Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen year by year improvement

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 20, 2014, 07:24:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: dagnamit on December 20, 2014, 03:26:07 pm
I can appreciate the athletic ability that comes with a precise hand off.

Well, 30 years as a WM fan will do that to you......

dagnamit

Yep, QB play is no more important than any other position on the field. Heck the center touches the ball just as much as the QB does.   ;)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pigstie on December 20, 2014, 03:06:28 pm
Mike I totally agree with your post. But how many professionals are on this site?  I have no idea. What % do you think come from a legit coaching background or have played beyond HS? You post an opinion and get accused of thinking you know more than the staff..... then those same accusers post opinions but theirs are supposed to be legit?? I see this forum as pure entertainment and nothing more.  You're post are some of the exception because you bring real behind the scenes insight from current and past teams and staffs.
Nobody is trying to curtail opinions. But to repeat myself the issue is the same arguments being made over and over again in these type threads. Beyond a certain point we all get it that some here think 9-15 over the past two seasons is Brandon Allen's fault.

Here is an example from the Ty Story thread (which was quickly hijacked into a Brandon Allen thread).

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 20, 2014, 06:40:12 am
We may not have the best receiving group in all of college football, but a more accurate QB could solve a LOT of our offensive woes.
It's nothing personal against Brandon Allen, but I honestly feel that had Rafe, or even Austin been given the # of snaps that Brandon received that they could have done at the very least as well as our current starter has done over the past two seasons.
Do you know how many times somebody has voiced this opinion?

The real Hogules

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2014, 03:39:08 pm
Nobody is trying to curtail opinions. But to repeat myself the issue is the same arguments being made over and over again in these type threads. Beyond a certain point we all get it that some here think 9-15 over the past two seasons is Brandon Allen's fault.

Here is an example from the Ty Story thread (which was quickly hijacked into a Brandon Allen thread).

As for me personally I'm not laying all of the blame at the feet of our QB, but when someone points at our WR's, or our OC I think it's only fair to point out that AA types would have had a difficult time making plays on many of the throws that Brandon made and his poorest throws came at the most crucial time in games(such as the under thrown fade at the end of the MSU game) when the outcome was still in doubt.
There's plenty of blame to go around though, such as the fumble out of the back of the end zone by Walker, against Bama that  proved to have been the difference in a win or a loss.
As the focal point of the offense I think it's fair to question his ability to make the big plays when the game is on the line.
If the mods will just come out and say that critizing BA and questioning some of his in game decisions is off limits I'll gladly comply with the boards rules.
Otherwise I think as long as your not just saying a player sucks and instead give examples of why you're  questioning said player should be perfectly alright.
Once again, I think that Brandon has conducted himself with nothing but class off the field, but has struggled at times to complete the big plays to open receivers, during crunch time.
I've also seen our WR's and OC thrown under the bus on several occasions, but you don't seem to feel the same need to defend them as you do for BA, so should we take that to mean that you agree that those are the problem areas?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Kevin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 01:30:23 pm
Lots of folks seem to have a problem with these threads if they actually support BA and his improvement, as opposed to being negative about him and calling for another QB.

I am wore out about both sides. I don't think he is very good, but there just comes a time to give it a rest on both sides.

It is just the same people saying the same thing over and over again.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 20, 2014, 03:58:18 pm
As for me personally I'm not laying all of the blame at the feet of our QB, but when someone points at our WR's, or our OC I think it's only fair to point out that AA types would have had a difficult time making plays on many of the throws that Brandon made and his poorest throws came at the most crucial time in games(such as the under thrown fade at the end of the MSU game) when the outcome was still in doubt.
There's plenty of blame to go around though, such as the fumble out of the back of the end zone by Walker, against Bama that  proved to have been the difference in a win or a loss.
As the focal point of the offense I think it's fair to question his ability to make the big plays when the game is on the line.
If the mods will just come out and say that critizing BA and questioning some of his in game decisions is off limits I'll gladly comply with the boards rules.
Otherwise I think as long as your not just saying a player sucks and instead give examples of why you're  questioning said player should be perfectly alright.
Once again, I think that Brandon has conducted himself with nothing but class off the field, but has struggled at times to complete the big plays to open receivers, during crunch time.
I've also seen our WR's and OC thrown under the bus on several occasions, but you don't seem to feel the same need to defend them as you do for BA, so should we take that to mean that you agree that those are the problem areas?
Last year in this discussion I pointed out what the offensive coaches had said and what I could see with my own eyes. There was a big problem at receiver. It's better this season but people are still complaining that Brandon can't hit the deep ball. He doesn't get many opportunities because they don't seem to have anybody that can stretch the field.

But I've discussed this enough times that I'm tired of making that point too.

Brandon is not going anywhere. There will be plenty of opportunities for all of us to see if he can get the job done between now and the last game of the 2015 season starting with the Texas Bowl.

Lake City Hog

Mike,
Have you been able to attend any of the bowl practices?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2014, 05:51:07 pm
Last year in this discussion I pointed out what the offensive coaches had said and what I could see with my own eyes. There was a big problem at receiver. It's better this season but people are still complaining that Brandon can't hit the deep ball. He doesn't get many opportunities because they don't seem to have anybody that can stretch the field.

But I've discussed this enough times that I'm tired of making that point too.

Brandon is not going anywhere. There will be plenty of opportunities for all of us to see if he can get the job done between now and the last game of the 2015 season starting with the Texas Bowl.

If Brandon's stats improve next year over this year as much as this year over last year, without sacrificing the running game, it will be a special year.  3000 yds, 23 td's, 3 int, 60+ comp %
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HogFanatic

It's funny, actually.
In real life, I am a huge Brandon Allen supporter. My father is a BA hater type. Firmly believes that as long as he is the QB, Arkansas just isn't going to win very many games. I respect dad's football knowledge and opinion. However, I find myself defending BA to my father all the time.

Brandon Allen has done a very good job this year. His stats are hard to ignore.

He is a very good quarterback, but he doesn't have that "it" factor. (He doesn't have the killer instinct that really special quarterbacks have..like Jay Cutler. You guys remember when he pretty much single handedly beat Arkansas in Fayetteville?)

But guess what, guys? You dance with the girl that brought ya.
There is no way on God's Green Earth I would want to replace a guy with BA's production with someone unproven on the HOPE that they DO have that "it" factor.

Face it, Arkansas is simply in a position right now where they are forced to build their offense around BA's abilities.

Which means Jim Chaney needs to become a much better play caller like PRONTO.
We can't throw the ball THIRTEEN times in a ROW because Missouri stuffs our run game for one series.

Dude is bi-polar with his play calling...which tells me that he has some sort of philosophical issue with Bielema.

I'm firm on the need for a new OC

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2014, 06:01:53 pm
Mike,
Have you been able to attend any of the bowl practices?
Just one. They weren't doing much.  Individual drills. No scrimmaging  or 7 on 7 stuff. Brandon looked fine. No evidence of a back problem. Peavey was throwing the ball with much better mechanics than the last time I saw him in August.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 20, 2014, 07:35:37 pm
It's funny, actually.
In real life, I am a huge Brandon Allen supporter. My father is a BA hater type. Firmly believes that as long as he is the QB, Arkansas just isn't going to win very many games. I respect dad's football knowledge and opinion. However, I find myself defending BA to my father all the time.

Brandon Allen has done a very good job this year. His stats are hard to ignore.

He is a very good quarterback, but he doesn't have that "it" factor. (He doesn't have the killer instinct that really special quarterbacks have..like Jay Cutler. You guys remember when he pretty much single handedly beat Arkansas in Fayetteville?)

But guess what, guys? You dance with the girl that brought ya.
There is no way on God's Green Earth I would want to replace a guy with BA's production with someone unproven on the HOPE that they DO have that "it" factor.

Face it, Arkansas is simply in a position right now where they are forced to build their offense around BA's abilities.

Which means Jim Chaney needs to become a much better play caller like PRONTO.
We can't throw the ball THIRTEEN times in a ROW because Missouri stuffs our run game for one series.

Dude is bi-polar with his play calling...which tells me that he has some sort of philosophical issue with Bielema.

I'm firm on the need for a new OC

Ding-ding.

We have the companion post for the BA problems.  Here, we get the 213,000th post about Chaney. Doesn't say a thing that hasn't been dissected over and over.

Of the 213,000 I bet all about a dozen, or so, are based on observations gleaned from playing XBox.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogFanatic

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 20, 2014, 08:43:48 pm
Ding-ding.

We have the companion post for the BA problems.  Here, we get the 213,000th post about Chaney. Doesn't say a thing that hasn't been dissected over and over.

Of the 213,000 I bet all about a dozen, or so, are based on observations gleaned from playing XBox.

The moderation on this website is absolutely pathetic.
Does anyone actually have an answer for why the Razorbacks threw the ball 13 times in a row against Missouri with an obviously injured QB?

Or is the "official line" meant to be "just shut up and deal with the fact that we are woefully inept in the 4th quarter in nearly EVERY game we play?"

I don't play XBox, btw, guy (??) ((nice profile, sorta hard to tell.))

swinemaster

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2014, 03:39:08 pm

You and a few other posters hijacked the Ty Storey thread.

Some of us were talking about his tremendous upside and potential.  Some of us were hoping that he will be so good that he can make a difference next year.

Then you, and a few other posters who constantly condescend to people who don't agree with you, told us all to stop dreaming because it is ridiculous to think a freshman is going to come in and replace BA. 

Calling BA irreplaceable is quite a stretch for some of us.  Me included.

HogFanatic

Quote from: swinemaster on December 20, 2014, 09:01:39 pm

Some of us were talking about his tremendous upside and potential.  Some of us were hoping that he will be so good that he can make a difference next year.

Then you, and a few other posters who constantly condescend to people who don't agree with you, told us all to stop dreaming because it is ridiculous to think a freshman is going to come in and replace BA. 

Watch yourself, citizen. You are not toeing the party line. Please conform for your own safety.

I swear this place is getting to the point where it is just unappealing to read.

And to the oklahog gal,

I must have missed the 212,999 other times people tried to explain why they thought the perceptions of BA's "problems" could have been Jim Chaney's fault.

1) I come here to voice my opinions of the state of the program (as a life long fan)
2) What the eff does it matter anyways? That's what these types of websites are for...Maybe you need to get the media out of the equation and let this be a truly fan-driven experience... just a thought (Mike Erwing)

grayhawg

If we were running a spread offence you might be right, these kids we are getting in here from high school today, ran the majority of their plays from a spread formation and lined up in the shotgun. Talking about Ty Storey when he can learn our offence IMO will be our #1 QB but that could take a couple of years. If you remember when Tyler Wilson left here still had problems lining up directly behind center.

HogFanatic

Hell, that guy grew up in Texass.

Why the hell do we care what he thinks?

Lando Calrissian

Mike Nail is my favorite KNWA contributor.

This thread needs to go into the Trash Can.

Did you know that Brandon Allen graduated today? (still has a year of eligibility).  What a bum!
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

swinemaster

Quote from: grayhawg on December 20, 2014, 09:11:03 pm
If we were running a spread offence you might be right, these kids we are getting in here from high school today, ran the majority of their plays from a spread formation and lined up in the shotgun. Talking about Ty Storey when he can learn our offence IMO will be our #1 QB but that could take a couple of years. If you remember when Tyler Wilson left here still had problems lining up directly behind center.

You might be right and then again you might not.  We'll all know more next August. 

Let me ask you something.  How many times have you watched Ty take a 5 step drop?  How many times have you watched him take a snap?  When he did those things at combines and camps, he was good enough to get offered by Alabama. 

Look, I know it's a tall order for a freshman to come in and play right away.  But the fact is, we are below average at his position.  And I don't care what anyone says about it.  If you compare BA to someone like Cody Kessler at USC, you will see the difference between BA and someone who thrives in a pro-style offense.  If you don't believe me, look up his stats.

arlhog

He has improved a lot, but the team around him has improved a lot too, especially his running game and O line. This year he's made a few mistakes at bad times and it has cost him a lot of grief.  He won't ever be great but he is a serviceable qb.  Don't think he will get drafted, he just doesn't have "IT".  But the qb gets too much blame when things go bad and too much glory when things go good, it's a known fact. 

grayhawg

Quote from: swinemaster on December 20, 2014, 09:21:16 pm
You might be right and then again you might not.  We'll all know more next August. 

