Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Bowl Bid Was a Home Run

Started by NaturalStateReb, December 07, 2014, 09:12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Lots of 6-6 bowl bids aren't very exciting. Going is certainly better than not going, but they all too often feature a trip to nowhere in the freezing cold against an unremarkable opponent.

This bowl bid though, is fantastic. In Houston, inside, against hated Texas. Can't really ask for a better bowl outcome.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawgzinbowlz

It was an interesting mood swing between the time of "Oh, h8!! no, not ECU in That Birmingham dump", to " Oh yeah, Texass in Houston".

Got tickets and looking forward to the 29th.

" GO HOGS "

HatfieldHog

Will be a good game, Texas has improved.  But, whatever it is, it's Ark. vs. Texas! As far as anyone is concerned, it's the '69 shootout again!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

SamBuckhart

Playing in an NFL stadium will be fun for the team also. Will not be hard to get game face on for this one.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

TX HOG

Are there really $40 tix avaliable?

Sir Oinksalot

Totally agree NSR !!   The buildup to this Bowl with all the pageantry, history will be electric by game time....

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Hogs7672

Great Bowl, I live in Texas, already having fun with the game, plus we couldn't pay for the recruiting benefit this give's us.

HogInFlorida

An indoor NFL stadium against an old rival from days past. Its awesome. Id be happy with this if we were 10-2 haha
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 07, 2014, 09:12:00 pm
Lots of 6-6 bowl bids aren't very exciting. Going is certainly better than not going, but they all too often feature a trip to nowhere in the freezing cold against an unremarkable opponent.

This bowl bid though, is fantastic. In Houston, inside, against hated Texas. Can't really ask for a better bowl outcome.

Been saying that very thing. It is all good.
Go Hogs Go!

Pigsknuckles

No downside to this match up (especially for us old farts). Could not have envisioned a better post season opportunity than this.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jgphillips3

Texas is a lot better than they were, but we are battle hardened.  Give us a healthy QB and we pull a W against our only really hated opponent...well...other than Auburn...

Smokehouse

And even a 6 win Texas team is still Texas. It's a big name opponent. We could have gotten a matchup against a better team that no one nationally wants to talk about.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Hawgzinbowlz

Tix, Rooms, Fuel, Food and Time.

It's a good time to be A Hog.

:puke:::hornsdown::

" GO HOGS "

Hawg_Thai'd

I agree and I feel that after the schedule we just played, by god, we deserve to be indoors sittin' in good chairs. I wonder if we are going because we really were the Texas Bowl's first choice or perhaps JL called in a favor. You gotta know there has to be a lot of politickin' going on behind the scenes leading up to these events. Coke tryin' to sneak in and get them to switch from Pepsi. And them pork snacks that Hogfaniam posted about awhile back. They are small fish now, but they will get bigger. just you watch. That is all.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 06:20:21 am
I agree and I feel that after the schedule we just played, by god, we deserve to be indoors sittin' in good chairs. I wonder if we are going because we really were the Texas Bowl's first choice or perhaps JL called in a favor. You gotta know there has to be a lot of politickin' going on behind the scenes leading up to these events. Coke tryin' to sneak in and get them to switch from Pepsi. And them pork snacks that Hogfaniam posted about awhile back. They are small fish now, but they will get bigger. just you watch. That is all.

One big change this year is that the conference makes the calls, not the bowls. I think the SEC was looking to make compelling matchups.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 08, 2014, 06:31:17 am
One big change this year is that the conference makes the calls, not the bowls. I think the SEC was looking to make compelling matchups.

South Carolina vs Miami?

In Shreveport?

The 'We Got Last Pick We Got Stuck With This Bowl'
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

rzrbackrob

The absolutely best result that could realistically have happened.

Texa$$ gets chance to beat a SECSECSEC  team that abandoned them for greener pastures.

Hogs get to whip Texa$$.  :puke: ::hornsdown::
Good is the enemy of great

demonHOG1013

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 07, 2014, 10:40:37 pm
Texas is a lot better than they were, but we are battle hardened.  Give us a healthy QB and we pull a W against our only really hated opponent...well...other than Auburn...

