Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you trust this Hog team vs Texas?

Started by fullfan, December 07, 2014, 08:50:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: goodguytex on December 08, 2014, 12:23:00 am
What concerns be a little is this generation of players just may not have the Texass hate that us fans who remember playing Texass every year do. It will help that we have quite a few texas born players on our team. But the team really do need to involve some Hogs from years past in this.

You could say that about any Texas game since we left the SWC, but it's never been a problem.  Players feed off the fans far more then we realize, both in positive and negative ways.  I can often see the same negative thoughts on the field at our games, as I do on hogville regularly.

Westcoasthog

Hook 'Em  Hogs - Arkansas has more talent to take Texas to the woodshed.

blazerback

I saw mentioned somewhere yesterday that AJ was able to practice a little bit. If Derby is healthy, I like our chances of winning a little more. Sprinkle just isn't the game changer that Derby can be.

24-13 Hogs.

razorsharptusk

Play Hog ball.  That is all our team should be focused on.  Treat this opponent just like it's the next one you have to play.  Don't get caught up in the environment. Do what you do.  Not only is that a sign of a mature team, but a step to becoming a championship team.
GO HOGS!!

GolfnHog

Quote from: goodguytex on December 08, 2014, 12:00:56 am
We came within one point of tying up the team that will probably be NCs. What Bielema needs to do is have a film session with the players, show them the 1969 Texass game, have Broyles, Switzer, and other Hog greats of years past talk to the team, get them some education on the rivalry. And get them fired up to kick some Texass Ass.

Love the idea but let's make it even better. There's a guy that is "All Everything" in the NFL right now that has a connection to the Hogs: JJ Watts, and dam if he doesn't live in the neighborhood down in Houston.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Michaelt

One big incentive to this game is the fact that both teams are 6-6; so one team will finish the season with a winning 7-6 record, the other with a losing 6-7 record.

I believe after the last couple of seasons and with the improvements we've seen this season, these players will play for the 7-6 record (another building block on this new regime) which would give a huge boost for 2015.

As has been stated earlier, I don't see these players on either team having as much of a passion for the SWC rivalry as many of us older fans cling to.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Tripod1

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 07, 2014, 09:05:07 pm
Take no team for granted! Prepare and execute! Play like you got to win and lash your shoes up tight!
This is all that needs to be said.

MJ2

No.  Close game, low scoring, Hog Heartbreak, Texas Turnaround is in full swing during entire off season.

DeltaBoy

Brandon will be all healed up from that Ole Piss cheap shot and we will be ready to steam roll the Short horns like we did in 2000!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AugustaHog

The Longhorn offense reminds me of LSU without the nasty running game.  Swoopes and Jennings are both scatter armed and make poor decisions.  If we repeat our plan from LSU, I think we win by 3 TDs.  They just aren't very impressive.  That said, I think we will need to force some turnovers because our offense will struggle to move the ball against their D.  If we put the O on a short field a couple times, this will be the butt whoopin we are all hoping for.

jkstock04

Texas' offense may be worse than ours as crazy as that sounds. I think expectations should be to win this game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Without a doubt this will be a low scoring game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2014, 01:23:45 am
In contrast, Bielema is 2-5 and one of those wins was over us, when we were without a coach.  I like a lot of what I'm seeing with our coaches, but things like playing a hurt QB against Missouri, make it hard for me to have too much confidence.

This isn't accurate. It was against Missouri in the Cotton Bowl when we didn't have a coach. Our coach was very busy texting before the Capital 1 Bowl against Wisconsin. Bielema's played very well against a good Arkansas team.

