Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Razorback fans in ground zero • Austin, Texas •

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, December 09, 2014, 05:50:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

I honestly couldn't fathom what your life must be like ....the bias media coverage & worse the co-workers!!

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

island hog

I lived in Austin for about 7 years...went to school and worked there after graduation.  Austin is one of the most awesome places to live ...the food, lakes, music, golf and most folks are just awesome (the cedar pollen sucks though).  I just got numb to the longhorn stuff everywhere and had no problem wearing all the Hog stuff I had.  The nice thing about it was that every game I went to, I had a new team to root for...whoever the horns were playing.  Most of my very best friends are horn fans, some women I know are the most die hard of all....I concur with the arrogance but it tends to wane as horn fans get older.  In all, Austin is a fantastic, beautiful place to live...and call the Hogs from! 

TXrazorback

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 09, 2014, 05:50:12 am
I honestly couldn't fathom what your life must be like ....the bias media coverage & worse the co-workers!!

It's perfectly fine here in Austin.  I wear my hog gear around regularly, watch the hogs and horns games with my neighbors, friends, and co-workers......we even cheer on each other's teams.  A lot of my buddies are excited about the bowl game because they have grown to like the Razorbacks. I am taking my longhorn friend to the game as a matter of fact.   

Austin is a great city, with great people, and a ton of things to do...you should visit sometime.
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

Corkscrew Johnson

I live in Austin.  Everybody here thinks they are about to get their asses kicked. 

A few posts earlier alluded to the fact that they were underwhelmed about the "brand" of getting Arkansas, and not LSU or A&M.  Not true.  It is nouveau chic to complain about the Horns now, and the only thing anyone is discussing is how they are about to endure an old school, drop your drawers, get out the switch, bite down on the leather, try not cry but it's gonna happen anyway, whoopin. 

DeltaBoy

I am in DFW but it still worse in Austin.   Just look at the Austin American  Statesman Newpaper.  It drips burnt orange.

http://www.statesman.com/
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bob slydell

Spent several years in San Antonio.  Close enough to Austin to make me want to  :puke: many times.  I remember one fiesta parade in SA when the horn marching band came marching by.  I had to leave after that.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

TXrazorback

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2014, 09:35:11 am
I am in DFW but it still worse in Austin.   Just look at the Austin American  Statesman Newpaper.  It drips burnt orange.

What else would you expect from a local paper???  Not sure what the problem with that would be.
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

gumbohog

I live in austin 12 years now)...definitely the best place to live in Texas. Could NOT live here without the internet and now the ability to watch every Hog game. My wife (and kids now) are Tea-sippers and we actually have season tickets (I also have Hog season tickets but usually only make 2 Hog games with all the youth sports I coach)...and I've worn a Hog cap to every longhorn game for 16 years since we started dating , including 2 national championships.

Can't wait to wear it to Arkansas national championship games!

Texas fans are arrogant...but it's been nice to see them get waxed the past few years...the meltdown has been fun to watch. This could be a close game but I hope to win big.  We need to bring our A game

Southern Hogspitality

I am in Austin.  I agree that it isn't bad here, my work is pretty evenly split between Horns and Aggies.  There is also a Rebel/Black Bear, LSU Tiger, Mizzou Tiger and a couple Texas Tech guys.  So it has been a fun year of smack talking and giving each other a hard time.  I don't watch or read local news so I miss any of that stuff. 

Excited to go to Houston and watch the Hogs show the horns how football is played.  Go Hogs

HoginHouston

Austin is a great city and some of our best friends are Horns.

I would say they are expecting to lose. They do really hate the SEC, but that is because they outsmarted themselves and got stuck in another dying conference. Should have come when they had the chance!
Go Hogs Go.

rlreev01

I would rather drag my cajonies through 1000 miles of hot desert sand sprinkled with shards of shaved glass than live in Austin, Texas!!!!

