Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Passing Off vs Rushing Off-Hogs Headed in the Right Direction

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 20, 2014, 07:18:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: scruf on December 21, 2014, 09:58:59 am
"most times" and "well enough" are a big part of the reason we went 6-6 instead of 9-3. A couple of those deep balls looked bad because they were bad and our WR couldn't save them. Others were in the vicinity and catchable by a more elite WR. Several could have been broken up ny the WR but weren't. A few throws looked bad because the WR stemmed the route the wrong direction at the end, i.e. faded the wrong direction, looked over the wrong shoulder.

I don't have a QB agenda here. If there was a better QB on campus that would have given us a greater chance to win more games then a professional coach whose livelihood is based on winning games would have played that player. Here's the hard truth: BA happens to be Arkansas best QB right now.

That being said, this thread is about overall improvement of the team and if you compare 2013 to 2014, whether at QB or another position, you can see the obvious improvement. This thread isn't about one single player, but the improvement of the entire team.
Go Hogs Go!

wildhogman

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 20, 2014, 12:26:04 pm
there are so many variables to consider . the one big take away is you can win with either way or split the didderence and stay balanced . bad play calling on offense hurt us and cost wins. i like our direction even though i'm not sure what that will be next year? Once we get a qb who can throw the deep balls accuretely then i think the sky is the limit for us
Yeah its a shame our QB couldn't hit Hatcher in stride in that first game. For sure TD and our poor ol QB (over threw, under threw, threw wide right, threw it to Nutts grandmother in the 75th row of a 60 row stadium). 
Think you get the sarcasm here. Its a team effort and mistakes were made in the passing game by everyone, not just ONE.  They live, they play, they learn, they get better.  Fans should take this perspective. Live, Learn, better our knowledge, cheer louder.

scruf

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 21, 2014, 10:08:21 am
That being said, this thread is about overall improvement of the team and if you compare 2013 to 2014, whether at QB or another position, you can see the obvious improvement. This thread isn't about one single player, but the improvement of the entire team.

Totally agree. Wasn't trying to hijack this thread just really tired of the "need a better QB"/"better QB is on the roster" crowd. I think your post illustrates that our QB play improved and is just a part of the overall balance that the coaches are targeting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: scruf on December 21, 2014, 11:10:55 am
Totally agree. Wasn't trying to hijack this thread just really tired of the "need a better QB"/"better QB is on the roster" crowd. I think your post illustrates that our QB play improved and is just a part of the overall balance that the coaches are targeting.

Oh I think you can absolutely see the improvement. Is it what we would prefer at QB or in the passing or running game? Not yet. But you can see that significant strides are being made and the most obvious turn has been on defense. Give Robb Smith a raise and keep the defense headed in the same direction.

If you look above at the numbers that are listed above, it is difficult to deny the improvement overall as a team. There is a tremendous "swing" in terms of significant stats from one year to the next. We aren't that far from 9-10 wins.
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

Totally agree. The tipping point they are always talking about has happened and they know they can play with anybody.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on December 22, 2014, 05:04:07 am
Totally agree. The tipping point they are always talking about has happened and they know they can play with anybody.

I think that is true. Just think what will happen as we continue to develop our passing game to a greater degree? Another 40 yards per game will probably make a huge difference and take more pressure off the running game.

Even at that, we are averaging 1 point for every 12.8 yards of offense and our defense is only giving up 1 point for every 17 yards gained by our opponents. That's a net of 4.2 yards and good enough to be within the top 10-15 in the country in that category and we aren't even where the staff wants us to be, yet. We are just a few mistakes and some quality depth away from having a much better record than we have.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbacker3

Who said this? "Only 3 things can happen when you throw the football and 2 of them are bad."

PonderinHog

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: secfan30 on December 20, 2014, 08:20:08 am
Albeit a small difference, interesting to see that rushing teams score more than passing teams while holding their opponents to a lower score per game.

