Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Texas Bowl is Must Win for Bielema and Fans

Started by Robert Shields, December 08, 2014, 10:30:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

#fastest40

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2014, 09:38:47 pm
This is the first bowl game for anyone on our team.  I would have to believe that provides some motivation.  Texas improved as the year went on, and to be blunt...this isn't the easiest match up for us.  They're stingy against the run, and we'll have to pass the ball to beat them.  My hope is they don't continue to improve in the next three weeks, and our kids come out with something to prove. 

I have to admit...I'm a little more worried than some people.  When Vegas only picks us by 6, that's a bad bounce or blown call away from losing, and Vegas typically does pretty well on their predictions. 

Take about a bad taste...  It's not a must win though...I disagree with that.  We're still missing some difference makers at WR, and depth on both sides of the ball in places.  That's coming, but it's not here yet....and we saw a dramatic improvement over last year.  NOT a must win...not even close.   

the seniors, even though few made contributions, were on the team as freshmen for the Cotton Bowl

redeye

Glad to see we didn't forget to post a "must win" thread for this game.  I mean, we haven't missed one all year, but with the break, I was afraid we might forget.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 08, 2014, 12:22:32 pm
Guv, Nutt isn't coming back.

And Jimmy isn't doing color commentary for the men's basketball team............................Only Gov could come up with that gem!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Biggus Piggus

How could you call Wisconsin unprepared, Robert? They ran into a buzzsaw. Ohio State is legit.

You had to know, though, that the power of the Big Ten would trump the Big 12. That's the laughable part about the four-team playoff. They went into this with five power conferences, knowing full well that one would be left out. From the beginning, it was Big Ten vs. Big 12, as long as Florida State remained unbeaten with its pitiful schedule.

On accomplishments, Florida State did not deserve to make the field of four even undefeated. Too weak schedule. But they won the last BCS title, so as long as they're undefeated they're going to the football final four.

The Big 12 might have stood a chance if its top team were called Texas or Oklahoma. Otherwise, no li'l church school's gonna make it over The OSU.
[CENSORED]!

jkstock04

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2014, 09:38:47 pm
This is the first bowl game for anyone on our team.  I would have to believe that provides some motivation.  Texas improved as the year went on, and to be blunt...this isn't the easiest match up for us.  They're stingy against the run, and we'll have to pass the ball to beat them.  My hope is they don't continue to improve in the next three weeks, and our kids come out with something to prove. 

I have to admit...I'm a little more worried than some people.  When Vegas only picks us by 6, that's a bad bounce or blown call away from losing, and Vegas typically does pretty well on their predictions. 

Take about a bad taste...  It's not a must win though...I disagree with that.  We're still missing some difference makers at WR, and depth on both sides of the ball in places.  That's coming, but it's not here yet....and we saw a dramatic improvement over last year.  NOT a must win...not even close.   
I think we hold Texas to under 10 points as their offense is beyond pathetic. Obviously our offense isn't gonna light up the scoreboard, but I feel comfortable in saying if we get to 20 points we win this game fairly easily.

I don't see how this isn't a must win. Take away the 50+ yr olds fetish for still considering this a major rival....and this is just an extremely down Big 12 team we should beat easily given the proper game plan. I look forward to seeing it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

cypert2

You're right. We do need to win this game. Don't know if it's a MUST win, but after losing every close game we've been in for two years, we need to step up and beat a team we should beat. That's what good teams do.  Anyone that thinks Texas wouldn't of been in the playoffs with TCU's record is really clueless. RS is right about the playoffs. The Big 10 was awful this year. Who did anyone in the Big 10 beat except cupcakes and each other?
Swinging on the two and the four.

Cresthog

Quote from: cypert2 on December 09, 2014, 09:54:21 am
You're right. We do need to win this game. Don't know if it's a MUST win, but after losing every close game we've been in for two years, we need to step up and beat a team we should beat. That's what good teams do.  Anyone that thinks Texas wouldn't of been in the playoffs with TCU's record is really clueless. RS is right about the playoffs. The Big 10 was awful this year. Who did anyone in the Big 10 beat except cupcakes and each other?

Who did TCU beat besides a crappy big 10 team and the rest of their crappy conference? Baylor is even worse.