LSU and Ole Miss are more hated by most hog fans than Auburn.  We will stomp Texas. Our D-line will rock their world.  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

gmarv

seems like one of those the sec screwed us times ----not.i think this is a reward for all that positive reporting we got about us fighting thru all those d@#$n close losses.couldn,t be happier with this bowl for my hogs.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 08, 2014, 06:49:19 am
South Carolina vs Miami?

In Shreveport?

The 'We Got Last Pick We Got Stuck With This Bowl'

There may not be 20K at this game.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rickm1976

Quote from: Hogs7672 on December 07, 2014, 10:10:34 pm
Great Bowl, I live in Texas, already having fun with the game, plus we couldn't pay for the recruiting benefit this give's us.

We just better make sure we win.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HatfieldHog on December 07, 2014, 09:23:48 pm
Will be a good game, Texas has improved.  But, whatever it is, it's Ark. vs. Texas! As far as anyone is concerned, it's the '69 shootout again!

See ya

I'm thinking more along the lines of it's the Cotton bowl again! We actually won that one!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LJHOG

Quote from: HatfieldHog on December 07, 2014, 09:23:48 pm

See ya
;D Not for Texas fans.

DeltaBoy

Winner all the way around. Now JUST beat the Heck out of TEXAS! :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 06:20:21 am

Personally, I think it had more to do with the Aggies running from big brother (with the SEC's help).

bp

Smokehouse

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 08, 2014, 06:31:17 am

I think after all the auto-bids were done, the SEC was looking to create matchups where the SEC was most likely to win.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

GolfnHog

Quote from: SamBuckhart on December 07, 2014, 09:50:10 pm
Playing in an NFL stadium will be fun for the team also. Will not be hard to get game face on for this one.

Agree but the Hogs already have experience in playing in a pro stadium; we go to Jerry's World year in and year out. That being said, it's gonna be nice to get into the 2nd one before Texas did and in their own state.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

DeltaBoy

Being Indoors also ends the weather worries.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawg_Thai'd

I am going to voice my opinion on the matter and say the F@GGIES are a bunch of cowards if they let Texas run them off. I know they didn't want to play each other, but for A&M to not lay claim to that stadium and make Texas go somewhere else speaks VOLUMES about self preservation. SEC is GREATER than the little 12 everyday of the week and twice on Saturday. A&M is a disgrace and it is up to the HOGS to go down there, rattle some heads, and by god steak our WPS and SEC flags in the ground! Ya'll are getting me mad now. If I had a truck, I'd go down to Austin myself and start the show early. I'm mad.   >:(

Hoggish1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 07, 2014, 10:40:37 pm

...and OlePiss and Mistake and LSWho and...

GuvHog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on December 08, 2014, 08:37:20 am
Personally, I think it had more to do with the Aggies running from big brother (with the SEC's help).

bp

True, but now Texas A&M has become the big brother and is #1 in Texas recruiting. Don't think for one minute that the Longhorns won't be trying to make an example of the Hogs to send a message to the Aggies. Hogs gotta take their "A" game to Houston.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: GolfnHog on December 08, 2014, 08:42:12 am
Agree but the Hogs already have experience in playing in a pro stadium; we go to Jerry's World year in and year out. That being said, it's gonna be nice to get into the 2nd one before Texas did and in their own state.

Texas is fixin' to get seriously beach slapped when we show up and they won't know whether to cry or run away.   

Cresthog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 08, 2014, 08:49:04 am
Being Indoors also ends the weather worries.

I think the game being in Houston ended the weather worries.

Cresthog

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 09:02:35 am
Texas is fixin' to get seriously beach slapped when we show up and they won't know whether to cry or run away.   

Yep, just like Mizzou.

hogsanity

If not for the opponent, everyone would be crying about this bid. Of all the probable destinations, it is one of the farthest trips. Will require an overnight stay, is basically a home game for the whorns. If the opponent was K-State everyone would have much rather gone to Shreveport or Memphis.  Granted, it is better than B-ham.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

philobeddoe

I'm headed to Austin next week on business.  Don't think for a second that I won't be stirring the pot while I'm there!!!  Can't wait until the 29th!!! Hope to tailgate with some of you guys and gals!!!

GolfnHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 09:07:29 am
If not for the opponent, everyone would be crying about this bid. Of all the probable destinations, it is one of the farthest trips. Will require an overnight stay, is basically a home game for the whorns. If the opponent was K-State everyone would have much rather gone to Shreveport or Memphis.  Granted, it is better than B-ham.

It's a bowl game and the Hog fans are renowned for traveling well regardless of location. This matchup would have Hog fans going anywhere to see it but as it worked out, it's a warm weather locale, indoors and Houston has more to offer than all the other destinations that were on the board.

The only place I wasn't going was Memphis. I don't ever want to risk being that friggin cold again.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Cresthog on December 08, 2014, 09:03:19 am
Yep, just like Mizzou.

Go back to Jump Ball. I don't need your help. I can screw this up all by myself.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: philobeddoe on December 08, 2014, 09:08:10 am
I'm headed to Austin next week on business.  Don't think for a second that I won't be stirring the pot while I'm there!!!  Can't wait until the 29th!!! Hope to tailgate with some of you guys and gals!!!

Well, don't even consider coming back until you drive through Austin with your window down and screw "Woo Pig Sooie - Screw you Steers" at least `10-12 times.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: GolfnHog on December 08, 2014, 09:13:10 am
It's a bowl game and the Hog fans are renowned for traveling well regardless of location. This matchup would have Hog fans going anywhere to see it but as it worked out, it's a warm weather locale, indoors and Houston has more to offer than all the other destinations that were on the board.

The only place I wasn't going was Memphis. I don't ever want to risk being that friggin cold again.

I was hoping for Houston all along for that very reason. I have selfish reasons that I am considering and if things work out, it will be a good time.

philobeddoe

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on December 08, 2014, 09:22:59 am

Well, don't even consider coming back until you drive through Austin with your window down and screw "Woo Pig Sooie - Screw you Steers" at least `10-12 times.

LOL!!! Will Do!!!

scooby21322

Won't be inside.  I went to the Texas Bowl last year (parents live in Houston and I was there for Christmas, so why not?) and the roof was open. 

HoginHouston

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 09:07:29 am

This is completely idiotic. The Texas Bowl is played in a world-class city, in a dome, and with a much higher payout. The Liberty Bowl gets to pick their Big 12 team after the Texas Bowl.

This bowl selection is a home run. If you want to be a big-time program, you need a fan base willing to travel further than three hours to watch a game. Hog fans will represent well in Houston.
Go Hogs Go.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HoginHouston on December 08, 2014, 09:43:01 am
This is completely idiotic. The Texas Bowl is played in a world-class city, in a dome, and with a much higher payout. The Liberty Bowl gets to pick their Big 12 team after the Texas Bowl.

This bowl selection is a home run. If you want to be a big-time program, you need a fan base willing to travel further than three hours to watch a game. Hog fans will represent well in Houston.

Not to mention there's lots of Hog fans that live in Texas...and will be going to the game!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hawg_Thai'd

We were treated kindly on this deal. They basically bumped us up from coach to First Class.

Cresthog

World Class City? It certainly beats Memphis, Shreveport and Birmingham but cmon.

LMAO.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Cresthog on December 08, 2014, 10:03:40 am
World Class City? It certainly beats Memphis, Shreveport and Birmingham but cmon.

LMAO.

What's your beef with Houston?

bp

Oklahawg

As much of a home run as it can be.

Hog fans could be slotted as the dead-ass last team in the SEC. It is where we would be if taken at face value of wins and conference standings. We get a plum assignment - playing a Power 5 team in a good market for recruiting (not to mention SEC marketing) and the only game on TV that night - and others get Bham. How are the Florida boards this morning?

Anytime Arkansas can return to its SWC haunts it conjurs up fond memories and a good traveling crowd.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Cresthog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on December 08, 2014, 10:07:52 am
What's your beef with Houston?

bp

No beef, but I don't consider a city without zoning laws "world class".