Jamie Jones

Team rankings mean very little unless you are comparing teams that played similar schedules. Which Arkansas and Texas did not. But even comparing common opponents is sketchy at best. Most bowl games come down to the attitude that the teams come into the game with. Feelings of indifference by a superior team can lead to them getting embarrassed...see Alabama last Sugar Bowl. I think with this being the first bowl for the majority of the team, it won't be hard for Bret and Co. to have them ready to play. Texas has more talent, per recruiting services, but Arkansas has better coaches and the intangible factors, like want to and a certain amount of chip on their shoulder. I think that it is either a close (27-21) game or Arkansas pulls away late (45-17). But Texas won't win either way.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

ATLHog

I don't want to play a patsy in a nothing bowl (doubt the Hogs do either). I want a big time opponent on a prime time national stage. We got that. This is our "National Championship Game" in an NFL stadium. Perfect setup. That's what WINNING FANBASES want.
Grow some and get on board-

pigture perfect

We will win if we use the model of offense that we used at TT.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ben

This game could be similar to ole miss. Good D, bad offense. Hogs have a shot, but texas is in a turn around
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

ronmahony

Sure I trust them. I just hope we work on our pass defense, Texas coaches aren't stupid. Missouri beat us by continued passes. They knew if they kept on they would catch us down and they did. I hope they try to run on us. Also hope if we drive down the field and score the first series, we don't come out passing every down the second series. I don't know anything about Texas this year, but I know they aren't better than anybody we played in conference this year.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Cresthog

I think in reality the real question and title of this thread is do you trust Brandon Allen vs Texas.

We win and lose based on how he plays. Not worried at all about the rest of the team.

*Not intended as shot at Brandon, but its true and mostly depends on his health.

micali

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on December 07, 2014, 08:59:45 pm
I'm kind of hoping that we will come out and really let Allen loose.  Maybe that will save some of our running game for the second half.  In saying this, I recognize that it's a big risk letting Allen loose.  I question our ability to put Texas away if we keep doing the same thing we've done all year. They have 3 weeks to train 4* & 5* players to be Razorback killers. We don't have as much talent as they do. We have to do something different.  I'd give us a 40% chance to win.
They've done less with more. Don't worry, we got this.

elksnort

Quote from: Cresthog on December 08, 2014, 01:12:14 pm
I think in reality the real question and title of this thread is do you trust Brandon Allen vs Texas.

We win and lose based on how he plays. Not worried at all about the rest of the team.

*Not intended as shot at Brandon, but its true and mostly depends on his health.

Hog-Corleone

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

OLDHOG

micali

Quote from: Ben on December 08, 2014, 01:00:20 pm
This game could be similar to ole miss. Good D, bad offense. Hogs have a shot, but texas is in a turn around
So are we.  With a healthy Allen we Will handle Texass just fine.

Piggfoot

Quote from: fullfan on December 07, 2014, 08:50:59 pm
I see many folks posting on here about how happy they are we are playing Texas in the bowl game.  First let me say it is great to be in a bowl game and I was hoping for a rather easy draw, put on the obligatory butt whooping and take major mojo into recruiting.

I see playing Texas as high risk/reward.   A win will have a positive effect on recruiting in Texas.   However a loss has the reverse effect and could hamper some future Texas recruiting.   By all accounts C Strong will get the shorthorns turned around in the future and needs a win over an SEC team to stop the bleeding.  You may not hear it from fans on a message board but the coaches and team will put every effort into making sure they knock off the SEC foe.

So to the title...Do you trust this Hog team to go into the Texas Bowl and beat Texas?   Its time for this team to step up and win a big game and gain some momentum for the offseason.   Someone has all offseason to deal with the season ending bowl loss...here's hoping its Texas.

If you're scared get under the porch. A faint heart never ****** a wild cat.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pork Twain

With a month to get healthy and prepare, I think we take it to Texass.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lumphog

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

GolfnHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 08, 2014, 02:31:23 pm
Yes Vegas got us +6

based on what you're saying the Hogs are 6 point dogs. I think we are 4.5 to 6 pt. favorites.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Vantage 8 dude

I see many folks posting on here about how happy they are we are playing Texas in the bowl game.  First let me say it is great to be in a bowl game and I was hoping for a rather easy draw, put on the obligatory butt whooping and take major mojo into recruiting.