Do people think before they post? 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cresthog on December 09, 2014, 10:02:49 am
Who did TCU beat besides a crappy big 10 team and the rest of their crappy conference? Baylor is even worse.

Well...TCU dismantled Minnesota to the tune of an easy 23 pt. win.  OSU narrowly beat them by 7 pts.

TCU had Baylor beat, and through a series of horrible defensive meltdowns, they managed to lose, or they would have been undefeated.  Who did OSU beat that's any good?  They lost, AT HOME, to Virginia Tech. 

The Big !0 got a team in because of OSU's reputation, and a failure by the Big 12 to have a championship game to clearly convey a champion of the conference. 

I've yet to hear a solid argument as to why OSU deserves to go ahead of either Baylor or TCU.  Wisconsin's offense is so one dimensional that it makes our look dynamic.  Wisconsin had nothing to play for in that game...they were going to the second place Big 10 finisher bowl no matter what. 

If the Big 12 was won by OU or TX with the same results Baylor and TCU had...they're in.  Or....if any team other than UM or OSU from the Big 10 win, the conference title....then Baylor would have gone. 

NO WAY anyone convinces me otherwise, and there absolutely is bias.  That's what people asked for by moving away from the computers, and having a final four decided by a committee.  That's what they got.  Now...when Baylor and TCU destroy their opponents in their bowl games, it will just further bring to light that even with four teams in a playoff, they NC is still mythical.  Put 8 in there...and you'll still have number 9 and 10  whining.  That's just how it is...

Just like Patterson said...."All we had to do was go undefeated."  He said it with grace and dignity, but I think the underlying point was clear.  A Big 12 team wasn't getting in without going undefeated unless FSU lost. 

Truth is...I think the ACC is probably stronger than the Big 10.  But no way FSU gets in if they lose once.  No bias?  BS.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I still think the most unimpressive team in the top 5 is FSU. They barely won against one crappy opponent after another.

GuvHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 08, 2014, 12:22:32 pm
Guv, Nutt isn't coming back.

To me that's very good news because I don't want him anywhere near the Razorback football program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 08, 2014, 12:58:34 pm
So if we don't win, we won't recruit anymore?

It's not a must win. It would be a nice win.

A loss would hurt recruiting so recruiting wise, it is a must win.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: GuvHog on December 09, 2014, 10:53:28 am

You don't understand the definition of "must." Oh well.

Cresthog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 10:40:22 am
Well...TCU dismantled Minnesota to the tune of an easy 23 pt. win.  OSU narrowly beat them by 7 pts.

TCU had Baylor beat, and through a series of horrible defensive meltdowns, they managed to lose, or they would have been undefeated.  Who did OSU beat that's any good?  They lost, AT HOME, to Virginia Tech. 

The Big !0 got a team in because of OSU's reputation, and a failure by the Big 12 to have a championship game to clearly convey a champion of the conference. 

I've yet to hear a solid argument as to why OSU deserves to go ahead of either Baylor or TCU.  Wisconsin's offense is so one dimensional that it makes our look dynamic.  Wisconsin had nothing to play for in that game...they were going to the second place Big 10 finisher bowl no matter what. 

Truth is...I think the ACC is probably stronger than the Big 10.  But no way FSU gets in if they lose once.  No bias?  BS.   

Nice argument for TCU to be unbeaten. If only Arkansas hadn't had a series of offensive and defensive meltdowns in those 6 losses we'd be undefeated too!

The fact is TCU isn't, and while OSU was beating the living crap out of decent team in a championship game, with a Heisman finalist, TCU and Baylor were playing meaningless games, taking 3 weeks off and crying at home. They should have known the implications.

And of course there is bias. As I've asked 1000 times, who wants 2 b-team high school programs with high school stadiums in a 4 team playoff over OSU? Not me.

It's 2 sub 15,000 student private schoosl vs a 50k+ public school rich with tradition. $$$ talks and of course they picked OSU.

Stick to baseball if you want "fair" my friend. It ain't ever going to happen in CFB.

