Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Championship team selection .. would this not work?

Started by vandybuff, December 08, 2014, 12:25:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vandybuff

Sagarin ratings, as of Dec 06

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

.... I mean, isn't this why The Big Guy gave us numbers? 

A blessed and merry Christmas to you all!
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Bacons Rebellion

You would put a 3 loss Ole Miss team in the playoffs over an undefeated RETURNING national champion? You need to work on that.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 08, 2014, 12:52:16 pm
You would put a 3 loss Ole Miss team in the playoffs over an undefeated RETURNING national champion? You need to work on that.

The selection is all about politics and appearances. An unbiased computer based selection based on power is as good as any and depending on the algorithms used is probably superior to a human committee.
My answer to that is to use an average of the selection committee picks, the coaches poll, the AP poll ( all human and biased picks, plus three computer programs like Saragin.

The key is to publish weekly one ranking but not identify it. The human polls need to be accountable by publishing the members votes.

I agree with Briles in that the committee needs to have equal geographic representation.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 08, 2014, 01:32:31 pm
The selection is all about politics and appearances. An unbiased computer based selection based on power is as good as any and depending on the algorithms used is probably superior to a human committee.
My answer to that is to use an average of the selection committee picks, the coaches poll, the AP poll ( all human and biased picks, plus three computer programs like Saragin.

The key is to publish weekly one ranking but not identify it. The human polls need to be accountable by publishing the members votes.

I agree with Briles in that the committee needs to have equal geographic representation.
If you are calling this good, you would be in the minority.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

bigdaddyhawg

Computer ranking are only as good as the guy who programmed them.

And apparently Jeff Sagarin needs to tweak his.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

lefty08

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 08, 2014, 01:32:31 pm

Yeah and we can call it the bowl championship series! Awesome idea!
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

count of bacon

This should be the format:
5 conference champions
3 at large
total of 8.         Bama vs mich state
                          Ohio state vs baylor
                           Florida state vs tcu
                            Oregon vs Mississippi state

shotgun7

Quote from: count of bacon on December 08, 2014, 11:15:48 pm
5 conference champions
3 at large
                          Ohio state vs baylor
                           Florida state vs tcu

I don't understand the urge to give all 5 confs auto bids...what happens when the day comes you have a 3-4 loss ACC or Big 10 champ? Would you put them in over a 1 or 2 loss SEC team that didn't make the SEC champ game because they lost to an undefeated team? Of course not. Either leave it like it is (my least fav option), Go to 6 teams with the top 2 getting byes... go to 8 or go to 10 with top 2 getting byes. but take the top 4, 6, 8 or 10 teams in the country.

Pork Twain

Quote from: shotgun7 on December 09, 2014, 02:17:09 am
I don't understand the urge to give all 5 confs auto bids...what happens when the day comes you have a 3-4 loss ACC or Big 10 champ? Would you put them in over a 1 or 2 loss SEC team that didn't make the SEC champ game because they lost to an undefeated team? Of course not. Either leave it like it is (my least fav option), Go to 6 teams with the top 2 getting byes... go to 8 or go to 10 with top 2 getting byes. but take the top 4, 6, 8 or 10 teams in the country.
Like the NFC South

NFC SOUTH   W   L   T   
Atlanta           5   8   0   
New Orleans   5   8   0   
Carolina           4   8   1   
Tampa Bay   2   11   0   

cypert2

Quote from: shotgun7 on December 09, 2014, 02:17:09 am

This. Take the top eight.
Swinging on the two and the four.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2014, 04:59:17 am
Like the NFC South

NFC SOUTH   W   L   T   
Atlanta           5   8   0   
New Orleans   5   8   0   
Carolina           4   8   1   
Tampa Bay   2   11   0   

But here is the difference, the NFL has divisions, and there is a very well defined set of criteria for making the playoffs. There is no group sitting around choosing who plays. That is my big gripe and was my big concern with the college playoff. There is not real set of rules for getting in. That is not going to change if all they do is go to 8 teams. All that changes then is they get to pick more teams, and the heat on them moves from who they left out at 5 & 6 to who they left out at 9 and 10.

And before anyone says 9 & 10 really should not complain, I ask why should they not complain, but 5 & 6 should cry like a baby ( Briles ), and basically throw a temper tantrum because they played a pathetic ooc schedule, and lost to a pretty weak wvu team, albeit on the road.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

count of bacon

Shotx. Let the players decide who gets the majority of teams(5).  Also, if a conference dominates they would have their champion, and 2 or more of the at large teams.

count of bacon

hogsanity

Quote from: count of bacon on December 09, 2014, 11:21:12 am
Basketball takes champion, why shouldn't football.

bball also take about half of the teams as at large bids as well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: count of bacon on December 08, 2014, 11:15:48 pm
5 conference champions
3 at large
                          Ohio state vs baylor
                           Florida state vs tcu

That would be some pretty freaking classic playoff IMO.

I know such a format would bring other challenges, but OMG that would be fun!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on December 09, 2014, 11:25:18 am
bball also take about half of the teams as at large bids as well.
Not even close to correct
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hogsanity

Quote from: lefty08 on December 09, 2014, 07:52:35 pm

Really? There are 32 Auto bids and 36 at large bids.