DeltaBoy

I got a Brother n law and family in Round Rock.   I attended the Hog vs Horns game CBP first year and I got verbally abused the whole game and was called a Texas Bitch by some folks after the game. I will never go back and I pray daily for ruination of the Whorn Nation.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

GolfnHog

Quote from: island hog on December 09, 2014, 08:02:21 am
I lived in Austin for about 7 years...went to school and worked there after graduation.  Austin is one of the most awesome places to live ...the food, lakes, music, golf and most folks are just awesome (the cedar pollen sucks though).  I just got numb to the longhorn stuff everywhere and had no problem wearing all the Hog stuff I had.  The nice thing about it was that every game I went to, I had a new team to root for...whoever the horns were playing.  Most of my very best friends are horn fans, some women I know are the most die hard of all....I concur with the arrogance but it tends to wane as horn fans get older.  In all, Austin is a fantastic, beautiful place to live...and call the Hogs from! 

^^^^
Couldn't agree more. Spent many a week in Austin during my career in Texas and the only problem was the friggin gridlock in traffic trying to get in or out of Austin.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hawk

Quote from: ArmyHawg on December 09, 2014, 09:46:49 am
Spent several years in San Antonio.  Close enough to Austin to make me want to  :puke: many times.  I remember one fiesta parade in SA when the horn marching band came marching by.  I had to leave after that.

I was in Sa for a couple of years. Can't think of anything I lost to make me want to go back there, much less Austin.

UhOhioHog

I love Austin!  Especially South Austin.  The music, the food, the people and the overall vibe of this city is like no other place I've ever been.  Most Austinite's are very warm and friendly people.  Yes, lots of liberals and longhorns, but, people from all over the country end up here and love it.  Graduates from everywhere and even local bars that cater to different University fan bases. Most horns fans (my wife included) have no problem with the Hogs and don't feel too confident going into the Texas bowl. 

ATX-my favorite place to call the hogs from.

60 Minutes of Hell

I've lived in Austin for about 5 years now.  I wear my hog gear all the time (including TX tailgates) and it almost always goes without notice.  The only time I ever caught any real flack was several years ago when I was walking into a beer garden while wearing an AR hoodie.  As I was entering I passed an older woman, late 60's or 70's, and she gave me the worst death stare I've ever encountered.

My boss actually has a football in his office that's signed by Frank Broyles.

I love it here, but the summertime heat and constant gridlock traffic are... really bad.  Seeing burnt orange everywhere bothered me for the first year or so, but eventually you learn to tune it out.  Then, when you get back to AR and see Razorback red everywhere, you appreciate it on a whole new level. 

On the 29th I plan to collect mass quantities of longhorn tears.  Won't be too hard to find a gypsy around here to figure out the best way to use them.
What a fool I used to be.

hoghiker

Quote from: gumbohog on December 09, 2014, 09:54:23 am
I live in austin 12 years now)...definitely the best place to live in Texas. Could NOT live here without the internet and now the ability to watch every Hog game. My wife (and kids now) are Tea-sippers and we actually have season tickets (I also have Hog season tickets but usually only make 2 Hog games with all the youth sports I coach)...and I've worn a Hog cap to every longhorn game for 16 years since we started dating , including 2 national championships.

Can't wait to wear it to Arkansas national championship games!

Texas fans are arrogant...but it's been nice to see them get waxed the past few years...the meltdown has been fun to watch. This could be a close game but I hope to win big.  We need to bring our A game
You allowed your offspring to become tea-sippers. Good lord, man:)

DeltaBoy

TXrazorback

Quote from: rlreev01 on December 09, 2014, 10:32:03 am
I would rather drag my cajonies through 1000 miles of hot desert sand sprinkled with shards of shaved glass than live in Austin, Texas!!!!

Ha!  I gotta tell you...I would most certainly live just about anywhere (including Vicksburg, MS) rather than have that happen to me. 

AUSTXHOG

Lived in the ATX for 8 years prior to moving back to home.  Love Austin.  My wife is a UT graduate, so this game (just like 03 and 04) will test the marriage.  Ha.

That is the only place I'd move too in Texas.  Very nice city, nightlife, outdoor activities.

