Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players Gift Bag....

Started by brenthog, December 07, 2014, 11:36:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthog

Thought it would be nice to keep a post of the different bowls gifts and especially the Texas Bowl.

brenthog

Last year Texas Bowl was Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and a belt buckle

Doug

Give me a second... I actually retweeted the list of goodies last week. I'll post it up here in a sec.

Click on the image below to view the larger version.

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

OldCoot

Quote from: Doug on December 08, 2014, 08:52:52 am
Give me a second... I actually retweeted the list of goodies last week. I'll post it up here in a sec.

Click on the image below to view the larger version.

So, they get a duffel bag, cap, and a belt buckle.  I guess the sponsor pays for this?  Couldn't they at least get a best buy gift card?

Amityvillehogger

Peach & Military bowls are pretty solid gifts. Quick Lane Bowl would be cool having a fathead of yourself.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

yraciv

I'd say we got the short end of the stick on gifts. Can't imagine a bunch of student athletes at a Nike school are happy with an Adidas duffle bag, a hat, and a belt buckle.  Two of those three would never get put to use by me.  And the Adidas bag would sit in my closet most of the year.

SPAL

That can't be the entire list. Look at the rose bowl. All they get is a watch, a backpack, and a cap?

BorderPatrol

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 08, 2014, 10:00:30 am
That can't be the entire list. Look at the rose bowl. All they get is a watch, a backpack, and a cap?

Yeah, I imagine that is a very abbreviated list.

bp

yraciv

Some of these bowls seem to be clueless to what student athletes want.  Belt buckles, watches, a blanket, and a jacket?  Just give them electronics or gift cards, so they can pick out their own darn.  I don't know about you, but if I get a commemorative bowl game hat it might get worn for 2 or 3 months.  And that is only if we won. If not, I'd pawn it off for free.

ricepig

Quote from: BorderPatrol on December 08, 2014, 10:03:28 am
Yeah, I imagine that is a very abbreviated list.

bp

Plus the gift room, I believe.

LRRandy

Quote from: yraciv on December 08, 2014, 10:04:12 am
Some of these bowls seem to be clueless to what student athletes want.  Belt buckles, watches, a blanket, and a jacket?  Just give them electronics or gift cards, so they can pick out their own darn.  I don't know about you, but if I get a commemorative bowl game hat it might get worn for 2 or 3 months.  And that is only if we won. If not, I'd pawn it off for free.
you could trade it for tattoos.
This is fun, isn't it.

Reservoir Hogs

Texas bowl also has a gift suite which is basically an order form from different retail sponsors that the players get to order out of.  Max gift is $550, so subtract the actual gifts, (looks to be under $100) they can spend the rest in the gift suite.

NLRHog92

Quote from: LRRandy on December 08, 2014, 10:08:14 am
you could trade it for tattoos.

If it's unique, I'd rather have something that last as memorabilia rather than the hottest electronic at the time. A lot of them probably already have something to that effect, just how today's society works. But a belt buckle could be encased and maybe with a plaque of the date/score for seniors. That's something to look back on and be proud of in 30 years. Not an iPad or Beat headphones that will be outdated. Go Hogs, Tuck Fexas!  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

younghog

Quote from: OldCoot on December 08, 2014, 09:46:18 am
So, they get a duffel bag, cap, and a belt buckle.  I guess the sponsor pays for this?  Couldn't they at least get a best buy gift card?

They get  gift suite Card as well. Notice the 'YES' under gift suite
GO HOGS

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

greasy_corner

Back in the day, the players were allowed to make their own travel travel arrangements to the game, and charge the millage.   Most ride share and take home some cash that way too.  I'm assuming that still happens.

Ex-Trumpet

Lots of backpacks and cheap watches...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jeramyaupton

Pardon the dumb question but how does this not violate the gifting rules of the NCAA?

FraggleHog

Gift Suite is the best part... they get some pretty insane stuff
Calling the Hogs from DFW

ricepig

Quote from: jeramyaupton on December 08, 2014, 03:30:21 pm
Pardon the dumb question but how does this not violate the gifting rules of the NCAA?

Because the NCAA is ok with it.

PigDaddyKane

What's the deal with Fossil Watches?
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

PorkSoda

Quick Lane Bowl gift is cool.  everyone gets a fathead self likeness.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorcineSublime

Of course this doesn't include the "hundred dollar hand shakes" that many to most schools' boosters offer for a good performance on the field. That's the gift that keeps on giving Clark. ;)
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

DadVader1

If it were me, I would want the fixed gifts to be few and inexpensive so that I got to spend more of the allowed cash on the things I wanted from the gift suite.  It looks like the Texas bowl kept down the cost of the fixed gifts to leave the players more to spend on gift suite items. 

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: DadVader1 on December 09, 2014, 08:52:36 am
If it were me, I would want the fixed gifts to be few and inexpensive so that I got to spend more of the allowed cash on the things I wanted from the gift suite.  It looks like the Texas bowl kept down the cost of the fixed gifts to leave the players more to spend on gift suite items. 

yep thats a good way to do it... I am wondering what the claimed retail value of that custom fathead is that the Quick Lane bowl is giving out... They aren't cheap to begin with and a customized one has to be more pricey

minman

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on December 09, 2014, 08:58:52 am
yep thats a good way to do it... I am wondering what the claimed retail value of that custom fathead is that the Quick Lane bowl is giving out... They aren't cheap to begin with and a customized one has to be more pricey

$139.99 http://www.fathead.com/custom/diecutflow.aspx

code red

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 08, 2014, 10:00:30 am
Yep it is....the gifting has subsided substantially.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou