Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Passing Off vs Rushing Off-Hogs Headed in the Right Direction

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 20, 2014, 07:18:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

December 20, 2014, 07:18:58 am Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:15:15 am by MuskogeeHogFan
I thought it might be interesting to take a look at the per game averages of the Top 26 Power 5 Passing Teams in the nation (and their defensive production) and compare that first to the Top 26 Power 5 Rushing Teams in the nation and then compare both against where the Hogs are at this point.

I think that most on this board would agree that we are a far better team than our record reflects and we have certainly stubbed our toe a few times this year at key times or otherwise our record might also reflect that we are that better team.

But this comparison should give you confidence that this team (especially with the addition of Robb Smith) is ahead of schedule and headed in the right direction.

Feel free to add your opinions and comments, but please, let's keep the discussion civil without inciting arguments or having any name calling. Let's just talk football, ok?

Passing Teams          Rushing Teams        Hogs
Wins                                        8                           9                   6
Losses                                      4                           3                   6
Passing Yds Per Game               298.5                      226.2             190.3
Passing Yds Allowed                 248.7                      226.6              221.4
Net Yds Difference                    49.8                        -.4                -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game                  169.3                       229.7             220.3
Rush Yds Allowed                    157.5                       142.1              124.0
Net Yds Difference                    11.8                        87.6                96.3
Total Offense                         467.8                       455.9              410.6
Total Defense                         406.2                       368.7              345.4
Net Yds Difference                    61.6                       87.2                 65.2
Scoring Offense                        35.1                       35.7                 32.0
Scoring Defense                        27.4                       23.3                 20.3
Scoring Margin Diff                     7.7                        12.4                 11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.              13.3                       12.8                 12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.              14.8                       15.8                 17.0
Net Yds Difference                     1.5                         3.1                   4.2
Go Hogs Go!

secfan30

Albeit a small difference, interesting to see that rushing teams score more than passing teams while holding their opponents to a lower score per game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: secfan30 on December 20, 2014, 08:20:08 am
Albeit a small differnce, interesting to see that rushing teams score more than passing teams while holding their opponents to a lower score per game.

Look at the difference in offensive yards required per point compared to what opponents need (defensive yards allowed per point) per scored point. That's the eye opener.
Go Hogs Go!

secfan30

Yes it is.

We really are close and these stats show it. Especially on D, our defense is legit.

Great work on this

hawg1221

I haven't really kept up with statistics too much, but Bielema's philosophy of running the ball and maintaining possession for long periods of time helps the defense tremendously. Especially if you have little depth. When the passing game gets going, it will be lights out. If you look at all the successful SEC teams that have won conference and national championships...well..., they pretty much had an offense like what Coach Bielema is trying install...dominate the line, run the ball, and play action pass. Arkansas' coming if they get their players.

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's Texas in comparison.

Wins                                6
Losses                             6
Passing Yds Per Game      211.8
Passing Yds Allowed         186.3
Net Yds Difference            25.5
Rush Yds Per Game          148.7
Rush Yds Allowed            162.1
Net Yds Difference          -13.4
Total Offense                 360.5
Total Defense                 348.4
Net Yds Difference            12.1
Scoring Offense               22.6
Scoring Defense               23.3
Scoring Margin Diff            -0.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      16.0
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      15.0
Net Yds Difference             -1.0
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on December 20, 2014, 08:46:57 am
All that improvement, yet with a limited WR corps. 

I think we are 50-75 yards more passing per game, given the same or better stingy defense, away from having a much better record. Of course not having T/O's at key times plays a role as well, but a rising tide will lift all boats.
Go Hogs Go!

Mike_e

I get flamed for this every time I mention it but I really do think that the game of football is closely related to the 'game' of war.  Small unit tactics specifically but with elements of theater tactics as well.

In both the point is to capture and hold ground while marching to the opponent's goal/capitol.  Of course far fewer people get killed in football but to win at either you have to take territory.

In trench warfare it's a slow brutal process just like the offensive and defensive lines pounding away at each other and a full back busting it up the gut.  A halfback in the I formation could be equated to a heavy cavalry charge.  Light cavalry equates to a sweep around the edges.  The dink and dunk passing game is little more than suppressing fire from platoon formations.  The vertical passing game is reminiscent of the Pacific theater where the object was to bypass the defenders and cut them off from their side thus making them irrelevant.

So it would seem that teams that can run the ball better and thus be better able to make third downs should be better in the field position aspect of the game.  This is important of course in that the more plays you have to have to make the goal line the more opportunity  you have to fail at that particular drive.

Even when a drive is stopped chances are that the running team will have gotten further more often than the passing team and so will on average have less ground to take.

Less ground to take means that you have fewer opportunities to mess up which means that your possession efficiency (how many times you score per possession) should be higher than the other team's and so you should outscore them.  It's looks like this bears out as the passing teams average one less win per season than the running teams.

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on December 20, 2014, 09:13:35 am
I get flamed for this every time I mention it but I really do think that the game of football is closely related to the 'game' of war.  Small unit tactics specifically but with elements of theater tactics as well.

In both the point is to capture and hold ground while marching to the opponent's goal/capitol.  Of course far fewer people get killed in football but to win at either you have to take territory.

In trench warfare it's a slow brutal process just like the offensive and defensive lines pounding away at each other and a full back busting it up the gut.  A halfback in the I formation could be equated to a heavy cavalry charge.  Light cavalry equates to a sweep around the edges.  The dink and dunk passing game is little more than suppressing fire from platoon formations.  The vertical passing game is reminiscent of the Pacific theater where the object was to bypass the defenders and cut them off from their side thus making them irrelevant.

So it would seem that teams that can run the ball better and thus be better able to make third downs should be better in the field position aspect of the game.  This is important of course in that the more plays you have to have to make the goal line the more opportunity  you have to fail at that particular drive.

Even when a drive is stopped chances are that the running team will have gotten further more often than the passing team and so will on average have less ground to take.

Less ground to take means that you have fewer opportunities to mess up which means that your possession efficiency (how many times you score per possession) should be higher than the other team's and so you should outscore them.  It's looks like this bears out as the passing teams average one less win per season than the running teams.

Look at the bottom three categories in the OP Mike. I think this bears out your philosophy.
Go Hogs Go!

Lake City Hog

Muskee, great stats! I can take several things from your presentation.
1. We are close, very close.

2. The difference between winning and losing is paper thin.

3. More offense would be nice, but our stats were good enough to have won at least 3 more games. We needed just a couple more breaks/a couple fewer mistakes and we finish 9-3.
Skipper not tripping the guy at ATM and that game turns into a blowout(their spiral begins 1 game earlier), our DB catches that INT in the end zone against Bama and BA doesn't catch a knee in the back from the OM player.

Two of those were mistakes and 1 was just bad luck, but all 3 had a HUGE impact on our season. Think about that for just a few minutes, basically 3 plays away from a 9-3 record and spending New Years in sunny Florida.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2014, 09:34:41 am

3. More offense would be nice, but our stats were good enough to have won at least 3 more games. We needed just a couple more breaks/a couple fewer mistakes and we finish 9-3.
Skipper not tripping the guy at ATM and that game turns into a blowout(their spiral begins 1 game earlier), our DB catches that INT in the end zone against Bama and BA doesn't catch a knee in the back from the OM player.

Two of those were mistakes and 1 was just bad luck, but all 3 had a HUGE impact on our season. Think about that for just a few minutes, basically 3 plays away from a 9-3 record and spending New Years in sunny Florida.

Well yeah, we shouldn't have lost to A&M, we had every chance to beat Alabama, key T/O's and a bad 2nd Qtr kept us from beating Georgia, should have beaten Miss State as well and the loss to Missouri was just because we hung with an injured QB too long. That is 5 lost opportunities that were very much within our reach.

Now we have to own all of those mistakes and there isn't any doubt that this team and staff do take ownership of those mistakes. But we were very, very close to having been 11-1/10-2 as opposed to turning out to be 6-6. But having a young team that was rebounding from a winless SEC season, this team needed to re-learn how to win and finish against big time competition.

I think that this bodes well for our bowl game and for next season.
Go Hogs Go!

The real Hogules

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'd be willing to bet that several of those teams played a tougher OOC schedule than we did this past season and a LOT of our passing and rushing stats were added during those OOC games.
I'm not saying that there wasn't improvement, there most certainly was - especially on the defensive side of the football, but I would have to label our passing game a work in progress.
Hopefully with a healthy Brandon Allen our offense can prove that they are not just one dimensional and make Texas' defense pay if they choose to stack the LOS, as MANY of our opponents chose to do, especially from the middle of the year on.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 20, 2014, 10:05:26 am
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'd be willing to bet that several of those teams played a tougher OOC schedule than we did this past season and a LOT of our passing and rushing stats were added during those OOC games.
I'm not saying that there wasn't improvement, there most certainly was - especially on the defensive side of the football, but I would have to label our passing game a work in progress.
Hopefully with a healthy Brandon Allen our offense can prove that they are not just one dimensional and make Texas' defense pay if they choose to stack the LOS, as MANY of our opponents chose to do, especially from the middle of the year on.

Everybody can have all the misgivings that they want, but if you look at our stats vs. the stats of other P 5 teams who are either predominatly passing or rushing, they are honestly represented and they just are what they are. You can see that our passing stats are low and represented accurately and that would certainly indicate that there is needed improvement. But it isn't just the effectiveness of the passing offense that determines overall team success.

If you look at the bottom line numbers, you can see that we are very close to having had alot more wins than we did. Injured QB, not enough quality receivers, key T/O's at the worst of times, all played into us having a 6-6 record as opposed to something that had the potential to be far greater.

My point here is, we are not that far away and with a little better luck and execution next season, we can have a lot more wins than we did this year. Just look at the numbers, we are very, very close, even this year.

And according to the NCAA, through 12 games, no one played a tougher, more difficult schedule overall, than Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 20, 2014, 10:05:26 am

I bet none of them shut out LSU and UM... I also bet none of them held Bama and MSU under 20 points...  I'm just sayin'...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 20, 2014, 10:17:34 am
I bet none of them shut out LSU and UM... I also bet none of them held Bama and MSU under 20 points...  I'm just sayin'...

And plus, he is talking about our OOC schedule, which included Nicholls State, N. Illinois and UAB. The only OOC opponent included in these stats is Texas Tech because they belong to a P-5 conference, which is what these stats are made of, P-5 opponents only. The vast majority of these stats stem from SEC play.
Go Hogs Go!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 10:17:08 am
Everybody can have all the misgivings that they want, but if you look at our stats vs. the stats of other P 5 teams who are either predominatly passing or rushing, they are honestly represented and they just are what they are. You can see that our passing stats are low and represented accurately and that would certainly indicate that there is needed improvement. But it isn't just the effectiveness of the passing offense that determines overall team success.

If you look at the bottom line numbers, you can see that we are very close to having had alot more wins than we did. Injured QB, not enough quality receivers, key T/O's at the worst of times, all played into us having a 6-6 record as opposed to something that had the potential to be far greater.

My point here is, we are not that far away and with a little better luck and execution next season, we can have a lot more wins than we did this year. Just look at the numbers, we are very, very close, even this year.

And according to the NCAA, through 12 games, no one played a tougher, more difficult schedule overall, than Arkansas.

Muskogee, I can believe it. Every SEC team we played was ranked when the Hogs played them.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 08:26:47 am
Look at the difference in offensive yards required per point compared to what opponents need (defensive yards allowed per point) per scored point. That's the eye opener.
agree. The last stat is pretty salty.

If SEC refmonster had stayed out of it, we'd have beat A&M and Mizzou. That was horse shite. And Bama held all day long. And who knows what would have happened if Auburn didn't clock-whip us and kidnap our coaches in a tie game at halftime.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 11:50:31 am
And plus, he is talking about our OOC schedule, which included Nicholls State, N. Illinois and UAB. The only OOC opponent included in these stats is Texas Tech because they belong to a P-5 conference, which is what these stats are made of, P-5 opponents only. The vast majority of these stats stem from SEC play.
Thanks Muskogee.  That is a key point as many teams, including us, ran up the stat sheet on OOC opponents, especially the non-power 5 teams.  Another good reason not to play FCS teams!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 20, 2014, 11:58:38 am
agree. The last stat is pretty salty.

If SEC refmonster had stayed out of it, we'd have beat A&M and Mizzou. That was horse shite. And Bama held all day long. And who knows what would have happened if Auburn didn't clock-whip us and kidnap our coaches in a tie game at halftime.

Oh I think it is more than that. As I said above we had our chances to win 5 more games than we did. I'll give Auburn that first game because we just didn't get it done, but beyond that there isn't a game that we should have lost with the exception of the Georgia game, that we handed to them on a silver platter with T/O's in the 2nd quarter.

Still, a young team has to learn how to close against a strong team, and that is a learning process for this team.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 12:06:42 pm
Oh I think it is more than that. As I said above we had our chances to win 5 more games than we did. I'll give Auburn that first game because we just didn't get it done, but beyond that there isn't a game that we should have lost with the exception of the Georgia game, that we handed to them on a silver platter with T/O's in the 2nd quarter.

Still, a young team has to learn how to close against a strong team, and that is a learning process for this team.
agreed. I think we definitely hit 9 wins next year, with 10 or 11 if we can FINALLY get a fair ref situation.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

tophawg19

there are so many variables to consider . the one big take away is you can win with either way or split the didderence and stay balanced . bad play calling on offense hurt us and cost wins. i like our direction even though i'm not sure what that will be next year? Once we get a qb who can throw the deep balls accuretely then i think the sky is the limit for us
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The real Hogules

I agree on our defense making huge strides, they kept us in a couple of games that we lost.
Our offense shot itself in the foot with penalties, turnovers at inopportune times and missed opportunities in our passing game.
We can point to our tough conference schedule, but unless the SEC decides to realign the teams currently residing in the Eastern and Western divisions that part of our schedule will remain a tough row to hoe for the foreseeable future.
I certainly won't argue that progress was made, though.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Josh Goforth

December 20, 2014, 01:14:04 pm #23 Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:26:02 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
I may have missed it but what was your definition of what made a passing team or rushing team?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on December 20, 2014, 01:14:04 pm
I may have missed it but what was your definition of what made a passing team or rushing team?

You did miss it in the OP. The top 26 P-5 passing teams in the NCAA in the nation and the top 26 rushing P-5 teams in the nation. Pretty simple.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

conference can factor in as well . Being a run first team is tough in the sec but not bad in the big 12 [ texas league]

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 20, 2014, 01:29:45 pm
conference can factor in as well . Being a run first team is tough in the sec but not bad in the big 12 [ texas league]

As can having what seems to be a good rushing defense in a conference that passes the ball more.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

MHF is there any way to get the stats on BA's deep ball numbers ? I think he isn't very accurate and would like to see what the numbers showed

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 20, 2014, 01:40:23 pm
MHF is there any way to get the stats on BA's deep ball numbers ? I think he isn't very accurate and would like to see what the numbers showed

You are more than welcome to go game by game and play by play but even then, in the absence of the film that the staff has at it's disposal, it will probably be inaccurate.
Go Hogs Go!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Interesting.  As I've said before, I'm not an X's and O's guy or good with stats, but I admit they are telling and I appreciate the information Muskogee.

I think one thing we are seeing overall in college football is that the kind of offense you run is not as important as just doing what you do well.  A lot of analysts focus too much on what the latest trends are, and trying to figure out what style of offense the best teams run.

I don't really care what style of offense we run, as long as what we do, we do it well.  I still believe Chaney, Pittman and this group are some of the best in the business.  I think our current staff is committed to running whatever we run to the best of our ability, and won't settle for anything less.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

gawntrail

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 20, 2014, 01:40:23 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/515915/brandon-allen

This is the best stat breakdown I can find without breaking film.  There is not a shor/medium/long break out in this. 

I would like to see the same thing you mentioned.  I'd also like to see actual yardage of where the ball was caught and then yac.  Those tell a better story.  I don't think they shade better or worse, its just that yac can inflate a qb rating when trying to compare apples to apples.

jabohog

Your stats are interesting, very good job. As you said we are an improved team but we have given some games away in mostly the same way we gave games away last year. The difference being we were closer and didn't get blown out by anyone except Georgia, and we tried to make a game of that one.

It remains though that our running game, while maybe better is still failing us as is shown by second half results when we have to depend on the passing game. While Brandon Allen receives the brunt of the blame, we all know that there are other pieces of the passing game missing, one being the absence of the run and forcing BA to have to pass more than he should. Like you said, this offense hasn't learned to take the ball down and pull out the close games yet, but a better second half run game would go a long way in helping out.
I acually thought BA was finally going to take the team down and pull a win out at Missouri even though he was hurt. Casey Dick was able to do it a time or two so I said this is BA's time, but our running game took it out of his hands by fumbling the ball. Snake Bite shows up again after two outstanding wins at home.

The biggest difference I have seen in the defense is we've gone from a pitiful tackling team to one that not only makes one on one tackles but is also gang tackling. I credit Rob Smith and the other add on coaches for correcting this. It is an amazing difference. We still give up the big play, and that has cost us in some games like MSU, A&M, and Missouri. We lose some studs off this squad this year, we will see how good the coaching is next year. I think the bowl game will go a long way in showing where next year is headed.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2014, 09:34:41 am

!

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 09:54:25 am
Well yeah, we shouldn't have lost to A&M, we had every chance to beat Alabama, key T/O's and a bad 2nd Qtr kept us from beating Georgia, should have beaten Miss State as well and the loss to Missouri was just because we hung with an injured QB too long. That is 5 lost opportunities that were very much within our reach.

Muskogee,  Good ¶ But, I had to add this because I don't remember AA entering the game, unless it was after the alleged Collins fumble when I turned the box off in disgust.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jabohog on December 20, 2014, 02:30:26 pm

The biggest difference I have seen in the defense is we've gone from a pitiful tackling team to one that not only makes one on one tackles but is also gang tackling. I credit Rob Smith and the other add on coaches for correcting this.

This to me was key, as well.  Tackling and covering from the DBs is a skill and an attitude that the coaches have taught.  It bodes well for the future as talent is added.

bennyl08

How much overlap was there? How many teams were in the top 25 of both? While harder to do, it would be interesting to see a comparison removing overlap. Maybe have 3 categories with teams that primarily pass, teams that primarily run, and teams that are equally adept at both. Of course that would beg the question of how you set it up. Do you break it down by balance of play calls or by balance of yards gained? How would you categorize a team that is 70% pass in the first 3 quarters, but at the end of the day appears balanced due to run heavy fourths? All in all, interesting stats.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

redeye

They obviously seem to favor rushing offenses.  SEC teams have been trending to spread offenses throwing the ball, which I think you can see in our stats, but I think many will move back to the running game this off-season.

Our stats imply that we need to improve our passing game, and our passing defense a little, also.

elksnort

One take is, the Razorbacks haves balanced offensive attack.  Calling the Razorbacks a running team is not all together accurate. 

Josh Goforth

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 01:26:32 pm
You did miss it in the OP. The top 26 P-5 passing teams in the NCAA in the nation and the top 26 rushing P-5 teams in the nation. Pretty simple.
So its just based purely on yards and nothing more, not situations like running the clock out when ahead or throwing the ball more when behind which skew the total yards. FEI and F+ take those situations in to account. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feiplus

Josh Goforth

If you are interested in play by play stats that arent usually given, Bill C. has a charting project that puts together what bennyl08 was talking about. Here is the link. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDrM6Yi8_kWcGZfRVRDU2ZiTU0&usp=sharing

Some are not complete.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on December 20, 2014, 10:29:14 pm
So its just based purely on yards and nothing more, not situations like running the clock out when ahead or throwing the ball more when behind which skew the total yards. FEI and F+ take those situations in to account. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feiplus

I understand jg and those are all valuable stats. Here I was just pointing out the general differences in passing and rushing offenses, W-L's, the net yards of each, etc. There are some of you guys who drill down in stats to the point where all of the garbage time is removed and you guys do a great job and the information from Fremeau is outstanding. But that just wasn't needed in this particular case for what I was doing.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: elksnort on December 20, 2014, 05:01:59 pm
One take is, the Razorbacks haves balanced offensive attack.  Calling the Razorbacks a running team is not all together accurate. 

We aren't exactly as balanced as the staff might like us to be at this point, but I think that is certainly the goal.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 20, 2014, 03:15:39 pm
How much overlap was there? How many teams were in the top 25 of both? While harder to do, it would be interesting to see a comparison removing overlap. Maybe have 3 categories with teams that primarily pass, teams that primarily run, and teams that are equally adept at both. Of course that would beg the question of how you set it up. Do you break it down by balance of play calls or by balance of yards gained? How would you categorize a team that is 70% pass in the first 3 quarters, but at the end of the day appears balanced due to run heavy fourths? All in all, interesting stats.

All good questions, Benny. Please feel free to do that homework and add to the thread. I think that would be interesting to know as well.
Go Hogs Go!

scruf

A good WR can instantly improve a QB's deep ball accuracy. If you saw the Eagles/Redskins game yesterday then you saw a good example of this. Desean Jackson tracked down a 55-yarder from RGIII that had drifted on him quite a bit. He did it so fluidly that it covered the inaccuracy of the throw. BA can throw it 55-60 yards in the air but there's not a WR currently on the Arkansas roster that can track an errant pass that deep. Help is on the way.

MuskogeeHogFan

I originally posted these numbers for Texas on reply #5 on this page, but I thought I would compare Texas and Arkansas side by side since we are a little over a week away from the bowl game.

Texas            Hogs
Wins                                6                6
Losses                             6                6
Passing Yds Per Game      211.8           190.3
Passing Yds Allowed         186.3           221.4
Net Yds Difference            25.5            -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game          148.7           220.3
Rush Yds Allowed            162.1           124.0
Net Yds Difference          -13.4             96.3
Total Offense                 360.5            410.6
Total Defense                 348.4            345.4
Net Yds Difference            12.1              65.2
Scoring Offense               22.6              32.0
Scoring Defense               23.3              20.3
Scoring Margin Diff            -0.7              11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      16.0              12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      15.0              17.0
Net Yds Difference             -1.0               4.2
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 21, 2014, 06:11:30 am
I originally posted these numbers for Texas on reply #5 on this page, but I thought I would compare Texas and Arkansas side by side since we are a little over a week away from the bowl game.

Texas            Hogs
Wins                                6                6
Losses                             6                6
Passing Yds Per Game      211.8           190.3
Passing Yds Allowed         186.3           221.4
Net Yds Difference            25.5            -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game          148.7           220.3
Rush Yds Allowed            162.1           124.0
Net Yds Difference          -13.4             96.3
Total Offense                 360.5            410.6
Total Defense                 348.4            345.4
Net Yds Difference            12.1              65.2
Scoring Offense               22.6              32.0
Scoring Defense               23.3              20.3
Scoring Margin Diff            -0.7              11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      16.0              12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      15.0              17.0
Net Yds Difference             -1.0               4.2
i like our chances in this one , especially when you add in the level of competition differences . on paper we are clearly better , on the field to from what i have seen

tophawg19

Quote from: scruf on December 21, 2014, 05:56:22 am
A good WR can instantly improve a QB's deep ball accuracy. If you saw the Eagles/Redskins game yesterday then you saw a good example of this. Desean Jackson tracked down a 55-yarder from RGIII that had drifted on him quite a bit. He did it so fluidly that it covered the inaccuracy of the throw. BA can throw it 55-60 yards in the air but there's not a WR currently on the Arkansas roster that can track an errant pass that deep. Help is on the way.
our WR'S were often open deep and BA threw too flat and badly over threw them or tried to put air under it and floated the ball making it come up short and giving the DB'S time to recover . No team fears our deep passing game because it's just not there . and the few times it was we had drops to make it worse . but most times the WR's did their job well enough

ChitownHawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 20, 2014, 01:54:29 pm
Interesting.  As I've said before, I'm not an X's and O's guy or good with stats, but I admit they are telling and I appreciate the information Muskogee.

I think one thing we are seeing overall in college football is that the kind of offense you run is not as important as just doing what you do well.  A lot of analysts focus too much on what the latest trends are, and trying to figure out what style of offense the best teams run.

I don't really care what style of offense we run, as long as what we do, we do it well.  I still believe Chaney, Pittman and this group are some of the best in the business.  I think our current staff is committed to running whatever we run to the best of our ability, and won't settle for anything less.

When CBB first got here he said something like "You see far more teams lose on Saturday than win." Your point is what he was alluding to. We lost several games this year.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

And here is the 2014 Hogs compared to 2013. The improvement is obvious. Just look at the yards needed to score 1 point as opposed to yards given up to our opponents per point scored. Big swing in efficiency. The good news? We aren't finished improving.

2013            2014
Wins                                3                6
Losses                             9                6
Passing Yds Per Game      148.5           190.3
Passing Yds Allowed         235.0           221.4
Net Yds Difference           -86.5           -31.1
Rush Yds Per Game          208.7           220.3
Rush Yds Allowed            178.4           124.0
Net Yds Difference           30.3             96.3
Total Offense                 357.2            410.6
Total Defense                 413.4            345.4
Net Yds Difference           -56.2              65.2
Scoring Offense               20.7               32.0
Scoring Defense               30.8               20.3
Scoring Margin Diff           -10.1              11.7
Off Yds Needed Per Pt.      17.3              12.8
Def Yds Allowed Per Pt.      13.4              17.0
Net Yds Difference             -3.8               4.2
Go Hogs Go!

scruf

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 21, 2014, 07:45:29 am
    our WR'S were often open deep and BA threw too flat and badly over threw them or tried to put air under it and floated the ball making it come up short and giving the DB'S time to recover . No team fears our deep passing game because it's just not there . and the few times it was we had drops to make it worse . but most times the WR's did their job well enough

"most times" and "well enough" are a big part of the reason we went 6-6 instead of 9-3. A couple of those deep balls looked bad because they were bad and our WR couldn't save them. Others were in the vicinity and catchable by a more elite WR. Several could have been broken up ny the WR but weren't. A few throws looked bad because the WR stemmed the route the wrong direction at the end, i.e. faded the wrong direction, looked over the wrong shoulder.

I don't have a QB agenda here. If there was a better QB on campus that would have given us a greater chance to win more games then a professional coach whose livelihood is based on winning games would have played that player. Here's the hard truth: BA happens to be Arkansas best QB right now.