My wife is a Razorback fan unless we play UT.  All of my children are hog fans.  No longhorn gear for the kids here.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: TXrazorback on December 09, 2014, 08:18:55 am
It's perfectly fine here in Austin.  I wear my hog gear around regularly, watch the hogs and horns games with my neighbors, friends, and co-workers......we even cheer on each other's teams.  A lot of my buddies are excited about the bowl game because they have grown to like the Razorbacks. I am taking my longhorn friend to the game as a matter of fact.   

Austin is a great city, with great people, and a ton of things to do...you should visit sometime.

Completely off the subject. We are driving to South Padre in the Spring. Is that new turnpike/bypass to the east of you worth the money for "through" traffic? ?

DermottHawg

I have lived in Austin for over 4 years. As with the rest of the comments, Austin is a great place to live. I haven't really notice any Longhorn arrogance at work or in public during my time in Austin.  I usually wear hog gear everywhere I go (Townlake, Greenbelt, etc) and Longhorn fans (especially the older ones) will talk to me with a sense of nostalgia how they enjoyed playing Arkansas in the SWC. I've even worn Hog gear to many Longhorn tailgates and never had an issue.  Actually, my hog shirt has always been a conversation starter at these tailgates.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2014, 02:13:42 pm
I love SA.

"They" say... "every Texan has two homes... wherever he lives, and.... San Antonio" :)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2014, 09:35:11 am

So does DMN, doesn't it?  (I live in DFW too..)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2014, 10:47:04 am
I got a Brother n law and family in Round Rock.   I attended the Hog vs Horns game CBP first year and I got verbally abused the whole game and was called a Texas Bitch by some folks after the game. I will never go back and I pray daily for ruination of the Whorn Nation.

I damn near died in Round Rock a few years back. Coming home from vacation down in SPI, 8 am Saturday morning, the old RV had a blowout on the interstate at 60 mph. As I steered to the side, the entire left front tire came completely off the rim. I got it off the interstate, down the offramp, and into a restaurant parking lot....on the rim.

So there I was 600 miles from home, at 8 am on Saturday, FUBAR. But a guy saw it happen, and offered to take me to a tire shop. Nice guy. Went to the tire shop, the guy there had no tire in stock for a 20-yr-old Dodge RV. But he called a buddy at another tire shop, and his buddy agreed to meet me there with his mobile service truck. .

The buddy had been on call all night, and was headed to his kid's soccer game. But he detoured to help us out. Already having one front tire blow out, I had him replace both.
Handed me the bill, it was about the same amount as I would have expected him to charge me at his shop; not the amount I would expect for a roadside call on a Saturday. So I offered him some extra. Would not take it. So I offered him some cash to buy the soccer team pizza. Would not take it.

So, just 90 minutes after a catastrophic blowout, on a Saturday morning, 600 miles from home, I was back on the road. The good folks of Round Rock have a soft place in MY heart. All texicans ain't bad.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: rlreev01 on December 09, 2014, 10:32:03 am

You need to be more open minded.  Texas as a state mostly sucks, but Austin is a really great city.

And most Austinites really don't give a crap about the Horns.  Or football, for that matter.

MENARKHOG

I've lived in Austin for 13 years now.  I have a degree from UT and work for the University.  Like many have said that have lived here awhile Austin is a great place to live.  It has a funky flavor that makes it unique and a fun place to live and play.  There are a lot of Arkansas fans here.  The Horn fans are every bit as arrogant as everyone says they are, but I have found that the older fans have a bit of respect and camaraderie with Arkansas.  You have to remember Broyles and Darrel Royal were life long friends.  If you can get beyond the raw emotions (arrogance, envy) of fans on both sides then you can get along fine here (and anywhere).

rlreev01

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 09, 2014, 04:53:00 pm
You need to be more open minded.  Texas as a state mostly sucks, but Austin is a really great city.

And most Austinites really don't give a crap about the Horns.  Or football, for that matter.

I have an open mind. I live in Texas and my two brothers live in Ausin,(Ones a Hog Fan and the other is the black shhep). My statement stands from experience!

Soooie21

A few guys at my work in Dallas thinks that the Hogs are a sleeping giant, who can't seem to get out their own way, losing games on the scoreboard they win on the field...