I see playing Texas as high risk/reward.   A win will have a positive effect on recruiting in Texas.   However a loss has the reverse effect and could hamper some future Texas recruiting.   By all accounts C Strong will get the shorthorns turned around in the future and needs a win over an SEC team to stop the bleeding.  You may not hear it from fans on a message board but the coaches and team will put every effort into making sure they knock off the SEC foe.

So to the title...Do you trust this Hog team to go into the Texas Bowl and beat Texas?   Its time for this team to step up and win a big game and gain some momentum for the offseason.   Someone has all offseason to deal with the season ending bowl loss...here's hoping its Texas.
Well golly, gee....I've had to "trust" the Hogs all year long to beat the competition and 1/2 the time it worked. In any event whether we "trust" them or not they will play and play hard. Other than that we'll just have to see.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: PolishPigPower on December 08, 2014, 01:23:13 am
Honestly, I care more about the extra practice time than I do the result of this game.  I wanna destroy the Longhorns and hope Bevo has a sideline aneurysm, but growth for the upcoming years is more important to me.
[/quote
Why? To hell with an extra month of practice if we can't beat the shorthorns. Too many Hog fans living for 2015-2018. I want to win the next game we play and after that the next then the next. That is what builds momentum. I am tired of the second half meltdowns as we had against Mizzou. Maybe it's my age but the fans of today need more to cheer about now.

GB-Razorback

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on December 08, 2014, 11:55:51 am
This isn't accurate. It was against Missouri in the Cotton Bowl when we didn't have a coach. Our coach was very busy texting before the Capital 1 Bowl against Wisconsin. Bielema's played very well against a good Arkansas team.

I think the point is that we were "with a coach" meaning ... well you know ...
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

Murr

We'll win if BA can play 4 quarters.  If not,  :-\

Hoggish1

You make a great point and saying Texas is high risk and high reward is exactly right.

There is no question Strong's Texass will come into this game looking to launch their 2015 season against an SEC team. 

We need to come out with more fire and want it more than they will. 

Hogdomer

Quote from: ronmahony on December 08, 2014, 01:07:37 pm
Sure I trust them. I just hope we work on our pass defense, Texas coaches aren't stupid. Missouri beat us by continued passes. They knew if they kept on they would catch us down and they did. I hope they try to run on us. Also hope if we drive down the field and score the first series, we don't come out passing every down the second series. I don't know anything about Texas this year, but I know they aren't better than anybody we played in conference this year.

Missouri's touchdown drive to take the lead was 85 yards, all running plays.  The defense was great again against Missouri, just got worn down being on the field too long. 

Fayettechill14

For those wondering, Texas' defense has similar depth issues to ours. Here is their opponents' scoring by quarter:

1     2     3    4    -    Total
55   55   55   114 -    279 (23.3 per game)

That's 10 points per game in the 4th and 41 percent of all points scored against them coming in the 4th quarter.

HF#1

A few things about Texas that makes me confident that we can beat the brakes off them. 

1. They turn the ball over, at an alarming rate really.

2.  Their offensive line is pieced together with 4th string defensive lineman.  They lost their center to injury and lost the two tackles to suspension. 

3. Not sure their run defense is that great.  They have a respectable pass defense but we've already beat one Big12 team without having to throw it.

Obviously parts of both teams should improve over the 15 practices but I think our 6-6 is much more respectable than theirs is.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

TexHog188

Strong will know about how Ark gets up for Texas. 
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Westcoasthog

If Brandon Allen is not working out Bielema should also use Austin Allen in the Arkansas  - Texas game.

DeltaBoy

We ran over Tech and We will Run over TX!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Westcoasthog on December 10, 2014, 12:56:27 am
    If Brandon Allen is not working out Bielema should also use Austin Allen in the Arkansas  - Texas game.

Brandon was back practicing in full on Monday. He's 100%.