Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Bowl Bid Was a Home Run

Started by NaturalStateReb, December 07, 2014, 09:12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Cresthog on December 08, 2014, 10:14:43 am
No beef, but I don't consider a city without zoning laws "world class".

Well, you mean to tell me they don't force every citizen to install a privacy fence on personal property. Stinkin' Libertarians! They'll be the ruin of this country. You watch.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

HoginHouston

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 10:20:39 am
Well, you mean to tell me they don't force every citizen to install a privacy fence on personal property. Stinkin' Libertarians! They'll be the ruin of this country. You watch.

If you don't think Houston's a world-class city, you haven't been paying attention.
Go Hogs Go.

Hawgzinbowlz

NRG Stadium looks to be first rate.

Any stadium that uses a grass surface for professional football games then changes to AstroTurf GameDay Grass for college and high school games is above and beyond most stadiums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_Stadium

" GO HOGS "

Ex-Trumpet

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/hotproperty/archives/2007/10/how_houston_gets_along_without_zoning.html

What is unique about Houston is that the separation of land uses is impelled by economic forces rather than mandatory zoning. While it is theoretically possible for a petrochemical refinery to locate next to a housing development, it is unlikely that profit-maximizing real-estate developers will allow this to happen. Developers employ widespread private covenants and deed restrictions, which serve a comparable role as zoning. These privately prescribed land use controls are effective because they have a legal precedence and local government has chosen to assist in enforcing them.

Not sure I understand your beef with people and their property rights.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Redhogs

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on December 08, 2014, 06:53:13 am
LSU and Ole Miss are more hated by most hog fans than Auburn.  We will stomp Texas. Our D-line will rock their world.  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
Don't agree with that...AU loss is almost as good as a Razorback win....allot of us feel that way...read some past threads.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 10:20:39 am
Well played.. ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Redhogs on December 08, 2014, 11:38:46 am
Don't agree with that...AU loss is almost as good as a Razorback win....allot of us feel that way...read some past threads.

That's the thing...25 years ago it was undisputed among all Hog fans:  Texas sucked more than anything that had ever sucked!

Today there are factions that hate Auburn, others that hate LSU, others that hate Ole Miss, etc.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

lasthog

Quote from: Cresthog on December 08, 2014, 10:03:40 am
World Class City? It certainly beats Memphis, Shreveport and Birmingham but cmon.
LMAO.

Get out much? Maybe Paris or NYC would have worked for you.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: lasthog on December 08, 2014, 12:04:11 pm
Get out much? Maybe Paris or NYC would have worked for you.

NYC is friggin cold in December!

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: HoginHouston on December 08, 2014, 10:43:27 am
If you don't think Houston's a world-class city, you haven't been paying attention.

I'm on your side. I was arguing with the stray from Jump Ball. I have been through and stayed in Houston many times. Greenspoint area and the Woodlands area mostly. I will say that I believe Houston, for its size, is very clean.

HoginHouston

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 02:21:57 pm
I'm on your side. I was arguing with the stray from Jump Ball. I have been through and stayed in Houston many times. Greenspoint area and the Woodlands area mostly. I will say that I believe Houston, for its size, is very clean.

Glad to hear it. Hog fans should check out the Museum District, Discovery Green, and lots of our restaurants.
Go Hogs Go.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: HoginHouston on December 08, 2014, 02:23:54 pm
Glad to hear it. Hog fans should check out the Museum District, Discovery Green, and lots of our restaurants.

I believe I have been to D. Green. I was down there during 4th of July and they had a big festival set up and a concert. It was fun.

Inhogswetrust

I bet you're one of those one issue voters huh? Houston is one of the largest metro areas in the country with a HUGE economic impact on it. I say yes that alone qualifies it as word class.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoginHouston

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2014, 05:05:50 pm
I bet you're one of those one issue voters huh? Houston is one of the largest metro areas in the country with a HUGE economic impact on it. I say yes that alone qualifies it as word class.