If Patterson and Briles want "fair" go to a big school and compete with the best, stop hiding behind your little protected baby programs in your baby conference. TCU, Baylor and Boise State should start a 3 team "power spread" conference. It will be ILLEGAL to take snaps under center, you must have a minimum of 5000 jersey combos and it will be called the BHC. (Butt hurt conference).

Cresthog

Quote from: GuvHog on December 09, 2014, 10:53:28 am

Again I ask the question, were out classes following the Sugar Bowl and Cotton bowl not our two weakest in the last 5 years?

It doesn't matter. People only remember who won and lost the NC game. No recruit is going to give a rats butt if we won a meaningless game against TX. How often do we EVER directly recruit against UT?

GuvHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 09, 2014, 08:57:00 am
I think we hold Texas to under 10 points as their offense is beyond pathetic. Obviously our offense isn't gonna light up the scoreboard, but I feel comfortable in saying if we get to 20 points we win this game fairly easily.

I don't see how this isn't a must win. Take away the 50+ yr olds fetish for still considering this a major rival....and this is just an extremely down Big 12 team we should beat easily given the proper game plan. I look forward to seeing it.

Finally! Someone who gets it.  +1

cypert2

Quote from: Cresthog on December 09, 2014, 10:02:49 am

And Ohio St had such a tough schedule. Their big win was Wisconsin, who lost to the number 5 team in the SEC- W.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Tylerhog

Quote from: John Futrall on December 08, 2014, 11:19:19 am
Figure out a way to play a conf championship and get back to me. Texas would not have been in the playoff if they had the same schedule and results as TCU

Uhhh, yes they would.

Cresthog

Quote from: cypert2 on December 09, 2014, 11:18:14 am
And Ohio St had such a tough schedule. Their big win was Wisconsin, who lost to the number 5 team in the SEC- W.

Not saying they did but you can't sit here and say that TCU or Baylor's schedule was VASTLY better than OSUs.

No way in hell the committe is going to put small brand programs in when they have a chance to put tOSU in. I hate them as much as anyone but thats the way it is and always will be. The rich get richer. Welcome to America and the world.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Cresthog on December 09, 2014, 11:26:45 am
The rich get richer. Welcome to America and the world.

Shareholder profits decided this year's fourth and final qualifier for the Playoffs. 

I am reminded of the definition of Naive....reading some of these responses.  Thx for the LOLs

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cresthog on December 09, 2014, 11:03:20 am
Nice argument for TCU to be unbeaten. If only Arkansas hadn't had a series of offensive and defensive meltdowns in those 6 losses we'd be undefeated too!

The fact is TCU isn't, and while OSU was beating the living crap out of decent team in a championship game, with a Heisman finalist, TCU and Baylor were playing meaningless games, taking 3 weeks off and crying at home. They should have known the implications.

And of course there is bias. As I've asked 1000 times, who wants 2 b-team high school programs with high school stadiums in a 4 team playoff over OSU? Not me.

It's 2 sub 15,000 student private schoosl vs a 50k+ public school rich with tradition. $$$ talks and of course they picked OSU.

Stick to baseball if you want "fair" my friend. It ain't ever going to happen in CFB.

If Patterson and Briles want "fair" go to a big school and compete with the best, stop hiding behind your little protected baby programs in your baby conference. TCU, Baylor and Boise State should start a 3 team "power spread" conference. It will be ILLEGAL to take snaps under center, you must have a minimum of 5000 jersey combos and it will be called the BHC. (Butt hurt conference).

Let's be clear...this is not a discussion of styles of football, sizes of universities, or anything other than who was chosen based on what they did during the season.

If Baylor had played TCU in a "rematch" Big 12 championship game, then the odds would have been greater that they had gotten in.  I'm still far from convinced that they would have gotten in over OSU, based almost SOLELY on reputation. 

For a committee that claimed to be taking it week by week, for TCU to go from 3rd to 6th after dismantling ISU makes zero sense.  Not only did they not take it week by week in the end, they went based on prior decades of tradition. 

That's exactly what you're saying, and that's NOT what the committee's task was.  Again...OSU beat Minnesota by 7, 31-24.  TCU beat them 30-7, giving up only 7 pts total.  That's their only common opponent, but to me...that indicates that saying OSU is somehow out of TCU's league doesn't hold water. 

I think TCU would beat OSU by 2 TD's...maybe more.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: sowmonella on December 09, 2014, 04:16:33 pm
sigh.....

Sigh...that's exactly what the Big 12 is doing right now for NOT having a conference championship game, and facing reality that it was going to take being undefeated for either TCU or Baylor to get in. 

I knew the committee would take OSU if they beat Wisconsin by a single point.  I just think it's a joke that they moved TCU up to 3rd, ahead of FSU, only to drop them back to 6th when the dust settled. 

They feel the picked the four best teams, and that was their job.  I don't agree, but that doesn't matter...neither does TCU or Baylor, and they're sitting at home licking their wounds.  That's life....it ain't fair, and this committee doesn't change that. 

Cresthog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 04:30:22 pm
Sigh...that's exactly what the Big 12 is doing right now for NOT having a conference championship game, and facing reality that it was going to take being undefeated for either TCU or Baylor to get in. 

I knew the committee would take OSU if they beat Wisconsin by a single point.  I just think it's a joke that they moved TCU up to 3rd, ahead of FSU, only to drop them back to 6th when the dust settled. 

They feel the picked the four best teams, and that was their job.  I don't agree, but that doesn't matter...neither does TCU or Baylor, and they're sitting at home licking their wounds.  That's life....it ain't fair, and this committee doesn't change that. 

Then we agree. And it will continue to happen until Patterson and Briles nut up and move to big time jobs.

TCU and Baylor are not big time jobs. Once Oklahoma and Texas end their rectal cranial inversions, the fairy tale is over for the PCUs of Texas.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Tim

Or what? Must win or what? Program dismantles? CBB loses his job? Jim Chaney enrolled in weight watchers? Josh Melton spends time in the clink?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cresthog on December 09, 2014, 04:38:37 pm
Then we agree. And it will continue to happen until Patterson and Briles nut up and move to big time jobs.

TCU and Baylor are not big time jobs. Once Oklahoma and Texas end their rectal cranial inversions, the fairy tale is over for the PCUs of Texas.

And Crest...while I admire your tenacity in running down those programs, I'm curious.  Don't you think there are a LOT of people both in and out of the SEC who would say EXACTLY the same thing about Arkansas given a similar situation?  UGA, Bama, Fla, and LSU will always be viewed as the haves, and the rest of us are relegated to have not Johnny come lately up-starts when we have big years.  We sneak up and have a few good seasons, and they'll say precisely the same thing about those four being in rectal cranial inversions and everyone else enjoying success is just biding time.

I for one think those programs would get wrecked by Bama.  But...guess what, just last year we witnessed a mediocre OU team get past them, and while Bama may have mailed it in, if those teams are as horrible as you're suggesting, then Bama should have been able to beat them on cruise control.   

jrhardy88

Usually read it,often don't agree but different point of view is enlightening.Love the hatred and bile every time he posts...my goodness your lives must suck.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

jmb1973

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 08, 2014, 02:43:57 pm
It is a must win for me since we chocked the TAMU game away.  It is inbearable down here some times when we lose to TAMU and TEXAS!

And Jesus wept.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 08:07:56 pm
And Crest...while I admire your tenacity in running down those programs, I'm curious.  Don't you think there are a LOT of people both in and out of the SEC who would say EXACTLY the same thing about Arkansas given a similar situation?  UGA, Bama, Fla, and LSU will always be viewed as the haves, and the rest of us are relegated to have not Johnny come lately up-starts when we have big years.  We sneak up and have a few good seasons, and they'll say precisely the same thing about those four being in rectal cranial inversions and everyone else enjoying success is just biding time.

I for one think those programs would get wrecked by Bama.  But...guess what, just last year we witnessed a mediocre OU team get past them, and while Bama may have mailed it in, if those teams are as horrible as you're suggesting, then Bama should have been able to beat them on cruise control.   

Damn dude, your knocking this thread out of the park. You are 100% correct about Arkansas being in the "have-not" category in the SEC. If we were in Alabama's position right now Im not so sure that the committee wouldnt have chosen a Big12 team over us and justify it as a "down year" for the SEC. Thats basically what TCU and Baylor are dealing with.

Im not old enough to remember the Glory Days of Arkansas football in the 60s, but the ONLY time I remember Arkansas getting any respect nationally is when Petrino was here. Thats it. If Arkansas is "unlucky" enough to win the SEC in a down year, we may find ourselves in the same boat as TCU and Baylor are right now.

That said, I wouldnt rag on Baylor or TCU......cause ya know, Karma.

RexMentor

Last time I looked, Hogville was a message board, and yet Robert continues to post column-length drivel -- poorly reasoned, poorly written trash. It should stop.

Hoggish1

Long did look foolish.

The committee should have never had FSU at No. 4.

They should have had Baylor and TCU tied at No. 4  and OSU at No. 6.

When OSU blew out WI and made the showing they did in a 13th game, it would have been justification enough to move them to four. 

But you can't move a team to six from three when they should not have been there to begin with.

Randy Johnson

Jamie Jones

Must win?? It is a chance to get 10-15 extra practices at the end of the season. It is a chance to have some recruits and possibly some former players (NFL) visit the team and said recruits. It is a great reward to the players, especially those who endured the two years of dumpster fire caused by Bob and John L, to be in a bowl game. It is a chance to renew an old rivalry with a team a lot of us still consider the Goliath to our David. But a must win, no.

TCU and Baylor are feeling the pain of Texas' overbearing bullying of refusing to participate in expansion for the sake of any further shared revenue. If they were really the Big 12 instead of the Little 10, they would have 12 teams, a championship game, and likely a representative in the playoff. While I agree that Texas and Oklahoma are bigger brands, a 12-1 OSU who won their conference championship 59-0 over a ranked Wisconsin, would still trump a 11-1 Texas or Oklahoma. The Big 12 has no one to blame but themselves. Hoping that their co-champs would be 2 of 3 or 4 one loss teams, thereby giving them 2 playoff teams, bit them in the end. And will happen again.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 10, 2014, 06:58:49 am
Long did look foolish.

The committee should have never had FSU at No. 4.

They should have had Baylor and TCU tied at No. 4  and OSU at No. 6.

When OSU blew out WI and made the showing they did in a 13th game, it would have been justification enough to move them to four. 

But you can't move a team to six from three when they should not have been there to begin with.

The committee should have released one set of rankings, the ones released this week.

Then no one looks like an idiot, no fans/teams/coaches crying like little babies, no drama every week.

On second thought, nevermind leave it like it is.

Rocky Mountain Living

$$$ decides CFB rankings and can easily be predicted by schedule....playoffs too IMO....really awesome to watch the controversey!

sets of eyeballs = $$$ generated for Shareholders

College Football TV ratings for the 2013 season....
www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/   appreciate if someone tallied top 30 or 50 ratings for 2014 season.   see excel file in link

Baylor had just 1 top 30 game last year.

TCU's best rating in 2013 tied for 89th place.

If interested, here are the 30 most watched games of the season for 2013:

Date..................Rating.........Viewers.....T ime.......Teams.........Network
    Saturday, December 7 8.6 14.35M 4:00 PM Missouri Auburn CBS

Saturday, September 14 8.5 13.59M 3:30 PM Alabama Texas A&M CBS

Saturday, November 30 8.2 13.78M 3:30 PM Alabama Auburn CBS

Saturday, December 7 7.9 13.90M 8:00 PM Michigan State Ohio State FOX

Saturday, November 9 6.9 11.90M 8:00 PM LSU Alabama CBS

Saturday, November 30 5.8 9.50M 12:00 PM Ohio State Michigan ABC

Saturday, September 7 5.3 8.65M 8:00 PM Notre Dame Michigan ESPN

Saturday, November 2 5.1 8.35M 8:00 PM Miami Florida State ABC

Saturday, August 31 4.8 8.14M 8:00 PM Georgia Clemson ABC

Saturday, November 23 4.7 7.51M 3:30 PM Texas A&M LSU CBS

Saturday, December 7 4.7 7.28M 12:00 PM Oklahoma Oklahoma State ABC

Saturday, September 28 4.6 7.39M 3:30 PM LSU Georgia CBS

Saturday, October 5 4.4 7.36M 8:00 PM Ohio State Northwestern ABC

Saturday, September 7 4.3 7.05M 4:30 PM South Carolina Georgia ESPN

Saturday, October 19 4.2 6.73M 3:30 PM Auburn Texas A&M CBS

Saturday, September 28 4.0 6.75M 8:00 PM Wisconsin Ohio State ABC

Saturday, November 23 4.0 6.62M 8:00 PM Baylor Oklahoma State ABC

Saturday, December 14 3.9 6.22M 3:30 PM Army Navy CBS

Thursday, November 7 3.6 5.73M 9:00 PM Oregon Stanford ESPN

Saturday, September 21 3.5 5.73M 8:00 PM Michigan UConn ABC

Saturday, October 5 3.5 5.61M 3:30 PM Georgia Tennessee CBS

Saturday, October 19 3.4 5.68M 8:00 PM Florida State Clemson ABC

Saturday, October 19 3.4 5.34M 3:30 PM Iowa Ohio State ABC-R

Saturday, October 19 3.4 5.34M 3:30 PM UCLA Stanford ABC-R

Saturday, November 16 3.4 5.32M 3:30 PM Georgia Auburn CBS

Saturday, November 30 3.4 5.72M 7:45 PM Texas A&M Missouri ESPN

Saturday, December 7 3.4 5.66M 8:00 PM Duke Florida State ABC

Saturday, November 2 3.3 5.17M 3:30 PM Michigan Michigan State ABC

Saturday, September 21 3.2 4.79M 3:30 PM Michigan State Notre Dame NBC

Saturday, October 12 3.2 5.11M 9:18 PM* Texas A&M Mississippi ESPN

Tied for 33rd:

Friday, November 29   3.1   4.96M   2:30 PM   Arkansas   LSU   CBS

Cresthog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 08:07:56 pm

No, I absolutely do not think we fall anywhere near TCU and Baylor on the have not scale.

If we were in either one of their positions, we'd have been a lot closer to making the playoff than either of them.

Hell MISSISSIPPI STATE was set to make the playoff.

Like I said, if those two coaches want to be in the big time game, step up to a big time program, in a big time league.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cresthog on December 10, 2014, 12:40:41 pm
No, I absolutely do not think we fall anywhere near TCU and Baylor on the have not scale.

If we were in either one of their positions, we'd have been a lot closer to making the playoff than either of them.

Hell MISSISSIPPI STATE was set to make the playoff.

Like I said, if those two coaches want to be in the big time game, step up to a big time program, in a big time league.

Right now the sentiment by many is that Bama is the team to beat.  We're going to find out, because all season long the sentiment was that the SEC West was the gauntlet, and best conference division in the nation.  One made FG, and we could have completely changed the landscape for Bama and the SEC West.  So...there's always some luck involved, and having a committee hasn't changed that. 

But just like Dana White says about MMA..."Don't leave it in the hands of the judges."  That's what TCU and Baylor did by losing a game, and I thought Briles looked like a poor sport and a whiner with his comments.  At least Patterson took it like a man.     

Cresthog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 10, 2014, 01:50:16 pm
But just like Dana White says about MMA..."Don't leave it in the hands of the judges."  That's what TCU and Baylor did by losing a game, and I thought Briles looked like a poor sport and a whiner with his comments.  At least Patterson took it like a man.     

Totally agree. Maybe this will open both up to moving onto the bigger jobs they are always being named for.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cresthog on December 10, 2014, 03:00:15 pm
Totally agree. Maybe this will open both up to moving onto the bigger jobs they are always being named for.

Good point.  If they like it there because they feel secure with the fan appreciation, then I can understand that sentiment.  It may come in handy when they have some down years, which are inevitable in almost any program. 

But, if that's their comfort zone, then don't whine about it when you lose a game and get left out.  That's especially true when they play 1 less game, which would be a championship game against a proven opponent. 

Having said that...I still think TCU would beat OSU by 2 TD's, and I'm far from impressed with OSU's schedule.  Heck for that matter UGA, Auburn, and MSU would likely all beat OSU, but that's irrelevant in the end.  Just because the top 4 are identified doesn't mean they're the top 4...and life goes on.