Biggest problem with a passing offense. If you throw on first down a lot, you face LOTS of "second and ten".

jabohog

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 23, 2014, 07:49:12 amWho said this? "Only 3 things can happen when you throw the football and 2 of them are bad."
::hornsdown::
Darrell K Royal

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 23, 2014, 08:47:55 am
Biggest problem with a passing offense. If you throw on first down a lot, you face LOTS of "second and ten".

Or a lot of 2nd and 3's.
Go Hogs Go!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

trublu4au

Quote from: jabohog on December 20, 2014, 02:30:26 pm
Your stats are interesting, very good job. As you said we are an improved team but we have given some games away in mostly the same way we gave games away last year. The difference being we were closer and didn't get blown out by anyone except Georgia, and we tried to make a game of that one.

Georgia 45 Arkansas 32 MOV for Georgia? 13

Auburn 45 Arkansas 21 MOV for Auburn? 24 The game ended with Auburn electing NOT to punch it again on your 11 yard line to go up by 5 scores instead of four.

Total yards for Georgia against Arkansas? 386
Total yards for Auburn against Arkansas? 595
Total yards allowed by Georgia against Arkansas? 422
Total yards allowed by Auburn against Arkansas? 328

But Georgia blew you guys out and Auburn didn't? OK whatever...

You Hog fans kill me with your selective memory.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: trublu4au on December 26, 2014, 07:19:21 am
Georgia 45 Arkansas 32 MOV for Georgia? 13

Auburn 45 Arkansas 21 MOV for Auburn? 24 The game ended with Auburn electing NOT to punch it again on your 11 yard line to go up by 5 scores instead of four.

Total yards for Georgia against Arkansas? 386
Total yards for Auburn against Arkansas? 595
Total yards allowed by Georgia against Arkansas? 422
Total yards allowed by Auburn against Arkansas? 328

But Georgia blew you guys out and Auburn didn't? OK whatever...

You Hog fans kill me with your selective memory.

There was no need for him to mention Auburn because we all realize that we basically only played like a team for a single half. We are all aware of what the score of the Auburn game ended up being and yes, your team won by a large margin.
Go Hogs Go!

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 21, 2014, 08:36:21 am
And here is the 2014 Hogs compared to 2013. The improvement is obvious. Just look at the yards needed to score 1 point as opposed to yards given up to our opponents per point scored. Big swing in efficiency. The good news? We aren't finished improving.

2013            2014
Wins                                3                6
Losses                             9                6
Passing Yds Per Game      148.5           190.3
Passing Yds Allowed         235.0           221.4
Net Yds Difference           -86.5           -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game          208.7           220.3
Rush Yds Allowed            178.4           124.0
Net Yds Difference           30.3             96.3
Total Offense                 357.2            410.6
Total Defense                 413.4            345.4
Net Yds Difference           -56.2              65.2
Scoring Offense               20.7               32.0
Scoring Defense               30.8               20.3
Scoring Margin Diff           -10.1              11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      17.3              12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      13.4              17.0
Net Yds Difference             -3.8               4.2

This is incredible. Soooo much improvement.  Thanks for doing this, +1.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on December 26, 2014, 10:07:51 am
This is incredible. Soooo much improvement.  Thanks for doing this, +1.

No problem, glad to do it. We "flipped the field" in several categories this year as you can see, and we really are a better team at this point of the season, than our record would indicate.

Need to win this game against Texas in a very big way and it will help build momentum towards increased improvement for next season.
Go Hogs Go!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 26, 2014, 05:07:04 pm
No problem, glad to do it. We "flipped the field" in several categories this year as you can see, and we really are a better team at this point of the season, than our record would indicate.

Need to win this game against Texas in a very big way and it will help build momentum towards increased improvement for next season.

Definitely, this is a must win.

The numbers don't lie.  In fact, I think that steady year-to-year progress is so much better than a 10 win season followed by mediocrity for several years.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07