Amen, brother.
Go Hogs Go.

Cresthog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2014, 05:05:50 pm

So a one dimensional economy, a MASSIVE illegal immigrant population and some tall buildings are the new requirements for being world class?

News to me. Again, I'd much rather be there than the other options but the only people that consider Houston a "world class city" are folks where the next best city in the entire world is either Dallas/Little Rock. To me its OKC closer to the mexican border with access to the ocean and older oil money. I've lived in Chicago, LA and now STL. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I live in one of the most dangerous crapholes in the USA, but at least ill admit it. And hell, I like it, but I'm not going to sit here and proclaim STL as a worldly city because of the arch.

I'm sorry man but if you rank it up there with the NYCs, San Frans, Tokyos, Singapores, Shanghai's, Paris, Barcelonas, Madrids, Berlins and London's of the world, you REALLY need to get out more.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Cresthog on December 09, 2014, 08:49:13 am
So a one dimensional economy, a MASSIVE illegal immigrant population and some tall buildings are the new requirements for being world class?

News to me. Again, I'd much rather be there than the other options but the only people that consider Houston a "world class city" are folks where the next best city in the entire world is either Dallas/Little Rock. To me its OKC closer to the mexican border with access to the ocean and older oil money. I've lived in Chicago, LA and now STL. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I live in one of the most dangerous crapholes in the USA, but at least ill admit it. And hell, I like it, but I'm not going to sit here and proclaim STL as a worldly city because of the arch.

I'm sorry man but if you rank it up there with the NYCs, San Frans, Tokyos, Singapores, Shanghai's, Paris, Barcelonas, Madrids, Berlins and London's of the world, you REALLY need to get out more.

Not sure we received a bowl invite to any of those cities.

Cresthog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 09, 2014, 10:52:31 am
Not sure we received a bowl invite to any of those cities.

Not sure where I said we did or that I would prefer to go to a bowl in any of those cities?

Simply arguing the notion that Houston is a "world class city". Is it really that complicated?

thefisher

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 07, 2014, 10:33:42 pm
No downside to this match up  ..... Could not have envisioned a better post season opportunity than this.

Totally agree.  There is no downside to this bowl. 

If folks were asked before the season started how they would feel if the Hogs went 6-6 and got Texas in this bowl game I think everyone would have called it a homerun season. That is particularly true when considering the circumstances coming in and the schedule being faced.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

NaturalStateReb

That's what makes Stuttgart world class.  Can't say about Houston.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

December 09, 2014, 01:19:24 pm #69 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:55:52 pm by Inhogswetrust

You didn't hurt my feelings at all. You simply stated because of a lack of zoning that Houston couldn't be a world class city. Having ONLY stated ONE criteria what is anyone to think? So give us your definition of a "world class" city. How many in the world are there in your eyes? Just because the petroleum industry dominates the Houston economy doesn't mean it isn't world class. There are other industries as well and arts and sports and world class hospitals, etc. I get out quite a bit. I've never been to Europe but been to LA to many times to count when our son lived there and I've been to SF so many times due to my son now living in San Jose (and Taipei) I'm practically a resident. My favorite city of all is actually Vancouver, Canada. I love Tokyo as well. I have family by marriage in Japan since our daughter in law is from Japan and we love going there. I don't care what you think but to me Chicago sucks. Been there a few times and it wouldn't bother me if I never went back. So in your mind tell me why it is world class to you but not Houston. I'd rather live in Dallas or Houston over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 09, 2014, 01:03:02 pm
That's what makes Stuttgart world class.  Can't say about Houston.

Do grain bins qualify as tall buildings? Shoot, Alicia might be world class, hmm.....

pigture perfect

Houston doesn't suck nearly as much, now that the Astro's are in the American League. But it's still in Texas. And I used to date a girl from Humble. Problem was she wasn't. I love this bowl matchup however. Takes the sting out of the Missouri loss a little.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 02:21:57 pm

I travel to Houston a lot and I usually stay in the Greenspoint area, I love JimmyG's Cajun restaurant when I am in town.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Cresthog

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 09, 2014, 01:37:51 pm
Houston doesn't suck nearly as much, now that the Astro's are in the American League. But it's still in Texas. And I used to date a girl from Humble. Problem was she wasn't. I love this bowl matchup however. Takes the sting out of the Missouri loss a little.

