Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bowl practice

Started by Lake City Hog, December 07, 2014, 08:20:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

"(It's) a common misconception that's been around for years," NCAA spokesman Christopher Radford said. "There is no specific limit on the number of practices a team may hold while preparing for a bowl game, but standard NCAA rules apply for participation in practice or other athletically related activities. Same as the regular season, these rules limit practice and other athletic activities to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week."

The myth is likely tied to the rules for spring practice, as teams are limited to 15 practice sessions in the spring. With no limit on the amount of practices, there's added benefit to playing in a bowl later in the calendar.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/12/debunking_the_15-bowl_practice_myth.html

Will we take advantage of this? I don't want the starters burned out, but I would like to see the young guys get PLENTY of extra work. This is a great time to find 14 replacements or at least get a jump on looking for them.

I expect our consultant to really earn his pay over the next few days. We need to have a great offensive game plan, have any favorable match-ups identified and KNOW what we want to do.

Defensively we need 11 guys with the film readiness of Spaight! We need to recognize each set and every play out of each set. We need to be hungry, Flowers, Spaight, Turner and Mitchel need to view this game as an interview for the NFL.

jfred59

I forgot who our consultant is

ChicoHog

Steve Loney is his name I believe. 

Lake City Hog

BB says he is expecting up to 5 early guys to make it to at least 5 practices before Arkansas heads off to Houston.

Mike Irwin

They've already practiced four times so they're off to an early start.

Lake City Hog

Mike, have you guys been able to attend? Any reports?

Pigsknuckles

Aside for a couple of memorable games, this has been a disastrous 2 seasons. If I am a player, I am demanding that the rest of this December be dedicated to fine tuning both sides of the ball, so to handily dispatch Texas. For many of our players, this would be the ultimate quid pro quo for all their invested loyalty in troubled times. For some, it could mean a pro career not envisioned prior to this point. A lot at stake here for anyone claiming to be a Razorback. Could not envision a more important game, as our program teeters on such a precipice. Sorry to be over dramatic, but it is what it effin is.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 10, 2014, 09:22:56 pm
The only time the media or fans can attend practices are in the spring and fall camp.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

younghog

Had 4 already and coach B said he expects 15 more.. Go Hogs
GO HOGS

jrhardy88

"Teeters on such a precipice"..........bwahahaha! Oh my God...that is priceless.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Lake City Hog

Looks like the number of guys that will actually practice is dwindling down. Looks like Storey and Gragg and in, Froholdt is going home for Christmas, Dean just had shoulder surgery and Rogers is still not ready with his ankle.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 10, 2014, 09:49:23 pm
Aside for a couple of memorable games, this has been a disastrous 2 seasons. If I am a player, I am demanding that the rest of this December be dedicated to fine tuning both sides of the ball, so to handily dispatch Texas. For many of our players, this would be the ultimate quid pro quo for all their invested loyalty in troubled times. For some, it could mean a pro career not envisioned prior to this point. A lot at stake here for anyone claiming to be a Razorback. Could not envision a more important game, as our program teeters on such a precipice. Sorry to be over dramatic, but it is what it effin is.

Wow as a player you would demand how to run practice? That would be followed by a visit to the coaches office. You know the one that actually SHOULD be making decisions on how practice is run.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 10, 2014, 09:22:56 pm
We've put in a request to watch Saturday's practice. So far there's been no word on that.

Mike Irwin

That reads like a made for TV movie plot.

PorkRinds

I lol'ed. 

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 11, 2014, 06:59:17 pm
That reads like a made for TV movie plot.

ATTACK OF THE CHEETOS MONSTER!
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

redeye

Will the players demand December be a month of fine tuning?

Could Arkansas survive a possible loss to Texas?

Tune in next week -- Same pig-time, same pig-channel.

Lake City Hog

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/arkansas-players-coaches-talk-texas-bowl-preparati/36542/wrKbIVVyDUuGLIrX-PZhMA

Chaney mentions some of the younger guys getting reps and how important it is. Smith also touched on this. They have had 4 practices and looking at maybe 15 more, what is that worth to some of the guys that redshirted? This gives us a HUGE jump on spring ball. Storey and Gragg just being on the sidelines gives them a real feel for the speed of college ball, a jump on learning how things are done and certainly puts them ahead of the kids that don't come in until summer!