Let me ask you something.  How many times have you watched Ty take a 5 step drop?  How many times have you watched him take a snap?  When he did those things at combines and camps, he was good enough to get offered by Alabama. 

Look, I know it's a tall order for a freshman to come in and play right away.  But the fact is, we are below average at his position.  And I don't care what anyone says about it.  If you compare BA to someone like Cody Kessler at USC, you will see the difference between BA and someone who thrives in a pro-style offense.  If you don't believe me, look up his stats.
Ty played less than 20 miles from my home, saw him play a lot of downs and have posted on here I think he has more skills than any QB we have on campus. I seen Brandon and Austin both in high school and he is way ahead of what they were as high school seniors. On SEC defences every player is faster than 99.9% of the kids they played against in high school.

HogFanatic

Quote from: grayhawg on December 20, 2014, 09:30:45 pm
Ty played less than 20 miles from my home, saw him play a lot of downs and have posted on here I think he has more skills than any QB we have on campus. I seen Brandon and Austin both in high school and he is way ahead of what they were as high school seniors. On SEC defences every player is faster than 99.9% of the kids they played against in high school.

I hope you're right, but IMO there isn't any way that Storey replaces BA next year.

I had thought he may, but I just don't think this coaching staff will pull the plug on a senior.
They would suffer losses before they benched BA, and I am actually OK with that. They have built this program from the ground up and they are going to stick with someone who has shown loyalty to them and devotion to what they are building rather than just plug in the new hot shot because of his stats in school and ability to do it all on the field.

Storey looks good in Charleston.
Arkansas is a lot tougher.

That being said, Storey is a badass. Simple as that. The future looks bright.

swinemaster

Quote from: grayhawg on December 20, 2014, 09:30:45 pm
On SEC defences every player is faster than 99.9% of the kids they played against in high school.

Really?

grayhawg

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 20, 2014, 09:37:14 pm
I hope you're right, but IMO there isn't any way that Storey replaces BA next year.

I had thought he may, but I just don't think this coaching staff will pull the plug on a senior.
They would suffer losses before they benched BA, and I am actually OK with that. They have built this program from the ground up and they are going to stick with someone who has shown loyalty to them and devotion to what they are building rather than just plug in the new hot shot because of his stats in school and ability to do it all on the field.

Storey looks good in Charleston.
Arkansas is a lot tougher.

That being said, Storey is a badass. Simple as that. The future looks bright.
I'm not saying that at all, didn't mean for it to come across that was. I was responding to the poster asking how many 5 step drops and such I had seen from TY.

Mike Irwin

A complete distortion.

Pigstie injected Brandon Allen into that thread, not me. He complained about a post I had made in another thread where I mentioned that Jim Chaney said he'd prefer a 4th year QB if he could get one. This was not a shocking statement. I don't know many OCs who wouldn't say that.

At that point the thread turned into a debate over how long a QB should wait to start.
You then asked me in that thread if it was okay if you stated that Ty Storey was better than Brandon Allen right now.

I listed reasons why I thought it would be highly unlikely that Storey would come in next year and replace Brandon Allen. You are the one who injected the Brandon Allen vs. Ty Storey angle into that thread not me. All I did was answer your question.

Quote from: swinemaster on December 16, 2014, 10:36:23 am
Mike, is it OK to say that I hope Ty Storey is better than BA?  And I don't find much of a stretch that he already is?

ricepig

I just can't wait until we get a commit for our 2016 QB and he can be the starter.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2014, 10:14:48 pm

I just can't wait until we get a commit for our 2016 QB and he can be the starter.

Lol.   Yep....but the 2017 QB will surely take over as soon as he gets here..... ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Kevin

Round and round it goes, when this thread get locked nobody knows
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 20, 2014, 08:43:48 pm
Ding-ding.

You could say the same about the repetitious number of threads on how BA is great, much improved, not his fault, Chaney's fault, WR's fault, OL's fault... this thread is an example... and some people don't agree and they respond.. don't just see one side.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 21, 2014, 08:28:44 am
You could say the same about the repetitious number of threads on how BA is great, much improved, not his fault, Chaney's fault, WR's fault, OL's fault... this thread is an example... and some people don't agree and they respond.. don't just see one side.