How does the league they are in change anything? I hear that a lot, just purely curious on the Astros.

Only follow them now that Kuechal has made his splash.

thefisher

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2014, 01:33:04 pm
Do grain bins qualify as tall buildings? Shoot, Alicia might be world class, hmm.....

If they will only grandfather in double wides then a new tourism marketing boom is in sight!

Some of the more entrepreneurial types on here might get a Tshirt going along that line.

It might become as famous as the Arkansas jersey mock ups that had the pinecones on the pants.

In fact bringing those out for the bowl game has real potential!  I don't have that pic but it was an all time classic thread!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2014, 01:33:04 pm

+1 for obscure Northeast Arkansas reference.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Sportster365

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 07, 2014, 09:12:00 pm
Lots of 6-6 bowl bids aren't very exciting. Going is certainly better than not going, but they all too often feature a trip to nowhere in the freezing cold against an unremarkable opponent.

This bowl bid though, is fantastic. In Houston, inside, against hated Texas. Can't really ask for a better bowl outcome.

How much, if any, did Jeff Long's new found influence play a roll in our team landing this bowl invite? I mean seriously we landed a better bowl than Georgia, LSU, Florida, S.Carolina, Texas A&M and Tennessee, in almost every aspect. The Texas bowl claims a higher payout, great location, and this year a decent opponent, if not but in nothing more than name only.

It would be completely naïve to believe there wasn't some serious "politic'n" going on here. Which gives me all the more reason to appreciate Long being here.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 10, 2014, 12:20:57 pm
How much, if any, did Jeff Long's new found influence play a roll in our team landing this bowl invite? I mean seriously we landed a better bowl than Georgia, LSU, Florida, S.Carolina, Texas A&M and Tennessee, in almost every aspect. The Texas bowl claims a higher payout, great location, and this year a decent opponent, if not but in nothing more than name only.

It would be completely naïve to believe there wasn't some serious "politic'n" going on here. Which gives me all the more reason to appreciate Long being here.

I agree

Kudos to Jeff and the U of A.

I was a bit skepitical, but am now a firm believer.

Tomhog™

I can't believe most of this thread revolves around whether Houston is "world class" or not. LOL

Then again, this is Hogville where everything is debated into oblivion....

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 10, 2014, 01:29:32 pm
I can't believe most of this thread revolves around whether Houston is "world class" or not. LOL

Then again, this is Hogville where everything is debated into oblivion....

The arguments are so intense because the stakes are so small.

jrhardy88

Great matchup couldn't have worked out better,excited about it.Some people just love to whine and complain...they can't help it.Suck the damn fun out of everything.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: SamBuckhart on December 07, 2014, 09:50:10 pm
Playing in an NFL stadium will be fun for the team also. Will not be hard to get game face on for this one.

Could be Flowers 1st home game...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 09, 2014, 02:16:25 pm
+1 for obscure Northeast Arkansas reference.

Yeah, I was going to say Hopewell, but I didn't think Alicia's suburbs would count.

FraggleHog

This fact seems to sneak up on people... Houston is the 4th largest city in the US behind NY, LA and Chicago. Exxonmobile is relocating their global headquarters to the Woodlands area. I believe this is the largest corporate relocation in history. Some who haven't been down there in a while would be surprised about all of the development in the suburbs. (Of course I'm biased as my wife was born in Sugarland). But still... No doubt Houston is a World Class city!
Calling the Hogs from DFW

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2014, 02:45:53 pm
Yeah, I was going to say Hopewell, but I didn't think Alicia's suburbs would count.

I don't think Minturn would count either.  lol