trudge through all of the trolling and asinine posts.  Gold. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 11, 2014, 10:45:55 am

man, thanks for this post!  Mike, do we have any claim to a national championship in anyway, shape, or form in either Hugo's run of terror or Thompsen's teams? Because it sure looks like it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2014, 03:14:07 pm
man, thanks for this post!  Mike, do we have any claim to a national championship in anyway, shape, or form in either Hugo's run of terror or Thompsen's teams? Because it sure looks like it.
Until the BCS formula was adopted the NCAA never sanctioned a college football national champion. All titles were "mythical." Some organization would name a national champion (AP, UPI, National Football Writers) and the school they named would claim it. Which is why Alabama claims a zillion national titles.

Back in Bezdek's day football outside the northeast and what used to be called the Midwest (Indiana, Ohio & Michigan) was considered more like the FCS (or Division II) of today.

But yes, I think you could say that Arkansas was a national champion of sorts in 1909. More like a Division II national champion.

woopigsooie1222

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 04:33:10 pm

You have such a way with words?
The South Will Rise Again!