The epitome of perfection we aren't, but I am not sure how anyone, regardless of their point of view can't see the obvious improvement from last year to this year.

2013            2014
Wins                                3                6
Losses                             9                6
Passing Yds Per Game      148.5           190.3
Passing Yds Allowed         235.0           221.4
Net Yds Difference           -86.5           -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game          208.7           220.3
Rush Yds Allowed            178.4           124.0
Net Yds Difference           30.3             96.3
Total Offense                 357.2            410.6
Total Defense                 413.4            345.4
Net Yds Difference           -56.2              65.2
Scoring Offense               20.7               32.0
Scoring Defense               30.8               20.3
Scoring Margin Diff           -10.1              11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      17.3              12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      13.4              17.0
Net Yds Difference             -3.8               4.2
INT's Thrown                     11                  6
INT's Made                         8                  11
Net INT's                          -3                   5
Fumb Lost                         12                  11
Fumb Gain                          6                   11
Net Fumb                          -6                   0
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 21, 2014, 09:47:45 am
The epitome of perfection we aren't, but I am not sure how anyone, regardless of their point of view can't see the obvious improvement from last year to this year.

2013            2014
Wins                                3                6
Losses                             9                6
Passing Yds Per Game      148.5           190.3
Passing Yds Allowed         235.0           221.4
Net Yds Difference           -86.5           -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game          208.7           220.3
Rush Yds Allowed            178.4           124.0
Net Yds Difference           30.3             96.3
Total Offense                 357.2            410.6
Total Defense                 413.4            345.4
Net Yds Difference           -56.2              65.2
Scoring Offense               20.7               32.0
Scoring Defense               30.8               20.3
Scoring Margin Diff           -10.1              11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      17.3              12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      13.4              17.0
Net Yds Difference             -3.8               4.2
INT's Thrown                     11                  6
INT's Made                         8                  11
Net INT's                          -3                   5
Fumb Lost                         12                  11
Fumb Gain                          6                   11
Net Fumb                          -6                   0

not debating the progress, was responding to your post... that it's the same thing over and over and over, it cuts both ways.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 21, 2014, 09:52:05 am
not debating the progress, was responding to your post... that it's the same thing over and over and over, it cuts both ways.

In all fairness, it wasn't my post, it was Oklahawg's. I think my post indicates that it isn't the same thing over and over and there really is, actual progress. I mean, we are either improving (and BA as well) or we aren't. These numbers point to his obvious progress and that of the team as well. Should we make another jump of 50+ yards per game on offense next year bringing us to 460 yds per game with BA at QB, would you consider that improvement on his part, along with other members of the offense?
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 21, 2014, 09:57:44 am
In all fairness, it wasn't my post, it was Oklahawg's. I think my post indicates that it isn't the same thing over and over and there really is, actual progress. I mean, we are either improving (and BA as well) or we aren't. These numbers point to his obvious progress and that of the team as well. Should we make another jump of 50+ yards per game on offense next year bringing us to 460 yds per game with BA at QB, would you consider that improvement on his part, along with other members of the offense?

Yes it would be progress, as I said in the previous post to you.. not sure why your asking me again.  Again, I AM NOT DEBATING HIS PROGRESS.. my response is that we have seen your type response/post over and over and over again, just as we've seen the bashing, critiquing post over and over and over again.. we've seen both sides of the debate about BA it cut's both ways.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 21, 2014, 10:08:58 am
Yes it would be progress, as I said in the previous post to you.. not sure why your asking me again.  Again, I AM NOT DEBATING HIS PROGRESS.. my response is that we have seen your type response/post over and over and over again, just as we've seen the bashing, critiquing post over and over and over again.. we've seen both sides of the debate about BA it cut's both ways.
So, you aren't smart enough to see the difference between threads showing forward motion in the program vs. threads designed to "create honest discussion" about how bad our QB/OC are?

Or you are being intellectually dishonest because you just want to complain?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 21, 2014, 10:35:42 am
So, you aren't smart enough to see the difference between threads showing forward motion in the program vs. threads designed to "create honest discussion" about how bad our QB/OC are?

Or you are being intellectually dishonest because you just want to complain?

whatever dude...

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: arlhog on December 20, 2014, 09:27:54 pm
But the qb gets too much blame when things go bad and too much glory when things go good, it's a known fact.

That's complete crap and you know it. If we lose, it's all on brandon. If we win, we won despite of him.

scruf

I'll trust the guy on the far right of this pic...

...or the guy holding the football in this one...

...over this guy...

...or these guys...

10/10 times. Go HOGS!  :razorback:

scruf

If you look up the definition of the word "pwnage" in the dictionary:

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2014, 10:10:31 pm
A complete distortion.

Pigstie injected Brandon Allen into that thread, not me. He complained about a post I had made in another thread where I mentioned that Jim Chaney said he'd prefer a 4th year QB if he could get one. This was not a shocking statement. I don't know many OCs who wouldn't say that.

At that point the thread turned into a debate over how long a QB should wait to start.
You then asked me in that thread if it was okay if you stated that Ty Storey was better than Brandon Allen right now.

I listed reasons why I thought it would be highly unlikely that Storey would come in next year and replace Brandon Allen. You are the one who injected the Brandon Allen vs. Ty Storey angle into that thread not me. All I did was answer your question.

Prestworthy

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on December 21, 2014, 10:53:21 am
That's complete crap and you know it. If we lose, it's all on brandon. If we win, we won despite of him.
BA has shown some good things in his tenure.  His play vs LSU and Miss were an example of managing a game well and not making mistakes.  But in most cases, exceptional teams have exceptional QBs.  There aren't many BAMAs out there that can win 10+ games a year with game-managers.  Looking at the top-4 teams in the playoffs this year, 3/4 have QBs that can make things happen when their number is called.  BAMAs QB doesn't need to do anything spectacular because he has so many weapons and a great defense.  But he has shown some really good things this year too.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Prestworthy on December 21, 2014, 11:36:57 am
BA has shown some good things in his tenure.  His play vs LSU and Miss were an example of managing a game well and not making mistakes.  But in most cases, exceptional teams have exceptional QBs.  There aren't many BAMAs out there that can win 10+ games a year with game-managers.  Looking at the top-4 teams in the playoffs this year, 3/4 have QBs that can make things happen when their number is called.  BAMAs QB doesn't need to do anything spectacular because he has so many weapons and a great defense.  But he has shown some really good things this year too.
Stanford, Michigan State, and Notre Dame are examples of teams that can compete at a high level without star QB's.

Bielema's system works. If there was a college football playoff in 2010, the Badgers would have been in it. Scott Tolzien was not an exceptional quarterback. That season, he threw for 2500 yards, 16 TD's, 6 INT's. He did, however, have a completion percentage of 73%.

The next year, the Badgers did have an exceptional QB in Russell Wilson and wouldn't have been in the playoff because they lost two games on hail marys.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. In my opinion, defense is what determines whether or not you will play for a championship.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hogblitz

Good thing we do not hold the defense to the same standards as our O!   Last year the offense had all the talent on their side of the ball and for the most part were the stronger side of the ball.    Now, we bring in a few freshman and a new DC and POOF!  They are now a legitimate SEC defense.  Huh, maybe coaching does matter after all?

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on December 21, 2014, 06:41:57 am
Round and round it goes, when this thread get locked nobody knows
It will be......just give it a bit more time. A shame we can't have a discussion about the QB without the thread being locked. I bet if you go back the last 2 weeks or so and find every thread started about the QB position at least 90% have been locked or deleted.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 21, 2014, 12:07:20 pm
Stanford, Michigan State, and Notre Dame are examples of teams that can compete at a high level without star QB's.

Bielema's system works. If there was a college football playoff in 2010, the Badgers would have been in it. Scott Tolzien was not an exceptional quarterback. That season, he threw for 2500 yards, 16 TD's, 6 INT's. He did, however, have a completion percentage of 73%.

The next year, the Badgers did have an exceptional QB in Russell Wilson and wouldn't have been in the playoff because they lost two games on hail marys.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. In my opinion, defense is what determines whether or not you will play for a championship.
But they definitely would have been in the mix.  That Badger team was really good.

lechon

Quote from: scruf on December 21, 2014, 11:29:57 am
I'll trust the guy on the far right of this pic...