Sir Oinksalot

I've only been to Austin twice, one week I played in a big team golf tourney at Barton Creek....
was there a week, and last well, two weeks ago with a friend who grad. from Pharm. school there...
for 50 yrd. Line seats for the TCU game......we had a great experience and tried really hard to
Keep Austin Weird...

All my peeps cried like babies when Texas beat us n I think '84 I was young and it was in Fay....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Sir Oinksalot

...oh and from what I saw in the Tx./TCU game, we will win, we will beat them....

Their Qb. Position is really whacked, no way he scores on our D....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Tejano Jawg

I've been in Dallas since 1987, but honestly, I'd love to live in Austin. Good vibe, pretty scenery, cool music.

Surprisingly, all my Longhorn friends and acquaintances are really nice folks. And I know a lot of them. Can't think of any a-holes among them. The fact that, in my time here, Texas never really dominated us (see the Texas series thread) may have something to do with that. They have to be fairly subdued. Not to mention all the times we pounded them in basketball, starting in the early 90s.

Some of these people have come out of the woodwork since the bowl announcement. This will be fun.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

gumbohog

Quote from: hoghiker on December 09, 2014, 02:11:23 pm
You allowed your offspring to become tea-sippers. Good lord, man:)

I know I know...but my wife is a huge sports fan (she literally watched sports center at least 2 times /day) and huge Texas fan. That, and the fact they had one if their best years ever during a period my kids were young and impressionable (now 14,12 and 8) and it adds up. And i still HAVE to love them:-)

GBoling5000

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 09, 2014, 03:11:39 pm
Completely off the subject. We are driving to South Padre in the Spring. Is that new turnpike/bypass to the east of you worth the money for "through" traffic? ?

Depends on when you drive through, but generally worth the money.  IH35 is almost always slow, and flat out plugged up in the afternoon and holidays.  You don't stop and pay on Hwy 130 since there are no attendants, and I'm not sure you'll even get a bill if you are from out of state...plus you can go 80 or 85.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: PigParts on December 10, 2014, 08:09:56 am
Depends on when you drive through, but generally worth the money.  IH35 is almost always slow, and flat out plugged up in the afternoon and holidays.  You don't stop and pay on Hwy 130 since there are no attendants, and I'm not sure you'll even get a bill if you are from out of state...plus you can go 80 or 85.

As an out-of-stater, I can tell you that when I have driven on Texas toll roads that did not have pay stations, I flew right on through the TxTag gates just like everyone else and have never been required to pay anything. 

I think those roads are focused on getting payment from the commuters who use it every day and they figure it isn't worth bottling traffic just to squeeze a few dollars out of people who are passing through.

That's one of the many ways that Texas is superior to Oklahoma!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 09, 2014, 06:08:33 pm

...oh and from what I saw in the Tx./TCU game, we will win, we will beat them....

Their Qb. Position is really whacked, no way he scores on our D....

I was at that game as well.  TCU spanked them, but I expect a tougher game when we meet them.  Texas' defense has actually played pretty well this season and they are physically tougher than they have been in recent seasons.

TCU has receivers that can catch the ball, so they hit them with deep balls several times and stretched their defense.  We are not able to do that at all, so I expect the Horns to be tougher against us.

I agree about Swoopes.  I think we can harass that guy and force him into mistakes.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2014, 03:31:28 pm
So does DMN, doesn't it?  (I live in DFW too..)

The DMN trys to be all things to all college sports fans in DFW.  You can read about the whole big 12 and get 95% of what you want to know in one spot!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: PigParts on December 10, 2014, 08:09:56 am

It will be about 4 in the morning when we go through Austin on the way down. Never had any problems that time of night.

On the way back, however, it will be about 2 on Saturday afternoon. We always run into jammed traffic at that time.

So, I think I will take the toll road this year. Thanks for the advice!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 10, 2014, 08:24:37 am
As an out-of-stater, I can tell you that when I have driven on Texas toll roads that did not have pay stations, I flew right on through the TxTag gates just like everyone else and have never been required to pay anything. 

