Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My take on Ryan Mallett future

Started by seasonhog, December 20, 2014, 04:01:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

seasonhog

For you fans of Ryan Mallett..........

Ryan Mallett is back with the team this week........arm in a sling from surgery.....telling the media that he want to be back with the Texans as their QB next season.

In the last few days it was reported that the Texans wanted Mallett back next season.....then there was a rumor that Mallett had re-signed with the Texans.

With most of the fans, his team-mates and the Texans wanting Ryan back.......I think Mallett and the Texans may have already reach a agreement or have signed a contract.....

Mallett present contract expired March....2015.

hope this is the case......that is how it appear to me.

Buff

acepoker

Hope this is true. I think he'll do well in Houston

Lake City Hog

I think Houston is a great place for Mallett. I really believe that they should consider trading Clowney for a top flight O'Lineman and a pick or 2. The "old ball coach" pegged Clowney pretty well during his senior year.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

redeye

Glad to hear that for Ryan.

Sucks what happened to him, but glad to see he's still competing.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2014, 04:05:53 pm
I think Houston is a great place for Mallett. I really believe that they should consider trading Clowney for a top flight O'Lineman and a pick or 2. The "old ball coach" pegged Clowney pretty well during his senior year.

With this type surgery, not sure anyone would trade for Clowney.  Greg Odom never really recovered from it.

http://thetandd.com/sports/094a1550-865d-11e4-b446-53bd82f715d4.html

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 20, 2014, 04:53:10 pm
With this type surgery, not sure anyone would trade for Clowney.  Greg Odom never really recovered from it.

that's the truth . . . microfracture issues are a pretty big risk. his upside his huge, too, so who will roll the dice?
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

Hogarusa

Would be an odd move by Mallett and his agent to at least not test the free agency.  There are many teams, Houston included, who will be needing to get in a bidding war for a QB.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

seasonhog

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 20, 2014, 05:38:47 pm
Would be an odd move by Mallett and his agent to at least not test the free agency.  There are many teams, Houston included, who will be needing to get in a bidding war for a QB.

That true!  Buffalo Bills is one of those team....

Maybe why they have already jumped on Ryan. I believe Houston is the team that Mallett want to play for. They are a team on the rise.

If Ryan has or will, sign a contract with Houston...will be interesting to see how long & the amount.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Add Masburn, Tmac, and Webber to that list. Amare is the only guy I know to comeback and still have some explosiveness.

Pigsknuckles

Seems Ryan is now in a position to control his own NFL destiny. Hope he makes the best of it.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Pulled(PP)pork

Me love you long time....you #1 G.I.!

PP

Rison Razor Hog

And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

greasy_corner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 20, 2014, 08:37:34 pm
Me love you long time....you #1 G.I.!

PP

broken English and what not

Edited to say: Thanks for the update and Go Mallett!

urkillnmesmalls

Marcus Monk had that surgery too, and unfortunately he was never the same either.  There's actually a pretty big list of elite athletes that have had to have that surgery, and I don't think many have ever come back to the same level.  In fact...I can't think of one.  Maybe someone knows a player or two??? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

lightsout

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 21, 2014, 09:26:55 am
Marcus Monk had that surgery too, and unfortunately he was never the same either.  There's actually a pretty big list of elite athletes that have had to have that surgery, and I don't think many have ever come back to the same level.  In fact...I can't think of one.  Maybe someone knows a player or two??? 

Jason Kidd and John Stockton did okay.

longpig

I honestly don't think Mallet can stay healthy long enough to accomplish anything in the NFL.  Hope I'm wrong.
Don't be scared, be smart.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: lightsout on December 21, 2014, 09:40:44 am
Jason Kidd and John Stockton did okay.
lighter bodies and less impact than football contact...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DLUXHOG

I live in DFW, and every Houston fan I have talked to, wants Ryan back in a big way....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pork Twain

Based on the OP, I have no idea what RM's status is.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

latrops

Bidding war, on Mallett?  He was traded for a conditional 6th or 7th rd pick prior to this season.  He was mediocre in a couple of games before getting hurt.  His value just isn't very high right now.  It is a shame that he got hurt when he did.  Finally had an opportunity and wasn't able to take advantage.  Some really bad luck. 

Hogarusa

Quote from: latrops on December 22, 2014, 09:22:58 am
Bidding war, on Mallett?  He was traded for a conditional 6th or 7th rd pick prior to this season.  He was mediocre in a couple of games before getting hurt.  His value just isn't very high right now.  It is a shame that he got hurt when he did.  Finally had an opportunity and wasn't able to take advantage.  Some really bad luck. 

You don't think there will be 1 other team interested in getting Mallett involved in their QB spot?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

seasonhog

From what i have read....5 to 7 million......one or two years.......will be the starting qb.

Ryan can run Houston up-tempo offence.... better then any qb they have.

Professor Pig

As a Houston fan, the sampling on RM is obviously very small. But the one healthy game he played, he looked a lot better than most of the second tier QBs in this league. A lot better. And, as the OP mentioned, his teammates are on board with his return.

JayBell

Mallett and his agent may want to "test the market," but they better be careful how they do it.  Mallett can stay close to home and be with a team that is reluctant to give up on a starting quarterback.  If he can test the market and squeeze out another million or two each year, then good for him.  But they could screw themselves over by waiting too long, forcing Houston to go in another direction and ending up as someone else's backup for the next three years.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 22, 2014, 06:32:43 am

Also, not guys that relied on elite athleticism. 

latrops

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 22, 2014, 09:31:14 am
You don't think there will be 1 other team interested in getting Mallett involved in their QB spot?

I don't think there is one team that will commit to starting Mallett or paying him as such.  I think there are probably several that would like to have him in the mix, but would only do so at a low cost given the factors already stated.  Point is, I don't think there will be any kind of bidding war.  He will be offered what he is offered and he can take it or leave it.  He isn't a hot commodity.  He is a value add with upside.  Given Houston's qb situation, I can't imagine a better place if they want him.  That starting job is there for the taking if he can get it done.

HOGINTENNESSEE

hogfan870

Quote from: longpig on December 21, 2014, 11:43:21 pm
I honestly don't think Mallet can stay healthy long enough to accomplish anything in the NFL.  Hope I'm wrong.

This is the first injury I recall him having in the pros.  Have I missed something?

HogsonHicks

After watching some of the Bills yesterday, and Sunday night football last night, Buffalo and Arizona ought to be selling their souls for Mallett. They both have good skill players, and hot garbage at QB. Yes, Palmer and Manuel may be out, but they're either old or terrible, even when healthy.   

longpig

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 22, 2014, 11:11:31 am
This is the first injury I recall him having in the pros.  Have I missed something?

He didn't take contact well playing at Arkansas, injured his knee a little on a slide in a preseason game this year.  Left the game with a head injury in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd preseason game of 2013.

Lips

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 22, 2014, 06:32:43 am

Actually, basketball is much harder on the joints than football.  That's why the majority of basketball players don't recover from the surgery

Lips

Quote from: longpig on December 22, 2014, 11:59:16 am
He didn't take contact well playing at Arkansas, injured his knee a little on a slide in a preseason game this year.  Left the game with a head injury in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd preseason game of 2013.
. He started 2 games and got put out for the season

longpig

Quote from: Lips on December 22, 2014, 01:45:21 pm
. He started 2 games and got put out for the season
Got the season ending injury in the first start.

OldCoot

Quote from: latrops on December 22, 2014, 09:22:58 am
j

For some reason QBs in the NFL right now are not very good.  The amount of elites are dismal at the moment.  Ryan could very well be the best QB entering free agency and will be a hot commodity. IMHO.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 22, 2014, 11:11:31 am

hadn't had much opportunity to get hurt.

LJHOG

Accuracy is still an issue with Mallett.  I see him having a long career as a back up.

seasonhog

Quote from: LJHOG on December 24, 2014, 11:07:35 am
Accuracy is still an issue with Mallett.  I see him having a long career as a back up.

In Ryan one real game without injury start to finish against Cleveland he was 20 of 30, 2 TD, 95.3 qb rating.

Just how much accuracy does Mallett need to be a starting qb in the NFL...?

hoglady

My understanding is the Mallett injury most likely happened lifting weights and had nothing to do with football contact. It was aggravated and the tear happened during play and practice.

For those saying his first outing was mediocre.
It was in the Top 10 showings in NFL history for a QB making their first start.

It's like some fans expect him to come out and look like a veteran Peyton Manning or something.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

seasonhog

Quote from: hoglady on December 24, 2014, 02:17:39 pm
My understanding is the Mallett injury most likely happened lifting weights and had nothing to do with football contact. It was aggravated and the tear happened during play and practice.

For those saying his first outing was mediocre.
It was in the Top 10 showings in NFL history for a QB making their first start.

It's like some fans expect him to come out and look like a veteran Peyton Manning or something.

The Peyton Manning who had 4 pick  his last game....

hoglady

Quote from: seasonhog on December 24, 2014, 02:44:12 pm
The Peyton Manning who had 4 pick  his last game....

So - does that change the fact that Manning has been a great QB over the course of his career?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

seasonhog

December 24, 2014, 06:23:21 pm #43 Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:54:26 pm by seasonhog
Quote from: hoglady on December 24, 2014, 05:12:39 pm
So - does that change the fact that Manning has been a great QB over the course of his career?

No!

Every qb has bad games.........just showing poster that said Mallett has a problem with his accuracy

Mallett did not have a problem with the short game against Cleveland.....

He was lucky to even throw the ball against Cin. with the pectoral tear...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LJHOG on December 24, 2014, 11:07:35 am

Still an issue? Are you saying he had a n accuracy issue while a Hog?

G   Cmp   Att   Pct   Yds         TD       Int   Rate

11   243   380   63.9   3287        20       12           147.7
12   287   477   60.2   3819        36            11   147.7

RYAN MALLETT
13   225   403   55.8   3624        30            7          152.5
13   266   411.  64.7   3869        32            12         163.6

Care to guess whose numbers those above Ryan's are? One clue - never was this QB accused of being inaccurate.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pig In The City

Mallett will have a long career in the NFL if he can stay healthy.  Durability may be an issue. 

hawgmasta

It's looking like he will most likely have another shot in Houston. I'm sure their doctors are monitoring him and checking on their investment.

hog.goblin

Ryan's first start proved he is a potential star in the NFL.

His second start proved he still doesn't always make good decisions (something all NFL QBs struggle with).  He was also inaccurate in his 2nd game, but NFL execs know he was injured.

I think he'll be back in Houston next year.  Having both Ryans in place gives Houston a good starter with the potential to be a star and a good backup in Fitz.