...or the guy holding the football in this one...

...over this guy...

...or these guys...

10/10 times. Go HOGS!  :razorback:

[attachment deleted by admin]
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

swinemaster

Quote from: scruf on December 21, 2014, 11:32:43 am
If you look up the definition of the word "pwnage" in the dictionary:

Get off his tip bro!  He doesn't know how good Ty Storey will be at the college level.  Nobody does at this point.  The thread that Mr. Irwin is referring to was a continuation of a thread that was locked due to what some moderators refer to as BA bashing. 

The original thread was purely a hope filled diatribe of how good some of us hope that Ty Storey really is.  Isn't that what it's all about?  He's an extremely highly rated prospect.  (I know, so was BA)  Some live up to it and some don't.

HF#1

Brandon Allen was never this teams problem.  He wasn't even a weakness.  In fact, he is one of the most consistent players on the team imo. 

Bielema has already addressed my concern on Bo's show.  He said that they will fix the problem we have down the field in the pass game.  He stated we will work on getting more vertical with it.  Mentioned JoJo being a part of that.  Also, I think Chaney is on a short leash with Bielema.  I come to this conclusion just by how Bielema talks about Chaney as opposed to when he speaks about the other coaches. 

Bielema knows the offense was behind the defense all year. He sees it.  He also knows the problem isn't the QB. 

There are two factions of people that are way too quick to blame the QB for a team's struggles offensively, one is the fans and the other is the media. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

swinemaster

Quote from: HF#1 on December 21, 2014, 08:01:00 pm
Brandon Allen was never this teams problem.  He wasn't even a weakness.  In fact, he is one of the most consistent players on the team imo. 

Bielema has already addressed my concern on Bo's show.  He said that they will fix the problem we have down the field in the pass game.  He stated we will work on getting more vertical with it.  Mentioned JoJo being a part of that.  Also, I think Chaney is on a short leash with Bielema.  I come to this conclusion just by how Bielema talks about Chaney as opposed to when he speaks about the other coaches. 

Bielema knows the offense was behind the defense all year. He sees it.  He also knows the problem isn't the QB. 

There are two factions of people that are way too quick to blame the QB for a team's struggles offensively, one is the fans and the other is the media. 

BA was the QB of a 6-6 team.  His stats ranked him 80th in Div. 1 football amongst all other QBs.  He was the QB of the 102nd ranked passing offense in college football.  Should we have won more games despite his below average stats?  Yes.  That's how good the rest of the team was.

Was he able to overcome the mistakes that all other teams make and make a play to win a game?  No.  He's had 2.5 seasons to show us otherwise.

This offense was pathetic in the second half of every SEC game we lost.  Why?  Because we couldn't threaten a defense through the air.  People want to blame it on our WR's.  I guess 101 other schools had better receivers than us?

If you don't hope for a better option in the future, then you must be happy with below mediocrity.

BA was our best option this year.  I've never questioned CBB once.  But because he was never replaced even when he was totally ineffective, it makes me wonder if AA or Rafe can play at all.  It makes me hope like HELL that Storey brings something special to the table.  That is all.

Lake City Hog

Swine, he was also the Qb of the #26 rushing offense. If you want to quote stats why not give the whole picture?
#1 rushing team? Navy-------------passing rank? #124
#2 Rushing Team? Georgia Tech-------passing rank? #120
#3 rushing team? Wisconsin--------Passing rank? #116

Kinda see a correlation there? To be really good at something you spend more practice time on it and we, like a lot of running teams probably spend more time with our run game. Just like the passing teams spend more time working on passing. VERY few teams are really good at both.

Pig Worshipper

Overall, Brandon Allen did a good job this season. Yes, he sometimes misses badly on pivotal pass plays but I remember Joe Ferguson (who I think the world of) missing badly on some important passes as a Razorback. Our defense has made great strides since last year but so has Brandon Allen. He should get a nice bit of credit for it. And, if you don't think an injury-free Brandon Allen won't be our number one quarterback next year you're not paying attention. Clearly our coaches strongly feel he gives us the best chance to win.

snoblind

VBMark

So, UAB's QB Cody Clements was the #26 QB in the country?

He's eligible now. You wanna take him?

I didn't think so.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field