I think those roads are focused on getting payment from the commuters who use it every day and they figure it isn't worth bottling traffic just to squeeze a few dollars out of people who are passing through.

That's one of the many ways that Texas is superior to Oklahoma!

I wondered about that. On the particular vehicle we will be driving, it is real hard to see the license plate, anyway. I doubt that the eye-in-the-sky can ID us.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 09, 2014, 03:32:59 pm
I damn near died in Round Rock a few years back. Coming home from vacation down in SPI, 8 am Saturday morning, the old RV had a blowout on the interstate at 60 mph. As I steered to the side, the entire left front tire came completely off the rim. I got it off the interstate, down the offramp, and into a restaurant parking lot....on the rim.

So there I was 600 miles from home, at 8 am on Saturday, FUBAR. But a guy saw it happen, and offered to take me to a tire shop. Nice guy. Went to the tire shop, the guy there had no tire in stock for a 20-yr-old Dodge RV. But he called a buddy at another tire shop, and his buddy agreed to meet me there with his mobile service truck. .

The buddy had been on call all night, and was headed to his kid's soccer game. But he detoured to help us out. Already having one front tire blow out, I had him replace both.
Handed me the bill, it was about the same amount as I would have expected him to charge me at his shop; not the amount I would expect for a roadside call on a Saturday. So I offered him some extra. Would not take it. So I offered him some cash to buy the soccer team pizza. Would not take it.

So, just 90 minutes after a catastrophic blowout, on a Saturday morning, 600 miles from home, I was back on the road. The good folks of Round Rock have a soft place in MY heart. All texicans ain't bad.

Great story and the Baptist Children's home is in Round Rock and they are great too.

Sanctified Swine

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 09, 2014, 03:11:39 pm

absolutely worth it. 85 miles an hour opposed to 35. It also dumps you out all the way to Seguin.

Sanctified Swine

in Austin for 19 years now. I actually love being a hog fan here. I love the antagonist role!

txrazerbck

I have been here since 1981.  It's gotten a lot better over the years.  The reason is they don't really have that many fans, they have a lot of people that will wear a t shirt (like my wife) but they don't live and die by their teams performance.  Most people that I talk to believe they are going to get crushed by us.

oilman

I have lived in Austin since 1991 and each year the traffic gets worse and summers brutal heat seems to get longer and longer.  I grew up in outside of Chicago where the winters seemed to last forever.  I miss NW Arkansas because it has four seasons.  My wife and I plan to retire in Arkansas in a few years.  Most Longhorns are surprised I have a full set of teeth and not married to my sister. That being said, I have made friends with both UT & Aggies. From my experience A&M folk seem to be much nicer, down to earth than the horns.  Looking forward to getting out of here and back to the natural state.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: txrazerbck on December 10, 2014, 12:14:01 pm
I have been here since 1981.  It's gotten a lot better over the years.  The reason is they don't really have that many fans, they have a lot of people that will wear a t shirt (like my wife) but they don't live and die by their teams performance.   

This is true.  After the 48-10 pounding by TCU, Texas fans seemed mostly unaffected by it.  No anger or frustration around the stadium.  People just went back to whatever they were doing.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 09, 2014, 06:55:59 pm
I've been in Dallas since 1987, but honestly, I'd love to live in Austin. Good vibe, pretty scenery, cool music.

Surprisingly, all my Longhorn friends and acquaintances are really nice folks. And I know a lot of them. Can't think of any a-holes among them. The fact that, in my time here, Texas never really dominated us (see the Texas series thread) may have something to do with that. They have to be fairly subdued. Not to mention all the times we pounded them in basketball, starting in the early 90s.

Some of these people have come out of the woodwork since the bowl announcement. This will be fun.
Never met Rick Perry eh?

DeltaBoy

Redhogs

Quote from: Soooie21 on December 09, 2014, 05:54:07 pm
A few guys at my work in Dallas thinks that the Hogs are a sleeping giant, who can't seem to get out their own way, losing games on the scoreboard they win on the field...
They are right about this year.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?